somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Heh, already seen it before and considered buying it, but thanks for the tip! Already getting most of those kicks from playing atm though. Some amazing writing to be found in there.
Sunless skies also in that same H. P. Lovecraft inspired universe releases on the 31st.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Heh, I'm personally completely fine with it actually. For me, knowing a little bit of what is going to happen doesn't lessen the experience of actually going through it. I have played my favourite games of all time Mass Effect and Dragon Age many times over, but just because I already know what is going to happen doesn't make the emotional gut punches any less powerful. That's because a well written story is always going to be to be just that, well written. And besides, these small hints don't really spoil all that much in the long run besides being sings saying "Adventure over this way".
Interesting, I was just trying to continue my first and likely only playthrough of ME: Andromeda minutes ago, but it was agonizing and I didn't last even an hour. How far the mighty have fallen.

I agree with you on the hints. They merely whet the appetite.:)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Interesting, I was just trying to continue my first and likely only playthrough of ME: Andromeda minutes ago, but it was agonizing and I didn't last even an hour. How far the mighty have fallen.

Is your face tired?

Reactions: Me666 and Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Does your face hurt?
Haha, actually the facial animations were never a big issue for me (except maybe the eyes until they fixed them). It's more about how dull, shallow, repetitive and disjointed from its predecessors the story and worldbuilding are.

Yep, she was definitely the worst.:)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Haha, actually the facial animations were never a big issue for me (except maybe the eyes until they fixed them). It's more about how dull, shallow, repetitive and disjointed from its predecessors the story and worldbuilding are.
Fully agree, the game fell far short of its forebearers story wise, even with how meh ME 3 was especially with the color endings.

I edited the previous post just so it makes sense with the linked video.

Reactions: Akamari

PowerDildos

May 30, 2017
Sunless skies also in that same H. P. Lovecraft inspired universe releases on the 31st.
From what I've played and read discussions about I'd personally say that Lovecraft only was one part of the inspiration as well as a whole slew of other authors and books. Will probably check it out though, as well as Sunless seas eventually. (Oh, just checked it out, Cultist simulator is also by the same people, huh.)

I pre-ordered Andromeda due to my love of the original trilogy, but my then computer couldn't handle the game, and by the time I upgraded it I had lost all drive to play it after seeing footage and reading reviews.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
From what I've played and read discussions about I'd personally say that Lovecraft only was one part of the inspiration as well as a whole slew of other authors and books. Will probably check it out though, as well as Sunless seas eventually. (Oh, just checked it out, Cultist simulator is also by the same people, huh.)

I pre-ordered Andromeda due to my love of the original trilogy, but my then computer couldn't handle the game, and by the time I upgraded it I had lost all drive to play it after seeing footage and reading reviews.
Fallen London / Sunless (insert theme) is by Failbetter games

Cultist Simulator is by Weather Factory

I was sad they moved ME reapers from being some elder god like mythos thing to hey we are just evil AI like all the other AI you meet, and now all the games are about deciding if organics and AI can get along, which they have the AI killing all organics constantly for millions of years...

Reactions: Goblin Baily: DILF

PowerDildos

May 30, 2017
Fallen London / Sunless (insert theme) is by Failbetter games

Cultist Simulator is by Weather Factory

I was sad they moved ME reapers from being some elder god like mythos thing to hey we are just evil AI like all the other AI you meet, and now all the games are about deciding if organics and AI can get along, which they have the AI killing all organics constantly for millions of years...
From the steam page
"Seize forbidden treasures. Summon alien gods. Feed on your disciples.Cultist Simulator is a game of apocalypse and yearning from Alexis Kennedy, creator of Fallen London and Sunless Sea. Play as a seeker after unholy mysteries, in a 1920s-themed setting of hidden gods and secret histories."

Yeah, the ultimate finale of the trilogy was kinda disappointing to say the least. The Dark Energy plot could have been really interesting if they had went that route.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
From the steam page
"Seize forbidden treasures. Summon alien gods. Feed on your disciples.Cultist Simulator is a game of apocalypse and yearning from Alexis Kennedy, creator of Fallen London and Sunless Sea. Play as a seeker after unholy mysteries, in a 1920s-themed setting of hidden gods and secret histories."

Yeah, the ultimate finale of the trilogy was kinda disappointing to say the least. The Dark Energy plot could have been really interesting if they had went that route.
Honestly, I have never read those little blurbs on the right. Today I learned.

So much of that game series could have been more interesting. Instead we got space calamari gaining psychic powers and making land dwellers build AI for them which then went bad, and they never fixed it. Damn crustaceans, this is why I eat lobster and crab, to keep sea life in check.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Since we're talking lore, is there more background to the MC other than that he is an engineer on Intrepid who replaced Harris for the mission?
He has a "sister" who is on the Iowa but really is on Ophion, and has military family background. He was an infantry grunt, then had a choice of going into flight which he said was too old for that, so instead he took engineering.

Theory, he is actually a really terrible spy, like James Bond, drunk, well you know drunker than normal James Bond.

Real theory about him having serious authority to shut down the whole Ophion terra forming seems a bit much for a random engie. So he must be a trusted enginseer.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes