Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Morning scamps,

Cute and dirty! That's my kind of girl.
She looks a bit skinny to handle heavy weaponry, though. A tad more in the biceps department would probably help.
True that. I'm 6'2 and 210 pounds, and a terrible shot.
What I meant about Notty's model is that her arms should show more strain from handling such weapon. But Kuko also makes an excellent point.
I'll shut up now before I shoot myself in the foot. ;)
First of all, the character looks really nice, and I imagine even better when fully tuned up. Secondly, I have to say that even with the potential of extremely potent augments, it does look quite unrealistic and silly. Even if the gun was made of really light alloys, that would more or less just be worse. As we all know Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space, and per his third law for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The recoil is pushing the minigun back hard. If the minigun was heavy, then it would take more force to push it backwards, alleviating some of the recoil though not by too much. If the minigun was light, the recoil would push it back even harder. I'd personally just have her use the minigun with two hands, or with some type of harness in order to make it look better.
Ooooh, I am glad you like her - thanks.

Alrighties, well if you chaps are going to start showing some thought on this the least I can do is a give a reply :)

Firstly, she was a concept test. One of the -hard- lessons I've learned is that you can't trust models to behave. So it's all well and good making a nice model but unless you test them by throwing them into scenes you can find out far too late that in motion...they can look terrible (RIP Nina of the big boobies). So the test you saw was literally that. Just a pose with rough lighting and props to see how she would look. :)

As to the minigun itself, I semi-agree. Remember it was a test pose so, although all your points are valid, they weren't a consideration for the purpose of the render. That said, the current smallest variation of the XM556 minigun weighs in at some 16lbs. Compare that to the XM214 made twenty years before, which came in at a rocking 25lbs and it isn't inconceivable that the carry weight could well fall. Now I appreciate that we have the recoil to deal with of course, and I would never advocate firing anything larger than a pistol one handed (even if only for aiming purposes), but again, should we so wish, we can point to the reduction in calibre amongst modern firearms. NATO standard round has dropped from when I was a lass from 7.62mm to 5.56mm now. Again, of course, this is for a variety of reasons but this also has the added advantage of reducing recoil and improving accuracy with the dynamics of the 5.56, although having less penetrating power, gaining the trade off of increased accuracy due to having to re-sight less frequently.

So...it's not that implausible that, at a stretch, we could in my little world has a mini that rocked in at say 10lbs and used either a smaller calibre round or a round that had improved physical attributes, or even was more efficient in its gas re-cycling on discharge.

But as I say, it really was just a test pose :)

Yeah, they've got artificial gravity in an relatively small spaceship; that violates more laws of physics than a big gun having trivial recoil.
An excellent point - and one oddly I'd considered (originally the crisis back in the day would have had the anti-grav fail too). For in game purposes, in case your curious, anti-grav is provided by nano artificial gravity creators embedded in the floors and ceilings of ships. Gravitons (no, I dunno what they are, but that's whats I call the science for artificial gravity here!) are emitted from Naggs in a hemispherical pattern that, when taken together provide a sufficient all round gravitational effect that simulates the norm. There have to be multiple strips of Naggs placed around the vessel though else you get oddities like people constantly leaning towards the walls etc. They have to be in the floors and ceilings too so that there is an equal balance between being pulled both upwards and downwards too. But anyhoo....that's just me rambling :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
The new game looks... a bit different, @Nottravis . You need that video card still?
*laughs*

If I did it in that cartoon strip style life would be -much -easier!

I imagine some game has that as a Patreon tier- for $X, you get to be a background character! For $Y, you get a speaking role! For $Z, you are a romantic option in the game!
*blinks and looks thoughtful...*

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
As to the minigun itself, I semi-agree. Remember it was a test pose so, although all your points are valid, they weren't a consideration for the purpose of the render. That said, the current smallest variation of the XM556 minigun weighs in at some 16lbs. Compare that to the XM214 made twenty years before, which came in at a rocking 25lbs and it isn't inconceivable that the carry weight could well fall. Now I appreciate that we have the recoil to deal with of course, and I would never advocate firing anything larger than a pistol one handed (even if only for aiming purposes), but again, should we so wish, we can point to the reduction in calibre amongst modern firearms. NATO standard round has dropped from when I was a lass from 7.62mm to 5.56mm now. Again, of course, this is for a variety of reasons but this also has the added advantage of reducing recoil and improving accuracy with the dynamics of the 5.56, although having less penetrating power, gaining the trade off of increased accuracy due to having to re-sight less frequently.

So...it's not that implausible that, at a stretch, we could in my little world has a mini that rocked in at say 10lbs and used either a smaller calibre round or a round that had improved physical attributes, or even was more efficient in its gas re-cycling on discharge.

An excellent point - and one oddly I'd considered (originally the crisis back in the day would have had the anti-grav fail too). For in game purposes, in case your curious, anti-grav is provided by nano artificial gravity creators embedded in the floors and ceilings of ships. Gravitons (no, I dunno what they are, but that's whats I call the science for artificial gravity here!) are emitted from Naggs in a hemispherical pattern that, when taken together provide a sufficient all round gravitational effect that simulates the norm. There have to be multiple strips of Naggs placed around the vessel though else you get oddities like people constantly leaning towards the walls etc. They have to be in the floors and ceilings too so that there is an equal balance between being pulled both upwards and downwards too. But anyhoo....that's just me rambling :)
Did I just have a technogasm? :oops:

I'm not even going to pretend to have any substantial knowledge about these matters and just sit here impressed. Particularly, with the gun points (and I'm not even being held at gunpoint to admit it).:)

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Morning scamps,

Alrighties, well if you chaps are going to start showing some thought on this the least I can do is a give a reply :)

Firstly, she was a concept test. One of the -hard- lessons I've learned is that you can't trust models to behave. So it's all well and good making a nice model but unless you test them by throwing them into scenes you can find out far too late that in motion...they can look terrible (RIP Nina of the big boobies). So the test you saw was literally that. Just a pose with rough lighting and props to see how she would look. :)

Ramble some more. But I think Becca in the tutorial gave a simple explanation for it; sometimes a girl needs big toys

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Did I just have a technogasm? :oops:

I'm not even going to pretend to have any substantial knowledge about these matters and just sit here impressed. Particularly, with the gun points (and I'm not even being held at gunpoint to admit it).:)
Possibly? :)

One could argue it was a waste of time for a game for like this, but I did spend quite a bit of time working out some of the finer points of "how would that work, what makes that go, how is this structured...etc". I know it's unlikely that many who play H5 would care of course but it just felt wrong not to have an understanding of how my own universe worked, y'know?

*worries she's a bit like Sarah with the bad puns and gun lore tho!*

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, if you take the detail out it would be soulless and there are plenty of generic click fests out there.

I'd rather read a story with a bit of depth even if I don't understand most of it, at least it shows you put some thought into your world building which means you care about building it up and fleshing it out which makes me care more about that world ... does that make sense?

Even I can put together a half arsed story but it wouldn't have any depth to it nor would it be enjoyable to read.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

One could argue it was a waste of time for a game for like this, but I did spend quite a bit of time working out some of the finer points of "how would that work, what makes that go, how is this structured...etc". I know it's unlikely that many who play H5 would care of course but it just felt wrong not to have an understanding of how my own universe worked, y'know?

I would eject anyone arguing that out of an airlock. It's like the most essential thing for a good sci-fi to have. In fact, it was the lore and how everything looked well thought out that sprang an alarm bells yelling: "Hold on, this game might be something else!":)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah, if you take the detail out it would be soulless and there are plenty of generic click fests out there.

I'd rather read a story with a bit of depth even if I don't understand most of it, at least it shows you put some thought into your world building which means you care about building it up and fleshing it out which makes me care more about that world ... does that make sense?

Even I can put together a half arsed story but it wouldn't have any depth to it nor would it be enjoyable to read.
Totally. Thanks. :)

I'll confess at times I did think I might be getting carried away. The launch sequence for example I researched by getting hold of the Airbus a330 take off checklist and listening to ATC chatter for an hour or so....

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I assume you mean the grav generator fails not anti-grav failing.

Gravitons are elementary particles from quantum field theory.

What they truly are, no one knows, and it is all guesswork as of now, so your interpretation is just as good as any other.

I do wonder how the nanobots are creating the gravitons but that may be going too deep.

-------

I guess a way to make new characters without being too close to looking like players is to take a photo from the internet, celeb or not and try to replicate that person, then change things so it doesn't look like them anymore.
-------

Nipples that can cut glass were mentioned, so do we get to do a jewelry store robbery or mission impossible?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
What significance does the number 69 hold?

I am but a dear, sweet maiden. Some may say I am innocence personified. I am afraid the meaning of such numbers happens to be lost on me.

Anyway, I much prefer the 68.

You do it to me and I owe you one.

I'm here all week folks /bow

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Notty how will you approach the elephant in the room? Will you release an incest patch or there won't be any incest?
Good question. I'm also interested to know, although from the other side of a wall as someone who doesn't like incest.

Is Kelly written (optionally I guess) in a way that doesn't imply close blood relation between them?

PowerDildos

May 30, 2017
If we're talking science and space exploration, your argument loses it's full power. If travel beyond the solar system is possible, then nothing stops that gun from having a recoil nullifier built inside
Still, FTL-tech and artificial gravity are staples of Sci-fi, and are extremely easy to suspend your disbelief for, since the whole setting falls apart without it. It's harder to suspend that disbelief when faced with a someone firing a minigun one handed without any support.

Morning scamps,

Yeah, that is completely understandable. I had a feeling that it was only a test or example of some sort, but I mostly just felt like throwing my weight into the debate just because people were already discussing it.

Like I joked about in my meme a while ago, fleshed out lore is what makes any sci-fi fan interested in a universe. And for those not as interested in the minute details of everything, their existence still very much help with making the world seem living and real. So yeah, I definitely care and am really quite exited for more of those juicy information/lore notes in the device in the next update.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes