DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
It depends a lot on what you want to focus on, I guess. Making male characters, who are mostly less important than the female ones, isn't really a priority. The real issue is when even the female characters are totally interchangeable and common. Personally, I tend to avoid games where I've seen the girls in more than one other game, it just denotes a kind of laziness in the dev :/

For example, I tried to create significantly different male profiles (and female as well ^^), and it doesn't take that much work. But I understand not wanting to spend much time in a background character. This is why "self-contained" games, such as Heavy Five, can solely focus on the main characters. When the whole story is done in a secluded place, you don't have to bother with making tons and tons of background characters. Only focus on the protagonists.

That being said, Notty's got quite the number of protagonists AND keep adding secondary characters in things like Channel 7, SP, the DeWitt movies :unsure: How can she keep that level of quality, then? Simple, the woman is a witch!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
She is likely cackling right at this moment. :p Another thing is that people do tend to give most males the same body type and either go for the Japanes salary man or the muscled types. We have a bit more variety in real life.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Well, you see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
I love this thread and everyone in it.

I guess you either have a very low opinion of your own looks or a very high one of everyone elses. Ever looked around you when walking around. I would hardly call all people super attractive looks wise. :p
I have a very low opinion of my everything.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I was gonna ask, am I naive to think DAZ3D could let people make different looking characters devs just either don't have the "artistic doits" or are too lazy to bother. Maybe just think making a custom model (especially for males) just isn't worth their time and efforts?
Mostly lazy, but it depends, it is only one factor out of many. Some people only want to focus on certain things...
It depends a lot on what you want to focus on, I guess. Making male characters, who are mostly less important than the female ones, isn't really a priority. The real issue is when even the female characters are totally interchangeable and common. Personally, I tend to avoid games where I've seen the girls in more than one other game, it just denotes a kind of laziness in the dev :/

For example, I tried to create significantly different male profiles (and female as well ^^), and it doesn't take that much work. But I understand not wanting to spend much time in a background character. This is why "self-contained" games, such as Heavy Five, can solely focus on the main characters. When the whole story is done in a secluded place, you don't have to bother with making tons and tons of background characters. Only focus on the protagonists.

That being said, Notty's got quite the number of protagonists AND keep adding secondary characters in things like Channel 7, SP, the DeWitt movies :unsure: How can she keep that level of quality, then? Simple, the woman is a witch!

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by yours, the beards help too, but it's obvious you put the care into it.

So far, I have 3-4 (out of 30-40 that I have made so far) that were 'base models', they are side and background characters, and I am really likely to redo them before I actually introduce them in the game.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Mostly lazy, but it depends, it is only one factor out of many. Some people only want to focus on certain things...

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by yours, the beards help too, but it's obvious you put the care into it.

So far, I have 3-4 (out of 30-40 that I have made so far) that were 'base models', they are side and background characters, and I am really likely to redo them before I actually introduce them in the game.
Yeah putting that kind of care in definitely helps with world building and immersion, but it is a trade off with the amount of time you have to put into a game as a developer.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Yeah putting that kind of care in definitely helps with world building and immersion, but it is a trade off with the amount of time you have to put into a game as a developer.
To some degree, but once you have them made, it doesn't add any time after that.

...Maybe it's just me, because I love making characters! :geek:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
To some degree, but once you have them made, it doesn't add any time after that.

...Maybe it's just me, because I love making characters! :geek:
True, cause you already put the work in then. :p It kinda depends on the game you want to make though, if you just want to make a quick short fuck fest it may not be worth that time. If you want to make a deep immersive story it likely is.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I'm more saddened that most women in games are not the petite sweet small tittied gf of my dreams than anything else.
She is likely cackling right at this moment. :p
Too right.

Personally, I tend to avoid games where I've seen the girls in more than one other game, it just denotes a kind of laziness in the dev :/
Agreed. You'll enjoy watching TV with Sarah....

When the whole story is done in a secluded place, you don't have to bother with making tons and tons of background characters.
*laughs hard!*

*cackles for a reason doncha know...*

Lesse how many minor chars I have so far? Nine chars alone in dewitt and C7 plus another five in the SP, plus another six in VR. So there's twenty....with many more to come. So probs around 40/50 minors by the time we end? And then there's the actual game itself....

So I suspect H5 will have more chars than any other game when finished as none of the above are really background chars either? They all have dialogue and actions at least.
Also was looking at DAZ site and most models don't seem that pricey but i supposed when you start adding several things the price can become quite high.
Aye, it's surprising how quickly it can total up if you're not careful. BP alone cost around $50 in assets and I already had McGruder...

Think Notty did quite a good job though on Marcus and Mike.
Thankees. Although to be fair mebbe easier for me to tweak male chars into something ...attractive? :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
True, cause you already put the work in then. :p It kinda depends on the game you want to make though, if you just want to make a quick short fuck fest it may not be worth that time. If you want to make a deep immersive story it likely is.
Oh God aye. What you think looks fine can turn out not to be in certain situations. Plus add in the fact that all poses and clothes are made for fucking stick models and you can get a lot of work on your hands from left field all of a sudden. I think I've said before that Becca is a total cow to work with due to her body shape.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Well, you could either take generic characters and have a game look like you didn't put any effort into it, or you try to really work on it and it shows. At the end of the day, the only quality scale is when your game is finished and you look back to it. Then, it's better to have a bit of personality infused into it.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Well, you could either take generic characters and have a game look like you didn't put any effort into it, or you try to really work on it and it shows. At the end of the day, the only quality scale is when your game is finished and you look back to it. Then, it's better to have a bit of personality infused into it.
This. Totes this

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Sorry to hear it, that is exactly what I mean, if I as the player can't avoid it then it is forced. I don't sleep with guys, no matter who I am playing, I would rather play a game without sex than to have to fuck a guy. Oh well, every game can't be for every player, but this is why I avoid most female protagonist games around here, not enough solo or gay stuff. :p I hope it does well for you though!
I just don't find males attractive at all and it makes the experience not as good. When I play a man fucking women. Chances are in most game I'll at least find them physcially attractive. I'm looking for girls I find "mentally" attractive as a priority but I can't deny. If a girl's body is my type I'm gonna at least want to check out her route, probably.
I'd say there are three kinds of straight male players when it comes to female protagonists. Those who play them as lesbians because they insert their own sexual orientation, those who are not really playing them and just want to see sex, and then there's me. :)

I'm 110% straight but when I play female characters I play them as bi (with romantic focus somewhat more inclined towards straight). Why? There are several reasons. If I ask myself a question, would I be interested in men if I were a woman? The answer is yes, most likely. You see, for me it comes down to simple preferences in anatomy, there just has to be at least one vagina involved and not more than one penis. That's a dealbreaker. I can't even watch gay stuff, it's just too discomforting. Another thing is that I find playing from the opposite side of a straight relationship barricade interesting. For me it's just roleplaying from a different perspective.

A good-looking dude who is smart, has a sense of humor and a spine, and is neither a creep nor a douche… that is simply not done in straight games. And I don’t know why. Maybe straight males (which most devs are) don’t really “get” what makes a guy hot. Who knows?
Yeah, male options for female protagonists tend to be terrible. Likeable guys are extremely hard to come by. I don't know what's with devs portraying almost all of them as creeps one way or another. Maybe nice guys just don't fit the "corruption" theme all those games have. It seems to be a desired effect to make players hate them.
Well, knowing what makes a guy hot could help me.
There isn't an universal answer. Just look past thinking that boys are icky and you can pick up qualities you like.:)
I think there are a few nice male models but just that they aren't very utilized, in a lot of games you are more likely to see the overly obese and or old guy who is usually some villain or a comedy relief character. :p
Yep, I agree.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Are you okay Notty? Do you need to have a rest? Lie down perhaps? :unsure:
This. Totes this
That's twice now that you've agreed with Huitieme! :eek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Totally. You can create a character only once (well, some remake them midgame, which I utterly dislike). Make the best of it, I say, the tools are there.:)

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Spoiler: Well hello
Yeah I'll have a bucket of that, pls. There are games with girls that are my type but usually they're still really early in development and not much content yet. So, patience.

In all fainrness the women of Heavy Five at least look human. Which is more than they need to be to turn me on but it helps.

There isn't an universal answer. Just look past thinking that boys are icky and you can pick up qualities you like.:)
That's fair although I don't think boys are icky. They just don't tickle my noodle is all.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Lesse how many minor chars I have so far? Nine chars alone in dewitt and C7 plus another five in the SP, plus another six in VR. So there's twenty....with many more to come. So probs around 40/50 minors by the time we end? And then there's the actual game itself....

So I suspect H5 will have more chars than any other game when finished as none of the above are really background chars either? They all have dialogue and actions at least.
That makes it tempting to make some kind of tribute video to the entire cast once the game is finished.:D

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
In all fainrness the women of Heavy Five at least look human. Which is more than they need to be to turn me on but it helps.
Yep, they do. To me unrealistic body types are a huge turn off. I don't play almost any 2D art adult games for this very reason. I like hot air balloons in the air, not in girls. Well, maybe if they actually could float...:unsure:

That's fair although I don't think boys are icky. They just don't tickle my noodle is all.
Haha. It was just an expression. :)

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes