Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
So a single throw away base does make sense with very little man power. The loss of it can easily be written off, plus removal of the doctor whom is the only one maybe pushing for this planet.

For all we know my hollow planet joke is on the money and there are gazillions of them, so a small base makes sense until the early study done by the good doc can figure how they live/procreate, then maybe some form of long term or abduction based experimentation.
It's possible, but why would they lie about the low population on the brink of extinction estimates it in the official dossier (assuming it's for the military and not everyone)?

If they don't know about what is under the surface, why not have a bigger operation since the threat is low?

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
*peeks in and wiggles eyebrows at them all - goes back to rendering*
2 things you're good at... rendering and eyebrow wiggling...

It's possible, but why would they lie about the low population on the brink of extinction estimates it in the official dossier (assuming it's for the military and not everyone)?

If they don't know about what is under the surface, why not have a bigger operation since the threat is low?
unless someone wants an accident to happen and everyone assigned to the planet is considered a sacrifice necessary to the greater scheme

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017

How would they truly know a population? Humans as an example have lived in caves, in forests, deserts, etc.

Seeing a dusty planet with a random handful of aliens, who might live in caves wouldn't make me initially think the planet is infested with untold billions.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
2 things you're good at... rendering and eyebrow wiggling...
I'd say, just based on what we know, this list should have a lot more items than 2.:sneaky:

unless someone wants an accident to happen and everyone assigned to the planet is considered a sacrifice necessary to the greater scheme
That's what I think. Question is who and why?:)

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
How would they truly know a population? Humans as an example have lived in caves, in forests, deserts, etc.

Seeing a dusty planet with a random handful of aliens, who might live in caves wouldn't make me initially think the planet is infested with untold billions.
Well, they didn't just make up the figures, did they? Surely, they would have tried to somehow assess if there is a ticking bomb below. Seems like a good thing to know.

Reactions: Nottravis

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Well, they didn't just make up the figures, did they? Surely, they would have tried to somehow assess if there is a ticking bomb below. Seems like a good thing to know.
I think it went like this.

Dr Amanda does the math.

Math is checked and confirmed.

They sent a sat to the planet, maybe a probe too.

Data is sent back saying life sustaining.

They send some people there to put a base to start working on colonization and terra forming.

They see a LGM.

Probably freak out.

Get told to stay put and keep an eye out. (This keeps them from contracting what may be anything virulent or deadly).

New planet is found.

They scuttle the colonization plan and have a skeleton crew left over.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Hrm....some of you are starting to get rather good at this. Certainly some of the points raised are correct....

Righties, after slogging away the news is that I could release Chapter Two this weekend. Except I'm not going to. Let me explain why and what I'm going to do.

Essentially, I made a mistake in using an asset for the accommodation scenes. The room used, after a lot of tweaking, does look great and on testing rendered at a reasonable rate. However, once I start dropping characters into it, it slows to a crawl. Especially, as I have the realism turned up to the max.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now on a lot of assets they have spines and bones so you can eliminate aspects of the room you don't need, which is my usual trick. In this case sadly the asset isn't designed like that. It's the whole room or nothing. My second go to of rendering the background and then adding overlays of the character on top in this instance just looks...wrong. Softening or blurring the images or trying depth of field adjustments still give a very fake look - which is what I'm not after at all. I also bought and tried Scene Optimiser, which although works on some aspects of the room makes other aspects of it look frankly quite terrible (I concede this may be due to my only just getting it and not having much time to learn the ropes of this particular script however).

And yet, if I ran a handful of more renders, I'd be finished so why no release?

In short because using this asset going forward just isn't sustainable. The accommodation scenes going forward will get a lot more complex, especially down some paths, and the continued use of this asset will slow further chapters to a crawl which isn't what any of us want.

I also don't really want to use one set of rooms for this Chapter and have Ophion station have a room makeover for the ones going forward as that would look, well, silly if nothing else.

However, what I have done is bought yet another set of assets. The new room is one I build in components and therefore is a lot more under my control allowing me to dispense with most of the set as I need for each scene. This, even with test characters in, has reduced the render time from 90 minutes to about 20.

So, I screwed up a little I'm afraid but have rectified my mistake. I'm telling you now in advance of the charge in case any of you wish to change your minds regards patronage before the February charge hits. The new release date, given I need to re-render four scenes will be the 9th February.

I can appreciate many of you will be disappointed by this news - which I totally share. I am, truly sorry but this is due to me trying to achieve the highest quality possible for you to enjoy. Oh...and me being a bit of a ditz of course...

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Hrm....some of you are starting to get rather good at this. Certainly some of the points raised are correct....

Righties, after slogging away the news is that I could release Chapter Two this weekend. Except I'm not going to. Let me explain why and what I'm going to do.

Essentially, I made a mistake in using an asset for the accommodation scenes. The room used, after a lot of tweaking, does look great and on testing rendered at a reasonable rate. However, once I start dropping characters into it, it slows to a crawl. Especially, as I have the realism turned up to the max.

Now on a lot of assets they have spines and bones so you can eliminate aspects of the room you don't need, which is my usual trick. In this case sadly the asset isn't designed like that. It's the whole room or nothing. My second go to of rendering the background and then adding overlays of the character on top in this instance just looks...wrong. Softening or blurring the images or trying depth of field adjustments still give a very fake look - which is what I'm not after at all. I also bought and tried Scene Optimiser, which although works on some aspects of the room makes other aspects of it look frankly quite terrible (I concede this may be due to my only just getting it and not having much time to learn the ropes of this particular script however).

In short because using this asset going forward just isn't sustainable. The accommodation scenes going forward will get a lot more complex, especially down some paths, and the continued use of this asset will slow further chapters to a crawl which isn't what any of us want.

I also don't really want to use one set of rooms for this Chapter and have Ophion station have a room makeover for the ones going forward as that would look, well, silly if nothing else.

However, what I have done is bought yet another set of assets. The new room is one I build in components and therefore is a lot more under my control allowing me to dispense with most of the set as I need for each scene. This, even with test characters in, has reduced the render time from 90 minutes to about 20.

So, I screwed up a little I'm afraid but have rectified my mistake. I'm telling you now in advance of the charge in case any of you wish to change your minds regards patronage before the February charge hits. The new release date, given I need to re-render four scenes will be the 9th February.

I can appreciate many of you will be disappointed by this news - which I totally share. I am, truly sorry but this is due to me trying to achieve the highest quality possible for you to enjoy. Oh...and me being a bit of a ditz of course...
That's why some of us adore you. The juice is worth the wait

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

No need to apologise, sometimes things just don't go right. Take as much time as necessary for you to be happy with it. My support is unwavering.:)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
@Nottravis

At least you got a skill point.

Think of it this way, you have learned to do quick tests with any new things you acquire to see if it will adversely affect your pipeline/timeline.

Better to learn this now than just push through and having to do 100 renders that will take huge amounts of time because of being stubborn, or having to magic in a new room 4 chapters into the story.

Illuminati

Dec 7, 2017
Recommended music to listen as you read the conspiracy theories in the thread or game lore:

And this one when we arrive to the outpost:

:ROFLMAO:

ps: I could listen Purgatory for 5 hours and still want more.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
@Nottravis

At least you got a skill point.

Think of it this way, you have learned to do quick tests with any new things you acquire to see if it will adversely affect your pipeline/timeline.

Better to learn this now than just push through and having to do 100 renders that will take huge amounts of time because of being stubborn, or having to magic in a new room 4 chapters into the story.
Aye, true enough. The annoying thing is that testing the room by itself actually seemed OK. It was only when I started dropping characters in it that it went slooooooooooooooooooooooow. No idea why, either :(

Still, as you say, I've learned. Just a bugger it was for Chapter Two. Of course part of the problem is that I use so many renders per scene. The lewd with Annie alone is some forty renders long, and that's excluding all the stuff before and after.

No need to apologise, sometimes things just don't go right. Take as much time as necessary for you to be happy with it. My support is unwavering.:)
Thank you *smiles softly*

Frosty2000

Nov 16, 2017
It's killing me that, again, technical limitations are holding me back. God willing I'll remaster the shit out of this game in a few months!

*braces for her all patrons to bugger off this afternoon tho...* :(
I see my Patreon support as investment in you getting the necessary equipment to make the best game you can make. I support other developers who don't post updates for several months, so a short delay like yours doesn't faze me. I am used to way worse.;) I also still have "God of Wars", "Persona 5" and "Horizon:Zero Dawn" on my list to play.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes