Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'm doing the same :D I've put in a few lines that only people really fluent in French and who love contrepèteries (or spoonerism) would ever understand, and I'm not mentioning the numerous useless scenes that one can only see if one follows a very specific course of action \o/

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I'm doing the same :D I've put in a few lines that only people really fluent in French and who love contrepèteries (or spoonerism) would ever understand, and I'm not mentioning the numerous useless scenes that one can only see if one follows a very specific course of action \o/
*approves!*

I'll be honest one of the things that I get a kick out of is knowing that someone will be playing this at some point and suddenly go "I get it!" and howl at a joke that no one else has spotted or smile wryly at a reference that no one else has got. I dunno why but it just tickles me that there are all these hidden bits that one day someone will enjoy.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
The first is I'm not sure the content would be suitable for Steam. I know we haven't seen much yet but that's largely due to the nature of putting the story first but as we progress....*taps chin and thinks*. Alright, all the content is gated so the player should never see anything they don't want to but that doesn't get around the fact that the content -can- get pretty...um...beyond kinky? Should I be able to do everything I want to do, H5 will end up being one of the more extreme games on the site, and I'm really not sure how that would roll with Steam.
I think there wouldn't be problems as long as nothing beyond kinky appears on the store page. Some things should never be advertised.

The second point, and the one that might be more of a sticking point, is my own attitude on this. I don't wish to sound judgemental or priggish about this (and yes I know I'm typing this on a pirate site which will make this sound even odder!) but I don't know if it would be ethical for me to do so.

Y'see the game will only get made as good as the final product will be due to my patrons. No ifs and buts about it. I've been very strict with myself in that this is a hobby that has to be self funding so that means that the patron cash goes back into assets, hardware etc.

So what we will get at completion is largely what the patrons have contributed to. They will have, bar the nonsense I type, have made it. It's their game really - not mine. So for me to pop that up on Steam and make cash off the back of it sits somewhat uneasy with me. Yes, yes, there is effort on my part I know - and yes, yes, extra cash will help the next game and the next etc. But...it would still feel odd? I'll have to think about this some more - but that can wait until Chapter Ten is out perhaps :)

But, thanks :)
I can speak only for myself, but it is my wish as a patron for you to sell the game after it's finished. IMO it is rather revolutionary as far as adult VNs go and it would be a shame for all those who will miss the development phase not to be able to buy it. I see getting the finished game on the market as one of primary goals. It shouldn't be a game for a chosen few, so to speak. Also, a hobby project or not, I hope we will get to a point where the money goes towards the most important asset: yourself. :)

Then there's also the assurance the game won't eventually disappear. Say, I would want it replay it ten years from now, would I be able to? If it was in my steam library, I'm fairly assured I would.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well, I have half of that. My French sucks, but I do love Spooerisms. :geek:

popabear

Jul 11, 2019
*peeks in*

Thank you for this and I appreciate both the heads up and for the idea. But, at the risk of sounding ungrateful (when I'm most certainly not!) is I don't think this would work for me.

Two things instantly cross my mind.

The first is I'm not sure the content would be suitable for Steam. I know we haven't seen much yet but that's largely due to the nature of putting the story first but as we progress....*taps chin and thinks*. Alright, all the content is gated so the player should never see anything they don't want to but that doesn't get around the fact that the content -can- get pretty...um...beyond kinky? Should I be able to do everything I want to do, H5 will end up being one of the more extreme games on the site, and I'm really not sure how that would roll with Steam.
Depraved awakening is pretty... depraved... and that one got the green light! I think as long as you steer clear of pedo stuff I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

The second point, and the one that might be more of a sticking point, is my own attitude on this. I don't wish to sound judgemental or priggish about this (and yes I know I'm typing this on a pirate site which will make this sound even odder!) but I don't know if it would be ethical for me to do so.

Y'see the game will only get made as good as the final product will be due to my patrons. No ifs and buts about it. I've been very strict with myself in that this is a hobby that has to be self funding so that means that the patron cash goes back into assets, hardware etc.

So what we will get at completion is largely what the patrons have contributed to. They will have, bar the nonsense I type, have made it. It's their game really - not mine. So for me to pop that up on Steam and make cash off the back of it sits somewhat uneasy with me. Yes, yes, there is effort on my part I know - and yes, yes, extra cash will help the next game and the next etc. But...it would still feel odd? I'll have to think about this some more - but that can wait until Chapter Ten is out perhaps :)

But, thanks :)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim that your patreons most likely will consider it a very good thing if you somehow acquired extra funding, as long as that funding isn't going into luxury yachts and a serious coke habit.
Being a patreon does not imply ownership in the same sense that a Kickstarter campaign would and I'm not seeing anyone bashing Philly over his decision either. You haven't signed the legal rights to your work away right? You are free to do whatever the hell you want with it and I'll punch anyone who would claim otherwise in the face.

It's a nice thought though, the "by and for Patreons", but I consider it a luxury indulgence that will only stand in the way of Smuttress Inc being the best it can be. I've said this before but I think you worry a little too much about what your fanbase would think. You are already the coolest dev ever and your content speaks for itself. You don't have to worry about this.

It's not "selling out" to do what you can to finance and grow your hobby. I hate to sound like a capitalist here but more money in your pocket is better for everyone involved. You can buy better gear, licences, outsource some tasks, maybe cut down on your day job et c. All this would allow you to create more and better content, which we, your customers, would absolutely love. It's a clear win-win for everyone! There is nothing shameful about being financially successful and there's nothing odd about it.

I'll tell you my vision: Christian morals have dictated the way entertainment industry works for too long and a change is underway. The world is becoming increasingly secularized and what would previously have been considered taboo because of christian morality is becoming mainstream and OK. Sex and eroticism makes the fucking world go around! Everything is about sex, overtly or covertly, so why should gaming be an exception? Old morals and wrinkly old men in suits stand in the way of progress, but not for long. Steam opening up for adult games is a sign of the floodgates opening. The way I see it, this is the beginning of a 2000 IT boom era of expansion for erotic game titles and I'm pretty sure the adult gaming equivalent of "Bill Gates' garage" is right here, on f95, Patreon and Steam. I can't recall you talking about your long-term ambitions, but if they're anything other than "start a genre defining powerhouse of the adult gaming industry" then I think you're selling yourself short. You have the talent and grit to make it! These are times to dream big. Opportunity is here for those who dare dream and act. Don't be afraid of success!

Here's to hoping that in 15 years, Smutress Inc buys EA and Activision and everyone starts fucking in triple-A quality to the roaring approval of the (18+) masses.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
On this...and remember that ACIO and the content is gated, Chapter Four alone includes...

...and the content keeps getting heavier as we go on. So...yeah. BUT! Remember! ACIO :)

*is now worried she'll put people off!*
let the cowards run... but wait... Trisha won't try to rape the liutenant, won't she?
geez! just because Huitieme likes to pour aaeu du blackmail, doesn't mean we have to chastise him for that every time...
*poofs and goes back to wetting vagina's...*
wetting vaginas and hardening blocks.... that's some wierd construction site

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
View attachment 374423

That's very commendable of you and I agree that further discussion should wait for the last chapter to be out, but you cannot blame peeps wishing to see a game they love getting the "official" recognition it deserves ;) Also, patrons may be the one funding the game, but you're still the artist. It would be like denying Michelangelo's involvement in the Sistine chapel's reputation. Sure, the church paid for the paint, but without Mikey, no one would care. Plus, the guy became some kind of mutant turtle at the end of his life. That was awkward.
What he says. Especially about the turtles. :ROFLMAO:

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
On this...and remember that ACIO and the content is gated, Chapter Four alone includes...

...and the content keeps getting heavier as we go on. So...yeah. BUT! Remember! ACIO :)

*is now worried she'll put people off!*
Yeah incest may be a no go on steam but i am pretty sure the rest would be greenlit. :unsure:

let the cowards run... but wait... Trisha won't try to rape the liutenant, won't she?
Yeah i think she can be one of those 4 counts.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes