Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah, there is a fine line, and some can do things well, others ...not so much.
For example, if you ask the players to pick what order something might be in, normally you are going to get a few favorites who always get picked, but once you have done a bit with one, if you don't let people vote for that until you have done a bit of everyone else, then it's not so bad...

But, like with most things, moderation is key.
Aye as Akamari says I let Patrons choose a bit of content. Actually a fair bit now I think of it :) But all side stuff. Bored Pilot the Scarlet Pirate and the bonus mini-game content are the best examples tho. In the case of all of these they don't really impact on the main SL at all and it's rather fun for me having to come up with the interviews etc.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
While true to some degree, it would've been better if the developer had taken a bit more time, and planned the story of his game ahead of development. Even if the plan isn't really detailed yet, just a crude plan for the game starts with A, it concludes with Z, and inbetween I'll have the key story developments D, F, M and Q. I sadly see many developers here starting with the A, maybe a B, but who don't have a clue yet about D, even less about conclusion Z. Preperation really matters for making a consistent storyline instead of a pot-pourri (Thank you for the correction, Huitieme!!!)
Yep it has to be done properly *sage nods*

383346_Untitled.png

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
IDK, I picture it as a map, you click on the map, like the travel icons before, and it takes you to the room in question. Aside from potentially being an extra click, I don't know what to say other than it looks great!
And this way players would know if there was anyone there of course :)

But I could use the same concept for the base as well. I think it will tie all the chapters together consistency wise at least.

But begods unravelling the coding on One....*laughs* it really was quite awful!

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Are you going to put this scene back in the game? :)

View attachment 397685

Thoughts? As opposed to the existing system?
Well, it's excellent and I like it a lot. In the previous version, it was kinda hard to really understand how the Vanny was arranged and where to go. Now we can understand the rooms' disposition AND where to go. For example, I'm one to not go directly towards the goal and I usually prefer to see the other places before, so in this case, I'd visit Defence and Cargo bay before going to Engineering. But how do other players do it? I fear they wouldn't even visit these rooms if they knew no one would wait for them there :unsure:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Now that is quite the improvement for sure. :) Guess not only your rendering improved but also your coding skills, that might be even better reason to look at chapter 1 and 2 so it will not bite you in your lovely behind later:p

Agree with Thornberry that the letters might be slightly more vivid, great otherwise. Huitieme also made a great remark, though with clickables removed not that hard to enter information otherwise.

My two cents on the discussions about content and Patrons. It can have both advantages and disadvantages, but the important thing is that the dev has to make sure he/she is the one who stays in control. Sometimes it can challenge and refresh a dev to work with their patrons, but you need to ensure that it stays manageable. By the way I kind of remember that a certain dev I know is quite good at predicting way in advance which option will win in her polls. :p

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Are you going to put this scene back in the game? :)
Yeppers. Looking at the code it should have worked, but since I'm stripping out all the movement gubbins today and replacing it with the new stuff I'll give it a kick. I'm not remastering that scene for nothing :)

Well, it's excellent and I like it a lot. In the previous version, it was kinda hard to really understand how the Vanny was arranged and where to go. Now we can understand the rooms' disposition AND where to go. For example, I'm one to not go directly towards the goal and I usually prefer to see the other places before, so in this case, I'd visit Defence and Cargo bay before going to Engineering.
But how do other players do it? I fear they wouldn't even visit these rooms if they knew no one would wait for them there :unsure:
Well up to them if they don't.... :)

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Morning! So what about some more The Clash to begin with, my favorite song from them by the way.
"This is fuckin' long, isn't it?":D
Have I mentioned how much I love Yvonne? Because it's a lot. A whole lot! :D
Yeah yeah, we know... fine fan art by the way.;) vvv
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Completed Chapter 4 is now with my primary tester. I'll let her have a crack at it before passing out more widely.

Remaster going well, cross fingers I should have the new Chapter One up tomorrow. :)
Going smoothly, great!:)
Dolphins already left and thanked us for the fish.
For those who didn't understand:
;)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Now that is quite the improvement for sure. :) Guess not only your rendering improved but also your coding skills, that might be even better reason to look at chapter 1 and 2 so it will not bite you in your lovely behind later:p

Agree with Thornberry that the letters might be slightly more vivid, great otherwise. Huitieme also made a great remark, though with clickables removed not that hard to enter information otherwise.

By the way I kind of remember that a certain dev I know is quite good at predicting way in advance which option will win in her polls. :p
;) All in the planning, no?

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
:love::love::love: (out of words)
View attachment 397685

Thoughts? As opposed to the existing system?
This is how I would do it. :)

It actually conveys the "free roaming" spirit much better than the old system. It literally gives a bigger picture to the choice of where to go.:)

Maybe one little nitpick is the respective position of engineering and defence. As they are next to each other, seeing them like this kinda breaks the illusion each button actually shows the correct location. But I guess trying to put them all correctly wouldn't look as nice and orderly like it does here, so it doesn't really matter.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Morning! So what about some more The Clash to begin with, my favorite song from them by the way.
"This is fuckin' long, isn't it?":D

Yeah yeah, we know... fine fan art by the way.;) vvv

Going smoothly, great!:)

For those who didn't understand:
;)
Well if you want to do music?

Perhaps play the Heavy Five song?

Altogether now "There's a man going round taking names..." *cackles!*

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes