Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Well it all depends on your definition of good and bad of course.
Simple, really. Me good, other bad.

If you like history a bit and look at it all over the world you will see that what is good or bad can vary pretty strongly over time and geography. For example we have a strong rule against killing, while the Inca thought making human sacrifices are a good thing. Also I often see a great willingness even in our society to send out soldiers to safeguard our interests with little regard to the fact they might have to kill or be killed during those missions. Overriding the bad part of (potential) killing with our economic and other interests:p
This reminds me of a quote from Caméra Café (don't laugh, I'm a fan).
Very literal translation:
Sylvain: "Hervé, have you ever done something in your interest but against your conscience?"
Hervé: "Never! It's one of my core values!"
Sylvain: "Ok..." goes away
Hervé (alone): "My conscience always listens to my interest. It's a core value..." *cackle*

See my point above, the fact he has ethics, does not mean that other factors as the greater good of the importance of his research would not override those or that he did not find a way to have Trisha or Kelly volunteer. It is even possible that someone else is running an experiment without Marcus knowing though, even if I would be surprised if he would not suspect at least if that was the case.
Having ethics does not make one a good guy *nods*

Nah, Notty may well find a complete Innocent delight in tempting, teasing us and challenging us with the choices she provides, but she surely knows she is not innocent of wanting to tempt us to see her hard work and paths she provided and will be delighted if someone will take the time to see and enjoy her hard work on those paths and will be challenged. After all it is the interaction of our choices and the content she provides that makes the game come alive, so how could she not want us to experience and explore it. Also as an aside, she created the characters and the convictions and beliefs they hold so at least part of the consequences of our choices are her choice, whether we are warned beforehand or not that those will be the consequences.
Choices are ours to make, but consequences are Notty's responsibility *nods some more and grabs a glass of water*

Well who says Trisha hates her husband? They may well be in what we Dutch would call a "vechtvereniging" (vecht is fight and vereniging in this context would be relationship). The kind of relationship where people seem unable to live together but deep down there is great care and love and mutual dependency. Just ask Marcus a bit too much about Trisha when you first meet him and see his reaction. Pretty sure he will not be happy if you start anything with Trisha. :p
I'm all for fighteasing a little, hell, I've been in a few relationships where we used to talk smack to each other. In France, we have a saying, "Qui aime bien châtie bien", meaning "Him who likes you will poke fun at you". The closest expression could simply be "tough love". When you like someone, you're not always saying sweet things to them, else you get diabetic and die. BUT (and just like Trisha's, this is a big butt) in this case, this is nothing like tough love. We are more likely in front of a situation I'd affectionately call "why da fuck are you still married and working together you dumb cunts!?". A.k.a. "Run, you fucking moron, else she will devour your gonads and lay her eggs in your still breathing corpse!". You get my drift.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
This reminds me of a quote from Caméra Café (don't laugh, I'm a fan).
Very literal translation:
Sylvain: "Hervé, have you ever done something in your interest but against your conscience?"
Hervé: "Never! It's one of my core values!"
Sylvain: "Ok..." goes away
Hervé (alone): "My conscience always listens to my interest. It's a core value..." *cackle*
True, not even close to the complete extent of my argument, but our own interest is often a core value even if we hide that fact from ourselves. :p

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
True, not even close to the complete extent of my argument, but our own interest is often a core value even if we hide that fact from ourselves. :p
Well, unless you're like me and you have a very unhealthy habit of putting your interest dead fucking last so people will like you maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Well, unless you're like me and you have a very unhealthy habit of putting your interest dead fucking last so people will like you maybe.
Well then it may be wise to seek out some help for that. Not to shame you or anything, but I have some personal experience with that problem and it is not something you can deal with yourself. Even then though your subconcious will still take your needs into consideration, just you have completely no control over that.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Well then it may be wise to seek out some help for that. Not to shame you or anything, but I have some personal experience with that problem and it is not something you can deal with yourself. Even then though your subconcious will still take your needs into consideration, just you have completely no control over that.
It is and I do. It's just not something I can fix very quickly, even with help. Also, no. Outside of survival instinct I have have no regard or esteem for my own self whatsoever. Subconscious or otherwise.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
*looks innocent!*
Uhh....

Just *looks innocent*, not *is innocent*? Is your halo slipping? :unsure: :whistle:
Beat me to it.

Thanks. A slightly mawkish example but the best one I could think of to show that even experts sometimes can be overcome by bias.
True. Being cognizant of that is the first step towards recognizing when it happens, although that recognition is often too late. Hindsight is 20/20? More like hindsight is a fucking electron microscope. Given the way Notty writes I wouldn't be surprised if the MC (and others) look back after they've solved the problem (assuming they do) and kick themselves for being blind to it in the first place.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes