RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
I hate using those stores, and one game every year or 3 is usually my limit cost wise. Last game I bought was Fallout4, and boy was that a disappointment. I might get CP2077 on GOG next year, but that is about the only AAA title on my radar right now.
With a 80-90% discount you can probably buy a few more games per year.;)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

snakeplisskin

Mar 19, 2018
A bit of both maybe? I know I went too slow, but I played every origin, every gender, tried things in different orders, with different companions, classes, and so on. I spent about that much time on Wizardry 7 too...

It also makes a difference that I have a very tiny budget for games, so I didn't have a lot to choose from. :whistle:
I understand that, i have had my game bugdet be extremely small this year. and i think i have bought maybe 2 games so far and ita kiling me.

I do game really fast though as well. I tend to get really into a game and just play the crap out of it fallout 4 onky took me 130 hours to do everything plus all dlc
I hate using those stores, and one game every year or 3 is usually my limit cost wise. Last game I bought was Fallout4, and boy was that a disappointment. I might get CP2077 on GOG next year, but that is about the only AAA title on my radar right now.
I actaully really enjoyed fallout 4, but it is also my only fallout game.

• Thinking Face

frap

Oct 17, 2018
More seriously, I totally get you. I've been looking for how long it would take a few boat in the 11th century to go from Greenland to Canada. By chance, there is historical data about this. But when you try to make up a new world, you start thinking about how everything is related to everything, how are the new clothes made, where you find fuel and other energy resources, what kind of currency is used, how the banks work, what are the politics in place, etc. A simple detail might call for a lot of explanations, and sometimes, it might be best to leave out details that have no direct incidence on the story.

I actually disagree. You know if the year is mentioned, we're going to play around it, start asking questions, try to tweak it to feed our theories, etc.
Yep. For the novel I'm working on I have:
Government
Political Structures (and parties, and how voting works, and representation, etc)
Military Structure
Civil Service
Housing / Education / Healthcare / Transportation (air, land, sea, space sub-light and FTL)
Communication (and how FTL communication works)
Networking
AI
Food production
Basic goods production
Heavy industry
Energy production
Travel speeds and travel times between systems
etc
etc
etc

I actually have a private wiki that I keep up to date with all this stuff so I can refer back and make sure I'm not contradicting myself.

Don't forget disruptive technologies that come along. Where everything before has to be torn down to use them. A few examples would be Nuclear power, Quantum Computer or Reversible computing where basically the whole internet will need to be re-written and re-fabricated with new components to work with it.

And don't forget disruptive events like global conflict or globally-impacting climate change. (Plays a major role in my novel's back-story)

So, yeah, it would be easy to fall down the rabbit hole on this one. Better that we just know "it's in the future" and leave it at that.

I thought about doing a *poof* back out, but I don't want to steal Notty's IP. ;)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I was reading it that I'm not allowed to be "not straight" with anyone else...

*is owned!*
We all know how it is sweety, you've had a busy day, you are hungry....

You get home and you scour the house for food. You search the cupboards but you haven't been shopping yet, you search the fridge but all you have is some pineapple juice and baby bells....

You wonder what to do, then it dawns on you .... take away.

Suddenly your friendly neighbourhood ginger lesbian turns up but Notty is still hungry....

Ava, being the awesome friend she is, offers you the only thing you need ever eat.

She sits down, spreads apart those thighs and offers you a hot, juicy, succulent ..... chicken leg because Ava looks after her friends well being.

popabear

Jul 11, 2019
I have seen animosity like that turn into sexual tension... hard to say.
I'm rooting so hard for angry sex with Chris you have no idea
So why wouldn't others ponder speed/distance etc.
It isn't too complicated. My 2 cents:
The time it takes a vessel to reach a destination is limited by light speed (but who says it must? Plenty of sci-fi stuff use faster-than-light travel. Though FTL travel is pretty much indistinguishable from time travel into the past, so that might get messy).

A few light years is enough to cover the closest stars. 5-10 light years is reasonable for this setting. Interestingly, time passes differently aboard the ship proportional to the travel speed where faster speed means shorter time, and where light speed travel is instant.
You have already kinda sorta revealed that the travel time is not extreme (like years) so that means the ship must be travelling at pretty close to the speed of light (or maybe even faster). To be consistent with real life physics such a journey should take 5-10 years from the viewpoint of an Earth or Ophion observer. A round trip is thus 10-20 years, but the people travelling would experience anything from seconds to many years depending on the speed. A small drawback of this system is that any transmissions from Earth would arrive on Ophion with the same time lag. The news from Earth would thus be 5-10 years old.

If you don't want to be bothered with the difference in time passed, then wormhole physics could solve that for you. If space is "bent" so that two distant regions somehow become connected then pretty much anything goes and everything could be in "real time" without any difference in the progression of time depending on if you are on the ship or not.

I totally understand why you don't want to touch this subject, but honestly I think it would be really cool if you did.

• Haha

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017

You get home and you scour the house for food. You search the cupboards but you haven't been shopping yet, you search the fridge but all you have is some pineapple juice and baby bells....

Suddenly your friendly neighbourhood ginger lesbian turns up but Notty is still hungry....

Ava, being the awesome friend she is, offers you the only thing you need ever eat.

She sits down, spreads apart those thighs and offers you a hot, juicy, succulent ..... chicken leg because Ava looks after her friends well being.
That was bad, you can't do stories like that! I mean to keep people guessing until the very end only to drop a massive twist at the end! Who would do such a thing? ;) :whistle:

• Haha
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: DA22 and TheDevian

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

So....You keep your chicken in a greasy box?

*smiles innocently*

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I'm rooting so hard for angry sex with Chris you have no idea

It isn't too complicated. My 2 cents:
The time it takes a vessel to reach a destination is limited by light speed (but who says it must? Plenty of sci-fi stuff use faster-than-light travel. Though FTL travel is pretty much indistinguishable from time travel into the past, so that might get messy).

A few light years is enough to cover the closest stars. 5-10 light years is reasonable for this setting. Interestingly, time passes differently aboard the ship proportional to the travel speed where faster speed means shorter time, and where light speed travel is instant.
You have already kinda sorta revealed that the travel time is not extreme (like years) so that means the ship must be travelling at pretty close to the speed of light (or maybe even faster). To be consistent with real life physics such a journey should take 5-10 years from the viewpoint of an Earth or Ophion observer. A round trip is thus 10-20 years, but the people travelling would experience anything from seconds to many years depending on the speed. A small drawback of this system is that any transmissions from Earth would arrive on Ophion with the same time lag. The news from Earth would thus be 5-10 years old.

If you don't want to be bothered with the difference in time passed, then wormhole physics could solve that for you. If space is "bent" so that two distant regions somehow become connected then pretty much anything goes and everything could be in "real time" without any difference in the progression of time depending on if you are on the ship or not.

I totally understand why you don't want to touch this subject, but honestly I think it would be really cool if you did.
The whole time dilation effect was a key reason I parked it tbh.

This is sorta what I meant when I referred to the time/distance thing. It just becomes a nightmare and is so easy to trip up on.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes