frap

Oct 17, 2018
We're not doing that servant and Queen roleplay again are we? I still haven't got the dress back from the drycleaners after last time.

Oh we -are- doing that servant and Queen roleplay again. Right, I'll give the cleaners a call.

Now I'm picturing Notty (as Becca) in this:

1567515582243.png

Well since old comp is very old and she basically needs to replace motherboard and power supply, not much would be able to be transferred like memory and transferring the video card might be counter productive since that is what she wants replaced most of all. Yeah it will be pricey likely depending on her budget, since she will want to get as good as she can get. I at least could say to myself I had no need for even better card with more memory or need for that even better processor. That is why she really needs to put a hard fixed budget for herself.
Rather than playing mix-n-match with the cards I was under the impression that she'd be building a render machine... meaning she can continue to mount images on her current machine whilst the new machine is chugging out renders.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Now I'm picturing Notty (as Becca) in this:

View attachment 390479

Rather than playing mix-n-match with the cards I was under the impression that she'd be building a render machine... meaning she can continue to mount images on her current machine whilst the new machine is chugging out renders.
That was same idea I got, though she might also want to mount the renders on the new machine if really much stronger. I have not enough knowledge about rendering to give meaningful advice though on that.

Reactions: Akamari

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
*peeks in*

I've quickly scanned posts but engaged at the mo so will respond later props.

One of the factors in hand is that the link scenes aren't done yet. Link scenes are those like the ones with Marcus and Kelly in the corridor in Three. So quick pieces that join up scenes.

But take place in halls and corridors....

It was that oddly enough that made me see what a remaster would look like and set this ball rolling.

I've got two other things rendering away whilst I'm out. Will share tomorrow.....

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
There's another problem with combining two different cards for iRay rendering: the graphical memory of the two cards is not combined, but gets *capped* at the memory size of the smallest card. So, let's say, Notty gets an RTX 2070 with 8GB, and adds her old GTX 960 with 2GB to the rig, then that effectively limits the size of the scenes she can render to only 2GB.

Larger scenes (very easy to get a scene over 2GB, just include 2 characters, some props and a bit of complex lighting, and you're over that amount) will then revert to CPU rendering, which will take days (seriously, days!) to get to the quality Notty currently produces. Daz won't automatically ignore the smaller GPU for larger scenes.

For scenes smaller than 2GB, she'd maybe gain a 20% increase in render speed, but those scenes already render relatively fast, so the gain would be 16 minutes to render instead of 20. It already takes longer to set up a scene in the first place, so that gain is really marginal, might as well stick with the 20 minute render and use the 20 minutes to grab a coffee.

A GTX 1060 (either 6GB or 3GB) and an RTX 2070 are already a bit closer in memory size, and more scenes would already fit into the 3GB version. The gain in renderspeed is also already a bit bigger again, as the 1060 has (depending on model again) 10-20% more CUDA cores.

Overall, combining a suitable high-memory card with a low-memory card is like throwing away half the card. Especially if the old card was already restricting your work, then it's generally not a good idea to combine it with the new card for rendering. Maybe disable it for rendering, and using the old card purely as your display driver works out (there is an option in Daz to manually disable a card for rendering). It'll require some fiddling with some settings in your OS and connecting the monitor to the old card instead of the new card, but it's possible.
On the card situ, Dripping nails it. I'll post up the PC specs I have tomorrow so you can have a good laugh :)

But this was why I was hoping to hold on for a bit to make a big leap rather than go interim. However, Four has been a bitch to render if only due to the time it takes to do good renders for the naughty scenes. You can, for example, get by with being a little bit casual with regards to a lot of the walky talky stuff. By casual I don't mean not taking care - I don't mean that at all. But they tend to be easy to pose and the threshold for what is a quality level is perhaps slightly broader.

On the naughties you just can't do that. Everything not only has to be precise but has to look fantastic - else what is the point? So a walky talky might take me 30 mins to render if I've set it up carefully, maybe an hour if it's complex. But the naughties were taking around two hours on average to pop out.

But I digress. Dripping is right. If I go bigger on a card it will need it's own standalone set up sadly.

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
There's another problem with combining two different cards for iRay rendering: the graphical memory of the two cards is not combined, but gets *capped* at the memory size of the smallest card. So, let's say, Notty gets an RTX 2070 with 8GB, and adds her old GTX 960 with 2GB to the rig, then that effectively limits the size of the scenes she can render to only 2GB.

Larger scenes (very easy to get a scene over 2GB, just include 2 characters, some props and a bit of complex lighting, and you're over that amount) will then revert to CPU rendering, which will take days (seriously, days!) to get to the quality Notty currently produces. Daz won't automatically ignore the smaller GPU for larger scenes.

For scenes smaller than 2GB, she'd maybe gain a 20% increase in render speed, but those scenes already render relatively fast, so the gain would be 16 minutes to render instead of 20. It already takes longer to set up a scene in the first place, so that gain is really marginal, might as well stick with the 20 minute render and use the 20 minutes to grab a coffee.

A GTX 1060 (either 6GB or 3GB) and an RTX 2070 are already a bit closer in memory size, and more scenes would already fit into the 3GB version. The gain in renderspeed is also already a bit bigger again, as the 1060 has (depending on model again) 10-20% more CUDA cores.

Overall, combining a suitable high-memory card with a low-memory card is like throwing away half the card. Especially if the old card was already restricting your work, then it's generally not a good idea to combine it with the new card for rendering. Maybe disable it for rendering, and using the old card purely as your display driver works out (there is an option in Daz to manually disable a card for rendering). It'll require some fiddling with some settings in your OS and connecting the monitor to the old card instead of the new card, but it's possible.
I guess it is a good thing that I was hoping to get another similar one to what I have next time.
I do have an older one, I was considering using it for one screen, while the main one is on the main screen, but might not be worth it yet. For now, it's better to hold it for the send rig.
Close but more....

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
So you're ...playing with the queen of hearts.
Knowing it ain't really smart...
The joker ain't the only fool,
...who'll do anything for you.
On the card situ, Dripping nails it. I'll post up the PC specs I have tomorrow so you can have a good laugh :)

But this was why I was hoping to hold on for a bit to make a big leap rather than go interim. However, Four has been a bitch to render if only due to the time it takes to do good renders for the naughty scenes. You can, for example, get by with being a little bit casual with regards to a lot of the walky talky stuff. By casual I don't mean not taking care - I don't mean that at all. But they tend to be easy to pose and the threshold for what is a quality level is perhaps slightly broader.

On the naughties you just can't do that. Everything not only has to be precise but has to look fantastic - else what is the point? So a walky talky might take me 30 mins to render if I've set it up carefully, maybe an hour if it's complex. But the naughties were taking around two hours on average to pop out.

But I digress. Dripping is right. If I go bigger on a card it will need it's own standalone set up sadly.
My thought process is to do it in stages, get the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM in the next upgrade when money allows, then get the new video card after that, at which point, you can start putting the old pieces together into a second rig.

...Well, in most cases, you could still do that without the new video card, as most mother boards have on board video, as long as you are not doing anything too taxing (writing, coding, chatting, etc.) then it should be fine.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
And here it is, you're not garbage at this as you said!:D
I can do them when i'm just trying to be flirty in an amusing way but actual battles i'm not great at.

I'm great at off the cuff stuff and quick with but I will give Notty all the props in the world, she's a far better creative thinker and writer than I am.

The whole rap battle stuff and banter played for the long game she's got me hands down.

That's one of the reasons I love banter with her so much. She gives just as good, if not better, than she gets and I have to up my game to keep it going.

It needs to be funny or entertaining though. As long as someone is getting a giggle out of it it's awesome.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
And speaking of Royal Tomb (thanks Ava to remind me of this ;)), i want to add something to this statement referring to the "mine" render:
Underground base? Why would they need one with a mobile outpost? The mystery intensifies. :unsure:
Well....not an underground base as such. But believe me when I tell you, you've already seen what it is :) Right in plain view. *totally plays fair*
Here are my clues and a new theory:

Last edited:

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
And speaking of Royal Tomb (thanks Ava to remind me this ;)), i want to add something to this statement referring to the "mine" render:

I did not noticed such pyramidal structure. When did this happened? :oops:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
And speaking of Royal Tomb (thanks Ava to remind me of this ;)), i want to add something to this statement referring to the "mine" render:

Pyramids?!?!? It must be the Aluminotty!!!

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I guess it is a good thing that I was hoping to get another similar one to what I have next time.
I do have an older one, I was considering using it for one screen, while the main one is on the main screen, but might not be worth it yet. For now, it's better to hold it for the send rig.
So you're ...playing with the queen of hearts.
Knowing it ain't really smart...
The joker ain't the only fool,
...who'll do anything for you.

My thought process is to do it in stages, get the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM in the next upgrade when money allows, then get the new video card after that, at which point, you can start putting the old pieces together into a second rig.

...Well, in most cases, you could still do that without the new video card, as most mother boards have on board video, as long as you are not doing anything too taxing (writing, coding, chatting, etc.) then it should be fine.
I'd love to do it that way, but the card is a huge limiter. I need, as a back of an envelope calc, about 1,000 renders for Chapt 5...

So say a third easy ones at 30 mins, a third norm at an hour and a third naughties at two - I'm looking at approx 1,000 hours of rendering. So six weeks of pure pc running excluding set up etc. So I have to cross the "getting a card" bridge as that's just not feasible. Even a 20% improvement lops 200 hours off which is just staggering when you think of it.

....While her fingers try to probe my womb
Not my fault I have long fingers and you're on the small side...*does try to be careful!*

I'm great at off the cuff stuff and quick with but I will give Notty all the props in the world, she's a far better creative thinker and writer than I am.
401158_tenor.gif
;)

That's one of the reasons I love banter with her so much. She gives just as good, if not better, than she gets and I have to up my game to keep it going.

It needs to be funny or entertaining though. As long as someone is getting a giggle out of it it's awesome.
Totes.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I'd love to do it that way, but the card is a huge limiter. I need, as a back of an envelope calc, about 1,000 renders for Chapt 5...

So say a third easy ones at 30 mins, a third norm at an hour and a third naughties at two - I'm looking at approx 1,000 hours of rendering. So six weeks of pure pc running excluding set up etc. So I have to cross the "getting a card" bridge as that's just not feasible. Even a 20% improvement lops 200 hours off which is just staggering when you think of it.
Yeah, while the faster parts will help, the video is the biggest factor. I mean, hell, if you can afford to get it all, then by all means, go for it, but I can rarely afford more than one or two parts at a time, so that limits the way I think about it. :ROFLMAO:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah, while the faster parts will help, the video is the biggest factor. I mean, hell, if you can afford to get it all, then by all means, go for it, but I can rarely afford more than one or two parts at a time, so that limits the way I think about it. :ROFLMAO:
I'd be lying if I said what I could get is what I wanted. *has been looking things up* but as long as I try to make sure the mother board can expand sufficiently I wouldn't be wasting too much money by doing an interim upgrade *cross fingers*

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes