Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I've been musing a bit about this game and why it hasn't taken off like some others. It's got a compelling storyline, great writing, excellent world building, and strong characters. The visuals might not be cutting edge like CoBD, but even the first chapter holds up pretty well. So why don't more people love it?

And why don't I love it? :unsure:

Long, slightly rambling discussion on game design and my tastes in fiction follows. I'm dumping it in spoilers to avoid inflicting it on those who don't care.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyway, that's my amateur diagnosis. Quite possibly its all nonsense and I'm projecting my own preferences onto the general audience even though I've done my best to be objective. Also hope it doesn't come off as too critical, because I've got a lot of affection for H5 and I want to see it soar.
Nice work.

Yeah we have been talking about this before. I also had to readjust my mindset while playing this game in the beginning and it took chapter 3 when did some more different paths and choices for me for the game to come together and its characters to really start to shine. Unfortunately this is not something you could easily change though due to the setup and nature of the game. Maybe some earlier sex might help to pull people in, but it would not really fit the game imo and as I said in my review, the pacing is already pretty fast as is, when think at end chapter 3 you are only 2 days in.

Considering the power fantasy you may well have a point and I suspect MC will take more center stage later on, but never will be a super hero. I see MC in this game more like a cowboy looking for work riding into a new small town that he has never been near, he is unknown and knows nobody, a stranger. He may be competent and great at his work and also a fast gunslinger, but nobody knows that and he knows nobody in the town either. So he is getting to know the people in town and has to win their trust and respect by his actions through the course of the story and will make friends, enemies, lovers and people that just will not care for him except for what he can do for them in the game.

Does this mean this game has to stay niche? Maybe, though I suspect there is a market for this game as there was for the old Bioware games and I suspect if any company would release those quality games now there would still be a serious market for them, though maybe not as big as for "Shoot them up 29597633", "Fifa 88" or another clone of a farm manager.

Due to the fact that unfortunately we are not used to games like Heavy 5 anymore on a site like this, it may take way longer though for the game to find it's players and may need to be further along in development for people to see the light, though some people will never like it and will prefer solar polishing for their sex. To each his ow tastes:p

Did I already said before I would not mind sharing a bit of breakfast with a certain lieutenant that is very cute when flustered? Stunning work.

*is all about temptation....* ;)
You are kidding right? Innocent you tempting and teasing poor people and making victims left and right, leaving broken hearts in your wake? who would have guessed? :p

On a more serious sidenote, I understand unnamed is a serious annoyance to you, but try to use as little of your thoughts and energy on him as you can. The only real way to beat him is to proof him wrong by finishing a great game in time. Probably he will still have something to whine about then. His original comment was fair enough that he was worried. The part after makes him a Troll though and you do not give attention to and by that feed trolls. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
You'll notice the oomph in realism compared to the old B&W shot?

I'll try to get a colour one from the game up later.
Yep, astounding!:) You really did amazing job on her. You turned her (arguably) weaker points into strong points, yet it's still her!

I'm truly sorry I doubted you. You're succeeding where others fail. As always.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
vneotpolemus DA22 Nottravis
First and foremost, thank you vneotpolemus for sharing your thoughts, it was really interesting :)

Regarding the "niche" side of the game, I can only agree that, while a few people here really like the game (like a lot. A whole lot), it still hasn't found the fame and popularity it deserves. Various factors might be the cause of that: early graphics not up to par? Too slow and no sex? People are afraid of change and want to see familiar guy-lost-his-father-and-back-from-college-shags-his-unsuspecting-sleeping-family?

All these reasons could be enough to see Heavy Five buried under the tons of other games here. All but for Notty's (and Notty's bitches') passion and dedication.

Thus, I think Nottravis (and us if we so want) could and should make use of appreciation threads to show other players the greatness that is Aku Heavy Five! Short-haired/Tomboy appreciation thread? Go post some Chris! Red-haired appreciation thread? Go post some Jolene or McGruder! Cutie appreciation thread? Go spam some Sarah! Etc.

We could even make a B&W artsy appreciation thread and post the new wonderful art that's been filling up this thread :)

Of course, this proposition is left to your own discretion and I wouldn't advocate being an obnoxious spammer, as this tends to be counter-productive :)

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
First and foremost, thank you vneotpolemus for sharing your thoughts, it was really interesting :)

Regarding the "niche" side of the game, I can only agree that, while a few people here really like the game (like a lot. A whole lot), it still hasn't found the fame and popularity it deserves. Various factors might be the cause of that: early graphics not up to par? Too slow and no sex? People are afraid of change and want to see familiar guy-lost-his-father-and-back-from-college-shags-his-unsuspecting-sleeping-family?

All these reasons could be enough to see Heavy Five buried under the tons of other games here. All but for Notty's (and Notty's bitches') passion and dedication.

Thus, I think Nottravis (and us if we so want) could and should make use of appreciation threads to show other players the greatness that is Aku Heavy Five! Short-haired/Tomboy appreciation thread? Go post some Chris! Red-haired appreciation thread? Go post some Jolene or McGruder! Cutie appreciation thread? Go spam some Sarah! Etc.

We could even make a B&W artsy appreciation thread and post the new wonderful art that's been filling up this thread :)

Of course, this proposition is left to your own discretion and I wouldn't advocate being an obnoxious spammer, as this tends to be counter-productive :)
Also wiser likely when the remaster of chapter 4 comes out. :p that is the right moment to try to generate extra interest I would think.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

I disagree with you partly. I don't think that's something Nottravis should do. She shouldn't come out as someone desperate for attention. As you say, it can be counter-productive. I find developers who spam their work around suspicious. ;) It's up to the fans to show appreciation if anything.

It's super silly to publically "appreciate" your own work, no?

Also no point spamming pictures BEFORE the remaster is done.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019

That, or we start a fan-art thread of our own. Such a thread could generate some renewed traction, from people wondering "If they even make fan-art of the game, then there must be something interesting in it!"

Though I must admit, I didn't try nailing the assets yet, and I'm pretty sure Notty used some sliders here and there. The new skin materials from the overhaul obviously make it even harder to figure out where everything came from. And the final problem, probably the greatest of them, would be the risk of other developers stealing Notty's characters.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I disagree with you partly. I don't think that's something Nottravis should do. She shouldn't come out as someone desperate for attention. As you say, it can be counter-productive. It's up to the fans to show appreciation if anything.

Also no point spamming pictures BEFORE the remaster is done.
Yeah, the point is not to appear desperate for attention, but simply to bring the game to the potential player's attention. As I said, I wouldn't recommend actually spamming other threads or being obnoxious, but arousing interest to people already likely to enjoy H5 considering their taste in these appreciation threads :)

Let's not forget indeed to wait for at least the remastered chapter 1 to be out as well :)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
That, or we start a fan-art thread of our own. Such a thread could generate some renewed traction, from people wondering "If they even make fan-art of the game, then there must be something interesting in it!"

Though I must admit, I didn't try nailing the assets yet, and I'm pretty sure Notty used some sliders here and there. The new skin materials from the overhaul obviously make it even harder to figure out where everything came from. And the final problem, probably the greatest of them, would be the risk of other developers stealing Notty's characters.
Yup, this could be a good idea as well, and I wouldn't worry too much about other devs stealing characters. If they're real devs (meaning they have a bit of dignity), they would never do that. If they're low enough to steal another dev's character, they'll soon be flagged as pieces of shit and the issues will resolve itself.

I'm not sure. I'd be glad more people checked out H5 but I don't know how I'd do it. I'm not very good at promoting. And I like what we got going on in this thread. It's positive, it's funny.

Kinda worried about the floodgates.
I find myself agreeing with you. I've always prefered a cosy place with few people against large fanbases (which is why I don't really go to discord). But the idea is to have more people playing and enjoying the game and becoming Notty's patrons. If these people were to come in this thread, I want to believe we'll have friendly conversations as we have now.

More popularity always meant more trolls and useless/stupid posters, but that's the price of success :/

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not sure. I'd be glad more people checked out H5 but I don't know how I'd do it. I'm not very good at promoting. And I like what we got going on in this thread. It's positive, it's funny.

Kinda worried about the floodgates.
Well I will likely do a post in the Wicked Choices thread and Love and Submission about the time chapter 4 remastered comes out. Both games should have players that could be interested in H5. Veq is still recovering anyway and I know pretty sure Jack will not mind an encouragement for this game, unless he is ofc releasing himself that same day.:p

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
I find myself agreeing with you. I've always prefered a cosy place with few people against large fanbases (which is why I don't really go to discord). But the idea is to have more people playing and enjoying the game and becoming Notty's patrons. If these people were to come in this thread, I want to believe we'll have friendly conversations as we have now.

More popularity always meant more trolls and useless/stupid posters, but that's the price of success :/
You're right, of course. Notty deserves more support. H5 is pretty unique in that it has a serious story that I do appreciate. Usually I don't go for those in "adult" games. I think if more people tried it they'd see there's a really interesting plot and want to see where it goes next.

I see all the time that people want slow burner games with good writing and H5 is exactly that. I like how much I care about the characters already before things got really deep. Double meaning intended.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

Well, that's one Heavy Five thread I would stay away from. DAZ fanart feels kinda wrong for me because of its replicative nature, involving the same assets and tools the original artist has. It kinda verges from the fanart territory over to the fakes territory.:)

And yeah, character theft is something I'd be wary about. It always disgusts me to see a game trying to cash in on the popularity of others.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes