Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
I think almost everything I've blabbed today is already in game to some extent - although not as obvious as my statements here. Certainly, nothing in game contradicts it as this is all straight out the game bible.

Good questions for sure :).

Now if only you knew a geologist, a neurologist and a linguistics expert....
Actually... I do.
I'm just missing uhmmmm options? :rolleyes:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Notty, isn't Phoebe too good to be true ? If the LGM managed to reach a tribal stage with little resources as on Ophion, what are the chances of Phobe's civilization having the technology and numbers to stop any colonisation attemp ?
No civilisation on Phoebe thankfully as far as Command is concerned. They've been pootling around there for months with a ship in orbit scanning everything and anything and absolutely no sign of any civilisation at all.

That is it's other big advantage over Ophion of course. No intelligent native life.

Also a good question if the planet is that good and even Ophion can develop intelligent life, why isn't there one on Phoebe. Is it maybe not so perfect for intelligent life?
It's an interesting one isn't it. But "life", in it's broadest sense, doesn't need intelligent life to be successful. Allow me to hand over to Professor Lynne Isbell, professor of anthropology at the University of California.

"Evolution isn't a progression. It's about how well organisms fit into their current environments." While extreme adaptability lets humans manipulate very different environments to meet our needs, that ability isn't enough to put humans at the top of the evolutionary ladder.

Take, for instance, ants. "Ants are as or more successful than we are," Isbell said "There are so many more ants in the world than humans, and they're well-adapted to where they're living."

While ants haven't developed writing (though they did invent agriculture long before we existed), they're hugely successful as a life form. They just aren't obviously excellent at all of the things humans tend to care about, which happens to be the things humans excel at.

"We have this idea of the fittest being the strongest or the fastest, but all you really have to do to win the evolutionary game is survive and reproduce."

So life doesn't need civilisation or indeed even creatures that can attain those heights. "Life" doesn't really care.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
No civilisation on Phoebe thankfully as far as Command is concerned. They've been pootling around there for months with a ship in orbit scanning everything and anything and absolutely no sign of any civilisation at all.

That is it's other big advantage over Ophion of course. No intelligent native life.

It's an interesting one isn't it. But "life", in it's broadest sense, doesn't need intelligent life to be successful. Allow me to hand over to Professor Lynne Isbell, professor of anthropology at the University of California.

"Evolution isn't a progression. It's about how well organisms fit into their current environments." While extreme adaptability lets humans manipulate very different environments to meet our needs, that ability isn't enough to put humans at the top of the evolutionary ladder.

Take, for instance, ants. "Ants are as or more successful than we are," Isbell said "There are so many more ants in the world than humans, and they're well-adapted to where they're living."

While ants haven't developed writing (though they did invent agriculture long before we existed), they're hugely successful as a life form. They just aren't obviously excellent at all of the things humans tend to care about, which happens to be the things humans excel at.

"We have this idea of the fittest being the strongest or the fastest, but all you really have to do to win the evolutionary game is survive and reproduce."

So life doesn't need civilisation or indeed even creatures that can attain those heights. "Life" doesn't really care.
Yeah I know that theory, i also know there are a few that disagree and say that evolution would tend to create intelligent life forms. Those last can just be human egomaniacs of course. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Unless a planet would create a life form of course that would be extremely well adapted to prey upon intelligent life, then that intelligence would become an evolutionary weakness for example.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017

I hope the devs for a "Landlady and lodger" get these type of questions!

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah I know that theory, i also know there are a few that disagree and say that evolution would tend to create intelligent life forms. Those last can just be human egomaniacs of course. :ROFLMAO:
I think it's more about evolutionary niche and a dash of luck mebbe? Maybe given time Phoebe would have developed intelligent life. But tough! We got there first :)

Edit for the edit!
Edit: Unless a planet would create a life form of course that would be extremely well adapted to prey upon intelligent life, then that intelligence would become an evolutionary weakness for example.
Also quite possible. Certainly the scarcity of resources etc on Ophion does seem to have limited the LGM's. They don't even seem to be the top predator.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017

As far as command is concerned... doesn't sound good when the commander can't even get through a news broadcast without being accused of being Thea...
Interesting that you speak of ants since they live underground and have a queen... you're so sweet confirming my suspicions without spoiling anything....

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
As far as command is concerned... doesn't sound good when the commander can't even get through a news broadcast without being accused of being Thea...
Interesting that you speak of ants since they live underground and have a queen... you're so sweet confirming my suspicions without spoiling anything....
Or she is playing us like a fiddle. :p

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Oh he's just a Commander - not Command. Command is the rather generic term used for the fleet command and it was professor Isbell who mentioned ants. Not me. :)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017

DrIanMalcolm.gif

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I think it's more about evolutionary niche and a dash of luck mebbe? Maybe given time Phoebe would have developed intelligent life. But tough! We got there first :)
But what about letting life develop naturally instead of implementing humanity everywhere like a bad lichen on a dying rock? What do the scientists still on Earth think of this pregenocide? How does the Earth fare, by the way? Is it thriving thanks to newly developed technology? Did the prophecized natural cataclysmic disasters happen? Is there peace among the people and singing tomorrow?

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017

But wouldn't the most egomanic thing thinking that we are the only intelligent life form in the universe ? :unsure:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
But what about letting life develop naturally instead of implementing humanity everywhere like a bad lichen on a dying rock? What do the scientists still on Earth think of this pregenocide? How does the Earth fare, by the way? Is it thriving thanks to newly developed technology? Did the prophecized natural cataclysmic disasters happen? Is there peace among the people and singing tomorrow?
Well the fact all the rich wish to leave the sinking ship (at least if we may believe the PPF on one thing) likely not super good. :p

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I suspect Amanda knows the answer to that, she's getting updates from Earth.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes