Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
On an ideal world, there might not be enough incentive for life to develop or get out and colonize. With everything conveniently placed within reach, there is no reason to reach further, no reason to think about passing the next hurdle, because, why would you? It is precisely a lack of resources that causes life to adapt and get in motion.
To develop, life needs challenges, but not such big challenges that they are lethal to the entire species.

so, just maybe, Phoebe is too perfect to develop intelligent life, while Ophion is too lethal to really sustain it.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
On an ideal world, there might not be enough incentive for life to develop or get out and colonize. With everything conveniently placed within reach, there is no reason to reach further, no reason to think about passing the next hurdle, because, why would you? It is precisely a lack of resources that causes life to adapt and get in motion.
To develop, life needs challenges, but not such big challenges that they are lethal to the entire species.

so, just maybe, Phoebe is too perfect to develop intelligent life, while Ophion is too lethal to really sustain it.
I really think time is the biggest factor. It takes millions of years. What are the odds there would be developed intelligent life at the same time? I'd say Ophions are extremely lucky to be reasonably close in evolution to humans so they can count as primitive sentients. I think you are much more likely to find hundreds suitable planets before you actually find intelligent species.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Don't pout, I think you'd rather answer questions about life in the universe than the never-ending "incest patch?" ones :p
I hope they tested them all by probing uranus.... Another mass effect joke
recommend

I really think time is the biggest factor. It takes millions of years. What are the odds there would be developed intelligent life at the same time? I'd say Ophions are extremely lucky to be reasonably close in evolution to humans so they can count as primitive sentients. I think you are much more likely to find hundreds suitable planets before you actually find intelligent species.
There's one problem you are not considering.. war is often the reason technology makes leaps forward. However humans were stagnant due to cavalry being devastating for millennias. And for ages there was no need to invent new stuff. Just look how much things changed since the last century. From trench wars to software controlled missiles. Now imagine the natives on Phoebe, having to deal with natural predators and war mongers. Technology would move by huge leaps forward

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

It is true that life needs challenges, changes in the enviroment to trigger natural selection and evolution but they don't necessarily need to be a lack of resources.

Sure that happened when the depletion of nickel in the Earth's primitive oceans, which was necessary for methanogen organisms, helped give space to photosynthesizing cyanobacteria.

But they may also come from a surplus of nutrients, like how after the Great Oxigenation event life could evolve bigger and more complex forms as exemplified from the ediacaran fauna to the cambrian explosion.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
wow, 13 pages, I know I am running late, but damn...
Well, our state is considering not switching back to standard time - which means we'd be in PDT in summer and MST in winter. Besides, "Daylight Saving" is a crock. I once worked with a Hopi gentleman who put it this way:
"Only a white man would think cutting a foot off one end of a blanket and sewing it to the other would make a longer blanket."
We passed that one, not sure when it goes into effect, maybe this year with any luck...
Chris and Annie have known each other for several years (I don't want to spoil anything for you if I can help it, but the more you get to know them the more this is readily apparent - with some startling revelations...). So despite the difference in rank between them and that Chris is Annie's OC there is a mutual respect/affection between them.
And yet she got mad at us when we tried to get ...closer. :unsure: How rude... Is she all jelly?
All I will say is that all the characters are skilled in their field for sure. But being good at one thing does not, of course, mean you are good at things across the board.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
A Jack of all trades is a master of none (I should know)..

Well interesting you say that because....well, you'll see :)
I hope so! ...or do I?
IMO you should consider playing it then, even though it will look SO MUCH better when the remaster is finished.:) Chances are that, like most of us, you will replay the game many times anyway. The story doesn't change with the remaster.:)
It's not like you can experience it all in one go, you will need to replay it again soon anyway. The story might not change with the remaster, but it does with each playthrough...
Notty, I was wondering, will we be getting new fan signatures at some point with the jump in quality ?
I have a template set up for it, just need more clean head shots... maybe soon...
You should download the "old" version, though. Soon it'll be a collector!
Well I AM a collector... Which is why I have every version I can get my grubby little hands on... XD
*chuckles at the thought that they think there might be just one twist...* ;)
I doubt any of us thought that...
Nope. It should be older than Earth.
As the tectonic plates move thanks to convection currents in the mantle (making convergent/divergent/transform boundaries) more crust is being formed. As time passes, that leads to more continental cover across the planet and to oceans turning more deep as the water in the system stays mostly the same.

Also Earth passed through several "pangaea" cycles thanks to the tectonic plates movement.
That is exactly why it could be in one of those stages... XD
I can think of few
1) Kelly will be the one praying on MC
2) Kelly is Thea
3)Kelly will get it on with MC just to spite Chris
4)the hamster testpilot will be avenged
5)Kelly made a bet with someone on Iowa, not knowing who would be on the team, and that someone arranged MC's transfer
6)Kelly will get killed and order the MC to carry on the family name
7)Kelly never existed and she's just a split personality of the MC. Our lieutenant is actually in a mental asylum,and he tells Dr Becca what happened on Ophion
8) Kelly and Sarah will hit it on
Those are not twists, they are just obvious things... XD
Becca can't be Thea.
That could have been when Thea studied Becca and then hid her body!!! :eek:
Transfer to Illustrious?
Just don't go to the Invincible... I hear they have a poor track record...
You get both.... :)

Also don't forget that the story you get is largely down to you...
ME? What did I do? It's not my fault! I swear! ...What were we talking about again?
Indeedy.

No obligation to boff anyone if you don't want to.
So, you mean that when the brood mother of the LGM comes to rape us, we have the option to off ourselves? Good, good...
Creature-Broodmother.jpg
Also that. Plus Kelly is there to learn about traffic and movement control, no?
Was that it? I thought just pissed someone off and got transferred as punishment... ;p You have to spend time on that rock! ...with your perverted brother!
I admit it will be interesting seeing the people of the outpost walking in eggshells around the protagonist after they find out he can shut them down for good. :unsure:
The game has to revolve around the MC somehow? How else can we make it realistic? ;p Now the name of the game is Make MC Happy... XD
*wonders who else Amanda met that day tho...*
Oh! Oh! Was it ...Thea?!?!?! Or did Chris already hit on her before we got there?
But how do we know that Kelly isn't really a spy? She might just be acting about not expecting to see MC there? She might know everything about everyone...
You are saying she is a Fake Spy?!?!?!?! :eek:
Suspicious.
Very... wait, what was this about again? Too many pages!!!
I'm sure there is a perfectly sensible answer for that. *sage nods*
It's you, so I have to assume the reason is far more than just 'that is the only asset I could find, so fuck it'...
Amanda trying to reason with us about the importance of her studies with the native Ophions while Kelly will also do the same but in a more blunt way.
Yeah, she certainly looked like she was dressed to ...reason with us.
I certainly hope so! XD
I was going crazy looking for that damn cat on every pictures ! Felt like Where is Waldo ! But I finally found it :D
The question so many guys I know are asking ...'where's pussy?'
Lots of background information today. A lot of it we already knew (or should know), but it's definitely interesting seeing it all rehashed here, ordered differently.
Like:
So, Ophion is old. Possibly older than earth even. Then, why aren't those Ophions further developed? Or were they telepathically communicating with eachother?
Ophion 1: "I can't believe she wielded the hammer on us. Are they really that backward?"
Ophio 2: "LOL! Let's just play along, see how far she will go"

Or, maybe they aren't the most intelligent species of Ophion, and the primary intelligent species already left the planet?
And, if there's a more intelligent species somewhere, then maybe that weird sighting had some truth in it? Or maybe there's some link to the missing 4th ship?
It could be like Time Machine, where there were two species, one that lived above ground and were nice and peaceful, and the other lived underground and were violent and ugly, but then something happened and the ones on the surface died out...
What if Phoebe was a lie!?
View attachment 419688

Friday night social life kept me away from the thread while you brave gents have been having interesting conversations :(
It's not called cake! ...is it?
No civilisation on Phoebe thankfully as far as Command is concerned. They've been pootling around there for months with a ship in orbit scanning everything and anything and absolutely no sign of any civilisation at all.

That is it's other big advantage over Ophion of course. No intelligent native life.

It's an interesting one isn't it. But "life", in it's broadest sense, doesn't need intelligent life to be successful. Allow me to hand over to Professor Lynne Isbell, professor of anthropology at the University of California.

"Evolution isn't a progression. It's about how well organisms fit into their current environments." While extreme adaptability lets humans manipulate very different environments to meet our needs, that ability isn't enough to put humans at the top of the evolutionary ladder.

Take, for instance, ants. "Ants are as or more successful than we are," Isbell said "There are so many more ants in the world than humans, and they're well-adapted to where they're living."

While ants haven't developed writing (though they did invent agriculture long before we existed), they're hugely successful as a life form. They just aren't obviously excellent at all of the things humans tend to care about, which happens to be the things humans excel at.

"We have this idea of the fittest being the strongest or the fastest, but all you really have to do to win the evolutionary game is survive and reproduce."

So life doesn't need civilisation or indeed even creatures that can attain those heights. "Life" doesn't really care.
Ants are good, bur they are no match for the tardigrades!
Oh he's just a Commander - not Command. Command is the rather generic term used for the fleet command and it was professor Isbell who mentioned ants. Not me. :)

Me? Be perverted in VR?!?!?! Perish the thought! I only would do what Sarah asked of me, nothing ...bad! She wouldn't do anything perverted, would she? Not our Sarah? XD
Well the fact all the rich wish to leave the sinking ship (at least if we may believe the PPF on one thing) likely not super good. :p
They all deserve to be sexed up and fed to a hungry brood mother...
As always, the knowing brass would rather answer to our questions with questions on their own! Death to the ruling class! Come with me, children of the land, and let... I mean... Err...

I'm not Thea!
:unsure:
If I remember right, current thinking is that the creation of life is likely a pretty rare event that requires a lot of luck with right conditions. There are likely also only a limited amount of suitable planets, so there is no clue atm whether life exists outside of Earth. If it does it is likely common and also intelligent remember dolphins are not much less intelligent as we are. :p, If that rare is really very very rare the universe might be quite empty though.
It depends on what you consider 'rare'. We know that RNA can form naturally or unnaturally in many conditions, and we don't know all of them by far.
I hope they tested them all by probing uranus.... Another mass effect joke
No, scientists changed the name of that planet to end that joke once and for all! Now it's called Urectum! (Futurama joke).
Well that infinity is still in question as well:p
Could be, one hypothesis has an infinite number of infinities, so it's hard to say... XD
Simple, it won't happen. At least not in my game. Not going to screw up evolution. :p
To be fair, most of history includes a lot of it.
Nope, it's genetics.:) There is a good reason why animals generally don't inbreed unless they are in unfavorable circumstances.
Not really true, look at herd animals, where one male breeds with all of the females of the herd. Giraffes, for example, have almost all males having gay sex, because only the alpha get mate with the females.

tontoman

May 4, 2017
If there was intelligent life on every planet that can support it, 4X space strategy games would rather suck.:) Plus just look how long it took Earth to develop intelligent life. We've been here for a day, so to speak. Evolution is a bitch.
Well that also depends on how long it stays, assuming you're thinking of being able to find open available planets to colonize in those 4X games.
There's a good chance that while we've been here a day, we'll only be staying around for a day.... :)

In the old classic 'chance of finding intelligent life', the time a civilization is around also counts. Even ones that lasts 10,000 years, is nothing compared to cosmic time. So two civilizations have to be around and overlap in that time to discover one another (via something like radio transmission).

Drake Equation

One of the big modern changes, with better methods of planet detection, we've found way more planets than originally predicted (at one point thought would be rare) and more water than expected. So those chances are up.

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
I don't care about the chances that there's intelligent life out there, when we got plenty of stupid lifeforms on earth (all those 'save ?' askers) , although I'm a bit curious if there are alien dames willing to mingle...and hopefully not the Krogan type

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
I don't care about the chances that there's intelligent life out there, when we got plenty of stupid lifeforms on earth (all those 'save ?' askers) , although I'm a bit curious if there are alien dames willing to mingle...and hopefully not the Krogan type
I wouldn't worry too much, an infinite amount of planets means an infinite amount of species. So there'd probably be Vorcha dames too.

Oddball2k

Woof, woof, woof!
Donor
Jun 1, 2018
Wut, 15 pages more since my last reading!o_O:D
Well, our state is considering not switching back to standard time - which means we'd be in PDT in summer and MST in winter. Besides, "Daylight Saving" is a crock. I once worked with a Hopi gentleman who put it this way:
"Only a white man would think cutting a foot off one end of a blanket and sewing it to the other would make a longer blanket."
Right, Daylight Saving Time(summertime) is nonsense... Here in Europe, we will get rid of it in 2021 if everything goes as expected.
So for your state, it will be a special way to stay at the summertime between summer and winter... how strange is the bureaucratic way!;)
Still have a hard time with MST... in French, it means STD.:ROFLMAO:

Oops, a debate has occured right after... as my post was not silly enough!:giggle:
Nice decoy Notty and Akky!!:)

Three Patreon Updates!!! :love:

BRB! :p
I've gotten four?! (ok, i'm very late;))

Oh, another Chadwick Files!:D

Oh Oh, a Bonus Arty Things... exactly the way i want to see those, the Annie's portrait still shines even if it's none nude!!:love:

Wow wow wooowww, a preliminary hearing of A. Huang... Holy grog.., i have no more words!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Still 10 pages to read, BRB..

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
I command you on what is surely a gargantuan task of a walkthrough from what I've heard of the game so far Akky(y)
Edit : For anyone wondering about the name change, hiruma.yoichi was an old username I don't think I use anywhere else anymore so I decided to switch to the one I use most commonly :p

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes