DrDerpington

Oct 6, 2017
GM doesn't roll behind cover to cheat the roll outcomes. At least not any GM I would play with. There's a reason why tabletop RPGs have mechanics such as negative hit points or raise dead spells. Yes, it's not fun to have the PCs wiped out all the time, which is why good GMs help them when needed. But not by fixing rolls. That's no fun.

I play a lot of CRPGs based on tabletop rules and they don't cheat "GM" rolls to keep the player alive. If you die, you load a game. Why should this minigame be different?

One possible improvement to CoC could be a difficulty setting for the player to choose. Some people like it hard, some don't.
You are right, that dice rolls are not that important. The single most important thing is the fact, that GM is supposed to help the party to a certain extent. There are different ways for the GM to (cheat) help the players.
Like I have said earlier, it is no fun if everybody dies really early in the game.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
It has been said that the important thing in CoC is just being there to play with her. The outcome of the games are not that important, you maybe get some quirks and kinks of her but that's all in the context of H5. What matters is that you are showing her you want to keep her company even though she's a poor GM.

But obviously those games are part of the player's experience in H5. And god, they can be frustrating and annoying and leave you thinking why am I wasting my nightime slot with Sarah, if there's no 'evident' progress with her and the game itself is not an enjoyable experience due to RGN and her lack of skills. It feels like a chore sometimes and I honestly understand why casual players wants to vent their frustrations with this part of the game. You must be very invested in H5 and Sarah to endure a CoC session without thinking you should never repeat this experience.

At this moment, H5 is not suitable for players who seek 'instant gratification', almost every path is still far away from the most desired outcomes (aka banging the girls you'd like to bang) and all the freeroam exploration can be felt as a filler grind instead of what It actually is (an ambitious world and story building system). People should take this into account before even trying the game out. This is going to be huge once finished, but I always have a hard time to reccommand it to other people as of now

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
It has been said that the important thing in CoC is just being there to play with her. The outcome of the games are not that important, you maybe get some quirks and kinks of her but that's all in the context of H5. What matters is that you are showing her you want to keep her company even though she's a poor GM.
Why not just stick with that then? There is no real punishment for not winning the CoC minigame. It doesn't hamper progress.

...the game itself is not an enjoyable experience due to RGN...
That's a very subjective opinion. For me it is enjoyable thanks to RNG. I've always enjoyed rolling a dice and I've always played RPGs that have a strong element of luck involved in it. There would be very little gameplay or excitement without it. Y'know what I found least enjoyable in CoC? The final encounter - because there was no RNG in it. It was faked and that was frustrating.

I find it mindboggling when people play a game with dice rolls and then complain about RNG. That's like going swimming and complaining the water is wet.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Why not just stick with that then? There is no real punishment for not winning the CoC minigame. It doesn't hamper progress.

That's a very subjective opinion. For me it is enjoyable thanks to RNG. I've always enjoyed rolling a dice and I've always played RPGs that have a strong element of luck involved in it. There would be very little gameplay or excitement without it. Y'know what I found least enjoyable in CoC? The final encounter - because there was no RNG in it. It was faked and that was frustrating.

I find it mindboggling when people play a game with dice rolls and then complain about RNG. That's like going swimming and complaining the water is wet.
No, the comparison is people going swimming and complaining they couldn't win a 1v1 race because they were forced to wear a red cap and some unknown god had decided blue cap will be the winner. I'm playing devil's advocate here, and I don't think is that hard to understand, really. Most people just want to beat games. If you offer them a minigame, players expect to be able to beat it (reasonably fast). It's not really fun to sit with a character you're interested in, just to be killed after 2 dice rolls before the scene is over, when you don't get anything immediately after in exchange. People want to beat that game too, explore all the options included by the dev, because their only incentive to endure that scene is precisely exploring and beating the game, unless they are some RNG junkies like you who enjoy being killed after 2 bad rolls because 'nice, that's how RNG works'. I know, I know, they can try again, but that can be frustrating and feel pointless after a couple of times. When it all comes down to pure RNG, well, I don't really think there are many people like you playing this kind of lewd games, if they really enjoy RNG systems they'd be playing some h-roulette or whatever. I think people play H5 for its story and not for the RNG, so they don't like it that much when they encounter that kind of content. You like that, but according to comments not many people do.

And I know your next point will be that then people should just choose another route, they are plenty for those who don't like to 'swim'. And I'd say there are plenty of unfinished routes that will leave you almost as frustrated because they lead nowhere at this point of development. That's why people say 'my playthrough this chapter was about 15 minutes long'. Because that's what's happening now if you don't like free-roam and focus on any given route. Some players still like the game or find it interesting enough, so they want to make their experience to last longer, so they try some other routes, and then find other things they don't like it either. And there aren't enough incentives implemented as of yet to change that bad taste, except a vague promise of things getting hotter down the line if you take the hundred of needed steps right. And from slightly frustrating, the game becomes annoying, and people come here and complain. That's how I see it and how I think things will go down from here until a real ending is available.

Tl, Dr: Notty wants to please every kind of player with elements they'd like, but at this point of development the largest group of players can't find what they like (sex scenes) and are prone to bitch about all those other elements they don't like and weren't there for them, but they still find just because they want to play the game a bit more to make the download worthwhile.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
No, the comparison is people going swimming and complaining they couldn't win a 1v1 race because they were forced to wear a red cap and some unknown god had decided blue cap will be the winner.
My comparison is complaining about very obvious nature of the given activity. Swimming requires water. Turn-based combat requires an element of randomness.

What do you think should determine a winner in a game with dice? Who can throw fastest? Who can throw farthest? No, the very purpose of a dice is to get a random result. To challenge the lady luck.

Do you think...

There is an orc in the room. He notices you and attacks.
"I fight!"
You automatically kill the orc.
"Yay?"

...would be more fun combat encounter?

People want to beat that game too, explore all the options included by the dev, because their only incentive to endure that scene is precisely exploring and beating the game.

I know, I know, they can try again, but that can be frustrating and feel pointless after a couple of times. When it all comes down to pure RNG, well, I don't really think there are many people like you playing this kind of lewd games, if they really enjoy RNG systems they'd be playing some h-roulette or whatever. I think people play H5 for its story and not for the RNG, so they don't like it that much when they encounter that kind of content. You like that, but according to comments not many people do.

And I know your next point will be that then people should just choose another route, they are plenty for those who don't like to 'swim'. And I'd say there are plenty of unfinished routes that will leave you almost as frustrated because they lead nowhere at this point of development. That's why people say 'my playthrough this chapter was about 15 minutes long'. Because that's what's happening now if you don't like free-roam and focus on any given route. Some players still like the game or find it interesting enough, so they want to make their experience to last longer, so they try some other routes, and then find other things they don't like it either. And there aren't enough incentives implemented as of yet to change that bad taste, except a vague promise of things getting hotter down the line if you take the hundred of needed steps right. And from slightly frustrating, the game becomes annoying, and people come here and complain. That's how I see it and how I think things will go down from here until a real ending is available.
I don't get this "must play everything because I need to beat everything?" mindset, but never mind that. I agree with you those "I want every reward NOW!" people shouldn't play until it's finished.

These in-development playable updates are for people who are interested in the journey not just the destination. For those who can see the bigger picture and think of the potential most of all. Those who don't understand that are not helping.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
My comparison is complaining about very obvious nature of the given activity. Swimming requires water. Turn-based combat requires an element of randomness.

What do you think should determine a winner in a game with dice? Who can throw fastest? Who can throw farthest? No, the very purpose of a dice is to get a random result. To challenge the lady luck.

Do you think...

There is an orc in the room. He notices you and attacks.
"I fight!"
You automatically kill the orc.
"Yay?"

...would be more fun combat encounter?

I don't get this "must play everything because I need to beat everything?" mindset, but never mind that. I agree with you those "I want every reward NOW!" people shouldn't play until it's finished.

These in-development playable updates are for people who are interested in the journey not just the destination. For those who can see the bigger picture and think of the potential most of all. Those who don't understand that are not helping.
Yet they have all the right to complain about all the things they didn't like. This is not a 'show your support to the dev' thread anymore, but a 'discuss the game and its shortcomings' one. Those who actually want to 'help' are already in Notty's forum, I assume.

I have nothing against RNG in CoC. I agree is the only way to do it right. I'm just stating that RNG segments aren't fun to everybody because many people out there just want to win everything they play within the game and feel vastly dissapointed when they can't because it's RNG and there's not a magic walkthrough to lead them to the victory. Or, at least, to make it last long enough to not feel they've wasted that timeslot. Add that to all the unfinished paths and all the fetish content and all the non-likeable characters (for them), and the broadest game out there becomes very thin if they have to opt out of all the content they might not like. So they play that content anyay and they complain, of course. It's only natural after downloading a 7GB game that promise a 'play as you want' experience that you can't enjoy properly if you actually play as you want because it's only chapter 4.

My personal 'issue' with CoC (appart from the untranslatable wordplay jokes) is probably Sarah herself. I mean, I'm still thinking this is all an act, she's putting on a show and these games are more like a trial for us to prove we are really interested in her, so interested that we're willing to accept all her foolish ideas. But oh my, if that's the case she's reaaaally good at that and I'm failing miserably. I need a really strong willpower to accept yet another crappy CoC game (crappy not by Dev design but by Sarah's leading). And to think that playing it won't lead to anything lewd till at least (maybe) 2 more chapters... *sighs* That's really hard. Sometimes I really wish to be killed after 2 bad rolls. Not being a fan of rpg in real life probably detracts from my experience too, but it's this or the VR rapey thingy without the rapey thingy, so... yeah, it's really difficult to force myself to play her paths even though I'm still hoping for her final reveal.

Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Yet they have all the right to complain about all the things they didn't like. This is not a 'show your support to the dev' thread anymore, but a 'discuss the game and its shortcomings' one. Those who actually want to 'help' are already in Notty's forum, I assume.

I have nothing against RNG in CoC. I agree is the only way to do it right. I'm just stating that RNG segments aren't fun to everybody because many people out there just want to win everything they play within the game and feel vastly dissapointed when they can't because it's RNG and there's not a magic walkthrough to lead them to the victory. Or, at least, to make it last long enough to not feel they've wasted that timeslot. Add that to all the unfinished paths and all the fetish content and all the non-likeable characters (for them), and the broadest game out there becomes very thin if they have to opt out of all the content they might not like. So they play that content anyay and they complain, of course. It's only natural after downloading a 7GB game that promise a 'play as you want' experience that you can't enjoy properly if you actually play as you want because it's only chapter 4.

My personal 'issue' with CoC (appart from the untranslatable wordplay jokes) is probably Sarah herself. I mean, I'm still thinking this is all an act, she's putting on a show and these games are more like a trial for us to prove we are really interested in her, so interested that we're willing to accept all her foolish ideas. But oh my, if that's the case she's reaaaally good at that and I'm failing miserably. I need a really strong willpower to accept yet another crappy CoC game (crappy not by Dev design but by Sarah's leading). And to think that playing it won't lead to anything lewd till at least (maybe) 2 more chapters... *sighs* That's really hard. Sometimes I really wish to be killed after 2 bad rolls. Not being a fan of rpg in real life probably detracts from my experience too, but it's this or the VR rapey thingy without the rapey thingy, so... yeah, it's really difficult to force myself to play her paths even though I'm still hoping for her final reveal.
Everything you say make me feel that you're forcing yourself to play a game you don't like. Maybe you shoud just drop it, there is nothing wrong with that.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
More of a "thrash the game" thread this year. I suppose you're right. It's not the feedback and discussion thread it used to be. It sorta makes sense without dev presence, unfortunately.

Then I don't see the problem. I'd accept your points if playing CoC was necessary but it's not. And the RNG shouldn't come as a surprise. It's a tabletop RPG minigame, so of course there would be RNG. How can anyone expect something else? I think it becomes apparent soon enough that this isn't a simple VN, and most activities have some kind of gameplay element to them. Moreso, it's possible to switch from CoC to VR after the first (and even second I think?) session. I'd think the lack of "Completed" prefix is rather telling that paths are unfinished, no? A single playthrough regardless of choices offers significant playtime I'd argue. Those who claim otherwise either skip or take no time to think about what they read.

Heh, I rather agree with your thoughts on Sarah. I think she's defo playing with us in more ways than one. :sneaky:

Personally, I don't think she's that bad as a GM. She can sometimes go into interesting details (not talking about orcs) and certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm. For a light-hearted play I rather enjoy her silliness. Sometimes that's better than a super serious GM.

Reactions: Jaun Karr

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Everything you say make me feel that you're forcing yourself to play a game you don't like. Maybe you shoud just drop it, there is nothing wrong with that.
No, please don't get me wrong. I do like the game because I see the project as a whole and even though some parts are not made for my tastes, I still see the insane amount of work behind them and the overall thing is going to be just great if she keeps going like this (and mostly I want to see what the hell is going on in Ophion). I'm just stating why other people don't like it, I find that criticism absolute legit because I understand their standpoint and how they played the game, expecting something else that simply is not there and getting frustrated by the content not designed for them but that they still find anyway while searching for something they hoped they could like. These are not people bashing the dev out with false accusations of milking and so on, these are people who played the game and hoped to like it but just couldn't, and then come here and try to explain why. And of course their comments are bitter and sometimes even illogical, because they just didn't like the game and there's no technical reason for it but just a personal feeling of... wasted time and frustration due to gameplay elements they never like. It's hard to explain that in a way you wouldn't find irrational or even offensive because they'll tend to focus precisely on those elements they absolutely hate and build their comment from there, and then you are going to think why the hell were they even playing to begin with. Of course you're going to think they can't appreciate nor even understand all what you love about H5 and they should just go and stay away (which is what they're going to do anyway). But I do understand them. That's all.

May 6, 2019
Mike has the ladder, so go see him at the power plant. You can find the drill in the workshop table.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I got the ladder and I found the drill, but for some reason, it won't let me grab the drill. The MC just keeps saying "Easy access general toolkit. Handy for hitting pipes with but not much else" Am I supposed to do something else first or is this a bug in the game?

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I got the ladder and I found the drill, but for some reason, it won't let me grab the drill. The MC just keeps saying "Easy access general toolkit. Handy for hitting pipes with but not much else" Am I supposed to do something else first or is this a bug in the game?
You just to know where it is, so that your character can automatically get it and use when needed. You should now be able to open the vent.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes