TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Notty, please don't take this the wrong way...
This is in no way me asking when the update is coming... Genuinely!
How are you doing? Are you stressing about getting an update out?
You can release it when it's ready and nobody here (or on Patreon, although I expect we're all here too) will mind! :)
I heard that it was ready to go out next week, but it was stolen, and the only thing left in its place was this card... 376071_PPF.jpg

Of course I'm stressing about getting an update out :)

Four is bigger than Three by about 10-15% judging on word count - and that's excluding playtime which I expect will end up considerably more. The renders are both significantly more complex and of greater count so...yeah. A little bit "Nightmare City, Arizona" tbh. :)

And if that wasn't enough some of the code is boggling in it's complexity for the Sarah and Chris set pieces - and that's before I have to make a call on what to do with Annie's scene.

But as always, it's the renders. I ask far too much of my system tbh. And when it's not a race to just generate the @700 renders there is also the QC aspect of it. This weekend was a bust as I played with three different sets of vaginas in a single scene trying to get colouring and shape right...

Still! Onwards!
I am sure it's going to be great! ...once you get it back from Thea and her crew of beta testers.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
That's very commendable of you and I agree that further discussion should wait for the last chapter to be out, but you cannot blame peeps wishing to see a game they love getting the "official" recognition it deserves ;) Also, patrons may be the one funding the game, but you're still the artist. It would be like denying Michelangelo's involvement in the Sistine chapel's reputation. Sure, the church paid for the paint, but without Mikey, no one would care. Plus, the guy became some kind of mutant turtle at the end of his life. That was awkward.

I think there wouldn't be problems as long as nothing beyond kinky appears on the store page. Some things should never be advertised.

I can speak only for myself, but it is my wish as a patron for you to sell the game after it's finished. IMO it is rather revolutionary as far as adult VNs go and it would be a shame for all those who will miss the development phase not to be able to buy it. I see getting the finished game on the market as one of primary goals. It shouldn't be a game for a chosen few, so to speak. Also, a hobby project or not, I hope we will get to a point where the money goes towards the most important asset: yourself. :)

Then there's also the assurance the game won't eventually disappear. Say, I would want it replay it ten years from now, would I be able to? If it was in my steam library, I'm fairly assured I would.
Depraved awakening is pretty... depraved... and that one got the green light! I think as long as you steer clear of pedo stuff I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim that your patreons most likely will consider it a very good thing if you somehow acquired extra funding, as long as that funding isn't going into luxury yachts and a serious coke habit.
Being a patreon does not imply ownership in the same sense that a Kickstarter campaign would and I'm not seeing anyone bashing Philly over his decision either. You haven't signed the legal rights to your work away right? You are free to do whatever the hell you want with it and I'll punch anyone who would claim otherwise in the face.

It's a nice thought though, the "by and for Patreons", but I consider it a luxury indulgence that will only stand in the way of Smuttress Inc being the best it can be. I've said this before but I think you worry a little too much about what your fanbase would think. You are already the coolest dev ever and your content speaks for itself. You don't have to worry about this.

It's not "selling out" to do what you can to finance and grow your hobby. I hate to sound like a capitalist here but more money in your pocket is better for everyone involved. You can buy better gear, licences, outsource some tasks, maybe cut down on your day job et c. All this would allow you to create more and better content, which we, your customers, would absolutely love. It's a clear win-win for everyone! There is nothing shameful about being financially successful and there's nothing odd about it.

I'll tell you my vision: Christian morals have dictated the way entertainment industry works for too long and a change is underway. The world is becoming increasingly secularized and what would previously have been considered taboo because of christian morality is becoming mainstream and OK. Sex and eroticism makes the fucking world go around! Everything is about sex, overtly or covertly, so why should gaming be an exception? Old morals and wrinkly old men in suits stand in the way of progress, but not for long. Steam opening up for adult games is a sign of the floodgates opening. The way I see it, this is the beginning of a 2000 IT boom era of expansion for erotic game titles and I'm pretty sure the adult gaming equivalent of "Bill Gates' garage" is right here, on f95, Patreon and Steam. I can't recall you talking about your long-term ambitions, but if they're anything other than "start a genre defining powerhouse of the adult gaming industry" then I think you're selling yourself short. You have the talent and grit to make it! These are times to dream big. Opportunity is here for those who dare dream and act. Don't be afraid of success!

Here's to hoping that in 15 years, Smutress Inc buys EA and Activision and everyone starts fucking in triple-A quality to the roaring approval of the (18+) masses.
Gents, I'll trust you'll indulge me and forgive the brevity of my response to such considerate and well thought out posts.

It's a tricky one for me - although you make points with merit, naturally. I think, for now, I'll dodge the issue and stick a pin in it. Let's get Chapter Ten out and then discuss, yes?

:)

But thank you. As always your kind words and helpful suggestions make me smile.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017

Four is bigger than Three by about 10-15% judging on word count - and that's excluding playtime which I expect will end up considerably more. The renders are both significantly more complex and of greater count so...yeah. A little bit "Nightmare City, Arizona" tbh. :)
Still! Onwards!
Try not to stress too much, it's ready when it's ready; you must be sick of hearing that!? :unsure:;)
This weekend was a bust as I played with three different sets of vaginas in a single scene trying to get colouring and shape right...
Be honest now, did you get the mirror out? :sneaky:
Gents, I'll trust you'll indulge me and forgive the brevity of my response to such considerate and well thought out posts.

It's a tricky one for me - although you make points with merit, naturally. I think, for now, I'll dodge the issue and stick a pin in it. Let's get Chapter Ten out and then discuss, yes?

:)

But thank you. As always your kind words and helpful suggestions make me smile.
You couldn't really make that decision until it's finished anyway... ;) But, I do agree with the others about it doing well on Steam or Itch. :)
Try....

Dad: "So, how's that little writing thing of yours going?"
Me: *smokes rapidly as she ponders does she actually tell him she spent two hours trying to find the right look for a medieval strap-on....*

;)
lol, so what was your answer?

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
The lovely Sarah (Rah-Rah to her friends), is most definitely not a pervert! She is sweet and innocent and stuff ;) :love:
You know you are fighting a lost cause when even the dev reacts with a thinking face. :p She is totes adorable though, likely because she is not so innocent.

How come? Innuendos can be innocent, no? View attachment 374737
Not when I am done with her ..wait, what?
She is the one who took me!
With your water? :whistle:
...I hear you should never trust the man in the boat.
Yeah always bring that coin to pay the ferryman or you might end up in strange places. :p

"Mind your impertinence Lieutenant."
What water do you think she would use for her blessing? :p

And if that wasn't enough some of the code is boggling in it's complexity for the Sarah and Chris set pieces - and that's before I have to make a call on what to do with Annie's scene.

But as always, it's the renders. I ask far too much of my system tbh. And when it's not a race to just generate the @700 renders there is also the QC aspect of it. This weekend was a bust as I played with three different sets of vaginas in a single scene trying to get colouring and shape right...

Still! Onwards!
Gogogo :love:, you do what you need to do, just remember to take care of yourself. Our Jaffa cakes and thoughts are with you while we will your render hamster on, unfortunately that is all the support we can give at the moment.

I do not know if you have people you can turn to when get stuck with coding problems, but I understood from Palanto in the past that Epadder and AON for example are very good coders on this site, that might be able to give some tips.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I do not know if you have people you can turn to when get stuck with coding problems, but I understood from Palanto in the past that Epadder and AON for example are very good coders on this site, that might be able to give some tips.
The probs there is being able to understand what they tell me! XD

anne O'nymous bless him has looked at my code and has tried to show me how I can make it more structured in respect of the set pieces. I feel it's a bit like him explaining to a four year old quantum physics....

*gets it to work somehow tho!*

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
She has spades of that I suspect, will be interesting to see how bad she will get in chapter 4 when you are ready to share that. Still 5 more chapters to see her develop and get to know her and the other women after that . :love:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
The probs there is being able to understand what they tell me! XD

anne O'nymous bless him has looked at my code and has tried to show me how I can make it more structured in respect of the set pieces. I feel it's a bit like him explaining to a four year old quantum physics....

*gets it to work somehow tho!*
Well coding has been never been one of my hobbies, so for me it would likely be more like explaining String Theory to a baby. :p Still good to know you have help like that, maybe someday you will suddenly understand what he means.(y)

Reactions: TheDevian

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Still, as the other chaps have said, after a while you get surprisingly used to it... :)
Not only that, for me the unique speech patterns were among the first things that got me attracted to the game. ;)

This weekend was a bust as I played with three different sets of vaginas in a single scene trying to get colouring and shape right...
Yeah, the offer on those isn't very good (odd considering how important an asset it is to anyone rendering adult stuff). Just this weekend I played one game I won't name with top notch visuals...until I got to see a vagina down close that was just...meh.

I think, for now, I'll dodge the issue and stick a pin in it. Let's get Chapter Ten out and then discuss, yes?
Yep, still a long journey ahead of us.:)
*decided against doing so in case anyone was wondering!*
I think by Chapter 10 you'll be able to give classes on how to lead a double life.:D

Last edited:

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Just thinking... don't we have something much more important to discuss after CH10 is released???
*mumble, mumble, steam, mumble, mumble* :unsure: :)

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes