TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Well, that's one Heavy Five thread I would stay away from. DAZ fanart feels kinda wrong for me because of its replicative nature, involving the same assets and tools the original artist has. It kinda verges from the fanart territory over to the fakes territory.:)

And yeah, character theft is something I'd be wary about. It always disgusts me to see a game trying to cash in on the popularity of others.
I wouldn't go as far as say it's stealing but the "fake" thing I kinda feel. There's too little variation for it to not feel... wrong to see stuff that's out of character or stuff that... upsets me, I guess.

It's a very personal problem.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as say it's stealing but the "fake" thing I kinda feel. There's too little variation for it to not feel... wrong to see stuff that's out of character or stuff that... upsets me, I guess.

It's a very personal problem.
Yep, yep, exactly.

By theft I mean what constitutes an IP infringement. Devs taking someone else's characters and using them in their game without permission.

EllaKrael

Aug 9, 2017
Personally I think using Daz (or whatever 3d model/software) to make fanart of Daz characters borders on tracing, and I don't like it. I know fanart can be drawn in the same style as the original (I always prefer it when it reflects the artists own style though) but it shouldn't ever look like they traced it.

^personal opinion of a not very arty person, feel free to ignore

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Yep, yep, exactly.

By theft I mean what constitutes an IP infringement. Devs taking someone else's characters and using them in their game without permission.
Personally I think using Daz (or whatever 3d model/software) to make fanart of Daz characters borders on tracing, and I don't like it. I know fanart can be drawn in the same style as the original (I always prefer it when it reflects the artists own style though) but it shouldn't ever look like they traced it.

Good points.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

I agree, if you do fanart it should not be a reusing of the same exact assets, but more your take on the characters as an artist. Then it would be fanart, instead of a fancopy. :p

Edit: stealing or reusing assets will always be a thing though since there are only so many assets on the market and it is easier to copy well as create great work yourself. One of those sad but true facts, Where some of the devs blaming others of plagiarism, themselves also just bougth the standard asset and hardly tweaked it, but still call it their own. :p

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Yep, yep, exactly.

Well, while we're on this subject, I'd like to remind you that a lot of devs are mainly using a Daz model without doing so much as changing the skin or pushing a few sliders. I don't know what could be then considered as IP infringement :unsure:

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Well, while we're on this subject, I'd like to remind you that a lot of devs are mainly using a Daz model without doing so much as changing the skin or pushing a few sliders. I don't know what could be then considered as IP infringement :unsure:
Asset flipping get a bird flipping.

Well not that I'd know sometimes but I assume the models we see in lots of games are just basic starter shit. I don't know how much I mind but I know I don't like it.

EllaKrael

Aug 9, 2017

Well not that I'd know sometimes but I assume the models we see in lots of games are just basic starter shit. I don't know how much I mind but I know I don't like it.
I agree, if you do fanart it should not be a reusing of the same exact assets, but more your take on the characters as an artist. Then it would be fanart, instead of a fancopy. :p

Edit: stealing or reusing assets will always be a thing though since there are only so many assets on the market and it is easier to copy well as create great work yourself. One of those sad but true facts, Where some of the devs blaming others of plagiarism, themselves also just bougth the standard asset and hardly tweaked it, but still call it their own. :p
I do think it's much harder with 3D models/assets to decide the line between "homage" and "stealing", especially if everyone is starting with the same generic base.

Just to be pedantic I think "plagiarism" should be reserved for more than just art/model, it implies passing off another's work as your own - which would suggest they took the finished product rather than tried to recreate a piece of it; once again opinion as my stuff is sucky and/or nowhere near finished or ready to copy XD

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

And on that, we agree as well. Nothing kills a game faster to me than thinking: "eh, this is X from this other game. Meh." Sometimes, the hair does that, because even though there are a lot of hair assets, you always see more or less the same ones, but there are other ways to make an original character. Straight out of the box models are the way to NOT go, tho.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
A character is not just a model. If you take someone else's model and use the same name and other stuff, implying it is the same character, it is an IP infringement.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
I do think it's much harder with 3D models/assets to decide the line between "homage" and "stealing", especially if everyone is starting with the same generic base.

Just to be pedantic I think "plagiarism" should be reserved for more than just art/model, it implies passing off another's work as your own - which would suggest they took the finished product rather than tried to recreate a piece of it; once again opinion as my stuff is sucky and/or nowhere near finished or ready to copy XD
Yeah that's why I said I don't know how much I mind really. I don't expect a single person developing a game to be good at every aspect of game making. They may not have an artistic bone in their bodies. It's fine. I don't either. I can write, barely, but I can't do any visual stuff, drawing, 3D modeling...

They might be weak in other areas. Still, it's always a shame, especially in that reusing models from elsewhere is kind of friggin obvious. We're gonna notice. I guess it depends on the rest of the game if I'm gonna take offense or not as a player.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019

Many developers use "standard models", which aren't necessarily starter shit, but they're just sold as they are. Changing the shape of a face is too much hassle for many developers, and you have to go pretty deep to actually make a noticably different character which is still aesthetically pleasing. So, out-of-the-box it is for most. Still, it shouldn't be difficult for any developer to at least pick a different hairstyle/-colour, or alternative make-up. Some do, some don't. I think a good rule of thumb for developers would be, to at least divide the amount of figures they have by 3, round up the result, add 3, and make sure to have at least that many hair assets in their collection as well. A change of hairstyle really goes a long way into having a variety of characters.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Pink for Chris? Surely you jest.:p
Well, I started off going red, and then added a touch of pink and it made me laugh, so there you have it. :ROFLMAO:
Well, that's one Heavy Five thread I would stay away from. DAZ fanart feels kinda wrong for me because of its replicative nature, involving the same assets and tools the original artist has. It kinda verges from the fanart territory over to the fakes territory.:)

And yeah, character theft is something I'd be wary about. It always disgusts me to see a game trying to cash in on the popularity of others.
Fan art and what not is one thing, using reusing someone's model for your game is something else, though even that can be done well (I hope), when done in parody or homage. It all depends on how it is done. Personally, I love Easter Eggs, parodies, and homages, though I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, as it were.

That said, you can't complain about copying when you use stock models.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Fan art and what not is one thing, using reusing someone's model for your game is something else, though even that can be done well (I hope), when done in parody or homage. It all depends on how it is done. Personally, I love Easter Eggs, parodies, and homages, though I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, as it were.

Well, I'd say it all depends on the intent. The same act could be seen as an assholey aggression or a tongue-in-cheek homage depending on who does it, how and where.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Well, I'd say it all depends on the intent. The same act could be seen as an assholey aggression or a tongue-in-cheek homage depending on who does it, how and where.
Exactly, not to mention the respect the community has for the original dev plays a factor too. You also have the mood of the player and how they want to perceive it as well. You can't please everyone, some people just want to be offended.

Asking the dev is also a factor, having permission helps a lot. :p

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
reusing someone's model for your game is something else, though even that can be done well (I hope), when done in parody or homage. It all depends on how it is done. Personally, I love Easter Eggs, parodies, and homages, though I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, as it were.

Models yes, characters no.

For example, if you copy a model for parody purposes it's fine as long as the identity of the character is your own creation. In other words change the name or some other defining attribute. Y'know something that parodies often tend to do.

But if you suggest that character is the very same, then I don't approve, unless you have permission or, better yet, a collaboration of sorts with the original author. This particularly applies if said character actually plays a role and has lines within your story.

Personally, I wouldn't like any of my characters to appear as cameos in someone else's story, unless the dev approaches me about permission, approval of what happens with those characters, and writing lines for them if they have any. :)

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes