Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I would go as far as saying that if this is the only issue with the remaster, then it's a success. I, for one, don't mind the white spot on Sarah's lips (no sexy innuendo intended).
One clarification. I don't consider new Sarah to be a failure. It's great really. But this is the one misplaced piece of the puzzle that prevented me from going all excited like you guys. Literally one white spot which stopped me from congratulating Notty on achieving something I was very skeptical about. (Which she still did, just one little thing away from perfection).

I can understand it's insignificant to you, but for me it's a jarring difference because I had been used to something for 9 months and now it's completely different and she didn't click as Sarah because of that. I think this is something that should be tweaked to be faithful to the original. It's not an improvement. (Btw. the lips themselves do look better than the original, Notty really did phenomenal job remastering Sarah.)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
The new Sarah looks a little more mature and serious... Must be the new makeup and the change in hair colour.
She's absolutely yummy, to be honest.
And it's a very good thing you kept her eyes... They're mesmerizing.
I'm in love! :love:
Can't wait to see her in a dress... A white one, preferably.

But it's the same hair. Just the lighting in the hanger has changed having switched from three point to all natural. Plus "old sarah" was an overlay. I didn't have the memory to have Sarah, Vanguard and the hanger. If memory serves it was three separate renders.
Allow me to illustrate my point further. This is my fav remastered render of classic Sarah.

Now, look closely at her lips. One thing they always did well was light reflection. If you zoom in to pixels, you'll see it's different shades of pink. Now, with the new Sarah there is a very bright white spot. Unappealing IMO. It throws me off, because that never happened with the OG Sarah.
The white spot is a reflection from the hanger lights.

Nope her lips never reflected light like that, no matter the light.
She had no natural lighting before.

I was under the impression that was just because of a reflection of the lighting applied in that picture, so i see no problem there.
Yep. Exactly that.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017

But it's the same hair. Just the lighting in the hanger has changed having switched from three point to all natural. Plus "old sarah" was an overlay. I didn't have the memory to have Sarah, Vanguard and the hanger. If memory serves it was three separate renders.

The white spot is a reflection from the hanger lights.

She had no natural lighting before.

Yep. Exactly that.
Welp, mystery solved I guess. I'll let the Scooby Gang know we don't need them anymore.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Notty, dear... it's 03:00 - have you slept at all?

Don't want to read the news about an indie game dev in the UK who went insane from lack of sleep and was arrested trying to steal all the Jaffa cakes from her local Tesco.
Well, that's slightly embarrassing - I checked the world clock and it was set to 12 hour instead of 24... oops. :rolleyes:

*is a Waitrose person so...phew, can't be me!*
The only UK chain I know by name is Tesco, so that's what I went with. Besides, you get tired enough you're just as likely to hold up the auto parts store looking for Jaffa Cakes and Silk Cuts. o_O

Sorry, I don't remember what coffee you mentioned in the credits, or I'd have added that too.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
December could be a group shot of the women all dressed (or not ;)) for Christmas! :)
Could just be a snowball fight or something ...'winter'
Oddly enough no. I kept the eyes from the old Summer model to try and keep her as the same as possible. It's probs the lighting, which can make a huge difference to how skin, eyes etc look.

But glad you like her :)

But begods you should see Trisha now reskinned and new lights. Jesus...
She looks amazing, don't want you to get sick over it though. Rather wait longer.
Seems new Sarah makes spaghetti even out of us men. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: new slogan for game: Have our Ensign for breakfast and forget all about your old rusted convictions and persuasions. :p
Reverse spaghetti already, but I'm calm and ready!
Well I would say Bear the space hamster would beat any royal hamster, also since he is Notty's hamster that would make him the royal(ly fucked) render hamster by definition.:p
He takes too much time off in his space adventures, you need a boring hamster who works hard and isn't all flighty!
Allow me to illustrate my point further. This is my fav remastered render of classic Sarah.
View attachment 415937
Now, look closely at her lips. One thing they always did well was light reflection. If you zoom in to pixels, you'll see it's different shades of pink. Now, with the new Sarah there is a very bright white spot. Unappealing IMO. It throws me off, because that never happened with the OG Sarah.
Not only is that a reflection due to the new lighting situation, anything shiny makes the render take longer, so turning that down makes it easier to make the picture, but it is far less realistic for some things, particularly something like lipstick. So, with the new card, she can go for a more realistic look here, and not have to use a 'matte' finish, as if she had used base and powder on her lips. :ROFLMAO:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
So, with the new card, she can go for a more realistic look here, and not have to use a 'matte' finish, as if she had used base and powder on her lips. :ROFLMAO:
Nothing unrealistic about matte. Changing to something more glossy doesn't make it more realistic or, and this is of course subjective, more appealing. What's more realistic, or natural if you will, is something in between. That's where Classic Sarah's lips had a perfect balance for me. Not too matte and not too glossy. Not saying they were all that great texture-wise, but overall I liked them. They were right after Annie's as far my prefs went. So, I think it's not too difficult to understand that if there is a shift towards more glossy I won't be all that thrilled, is it? Extremely glossy lips were the most unattractive feature about Trisha when we first met her.

That particular light reflection looks off to me due to its intensity. It would look better if it was less prevalent and distracting IMO (it was difficult to focus on Sarah's face and evaluate, if I should be in awe or if I should try to erase what Sarah looked like before from my memory, when my eyes were constantly drawn to that spot - it's like a laser pointer! :whistle:). That's is why I posted those comparisons. To see what you guys like more.

Oh well, at least I tried to do some feedback thingy? :)

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Nothing unrealistic about matte. Changing to something more glossy doesn't make it more realistic or, and this is of course subjective, more appealing. What's more realistic, or natural if you will, is something in between. That's where Classic Sarah's lips had a perfect balance for me. Not too matte and not too glossy. Not saying they were all that great texture-wise, but overall I liked them. They were right after Annie's as far my prefs went. So, I think it's not too difficult to understand that if there is a shift towards more glossy I won't be all that thrilled, is it? Extremely glossy lips were the most unattractive feature about Trisha when we first met her.

That particular light reflection looks off to me due to its intensity. It would look better if it was less prevalent and distracting IMO (it was difficult to focus on Sarah's face and evaluate, if I should be in awe or if I should try to erase what Sarah looked like before from my memory, when my eyes were constantly drawn to that spot - it's like a laser pointer! :whistle:). That's is why I posted those comparisons. To see what you guys like more.

Oh well, at least I tried to do some feedback thingy? :)
In this particular case, yes, more gloss does actually equal more realistic. Lipstick doesn't normally have a matte finish, they do make them now, but that is normally why it is called 'lip gloss', and add to that the fact that our lips are wet also makes them a little shiny too. IDK, to me looks much more natural and realistic with a bit of shine to it.

As to how strong it is, again I say 'lighting in daz is hard'. ;p
It's way better than anything I can do at this point anyway.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
and add to that the fact that our lips are wet also makes them a little shiny too. IDK, to me looks much more natural and realistic with a bit of shine to it.
Added some emphasis. Some kind of balance is the best. Personally, I prefer natural looking lips (which is why I don't own any lipsticks) :p

As to how strong it is, again I say 'lighting in daz is hard'. ;p
Not saying it isn't. :) It's the hardest thing. Still, if there is something I don't particularly like, I think the right way to go is to point out what it is and why. It could be useful. If not, no problem.

So, even though I rather failed in an attempt to make myself understood this time, it was worth a try. At least now I can rest easy knowing that Sarah is still Sarah.:love: And that should those reflections bother me too much, I can just edit them out for myself. :)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Added some emphasis. Some kind of balance is the best. Personally, I prefer natural looking lips (which is why I don't own any lipsticks) :p

Not saying it isn't. :) It's the hardest thing. Still, if there is something I don't particularly like, I think the right way to go is to point out what it is and why. It could be useful. If not, no problem.

So, even though I rather failed in an attempt to make myself understood this time, it was worth a try. At least now I can rest easy knowing that Sarah is still Sarah.:love: And that should those reflections bother me too much, I can just edit them out for myself. :)
She is in an area with fluorescent/LED lights, or maybe something brighter, and it could be the 'auto headlamp', which is usually a problem. I end up with that rectangle in the eyes of almost everyone I render if I use default lights. I don't know if she had turned that off or not. The default setting is 'off when other lights are present', but that won't make it go away completely from what I understand, and the dome lighting is also a factor if it's on.

Honestly, it kind of freaks me out a bit, but I have barely started messing with it so far, and there is a lot to it. I have been spending my time learning other things, like making sex toys in Blender... :sneaky:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But a lot of stuff in daz is harder than it should be, like getting that crystal on #3 to look good.

vneotpolemus

Sep 22, 2019
I've been musing a bit about this game and why it hasn't taken off like some others. It's got a compelling storyline, great writing, excellent world building, and strong characters. The visuals might not be cutting edge like CoBD, but even the first chapter holds up pretty well. So why don't more people love it?

And why don't I love it? :unsure:

Long, slightly rambling discussion on game design and my tastes in fiction follows. I'm dumping it in spoilers to avoid inflicting it on those who don't care.

Anyway, that's my amateur diagnosis. Quite possibly its all nonsense and I'm projecting my own preferences onto the general audience even though I've done my best to be objective. Also hope it doesn't come off as too critical, because I've got a lot of affection for H5 and I want to see it soar.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I've been musing a bit about this game and why it hasn't taken off like some others. It's got a compelling storyline, great writing, excellent world building, and strong characters. The visuals might not be cutting edge like CoBD, but even the first chapter holds up pretty well. So why don't more people love it?

And why don't I love it? :unsure:

Long, slightly rambling discussion on game design and my tastes in fiction follows. I'm dumping it in spoilers to avoid inflicting it on those who don't care.

Anyway, that's my amateur diagnosis. Quite possibly its all nonsense and I'm projecting my own preferences onto the general audience even though I've done my best to be objective. Also hope it doesn't come off as too critical, because I've got a lot of affection for H5 and I want to see it soar.
*smiles softly*

Not nonsense at all - and my thanks to you for taking the time to set out an obviously thoughtful set of remarks. Certainly I share your puzzlement over why it hasn't taken off or, and arguably even worse, not even really had people play it.

It is, however, difficult for me to give you a more in-depth answer that your post most certainly deserves as, to my mind, the game hasn't really started yet and although I have answers for some of your points, naturally I can't really respond to them due to the whole spoiler town thingy.

I think though you nailed it in one of your paragraphs. So far, One to Three really have been just for setting the stage - and this has meant a bit of a pacing sprawl. Partly due to the size and the complexity of the story, partly due to wanting to avoid info dump, partly due to wanting the large cast of characters to have room to breath and, sadly, partly due to hardware limitations (In an ideal world H5 would be about twice as big as planned and the current three chapters would be mashed together, a few bits knocked off and made into the opening chapter - but render time...always render time...)

The game does, as planned, get a gear change going forward and it was seeing the finished results of this that made me cast my eye over my shoulder at the earlier chapters. As you say, hence the remaster :)

But I dunno...mebbe H5 will always be niche? Perhaps the market prefers shower peeping or has an avoidance to female characters that have something more about them than just tits. A trundle around some of the other forum threads certainly suggests my work will always be niche for sure. But who knows.

Nonetheless, thank you. You obviously spent some time not only dwelling on this matter but also in setting your thoughts out on the page and I am grateful to you for considering my work worth the effort of your time to have done so so well.

Sorry for a lack of responses of late - been busy. I'd set aside some time this morning to deal with correspondence and posts but sadly nobrains is back and rambling on other threads about me which has taken some time to deal with.

I'll try again later today.

chrisps.png

Newskinned Chris....

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes