Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Good the render hamster released you from your bondage for a little bit, hope you do not get too much denial treatment from it. :p
It's a slog for sure. This weekend is rather make or break for the end of the month, hence why I've been quieter than usual. The naughty scenes are taking much longer to do than I anticipated tbh - largely as they take longer to pose and render than usual, and with five different sets of sex scenes in this chapter it's soaking up the time.

I was hoping to avoid upgrading again until I could "big bang" it y'know. Get something really top of the range, but I think I'm going to have to get a new PC rig before doing Five. Some of the renders are taking nearly two hours which is just bonkers.

Anyhoo! Boring, boring! Will crack on! Laters :)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
It's a slog for sure. This weekend is rather make or break for the end of the month, hence why I've been quieter than usual. The naughty scenes are taking much longer to do than I anticipated tbh - largely as they take longer to pose and render than usual, and with five different sets of sex scenes in this chapter it's soaking up the time.

I was hoping to avoid upgrading again until I could "big bang" it y'know. Get something really top of the range, but I think I'm going to have to get a new PC rig before doing Five. Some of the renders are taking nearly two hours which is just bonkers.

Personally, what I do is upgrade one piece (or so) at a time. The only exception is the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, since those need to match (though buying more ram is another story). Just get what you can, when you can, it all adds up.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Well you know I will say take the time you need and also know you do not wish to, :p So good luck and godspeed.

Well if you want to upgrade early look at least for motherboards that will not change architecture for a while, think AMD promised their current series will support the processors for the next 5 years and talk to people here that know what you need for a render rig.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Personally, what I do is upgrade one piece (or so) at a time. The only exception is the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, since those need to match (though buying more ram is another story). Just get what you can, when you can, it all adds up.
Sadly that's the probs. The pc is really basic and won't carry a heavier card than the 1060. So I have to make a leap in the rig if I want a bigger card - which I feel I need.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Well you know I will say take the time you need and also know you do not wish to, :p So good luck and godspeed.

Well if you want to upgrade early look at least for motherboards that will not change architecture for a while, think AMD promised their current series will support the processors for the next 5 years and talk to people here that know what you need for a render rig.
Thanks. Will look into :)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I've worked in IT for 30ish years if you ever need any advice or help. :) (that goes for anyone else too!)
  • 3940006 AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Processor 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz) - 6 cores - 12 threads - 35 MB
  • Intel Solid-State Drive 660p Series - Solid state gecodeerd - 1 TB - intern - M.2 2280 - PCI Express
  • Geh CoolerMaster MasterBox MCY-B5S1KWYN-02-SI
  • Seasonic M12II EVO 520W - Voeding ( intern ) ATX12V/EPS12V - 100-240 Volt - 520 Watt - 80 PLUS
  • Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO - Cooler for processo aluminium - 92 mm
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Memory DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - 288-PIN - 3200 MHz - CL16
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G - Gra GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 - PCIe 3.0 x16
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - Motherboard ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD B450 - Gigabit LAN - USB 3.2
This is what I got for my budget gaming computer for just under EUR 1.000. Notty would need likely a better CPU, more memory, motherboard to support processor, bigger power supply and of course a way more expensive videocard.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I've worked in IT for 30ish years if you ever need any advice or help. :) (that goes for anyone else too!)
Been building them since the 90's myself. ;)
Sadly that's the probs. The pc is really basic and won't carry a heavier card than the 1060. So I have to make a leap in the rig if I want a bigger card - which I feel I need.
What is the bottleneck? 2 things could prevent you from upgrading the card, well 3 really.
The first being the power supply, the larger cards require more power.
The 2nd being the mother board not having the correct video slot (this is very unlikely these days).
The 3rd being the physical size of the case, a mid size tower is a tight fit for the full size cards, and anything smaller than that is more or less impossible.

The CPU is a factor, especially if you use it along with your video card(s) for rendering, but the two main things you need are ram for prepping the renders, and the video card(s) for the actual rendering.

Of course the recommendations as to what to prioritize would depend on what the rest of what you have, but here are a few things to keep in mind.

Intel is better if you can get the top end, but AMD will give you more bang for your buck. If price is no object then go for intel, but if your budget is tight, AMD is the way to go.

SSD drives are a lot faster, a lot more expensive, and you need to be careful you never fill it (it can damage it). You want your OS, and if possible, your daz library to be on one (not necessarily the same one), this will speed you up a lot.

When you go to upgrade, get the motherboard and CPU at the same time, making sure they are specked to go together, and make sure your ram matches. Usually you need to upgrade the ram at the same time, if you want to be as fast as you can be, but now days, you can sometimes still use the ram if it's good enough.

And like I said before, make sure your hardware acceleration is on in daz.

Mine is pretty old now, but I have an AMD, Ryzen 7, 1800x 8core 3.6ghz. One of the first ones they put out. With 32gig ddr4 ram (really want 64 when I get to doing the bigger scenes, though I am getting a few ideas for workarounds).

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Been building them since the 90's myself. ;)

What is the bottleneck? 2 things could prevent you from upgrading the card, well 3 really.
The first being the power supply, the larger cards require more power.
The 2nd being the mother board not having the correct video slot (this is very unlikely these days).
The 3rd being the physical size of the case, a mid size tower is a tight fit for the full size cards, and anything smaller than that is more or less impossible.

The CPU is a factor, especially if you use it along with your video card(s) for rendering, but the two main things you need are ram for prepping the renders, and the video card(s) for the actual rendering.

Of course the recommendations as to what to prioritize would depend on what the rest of what you have, but here are a few things to keep in mind.

Intel is better if you can get the top end, but AMD will give you more bang for your buck. If price is no object then go for intel, but if your budget is tight, AMD is the way to go.

SSD drives are a lot faster, a lot more expensive, and you need to be careful you never fill it (it can damage it). You want your OS, and if possible, your daz library to be on one (not necessarily the same one), this will speed you up a lot.

When you go to upgrade, get the motherboard and CPU at the same time, making sure they are specked to go together, and make sure your ram matches. Usually you need to upgrade the ram at the same time, if you want to be as fast as you can be, but now days, you can sometimes still use the ram if it's good enough.

And like I said before, make sure your hardware acceleration is on in daz.

Mine is pretty old now, but I have an AMD, Ryzen 7, 1800x 8core 3.6ghz. One of the first ones they put out. With 32gig ddr4 ram (really want 64 when I get to doing the bigger scenes, though I am getting a few ideas for workarounds).
Notty said before both her power supply and the motherboard are bottlenecks, Same as was for me, my motherboard was so old it did not support newer videocards, memory and such. Thanks for the tip on the SSD drive, will keep that in mind. Mine was about Eur 100 though and even up to 2 TB were not that expensive. Was just budget I set that kept me from going for that and not getting the AMD 7 processor since that would have been an extra EUR 155 and was not really needed for my needs. Was hardest one to pass up on though. :p

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
I went with both an SSD and an older, old-fashioned HDD.
The DAZ Studio software is on the SSD. However, my Daz Library is on the HDD.
Well, and I also ported the HDD from my old computer, as well as 2 external HDD's :rolleyes:
It's a pretty hard and clear cut seperation for me: software may go on the SSD, if I use it regularly, but less often used programs as well as games go on the HDD. *All* data goes on the HDD.

Specs:
motherboard: MSi B450-A Pro
CPU: ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: RTX 2070
SSD: Samsung Evo 960, 500GB
HDD: Something generic 4TB + all the old HDDs, totalling about 9 TB.
Memory: 8GB (only 1 stick, the other stick died few days after I got it, can't be bothered with getting a guarantee replacement, the system works decent, and I already planned to replace the two sticks with 2x16 GB somewhere this fall before I even ordered it, so the 16GB was and still is temporary anyway)
Power Supply: 700 Watt (I'm currently using about 70% of it, so still room for adding some extra or more powerful hardware)

The thing cost me just under 1600 european dollars, assembly done by a hobby assembler, few "big" stores sell something like that, but their pricetag for this would generally start around 2499.

A neat gadget that I also ported from my old rig: a Hot Swap tray. It basically allows me to quickly replace an internal HDD from the outside, though in my cheap version I do have to switch off the computer. Still, it's a lot more convenient than having to open the case, mess with connecting wires, etc. And it allows me to have "extra" HDDs for data I use very infrequently, or for backup purposes, etc.

With some smart shopping, it shouldn't be difficult to assemble a rig with a newer Ryzen 7 3xxx CPU and an RTX2070 "super" or even 2080Ti costing less than 2500 eurodollars. Which is a lot less than the ~4,000 that the "mediamarkt" would charge for it (they don't, they'd charge 3,500, but put a lot of lower grade components in, like a slower SSD, a less reliable and bottlenecking PSU that constantly performs at 95% of its wattage, a 1080Ti, but still "accidentally" list it between the 2080Ti rigs, be VERY careful, I see that last practice a LOT at electronic stores!)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Notty said before both her power supply and the motherboard are bottlenecks, Same as was for me, my motherboard was so old it did not support newer videocards, memory and such. Thanks for the tip on the SSD drive, will keep that in mind. Mine was about Eur 100 though and even up to 2 TB were not that expensive. Was just budget I set that kept me from going for that and not getting the AMD 7 processor since that would have been an extra EUR 155 and was not really needed for my needs. Was hardest one to pass up on though. :p
Yeah, that is a drag.

My plan is generally 'get the best one I can afford at the time, so it will last as long as possible'. Just remember, aside from the Mother board and CPU, you can get one part at a time, and even if you can't use it yet, you can hold it until you are ready (though I would suggest getting parts you can use now).

I am looking for a 2tb SSD for my daz library right now, they are a bit pricey for me at the moment. ;)

HDDs are fine for storage, but for anything that you need speed for, you want it on an SSD, installed programs, games, daz assets, etc.

If you have a good video card, the best CPU is less of an issue if you are not multitasking while working.

For Notty, I would probably consider the power supply first then (assuming you have at least a mid size tower already). Then start saving for the mother board, CPU, and RAM. From there you can start upgrading other parts, bigger case, more drives, more RAM, nicer screens, etc...

I went with both an SSD and an older, old-fashioned HDD.
The DAZ Studio software is on the SSD. However, my Daz Library is on the HDD.
Well, and I also ported the HDD from my old computer, as well as 2 external HDD's :rolleyes:
It's a pretty hard and clear cut seperation for me: software may go on the SSD, if I use it regularly, but less often used programs as well as games go on the HDD. *All* data goes on the HDD.

Specs:
motherboard: MSi B450-A Pro
CPU: ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: RTX 2070
SSD: Samsung Evo 960, 500GB
HDD: Something generic 4TB + all the old HDDs, totalling about 9 TB.
Memory: 8GB (only 1 stick, the other stick died few days after I got it, can't be bothered with getting a guarantee replacement, the system works decent, and I already planned to replace the two sticks with 2x16 GB somewhere this fall before I even ordered it, so the 16GB was and still is temporary anyway)
Power Supply: 700 Watt (I'm currently using about 70% of it, so still room for adding some extra or more powerful hardware)

The thing cost me just under 1600 european dollars, assembly done by a hobby assembler, few "big" stores sell something like that at that price, their pricetag for this would generally start around 2499.

A neat gadget that I also ported from my old rig: a Hot Swap tray. It basically allows me to quickly replace an internal HDD from the outside, though in my cheap version I do have to switch off the computer. Still, it's a lot more convenient than having to open the case, mess with connecting wires, etc. And it allows me to have "extra" HDDs for data I use very infrequently, or for backup purposes, etc.

With some smart shopping, it shouldn't be difficult to assemble a rig with a newer Ryzen 7 3xxx CPU and an RTX2070 "super" or even 2080Ti costing less than 2500 eurodollars. Which is a lot less than the ~4,000 that the "mediamarkt" would charge for it (they don't, they'd charge 3,500, but put a lot of lower grade components in, like a slower SSD, a less reliable and bottlenecking PSU that constantly performs at 95% of its wattage, a 1080Ti, but still "accidentally" list it between the 2080Ti rigs, be VERY careful, I see that last practice a LOT at electronic stores!)
Nice, I call mine 'fwank-n-puter', you don't want to know some of what I have... :ROFLMAO:

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
Nice, I call mine 'fwank-n-puter', you don't want to know some of what I have... :ROFLMAO:
Well, I always try to at least port the old hard-disks. At least temporary, to just copy the data from my old computer, which is why I jumped on my previous computer (an emergency solution when the computer before that died of lightning strike). The previous computer was really cheap (I was really short-strapped for cash at the time) and lasted longer than expected. But it's main selling points at the time, were the Radeon r9-290 and that hotswap bay. I'm going to try to frankenstein that hotswap for as many computers as I can. Would be nice, if someday I can say I have a 20 year old component in my computer.

• Haha
Reactions: frap and DA22

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well, I always try to at least port the old hard-disks. At least temporary, to just copy the data from my old computer, which is why I jumped on my previous computer (an emergency solution when the computer before that died of lightning strike). The previous computer was really cheap (I was really short-strapped for cash at the time) and lasted longer than expected. But it's main selling points at the time, were the Radeon r9-290 and that hotswap bay. I'm going to try to frankenstein that hotswap for as many computers as I can. Would be nice, if someday I can say I have a 20 year old component in my computer.
I always keep the same drives, only replace them when I have to. I have about 12 at the moment (50+tb), most HHD. (it's kind of a mess).

..I do have parts that are over a decade, at least one keyboard might be close to two.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I always keep the same drives, only replace them when I have to. I have about 12 at the moment (50+tb), most HHD. (it's kind of a mess).

..I do have parts that are over a decade, at least one keyboard might be close to two.
Yeah did save my old comp for parts and swapped over the old blue ray player and a fan already and using about 10 TB on external HDD's:p Yeah I would also be very careful to get a pre-build comp from most major retailers. The parts used often seem pretty subpar for the price the computer costs.

Reactions: TheDevian

frap

Oct 17, 2018
This. Simply this :)

*has done this herself...*

Yep. Should have just been a quick "taxi run" down.
I only thought of this because I had to go commando on a run (when I was the Brigade SGM's driver). For 3 -5 days I had a flight bag in which to pack everything. Got called out for a 4 day run at 03:00 - packed in three minutes, then realized I had no clean skivvies left unpacked. Said "fuck it" and went commando (wore my oldest BDUs as they were the softest that first day.)

*curstsies* I do wonder what you'll all make of Amanda as you get to know her...
"It's a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl"

For me, this is literal truth. :eek:
Well depends on her precise age, but could even just be lil sister. :devilish:
For MC, sure, elder sister...ish. For me - somewhere around twin, depending on her actual age.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes