Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Oh shush, you :)
Nothing but the truth. I shall not be easily silenced as my post count proves here.:p

To elaborate a bit more, I'm a firm believer in complexity and continuity when it comes fictional settings. If you manage to build a very strong foundations, it begs to be build upon and expanded. That's how all the great sci-fi and fantasy game franchises evolve until some idiot decides the trends have changed and reboot them.:)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Hrm......But the one off is intriguing.

I might do a side project in slack time for release whenever it gets finished and see how it's received. A small hour long jobbie...
Well, I'd be cautious about one offs. I haven't seen any that I would like yet here.

For example the Holiday Specials @somebodynobody mentioned are downright terrible. Boring, full of clichés and frowned upon for slowing the update rate.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
I think that is a bit too tough a question to ask this early, especially since the player lacks knowledge of the ending.

The VR book being shared universe kind of also doesn't share one, since it is VR which can be anything.

I would say at this moment either is fine, and you might come up with some other ideas, or small one offs, something akin to how others do Holiday specials.
Aye it was a bit of a stupid question I concede. Just twiddling my thumbs whilst render cranking didn't seem terribly productive. Oh and my apologies for being unclear. Sarah's books are books. Electronic for sure but not VR.
actually that's the best time to ask this question; if there's ever gonna be a sequel, Notty, you would have to start working on foreshadowing events as the story of Book 1 unfolds. this way you can also write down important parts of the lore for book 2

*has no words*

You realise Chapter One is the boring one, yes?
if that's boring then my fav sport is feeding ducks

And grateful for the response. It's really useful asking you guys this sort of thing as a temperature check.

The worse thing about writing H5 pre release was I had no idea what anyone would make of it. At least now I'm not just talking to myself:)
you have no idea how glad I am you didn't chicken out.
As an actual opinion I would do as I mentioned, a one off. Something that is both open and closed ended, so if people like it you can continue, if not then it had a clean cut and you can move onto something else.
how about depicting events that are talked in the BP interview? those could work as one-time special
Aye Rah-rah can come across like that but she's a pretty heavy reader in her spare time. Alright she doesn't read Kafka...;)
That only makes me like her more as she doesn't reed pretencious sociopaths..

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
actually that's the best time to ask this question; if there's ever gonna be a sequel, Notty, you would have to start working on foreshadowing events as the story of Book 1 unfolds. this way you can also write down important parts of the lore for book 2

if that's boring then my fav sport is feeding ducks

you have no idea how glad I am you didn't chicken out.

how about depicting events that are talked in the BP interview? those could work as one-time special

That only makes me like her more as she doesn't reed pretencious sociopaths..
*thinks*

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
imo, sequels in this genre that are just continuations are boring. a sequel with a mostly independent story and a different protagonist sounds exciting though. it allows you to start over with humble beginnings, and there isn't a bunch of arguing about what is and isn't canon
Agreed, that's what I meant. A new protagonist in the same universe.:)

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
imo, sequels in this genre that are just continuations are boring. a sequel with a mostly independent story and a different protagonist sounds exciting though. it allows you to start over with humble beginnings, and there isn't a bunch of arguing about what is and isn't canon
Actually that's baloney. The sequel can't be written without canon lore. And starting from an end save of Book 1 would allow the chance for the same MC to deal with the aftermath of his or her choices. For example... let's say MC romances Chris and she dumps her current cheater. That Bastard could be looking for revenge in book 2, or let's say the MC invokes article 40 to protect Rah Rah. The assailant gets imprisoned, but what if that person evades and decides to finish what the MC prevented?

nvts

Jul 13, 2017
you dont need a bunch of canon if a sequel takes place in a different place with different characters and/or a different time period.

why i think direct sequels with the same character are boring is you start out as a normal, forgettable person in the first game. by the end of the game, you are usually a badass running around grabbing every ass you see saying "its good to be the king." its hard to make a compelling story when you starting out so high. if you knock the protagonist back down to nothing at the beginning of the sequel, a lot of readers will be pissed off that the work they put into building the character in the first game was just washed away in a matter of seconds

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
you dont need a bunch of canon if a sequel takes place in a different place with different characters and/or a different time period.

why i think direct sequels with the same character are boring is you start out as a normal, forgettable person in the first game. by the end of the game, you are usually a badass running around grabbing every ass you see saying "its good to be the king." its hard to make a compelling story when you starting out so high. if you knock the protagonist back down to nothing at the beginning of the sequel, a lot of readers will be pissed off that the work they put into building the character in the first game was just washed away in a matter of seconds
You are missing what could be done
1)humanoid aliens
3)separatist forces wanting the MC

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

Yeah, but this is not a RPG, you are not doing stats buildup. It should have some connection to the first one IMO. New protagonist would be easier to do, but it really depends on what the endings are.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes