Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I see my Patreon support as investment in you getting the necessary equipment to make the best game you can make. I support other developers who don't post updates for several months, so a short delay like yours doesn't faze me. I am used to way worse.;) I also still have "God of Wars", "Persona 5" and "Horizon:Zero Dawn" on my list to play.
*curtsies*

I suppose I see it like a monthly sub for monthly content y'know? Like subscribing to a magazine? That's probs why I'm annoyed with myself more than anything - plus ..gah...it just looks so fucking good :( I think that's why stupidly I kept trying to struggle on with it.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
*curtsies*

I suppose I see it like a monthly sub for monthly content y'know? Like subscribing to a magazine? That's probs why I'm annoyed with myself more than anything - plus ..gah...it just looks so fucking good :( I think that's why stupidly I kept trying to struggle on with it.
You really shouldn't see it like that. Nobody should.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Maybe send a message on the forums of where you got the room and ask if there are ways around it or if anyone has any clue to why it happens and fix it?
Aye, a good idea. I did poke around the Daz forums on this asset but sadly it does appear that it's all or nothing. The way it's constructed...well, to be fair to the designer of it I suspect they weren't expecting anyone to try and make over a 100 renders from it in a single go. Sadly, the only solution seems to be to actually get into the actual construction of the asset and rebuild it. That's a skill set I just don't have and I'm scared that if I tried to learn it a) I might not be able to do it and b) I'd lose even more time.

PowerDildos

May 30, 2017
*peeks in and wiggles eyebrows at them all - goes back to rendering*
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I think it went like this.

Dr Amanda does the math.

Math is checked and confirmed.

They sent a sat to the planet, maybe a probe too.

Data is sent back saying life sustaining.

They send some people there to put a base to start working on colonization and terra forming.

They see a LGM.

Probably freak out.

Get told to stay put and keep an eye out. (This keeps them from contracting what may be anything virulent or deadly).

New planet is found.

They scuttle the colonization plan and have a skeleton crew left over.
Yeah, this is more or less what I gathered as the most logical course of events as well.

@Nottravis look at RahRah current thought *smirks*
View attachment 235348
This was due to the infinite video-game talk bug, right?

Hrm....some of you are starting to get rather good at this. Certainly some of the points raised are correct....

Righties, after slogging away the news is that I could release Chapter Two this weekend. Except I'm not going to. Let me explain why and what I'm going to do.

Essentially, I made a mistake in using an asset for the accommodation scenes. The room used, after a lot of tweaking, does look great and on testing rendered at a reasonable rate. However, once I start dropping characters into it, it slows to a crawl. Especially, as I have the realism turned up to the max.

Now on a lot of assets they have spines and bones so you can eliminate aspects of the room you don't need, which is my usual trick. In this case sadly the asset isn't designed like that. It's the whole room or nothing. My second go to of rendering the background and then adding overlays of the character on top in this instance just looks...wrong. Softening or blurring the images or trying depth of field adjustments still give a very fake look - which is what I'm not after at all. I also bought and tried Scene Optimiser, which although works on some aspects of the room makes other aspects of it look frankly quite terrible (I concede this may be due to my only just getting it and not having much time to learn the ropes of this particular script however).

And yet, if I ran a handful of more renders, I'd be finished so why no release?

In short because using this asset going forward just isn't sustainable. The accommodation scenes going forward will get a lot more complex, especially down some paths, and the continued use of this asset will slow further chapters to a crawl which isn't what any of us want.

I also don't really want to use one set of rooms for this Chapter and have Ophion station have a room makeover for the ones going forward as that would look, well, silly if nothing else.

However, what I have done is bought yet another set of assets. The new room is one I build in components and therefore is a lot more under my control allowing me to dispense with most of the set as I need for each scene. This, even with test characters in, has reduced the render time from 90 minutes to about 20.

So, I screwed up a little I'm afraid but have rectified my mistake. I'm telling you now in advance of the charge in case any of you wish to change your minds regards patronage before the February charge hits. The new release date, given I need to re-render four scenes will be the 9th February.

I can appreciate many of you will be disappointed by this news - which I totally share. I am, truly sorry but this is due to me trying to achieve the highest quality possible for you to enjoy. Oh...and me being a bit of a ditz of course...
It's killing me that, again, technical limitations are holding me back. God willing I'll remaster the shit out of this game in a few months!

*braces for her all patrons to bugger off this afternoon tho...* :(
This is completely understandable, it's nothing to be worried about. Technical struggles happen sometimes, and you have already implemented a more efficient solution that will future proof you. This is nothing damning. I would be worried at scaring away Patreons either, especially not with how open you are in regards to the progress you are making in this way.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Notty, I apologise for the strong language. yet I honestly believe you are too harsh on yourself. what you lack in speed is compensated by the game's quality and your nice personality. i don't think any patreon would drop their pledges unless for a life-thretening emergency

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Aye, a good idea. I did poke around the Daz forums on this asset but sadly it does appear that it's all or nothing. The way it's constructed...well, to be fair to the designer of it I suspect they weren't expecting anyone to try and make over a 100 renders from it in a single go. Sadly, the only solution seems to be to actually get into the actual construction of the asset and rebuild it. That's a skill set I just don't have and I'm scared that if I tried to learn it a) I might not be able to do it and b) I'd lose even more time.
Learning a new skill isn't bad, I would say to do that in off time, so it doesn't interfere with what you are making now.

Who knows, might help you make renders better/faster.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
@PowerDildos?

This was due to the infinite video-game talk bug, right?
Yep, I've removed it now - just haven't re-released it as yet.

This is completely understandable, it's nothing to be worried about. Technical struggles happen sometimes, and you have already implemented a more efficient solution that will future proof you. This is nothing damning. I would be worried at scaring away Patreons either, especially not with how open you are in regards to the progress you are making in this way.

Notty, I apologise for the strong language. yet I honestly believe you are too harsh on yourself. what you lack in speed is compensated by the game's quality and your nice personality. i don't think any patreon would drop their pledges unless for a life-thretening emergency
Nothing to apologise for. At least I'm being open with them I suppose.

Learning a new skill isn't bad, I would say to do that in off time, so it doesn't interfere with what you are making now.

Who knows, might help you make renders better/faster.

The upside is that with a bit more time now I might be able to re-instate Annie singing "The Engineer's girlfriend" song when drunk...

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes