Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
On the other hand, MC is not part of the flight crew, so Chris making a decision not to give MC a choice in the matter is perfectly justified. She is the commanding officer in that situation.
You're right, she's commanding officer and she should be the one making a decision. She might take the imput from MC (especially if it's something that he specializes in) but in the end it should always be her decision. MC should never be given a choice of what to do...

Reactions: Nottravis

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
You're right, she's commanding officer and she should be the one making a decision. She might take the imput from MC (especially if it's something that he specializes in) but in the end it should always be her decision. MC should never be given a choice of what to do...
She has command on the Vanguard, cause it's, you know, her ship and all. Not on Ophion. That's MC's mission.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Re: the choice she gives the MC,

Considering that she is expecting temps of around 50° C (122° F) if he's willing to use the only vacuum suit available to walk out and close the airbrake door their chances of making it are greatly multiplied. If he dies during the excursion and they make it down he'll probably get a posthumous medal or something. If he's too chicken-shit to try it, then fine, she'll try not to pass out, although at those temps her reaction times will be slowed.

I've trained at White Sands where it was 126° F (52.2° C) in the shade and I can assure you, the heat makes you stupid. We had a few guys pass out and one that washed out completely - heat stroke.

edited: because I can good talk, no

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
She has command on the Vanguard, cause it's, you know, her ship and all. Not on Ophion. That's MC's mission.
Right, I was talking about that situation. Now that they are on Ophion he should be in charge. Whether or not she'll follow his orders is another question...
...If he's too chicken-shit to try it, then fine, she'll try not to pass out, although at those temps her reaction times will be greatly slowed. ...
Except that he never space walked before... might not even had any training at doing it. The only reason they even consider sending him out is because he is the only one who fit the only suit they have. The issue wasn't if he could close the doors (as an engineer he should be able to do it relatively easy), but whether he can even reach the doors to close them.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Except that he never space walked before... might not even had any training at doing it.
True, although I did find that a bit strange. Just as in the US Navy and US Marine Corps you go have swimming as part of your boot camp, I would have assumed the same from this Navy. I.e. I would assume that they actually trained for spacewalks (or at least something as basic as using magnetic boots in microgravity) as part of their basic training / boot camp.

Since I don't have the entire lore of the H5 universe at hand I can't say whether that is the case or not. Even if it weren't the case, he had Annie to walk him through it, and generally speaking, when you give a grunt a pair of sticky boots and tell him "walk on the outside of the ship to save the pretty girls (and yourself) from burning up," that grunt will figure it out. Especially if there's a chance of some kind of hero's reward waiting at the end.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
True, although I did find that a bit strange. Just as in the US Navy and US Marine Corps you go have swimming as part of your boot camp, I would have assumed the same from this Navy. I.e. I would assume that they actually trained for spacewalks (or at least something as basic as using magnetic boots in microgravity) as part of their basic training / boot camp.

Since I don't have the entire lore of the H5 universe at hand I can't say whether that is the case or not. Even if it weren't the case, he had Annie to walk him through it, and generally speaking, when you give a grunt a pair of sticky boots and tell him "walk on the outside of the ship to save the pretty girls (and yourself) from burning up," that grunt will figure it out. Especially if there's a chance of some kind of hero's reward waiting at the end.
Yeah, swimming is part of boot camp, but spacewalk would be equivalent of diving. I don't know if diving is part of boot camp, but I also find it weird that as engineer working on space ship he didn't get any spacewalk training. Then again, he does said he's ground engineer and part of infantry so maybe that is why he didn't get any training.

You're right about him figuring it out in this situation... especially with potential for some kind of reward from girls afterwards.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Fine, I take it back (in one specific scenario). I thought you need to complain about the crew to get into this situation, but it seems declining the boxing offer alone is enough.
Just replayed Chapter 1 and decided to pressure Chris on why Harris left... never even got a chance to engage in small talk or discuss boxing with her (let alone accept or decline sparring) and yet, MC get an option to choose what to do.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Right, I was talking about that situation.
Well, I wasn't sure. It seemed to me like you started talking in general all of a sudden.

Yeah, swimming is part of boot camp, but spacewalk would be equivalent of diving. I don't know if diving is part of boot camp, but I also find it weird that as engineer working on space ship he didn't get any spacewalk training. Then again, he does said he's ground engineer and part of infantry so maybe that is why he didn't get any training.
Yep. I think this is a highly specialized kind of maintenance that only select few engineers on board the Intrepid do. It makes sense to me why he wouldn't get any training in something that is very different from his position. I mean he works on a starship, but he probably doesn't work ON a starship. :)

Just replayed Chapter 1 and decided to pressure Chris on why Harris left... never even got a chance to engage in small talk or discuss boxing with her (let alone accept or decline sparring) and yet, MC get an option to choose what to do.
It's one of the things I discovered yesterday.:) I think she actually respects when you demand the answer because it shows to her that you are focused on the mission. If you decline boxing and do this, you'll get the choice.

If you just say hi to her and then don't ask anything, she'll give you the choice as well. Basically, at the start she respects you enough to consider your opinion. :)

Oh and thanks for this discussion. As much as we tend to disagree on things, it helped me find some very interesting pieces of the puzzle that I have missed in Chapter 1.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Morning boys :)

It's all actually less about the MC's choices - but about Chadwick's...and she doesn't really have any.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer :)

Edit. You of course may have made your decision on entirely different basis to how Chris -thinks- you made it of course :)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
@Nottravis I was taking a look at chapter 1 again, I used unren (this pulls all the files out of game), it showed the images file folders, I see 3 images of Annie I never saw in all my playthroughs, but what I wanted to mention is that the folder for Hangar is named Hanger, as is one image in that folder. I thought I should mention it just in case it causes problems in the future chapters.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
@Nottravis I was taking a look at chapter 1 again, I used unren (this pulls all the files out of game), it showed the images file folders, I see 3 images of Annie I never saw in all my playthroughs, but what I wanted to mention is that the folder for Hangar is named Hanger, as is one image in that folder. I thought I should mention it just in case it causes problems in the future chapters.
Thankees. Thankfully the "Hangar/Hanger" folder shouldn't cause any problems as the folder reference isn't called in the coding but I'll add it to my tidy up list :) I 'll double check that image reference tho. (Edit. Double checked. We're fine as it's misspelled in the code too!)

And, aye, I know the three images you mean :) Very, very, hard to trigger if I recall. Not important of course, but nice for someone perhaps when they play through the completed game again one day and go "Wtf...". I might make that small scene a tad easier to activate however when I remaster.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Morning boys :)

It's all actually less about the MC's choices - but about Chadwick's...and she doesn't really have any.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer :)

Edit. You of course may have made your decision on entirely different basis to how Chris -thinks- you made it of course :)
Can I just say it was lovely to read?:love:

If I was doing the investigation (while having a CVR or its alternative at disposal) in a scenario where the Vanguard crashed with her making the call of not giving the MC the call to try and fix a potentially deadly malfunction, I would cite flight commander's unwillingness to try to use all available options at her disposal to mitigate the risk as a minor contributing factor.

However, she's only human and it's a tough call to make in a highly irregular situation. I don't assume asking an untrained passenger to put himself at risk was covered in her training, nor that it should be.:)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Can I just say it was lovely to read?:love:

If I was doing the investigation (while having a CVR or its alternative at disposal) in a scenario where the Vanguard crashed with her making the call of not giving the MC the call to try and fix a potentially deadly malfunction, I would cite flight commander's unwillingness to try to use all available options at her disposal to mitigate the risk as a minor contributing factor.

However, she's only human and it's a tough call to make in a highly irregular situation. I don't assume asking an untrained passenger to put himself at risk was covered in her training, nor that it should be.:)
You're welcome :)

Nobody is perfect and neither are my characters. They'll behave rationally within the confines of their own drives of course. But none of them are Mary or John Sues. :)

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Someone in the story is perfect
Come now, they're all perfect, in their imperfect ways.

Now... since I have the bigger paycheck, how do I convince Annie to quit and marry me? I mean, she has it all:
  • Snarky and warped sense of humor (or should I say, humour since this is written across the pond)
  • Quick wit and obvious intelligence
  • Mechanical ability (I love strong women who know how to do things and aren't afraid of work)
  • Likely to call me out when I'm being an ass (if your partner doesn't do that, you're in the wrong relationship)
  • I'd be able to talk about my work day and she'd understand what I'm talking about (fellow engineer) <- Not required, but a definite bonus*
If I needed to, I could probably come up with a similar list for the others** as well, once I get myself into the right MC headspace (oooh, new nerdcore rapper name there - MC Headspace, or MC Main Character... who goes by MC MC).

* IRL - when I talk to my wife about my work day, and try to explain what I've done she politely nods and smiles, and asks "is that a good thing?" If I answer in the affirmative she says "I'm happy for you." If not she says "I'm sorry to hear that."

**Excepting Trisha - from what I've seen of her, she's bad news just looking for a front page.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

Now... since I have the bigger paycheck, how do I convince Annie to quit and marry me? I mean, she has it all:
  • Snarky and warped sense of humor (or should I say, humour since this is written across the pond)
  • Mechanical ability (I love strong women who know how to do things and aren't afraid of work)
  • Likely to call me out when I'm being an ass (if your partner doesn't do that, you're in the wrong relationship)
  • I'd be able to talk about my work day and she'd understand what I'm talking about (fellow engineer) <- Not required, but a definite bonus*
If I needed to, I could probably come up with a similar list for the others** as well, once I get myself into the right MC headspace (oooh, new nerdcore rapper name there - MC Headspace, or MC Main Character... who goes by MC MC).

* IRL - when I talk to my wife about my work day, and try to explain what I've done she politely nods and smiles, and asks "is that a good thing?" If I answer in the affirmative she says "I'm happy for you." If not she says "I'm sorry to hear that."

**Excepting Trisha - from what I've seen of her, she's bad news just looking for a front page.
I'm not saying. :)

But I will say this much. If it's what you really want you can end up as a perm couple by the end of the game with one of four out of the ten girls...

And Trisha? Bad news? Surely not...

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

I agree. If I were to make a list of the top 10 girls of all the visual novels I've played, all three of them would made it in (with Annie scoring the highest ;)) and I pretty much always only pick one girl a game.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I feel like I just failed a logic check. Is it 4 out of 10 or 1/4 of 10?o_O
I think what she's saying is:

There are 10 ladies the MC can pursue...
Of those, 4 can lead to a permanent relationship...
But you can only form a permanent relationship with one in any play-through.

If you do lots of play-throughs, and see each as it's own parallel universe, there are four universes in which the MC can end up in a permanent situation with a different woman.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes