TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I think, if possible, it should be done before chapter 4 comes out. I know it means that we'll have to wait for the new chapter, but hear me out here.

Let's say chapter 4 comes out tomorrow. The masses rejoice, the land is fertile again, the blind recover eyesight, babies laugh, politicians give the money back to the people, the world is right anew. Then what happens? New peeps come here and wonder why we few, we happy few, sing the praises of Heavy Five and the Great Notty (blessed be Her name). So the new peeps download the game, and the first thing they see are these grainy renders! They close the game, delete it and leave forever wondering why we're so crazy about it.

Now, in this new paradigm, it all starts the same, except chapter 4's out later. People rejoice, politicians find they have a heart, etc. And the newbies come to us with shiny faces and *innocent* expectations. They download the first chapters and BAM!! Quality! Quality everywhere!

I guarantee you the tread will be flooded with "wy didn't i downloaded that game before?!?" Ok, it might become tedious, but think about the sweet patreon money that will go directly into Notty's beaver hamster... :D

Also, in a more serious tone, if Notty does indeed intend for the base to have a new face, it would be weird to either have the new graphics in chapter 4 but not the old ones or, worse, to keep going until she finally makes the decision to work on the remaster, but this time, the amount of work will be greater.

Just food for thought ;)
I have no problem with that either, I just don't want her to get burnt on it or start stressing about disappointing everyone for taking so long (again), even though we don't mind ...this is known.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
That does not change the fact though that Notty is unhappy with chapters 1 and 2, though might work for going forward for now.
Well, that could also work, but I fear it would break some of the immersion :unsure:
The whole thing would be tongue in cheek, and of course would only work for now, until all of the previous renders are redone.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Delicious render, you definitely have my interest. :p

Well like Huitieme I am on the fence about re-rendering as you know before the end because you will get so much better still and will want to do it another time or two. On the other hand you do feel that need and I agree you def can do better now. Basically I would wait for new comp and then see how fast you can re-render maybe on old comp while doing new ones for chapter 5 on new comp. Other option would be if work you can do on new comp is that much better just go for a month of re-rendering chapters 1-4 at once. and diminish need to rerender again later. Whatever you will decide to do though, you will have my support anyway, even if may sigh once or twice here. :p
I'd like to come back on what I said, like Kim Kardashian (on the video, she gets cum on her back*). Of course, Notty will get exponentially better at rendering, but right now, the issue is not about making the first chapters perfect but laking them satisfying (at least to Notty).

Also, it could bring in that sweet patreon money :3

* Not my joke :p

Reactions: TheDevian and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have no problem with that either, I just don't want her to get burnt on it or start stressing about disappointing everyone for taking so long (again), even though we don't mind ...this is known.
So much this last. That is why I was proposing if possible to do the re-rendering on the old rig or indeed just take a month out on new comp for it. Notty's choice though since her game, her goals and she will be the one that might get whined at. :p For me what is most important is what makes her and keeps her happy while working on the game.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Could be that you're right, of course. But I wasn't talking about chapter 3 and 4 but about the test "vs renders" we've seen. I think it's the most flagrant with the Joneses. When you compare, their skin has been smoothed a lot between the two images :unsure:
Smooth looks better in my opinion. I think it comes down to efficiency of each card, it's very visible if you zoom in on the pictures. :)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Basically I would wait for new comp and then see how fast you can re-render maybe on old comp while doing new ones for chapter 5 on new comp.
Hmm. I guess I always assumed the new rig would replace the old one with some components carrying over. Having both would be a great production boost, but that would be pricey.:unsure:

Other than that, aye, this seems like the most time efficient solution.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Hmm. I guess I always assumed the new rig would replace the old one with some components carrying over. Having both would be a great production boost, but that would be pricey.:unsure:

Other than that, aye, this seems like the most time efficient solution.
Well since old comp is very old and she basically needs to replace motherboard and power supply, not much would be able to be transferred like memory and transferring the video card might be counter productive since that is what she wants replaced most of all. Yeah it will be pricey likely depending on her budget, since she will want to get as good as she can get. I at least could say to myself I had no need for even better card with more memory or need for that even better processor. That is why she really needs to put a hard fixed budget for herself.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I think, if possible, it should be done before chapter 4 comes out. I know it means that we'll have to wait for the new chapter, but hear me out here.

Let's say chapter 4 comes out tomorrow. The masses rejoice, the land is fertile again, the blind recover eyesight, babies laugh, politicians give the money back to the people, the world is right anew. Then what happens? New peeps come here and wonder why we few, we happy few, sing the praises of Heavy Five and the Great Notty (blessed be Her name). So the new peeps download the game, and the first thing they see are these grainy renders! They close the game, delete it and leave forever wondering why we're so crazy about it.

Now, in this new paradigm, it all starts the same, except chapter 4's out later. People rejoice, politicians find they have a heart, etc. And the newbies come to us with shiny faces and *innocent* expectations. They download the first chapters and BAM!! Quality! Quality everywhere!

I guarantee you the tread will be flooded with "wy didn't i downloaded that game before?!?" Ok, it might become tedious, but think about the sweet patreon money that will go directly into Notty's beaver hamster... :D

Also, in a more serious tone, if Notty does indeed intend for the base to have a new face, it would be weird to either have the new graphics in chapter 4 but not the old ones or, worse, to keep going until she finally makes the decision to work on the remaster, but this time, the amount of work will be greater.

Just food for thought ;)
I think the PC upgrade should defo come before the remaster to save production time.

Obviously we have no problem waiting for it should it come before Chapter Four, but what about others? I think Notty also needs to show the public that the delivery speed actually is pretty fast compared to other ambitious projects, particularly after the unfortunately lost months in spring.

IMO, Chapter Four should come first. This game is not all about the visuals, and the old renders still stand their ground. So, remaster yes, but maybe not as the top priority. The development is in progress, so it's reasonable to expect that not everything will improve at once.

Let's not forget that this will be the chapter that brings the more lewd stuff. That could bring a lot more patrons on board.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Well since old comp is very old and she basically needs to replace motherboard and power supply, not much would be able to be transferred like memory and transferring the video card might be counter productive since that is what she wants replaced most of all. Yeah it will be pricey likely depending on her budget, since she will want to get as good as she can get. I at least could say to myself I had no need for even better card with more memory or need for that even better processor. That is why she really needs to put a hard fixed budget for herself.
Well, the monitors are not cheap.:) But yeah, good points. It's about finding the best compromise, I guess.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Depends on how you do it, there are still a lot of other parts, like hard drives, monitors, peripherals, etc.
Not to mention the power to run it, I plan on building 1 or 2 more out of spare parts when I get the solar funding, but can't really afford that right now myself.
Fantastic! I have nothing else to add.:love:
Giving him the stank eye.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
transferring the video card might be counter productive since that is what she wants replaced most of all.
I don't know this from my own experience, but from what I've read around here, having two cards is better because they complement each other towards the rendering. So, with sufficient power source, I think that can actually be beneficial to carry over.

Reactions: Nottravis

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I don't know this from my own experience, but from what I've read around here, having two cards is better because they complement each other towards the rendering. So, with sufficient power source, I think that can actually be beneficial to carry over.
For Daz it is different than for most applications, but yes, having two is beneficial.
For most games and such, you want to run the cards SLI, so they are in sync, but for Daz, you do not want that, you will get better results if you keep them unconnected (from each other), and just make sure both are selected in the advanced render settings, hardware tab (same place you would deselect the CPU).

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
For Daz it is different than for most applications, but yes, having two is beneficial.
For most games and such, you want to run the cards SLI, so they are in sync, but for Daz, you do not want that, you will get better results if you keep them unconnected (from each other), and just make sure both are selected in the advanced render settings, hardware tab (same place you would deselect the CPU).
Basically you can add the second card to new computer whenever you wish to if build it yourself, same goes for other peripherals and at least the monitor you can easily swap between the two comps if they are close to each other, I normally do that when tanking over stuff. Just bit more easy when two monitors but it is only seconds work.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
There's another problem with combining two different cards for iRay rendering: the graphical memory of the two cards is not combined, but gets *capped* at the memory size of the smallest card. So, let's say, Notty gets an RTX 2070 with 8GB, and adds her old GTX 960 with 2GB to the rig, then that effectively limits the size of the scenes she can render to only 2GB.

Larger scenes (very easy to get a scene over 2GB, just include 2 characters, some props and a bit of complex lighting, and you're over that amount) will then revert to CPU rendering, which will take days (seriously, days!) to get to the quality Notty currently produces. Daz won't automatically ignore the smaller GPU for larger scenes.

For scenes smaller than 2GB, she'd maybe gain a 20% increase in render speed, but those scenes already render relatively fast, so the gain would be 16 minutes to render instead of 20. It already takes longer to set up a scene in the first place, so that gain is really marginal, might as well stick with the 20 minute render and use the 20 minutes to grab a coffee.

A GTX 1060 (either 6GB or 3GB) and an RTX 2070 are already a bit closer in memory size, and more scenes would already fit into the 3GB version. The gain in renderspeed is also already a bit bigger again, as the 1060 has (depending on model again) 10-20% more CUDA cores.

Overall, combining a suitable high-memory card with a low-memory card is like throwing away half the card. Especially if the old card was already restricting your work, then it's generally not a good idea to combine it with the new card for rendering. Maybe disable it for rendering, and using the old card purely as your display driver works out (there is an option in Daz to manually disable a card for rendering). It'll require some fiddling with some settings in your OS and connecting the monitor to the old card instead of the new card, but it's possible.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes