Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
finding Annie's mig was fun and made the game more fun, please don't remove those elements that change the options...
as of the nw model.. I'll have to remind you that the Vanny is one of the oldest gals on duty...
I take the point that they do add more gameplay - but Chapter One was the only one I had them in and they don't add that much. It's a risk that it's more of a chore to actually find these things by having to click everywhere and there are other ways to get content in.

If we look at the three chapters out so far, I doubt many people would say that Three suffered by an absence of clickables for example. So for consistency they'll come out,

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
I take the point that they do add more gameplay - but Chapter One was the only one I had them in and they don't add that much. It's a risk that it's more of a chore to actually find these things by having to click everywhere and there are other ways to get content in.

If we look at the three chapters out so far, I doubt many people would say that Three suffered by an absence of clickables for example. So for consistency they'll come out,
You mean this isn't a hidden objects game?

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Only really a test but even so!
*is pleased with her little self!*

Needs a lot of work but as a proof of concept, it works! :)

Oh and "Rock Becca"

View attachment 396131
Finally found time to watch it! That was simply great :D

Would there be any plan to just do...
moar.jpg
of if? :3

Last edited:

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019

I liked the clickables, but do think they needed some kind of a "hey, this thingy is clickable!!" indicator. Like, no indication that Annie's mug is clickable when you just have the screen open, but a thin blue border around it when you move your mouse over it.
(Not sure how to do it in Ren'Py, but I've seen other developers manage to do this, it's probably to do with adding an overlay on some event called "Mouse_over" or something similar. It might need removing again on some other event, not sure.
A possibility is also placing an overlay object (like, a button) above the mug with a transparent texture, which could then have that "Mouse_over" event tied to itself, which then (temporarily) changes its own picture. It varies a bit with each programming language how to do tricks like these, and what the exact event would be called and whether it disables itself, or needs some other trick to disable again.

But seriously, if you can keep the eastereggs hidden, but with just a little indicator, that would be perfect!

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
If we look at the three chapters out so far, I doubt many people would say that Three suffered by an absence of clickables for example.
Aye, I didn't miss them at all. I don't mind clickable objects, but I can do away without the need to click on characters to talk to them. That gets slightly tiresome after a dozen or so playthroughs.

IMO they really don't add much. When I discovered the mug I didn't go "Oooh! This was clickable! I wonder what else is!" but rather " Ah, this little bugger was clickable. Hmm, it did felt out of place. Ok." With the cargo, it was even less exciting since there was nothing else to do but click on those. (Though I confess that it took me months before I discovered tritanium has effect on dialogues with Chris). :) Last but not least, only fraction of my saves have unlocked first BP because I tend to forget about it (not its content though, that's memorable!)

I liked the clickables, but do think they needed some kind of a "hey, this thingy is clickable!!" indicator. Like, no indication that Annie's mug is clickable when you just have the screen open, but a thin blue border around it when you move your mouse over it.
That would help, but still those objects are tied to screens where you have to click on something. What would work, I guess, is if those screens appeared only if there actually are clickable objects. It would also work as indication players can look for them. As I mention above, I don't particularly like them when all there is to do is click on a character to initiate dialogue.

Ultimately, I agree with Notty's point about consistency.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
(Not sure how to do it in Ren'Py, but I've seen other developers manage to do this, it's probably to do with adding an overlay on some event called "Mouse_over" or something similar. It might need removing again on some other event, not sure.
A possibility is also placing an overlay object (like, a button) above the mug with a transparent texture, which could then have that "Mouse_over" event tied to itself, which then (temporarily) changes its own picture. It varies a bit with each programming language how to do tricks like these, and what the exact event would be called and whether it disables itself, or needs some other trick to disable again.

But seriously, if you can keep the eastereggs hidden, but with just a little indicator, that would be perfect!
Oh it's easy enough to do in Renpy. You just use a different image for the hover.

An earlier version of Chapter One actually had that highlighted effect in but, to my mind, that just made it worse as all you'd do as the player is whizz your mouse around a screen until something changed colour. So not even a challenge, more of a chore I thought. Y'know, you get to a screen and just...move your mouse around? *thought it was a bit dull*

Aye, I didn't miss them at all. I don't mind clickable objects, but I can do away without the need to click on characters to talk to them. That gets slightly tiresome after a dozen or so playthroughs.

IMO they really don't add much. When I discovered the mug I didn't go "Oooh! This was clickable! I wonder what else is!" but rather " Ah, this little bugger was clickable. Hmm, it did felt out of place. Ok." With the cargo, it was even less exciting since there was nothing else to do but click on those. (Though I confess that it took me months before I discovered tritanium has effect on dialogues with Chris). :) Last but not least, only fraction of my saves have unlocked first BP because I tend to forget about it (not its content though, that's memorable!)

That would help, but still those objects are tied to screens where you have to click on something. What would work, I guess, is if those screens appeared only if there actually are clickable objects. It would also work as indication players can look for them. As I mention above, I don't particularly like them when all there is to do is click on a character to initiate dialogue.

Ultimately, I agree with Notty's point about consistency.
I think the consistency is the most important point. At the mo I'm starting the game saying one thing - then drop it all for the subsequent three chapters. (no clickables in Four either).

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I think the consistency is the most important point. At the mo I'm starting the game saying one thing - then drop it all for the subsequent three chapters. (no clickables in Four either).
It's especially important since the tutorial and sweet Becca are teaching us all these gameplay features, and in the end, only the PDA is really used in the game.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes