Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Because MEGA has a download limit... I would have to take more than 2 breaks to download anything above 10 gb... and that's at least 6 hours
Well, that's true, but I was thinking more of using a bittorrent for a large download. Nowadays, even big gaming companies use it. You don't get restrictions with that.

Reactions: TheDevian

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
You sure are not.:)

But I don't see it as a terrible price to pay in case there issues with the modular approach.
@Nottravis I mean that's the very reason why is almost everyone else doing it like that, I think. To avoid things breaking due to the separation. I imagine it would be much more convenient for everyone to have every update working on its own.

My suggestion is to do, like you've written at the end. Release it combined and then work out how (if) it can be tweaked later without any (self-imposed) pressure. Making system changes at the last moment is never a good idea IMO.:)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
@Nottravis I mean that's the very reason why is almost everyone else doing it like that, I think. To avoid things breaking due to the separation. I imagine it would be much more convenient for everyone to have every update working on its own.

My suggestion is to do, like you've written at the end. Release it combined and then work out how (if) it can be tweaked later without any (self-imposed) pressure. Making system changes at the last moment is never a good idea IMO.:)
*answers from the tub as she's ranker than an ensign after an Ophion attack after the past two days*

That's my fall back but long term it's not sustainable.

Y'see if I take an average of 40 renders a scene (I base that off Sarah's vr game which is the last number I recall) and I'm doing that level of output of say 400 renders now...

What will happen when I get new graphics cards? Oh sure I'll steal some efficiency to make the graphics better but I'll also be increasing the size of the chapters too.

Let's fantasy spitball for a sec. Assume in five months I have a super rig. Say two 8gb cards. So in theory 8x my current power. Let's knock that down to six time for IT reasons I don't understand, then reduce it to 4x for improved quality.

So I can now produce 1600 renders a month on the same time it takes me to do 400. Better ones too.

If you knew how many scenes I chop and curtail just for render limitations. Given that power I would use it.

So we'd be looking at each chapter rocking in at probs 1.6gb. This is why I need to do the split :)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
*answers from the tub as she's ranker than an ensign after an Ophion attack after the past two days*

Y'see if I take an average of 40 renders a scene (I base that off Sarah's vr game which is the last number I recall) and I'm doing that level of output of say 400 renders now...

What will happen when I get new graphics cards? Oh sure I'll steal some efficiency to make the graphics better but I'll also be increasing the size of the chapters too.

Let's fantasy spitball for a sec. Assume in five months I have a super rig. Say two 8gb cards. So in theory 8x my current power. Let's knock that down to six time for IT reasons I don't understand, then reduce it to 4x for improved quality.

So I can now produce 1600 renders a month on the same time it takes me to do 400. Better ones too.

If you knew how many scenes I chop and curtail just for render limitations. Given that power I would use it.

So we'd be looking at each chapter rocking in at probs 1.6gb. This is why I need to do the split :)
Yep, I totally agree on why you would want to do the split, though I don't know of anyone actually doing it like that.

It's more that I don't see this as something you should push yourself to do just before the release if it has problems.:)

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017

Notty, weren't you supposed to rest?

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes