Jerrian

Mar 29, 2020
Hmm, in my opinion voice acting is good, gameplay ok, H-content based of cgs in drawing qualitity and image design just medicore.
All in all disapointing for a no Future Game where you can expect more if you compare it to previous game titles, it ´s just CGs with some voice acting.
But it ´s a matter of taste and just my personal opinion, the sold copies tell ppl like this kind of games. My personal favourite no Future game is still Noble Rose.

MIC132

May 14, 2018
I skipped the tutorial explaination, but if you let your girls get captured, wait around for all the scenes to finish and then save them, they get this sweat status. Is there a way to cure that?
I saw something in the consumables shop that says it removes "Despair". Probably that. Can't remember which room of the mansion that shop is though.

Reactions: Maskmaker

nivak.mal

Jul 25, 2017
i played the trial of this so was a bit disappointed about the capture mechanic. Does the final game add anything to it like can you permanently lose heroines or did they just stick to the capture just making it so you had to take a detour before you could continue onto the game

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
i played the trial of this so was a bit disappointed about the capture mechanic. Does the final game add anything to it like can you permanently lose heroines or did they just stick to the capture just making it so you had to take a detour before you could continue onto the game
I imagine it's just a side thing, because they'd have to make alternate story sequences for things if you could just go forth with a single magical girl in everything.

Nov 12, 2020
I imagine it's just a side thing, because they'd have to make alternate story sequences for things if you could just go forth with a single magical girl in everything.
Of course, doing something like that would take actual effort, and why do that when you can just throw together a bunch of premade RPG Maker plugins and call it a day.

NetWanderer98

Jun 1, 2021
My God the grind in the later half xD
And despite that somehow the final boss still beat me 2 times, have to actually be careful with all the heal and buff to win it xD

Well, given its nature as a crossover game with multiple guest artists, really would not expect much more from this game. Gameplay is passable, and H-content is good enough.

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
Of course, doing something like that would take actual effort, and why do that when you can just throw together a bunch of premade RPG Maker plugins and call it a day.
Oh yes, because the effort involved in trying to manage a story with over 10 characters that all have their own bits to do.
Unless you like, Chrono Cross'd it where everyone just has a generic line pool to draw out from, you would have a nightmarish amount of writing to do.
And writing that probably wouldn't make the story flow good either. There's just too many characters that could be variables for it to work, realistically. If only like, there was a single character that could be lost (so you retain one protagonist), that'd be different.
Being able to, in theory, lose 9 characters and somehow still have the story be coherent and sensible?

MIC132

May 14, 2018
gonna try their previous works before playing this, are all of them already in this site?
All of them, yeah. Though imo the latest one before this (the student council one) is terrible.
The previous 2 are good (Charlotte and Sailor Splendor, both have official translations by now I think) and the oldest one, Noble Rose has a fan translation but I remember it being markedly worse, though still better than the council.
Sadly all other characters are from novel works.

Reactions: p23rklo
Nov 12, 2020
All of them, yeah. Though imo the latest one before this (the student council one) is terrible.
The previous 2 are good (Charlotte and Sailor Splendor, both have official translations by now I think) and the oldest one, Noble Rose has a fan translation but I remember it being markedly worse, though still better than the council.
Sadly all other characters are from novel works.
I personally think this is by far the worst one of the bunch, they actively made the gameplay worse, to the point that this game is basically just a CG-on-loss game.

Reactions: manatos9955
Nov 12, 2020
Oh yes, because the effort involved in trying to manage a story with over 10 characters that all have their own bits to do.
Unless you like, Chrono Cross'd it where everyone just has a generic line pool to draw out from, you would have a nightmarish amount of writing to do.
And writing that probably wouldn't make the story flow good either. There's just too many characters that could be variables for it to work, realistically. If only like, there was a single character that could be lost (so you retain one protagonist), that'd be different.
Being able to, in theory, lose 9 characters and somehow still have the story be coherent and sensible?
It's not like it's a novel concept in the world of games, many many games have had characters that can die before, not just Chrono Cross. But that wasn't even what I was really referring to being the low effort part of the game, just one of the lesser examples, this game has removed gameplay elements that its predecessors had. It's sad, because this studio clearly have very talented artists and writers, but "programmers" that seem to want to make the absolute bare minimum effort.

MIC132

May 14, 2018
I personally think this is by far the worst one of the bunch, they actively made the gameplay worse, to the point that this game is basically just a CG-on-loss game.
I would agree if not for their previous one. The student council one was just terrible imo. This one at least has a bigger selection of rather good scenes. But other than that, yes, it has good CGs but has no soul and kinda just isn't a No Future game like I'm used to. I *really* liked Charlotte..

Reactions: p23rklo

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
It's not like it's a novel concept in the world of games, many many games have had characters that can die before, not just Chrono Cross. But that wasn't even what I was really referring to being the low effort part of the game, just one of the lesser examples, this game has removed gameplay elements that its predecessors had. It's sad, because this studio clearly have very talented artists and writers, but "programmers" that seem to want to make the absolute bare minimum effort.
Oh yeah, many games do have characters that can die. Just normally, you know, those deaths are part of the plot and not the result of a game mechanic.
Trying to let the magical girls be permenantly captured for the rest of the story would be like trying to let Mass Effect 2 still have a story and plot that fits, if you just let everyone but Shepard die as soon as they get recruited. Then still go on the suicide mission at the end by yourself, despite it not narratively making sense anymore by then.

nivak.mal

Jul 25, 2017
Oh yeah, many games do have characters that can die. Just normally, you know, those deaths are part of the plot and not the result of a game mechanic.
Trying to let the magical girls be permenantly captured for the rest of the story would be like trying to let Mass Effect 2 still have a story and plot that fits, if you just let everyone but Shepard die as soon as they get recruited. Then still go on the suicide mission at the end by yourself, despite it not narratively making sense anymore by then.
mass effect has failsafes to ensure you can't get everyone killed until the final mission so you have a crew. sheperd can even die in the end of mass effect 2 and it'll still lead to an ending and game clear. This game could've done something similar where a few characters are necessary for the plot until they aren't. there's actually another game being developed right now by another circle kuronekogun that's going to play the way we wish this would though admittedly it's only 4 heroines. We've also got games like Leane 2 where everyone besides the MC is disposable

Nov 12, 2020
I'm not saying you have to allow them all to die, but with a little effort on the developers' behalf I feel like you could find a way to make the mechanic meaningful in any way whatsoever, like I dunno, if you don't rescue the girl during the dungeon you have to go on a mission to get her back. That's just right off the top of my head, I'm sure there's much better ways to integrate it, but I'm just saying they could've done something, anything more than what they did.

nivak.mal

Jul 25, 2017
I'm not saying you have to allow them all to die, but with a little effort on the developers' behalf I feel like you could find a way to make the mechanic meaningful in any way whatsoever, like I dunno, if you don't rescue the girl during the dungeon you have to go on a mission to get her back. That's just right off the top of my head, I'm sure there's much better ways to integrate it, but I'm just saying they could've done something, anything more than what they did.
not the person you're replying to but definitely agree, They marketed it as if you don't rescue them they get captured. Then it turns out its just a cg detour if a heroine gets knocked down. They could've designated one or two girls as essential and have the rest get permanently lost if you failed or refuse to rescue them. But i guess that's kind of the problem when they try to give equal billing to a game with 8 heroines

Iexist

Jul 20, 2018
mass effect has failsafes to ensure you can't get everyone killed until the final mission so you have a crew. sheperd can even die in the end of mass effect 2 and it'll still lead to an ending and game clear. This game could've done something similar where a few characters are necessary for the plot until they aren't. there's actually another game being developed right now by another circle kuronekogun that's going to play the way we wish this would though admittedly it's only 4 heroines. We've also got games like Leane 2 where everyone besides the MC is disposable
While what you're describing can absolutely be done, it's pretty clear that you're failing to understand what that means in terms of game development...

The fact of the matter is that every single choice of any kind that has meaningful impact on a game's direction and story automatically means writing a second branch of the story that takes this into account. Depending on the impact and complexity of the story, this can easily mean needing to wrote two separate stories entirely to account for the divergence, especially if we're talking about the presence of a character who's active in the plot. If you want things to make any kind of sense, you have to account for both how the other characters react to the loss, and how the enemy reacts to the win, etc.

The more characters and branches you get, the more writing you have to do, to the point where instead of a single story thread, you end up with a complex web of writing that's easy to trip up on.

But it gets worse. Story writing is much like drawing a singular image. How often do you see an image made by different artists at the same time? Not that often do you? Why. Because different art-styles clash, and the same happens with different writing styles. It's theoretically easier for different writers to work together, but not by that much, and the end result is that you still absolutely need a lead writer that organizes everything together and smooths out any tonal shifts and whatnot that show up.

Can it be done? Yes, but it adds a TON of time to things unless you want the story to implode in plot-holes. That's leaving aside the fact that the easiest solution to this conundrum is to just make characters less meaningful, which in turn makes their loss less important.

Mass Effect... and pretty much every Bioware RPG and plenty of other RPGs, pull this off by centering the story around a main character. At the end of the day, the story is all about Shepard in the Main Game, and all the real choices belong to Shepard. It's not just a matter of losing characters, it's also a matter of recruiting them in the first place. Even then, the fact of the matter is that the impact of each character is relatively minor if you look at it closely, outside of the ending events... Yet even with this bit of simplification, the amount of work they had to put in every bit of dialog is absolutely enormous to take into account all of the absurd variations that the game offers you.

TL;DR:

It ain't that simple, captain, and you should try something like that yourself for a bit, even as a mental exercise, before complaining so much.

Quite frankly, I very much doubt that No Future can afford the extra long development time it'd take to write in the level of complexity you're suggesting... and that's not even mentioning the nightmares involved in balancing and dealing with the end result on the gameplay level...

nivak.mal

Jul 25, 2017
While what you're describing can absolutely be done, it's pretty clear that you're failing to understand what that means in terms of game development...

The fact of the matter is that every single choice of any kind that has meaningful impact on a game's direction and story automatically means writing a second branch of the story that takes this into account. Depending on the impact and complexity of the story, this can easily mean needing to wrote two separate stories entirely to account for the divergence, especially if we're talking about the presence of a character who's active in the plot. If you want things to make any kind of sense, you have to account for both how the other characters react to the loss, and how the enemy reacts to the win, etc.

The more characters and branches you get, the more writing you have to do, to the point where instead of a single story thread, you end up with a complex web of writing that's easy to trip up on.

But it gets worse. Story writing is much like drawing a singular image. How often do you see an image made by different artists at the same time? Not that often do you? Why. Because different art-styles clash, and the same happens with different writing styles. It's theoretically easier for different writers to work together, but not by that much, and the end result is that you still absolutely need a lead writer that organizes everything together and smooths out any tonal shifts and whatnot that show up.

Can it be done? Yes, but it adds a TON of time to things unless you want the story to implode in plot-holes. That's leaving aside the fact that the easiest solution to this conundrum is to just make characters less meaningful, which in turn makes their loss less important.

Mass Effect... and pretty much every Bioware RPG and plenty of other RPGs, pull this off by centering the story around a main character. At the end of the day, the story is all about Shepard in the Main Game, and all the real choices belong to Shepard. It's not just a matter of losing characters, it's also a matter of recruiting them in the first place. Even then, the fact of the matter is that the impact of each character is relatively minor if you look at it closely, outside of the ending events... Yet even with this bit of simplification, the amount of work they had to put in every bit of dialog is absolutely enormous to take into account all of the absurd variations that the game offers you.

TL;DR:

It ain't that simple, captain, and you should try something like that yourself for a bit, even as a mental exercise, before complaining so much.

Quite frankly, I very much doubt that No Future can afford the extra long development time it'd take to write in the level of complexity you're suggesting... and that's not even mentioning the nightmares involved in balancing and dealing with the end result on the gameplay level...
I don't think you're fit for discourse given how you think people saying they wish x had happen equates to you screeching about people "complaining so much".
Also the fact that you think this needs triple A levels of complexity to implement when other doujin games have already done so says alot more about you then the actual game. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
A game with only 4 heroines isn't comparable to this one having like, 10. Sure, they could've not had as many heroines, and possibly done a branching story depending on how many of the magical girls you didn't let get captured forever.
But that's not the story they wanted to write. And honestly, I can't fault them. The amount of branching that could result with a playable cast this large is pretty massive - especially with how many chapters the game has.

If it was a like, 2 or 3 stage game, you could maybe pull it off. It'd still be a nightmare to write, I'd imagine, but in the realm of possibility.

Writing aside, it would also make game balance an absolute nightmare. The game is probably balanced around you having 5 active characters and up to 5 reserves later on. You'd have to create entirely new everything if someone decided to only keep like, Noble Rose (since she seems the closest to the main character overall).

3.50 star(s) 11 Votes