I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
That is the simple version to distract spies and journalists, the real one is way better hidden. yeah w knowquite a few people are playing a game and are trying to play puppet master. We will find out though in time what role Kelly plays in all of this or just burn the station down and fly away. :p
You should ask Thea for the full version, I'm sure she's had access to it at some point! Myself not being Thea only has access to this version! ;)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I'm not buying that, why is the station even still open?

True how could a research station on one of three habitable worlds humanity knows about with overpopulation on Earth ever be important? The real question is why is it not way more important?
It is such a shame that people like the PPF are thwarting colonisation plans isn't it?

But with no colony ships actually completed (thanks, Thea...) and only the three "I" class capable of inter system travel the fleet is very, very stretched. The loss of the Invincible was most unfortunate in making a bad situation even worse. I'm not suprised the MC has orders to consider closing the place. Last thing they need is to be keeping an eye on another planet when they have Phoebe to play with, no?

Maybe the MC should close it down. It does seem a sensible thing to do, no? It would take pressure off the mission for sure. Who cares if the plant is fixed if you're going to shut it down.

With a nuclear reactor...
I'm sure there is a perfectly sensible answer for that. *sage nods*

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Does rather change the dynamic a bit doesn't it? :)
I can see Marcus trying his best at being obsequious while trying to make sure we don't kill his two research projects, Trish multiplying her efforts at seduction for the same objective.

Amanda trying to reason with us about the importance of her studies with the native Ophions while Kelly will also do the same but in a more blunt way.

Mike will be more or less indifferent to the possibility of closing the outpost. :LOL:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
It is such a shame that people like the PPF are thwarting colonisation plans isn't it?

But with no colony ships actually completed (thanks, Thea...) and only the three "I" class capable of inter system travel the fleet is very, very stretched. The loss of the Invincible was most unfortunate in making a bad situation even worse. I'm not suprised the MC has orders to consider closing the place. Last thing they need is to be keeping an eye on another planet when they have Phoebe to play with, no?

Maybe the MC should close it down. It does seem a sensible thing to do, no? It would take pressure off the mission for sure. Who cares if the plant is fixed if you're going to shut it down.

Y'know sometimes I re-read my posts and I can just hear the sounds of grinding of teeth flowing across the internet.....

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017

What if Invincible was docked on another planet, that is kept secret from the public, so when the time arises, there could be a coup staged... nothing unifies the public opinion like a huuuuge space vessel piloted by "terrorists" with a cargo of armed aliens ( obviously dead) ...

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Whether or not anyone gets Annie, (double entendre was on purpose:p), the simple theory that you never ever put all your eggs in one basket unless you have no choice should make Ophion way more important as is even with those problems. I can understand Phoebe is the priority but setting up a small self sustaining colony on Ophion should be a goal at least in my opinion. Besides you can not tell me there are not hundreds of Xenobiologists on Earth that would give their left ball to be able to study new species on Ophion normally, even with Phoebe out there.

Last edited:

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Another possibility is that the AI developed self awareness, in that case it wouldn't be surprising if the Vanny had enough, she's the longest on duty. And if that was the case, it would be possible for the station to reroute power into other engines without Mike noticing anything... the code could simply load a backup version

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Whether or not anyone gets Annie, (double entendre was on purpose:p), the simple theory that you never ever put all your eggs in one basket unless you have no choice should make Ophion way more important as is even with those problems. I can understand Phoebe is the priority but setting up a small self sustaining colony on Ophion should be a goal at least in my opinion. Besides you can not tell me there are not hundreds of Xenobiologists on Earth that would give there left ball to be able to study new species on Ophion normally eveen with Phoebe out there.
Oh they'd love to be out there I'm sure. As would a whole host of biologists, geologists and indeed a whole pile of others. But it's a logistics problem really.

With the I class being exploration ships rather than large scale people movers, the amount of civilians they can shift at any one time will be quite limited and with only three ships available it's how best they can deploy their very limited resources.

As a rule of thumb the fleet currently has one in orbit around Phoebe, one back at Earth for repair, rest and refit and one in transit. You could deploy them differently of course. Have one make shuttle runs just to Ophion, one making runs just to Phoebe and keep one in repair. But that leaves gaps in support at each planet, reducing the only vessels that can support the ground team to occasional visits twice a year.... Risky. Given that Phoebe seems to be a better option all round, and pending the completion of the first colony vessel, perhaps it's not surprising they've decided what they've decided. Focus on just one for now given the low people numbers they can move and give it full support.

Of course once the colony vessels come on stream perhaps things will change.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Oh they'd love to be out there I'm sure. As would a whole host of biologists, geologists and indeed a whole pile of others. But it's a logistics problem really.

With the I class being exploration ships rather than large scale people movers, the amount of civilians they can shift at any one time will be quite limited and with only three ships available it's how best they can deploy their very limited resources.

As a rule of thumb the fleet currently has one in orbit around Phoebe, one back at Earth for repair, rest and refit and one in transit. You could deploy them differently of course. Have one make shuttle runs just to Ophion, one making runs just to Phoebe and keep one in repair. But that leaves gaps in support at each planet, reducing the only vessels that can support the ground team to occasional visits twice a year.... Risky. Given that Phoebe seems to be a better option all round, and pending the completion of the first colony vessel, perhaps it's not surprising they've decided what they've decided. Focus on just one for now given the low people numbers they can move and give it full support.

Of course once the colony vessels come on stream perhaps things will change.
Well that is quite a bit of background information, now just hope that the people that made those decisions did not make the wrong decisions based upon the wrong data.:p Edit: It also means that the missing 4th ship is missed a lot, since it would give more options to command, whoever that might be.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Well that is quite a bit of background information, now just hope that the people that made those decisions did not make the wrong decisions based upon the wrong data.:p
Oh I never said they made the -right- decision.... ;)

But it's not an unreasonable one really. I suspect also lurking at the back of their mind is just WTF happened to the Invincible. Losing a quarter of your fleet would make you very risk averse I suspect.

So I think like a lot of decisions that the NPC's may well make in H5 we may not agree with them (after all we don't agree with real people all the time every day now do we?) but none of their decisions will ever be without a logic chain. Or at least what seems to be a logic chain to them. Promise.

OOPs: Edit for the edit!

Edit: It also means that the missing 4th ship is missed a lot, since it would give more options to command, whoever that might be.
It's a logistical bitch losing the Invincible. I mean it was for me when I scratched out where all the ships would be so God help the poor buggers trying to manage the thing in game life!

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Oh I never said they made the -right- decision.... ;)

But it's not an unreasonable one really. I suspect also lurking at the back of their mind is just WTF happened to the Invincible. Losing a quarter of your fleet would make you very risk averse I suspect.

So I think like a lot of decisions that the NPC's may well make in H5 we may not agree with them (after all we don't agree with real people all the time every day now do we?) but none of their decisions will ever be without a logic chain. Or at least what seems to be a logic chain to them. Promise.

OOPs: Edit for the edit!

It's a logistical bitch losing the Invincible. I mean it was for me when I scratched out where all the ships would be so God help the poor buggers trying to manage the thing in game life!
True, that is why it is always dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket, sometimes you have no choice of course. though in that case you better be extremely sure off your choice. :p Also that would make it very unlikely that Invicible just decided to mutiny. With each of the 4 ships so important security would be very high one expects.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
True, that is why it is always dangerous to put all your ggs in one basket, sometimes you have no choice of course. though in that case you better be extremely sure off your choice. :p Also that would make it very unlikely that Invicible just decided to mutiny. With each of the 4 ships so important security would be very high one expects.
VERY high. There's a reason they have a marine detachment on board each vessel.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes