Kinch310

Dec 17, 2021
Part of what you said is true and I've repeated it multiple times on Patreon posts and announcements. I have put myself with very high expectations, and now, the quality that the game actually has requires WAY more working time than before.

And I've been extremely clear with that in every single Patreon post.
You won't see any weird Patreon posts making random excuses, that's what I've always said and I will always say; The quality the game has right now requires time.

And I do not plan on lowering the quality of the game.
And I hope some people will understand soon, in a week or so.

Sounds good, man. It looks like you've got your head screwed on straighter than I did when I was going through something similar in my life. I kept thinking I was going to make up time somewhere. My ability to rationalize was incredible. I kept dismissing little tree after little tree and then blinked one day, and I was in the middle of the GD forest. Ugh. It was horrible. The burnout I developed from the whole process wholly upended my career, and I'm just now (3 years later) getting back on track. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The way I look at it, the brain is so subtle and powerful with its ability to say "everything is fine" that sometimes we lose control over a situation long before we think we do. That said? Hitting bottom was the best thing that ever happened to me by far. Because it was exactly what I needed to happen to recognize my need for help. I have the type of support system I used to think was completely unnecessary. And my whole day is centered around my health and happiness. If that means that I scale back my plans a little bit, so be it. But I also try to hold myself accountable. That balance is impossible for me to achieve on my own. That's why my support system (including a fucking spiritual adviser btw--don't knock it till you try it) is so incredibly important for me. I went from being this nihilist guy defined entirely by his ambition to being a laid back family-focused man with a spiritual adviser I consult daily. Bout to call him up, actually, lol.

Be well, homie. Never be afraid to ask for help finding that balance. (To be 100% clear, the recovery from alcoholism was a big part of my story--but it only exacerbated problems already there.)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Komisari

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
And I do not plan on lowering the quality of the game.
Do you use any project management/planning software? I feel like future releases could stand to be better managed in a more strict manner. Obviously I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it's very clear that there's this "perfect is the enemy of good" kind of mismanagement going on where deadlines keep sliding. Might be worth looking into giving yourself hard deadlines and just having things get pushed to the next release cycle

Reactions: bberrens

ZAJL

Dec 15, 2018
Anyone know where I can find guides and resources in order to learn how to make a game in this style?
The game appears to use Illusion's Koikatsu for all the models and rendering. He's probably using the studio tool. If you look around you should be able to find a repack of Koikatsu and more googling should give you a crash course on how to use the studio

ZAJL

Dec 15, 2018
So this game is slated for an update early next year? I really like it and was disappointed when it first got the abandoned tag. The only reason I'm still keeping an eye on it is because the dev actually posts.

Happy coding!

Jan 15, 2022
The game appears to use Illusion's Koikatsu for all the models and rendering. He's probably using the studio tool. If you look around you should be able to find a repack of Koikatsu and more googling should give you a crash course on how to use the studio
Thanks, so learning how to use the studio tool and Ren'Py would be a good place to start? Of course, this is the most well-made Koikatsu game I've seen and is certainly a goal to strive towards.

ZAJL

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks, so learning how to use the studio tool and Ren'Py would be a good place to start? Of course, this is the most well-made Koikatsu game I've seen and is certainly a goal to strive towards.
that sounds like a good game plan. Do your self a favor though, don't go big for your first game. make something small that you think you could finish, maybe in less than a year of infrequent work. I know too many guys who went off to make a huge game and the scope itself was the reason it fell through.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
that sounds like a good game plan. Do your self a favor though, don't go big for your first game. make something small that you think you could finish, maybe in less than a year of infrequent work. I know too many guys who went off to make a huge game and the scope itself was the reason it fell through.
Seconding this. Don't go for a first game that you would publish (if it turns out well enough, you still can). A simple story, one character, two or three decisions. See how good you are at positioning, writing, coding, what you like and (inevitably) what you hate about the process. Then you have a first feel of how to approach a "real" project.

Also do not underestimate the length a project takes with you "always" needing to do something (holidays may be okay) before asking people for money. Many projects die because enthusiasm dies - we all did something in out life for a year and it was the best hobby ever, only for it to fade into obscurity somehow.

Jan 15, 2022
Thank you for the advice. I've definitely heard about starting small, which is the plan. It's all a bit overwhelming, though.

Jan 15, 2022
Seconding this. Don't go for a first game that you would publish (if it turns out well enough, you still can). A simple story, one character, two or three decisions. See how good you are at positioning, writing, coding, what you like and (inevitably) what you hate about the process. Then you have a first feel of how to approach a "real" project.

Also do not underestimate the length a project takes with you "always" needing to do something (holidays may be okay) before asking people for money. Many projects die because enthusiasm dies - we all did something in out life for a year and it was the best hobby ever, only for it to fade into obscurity somehow.
I'll use that structure, and I appreciate the advice. I'm going to start with Ren'Py instead of everything all at once.

solli

Apr 23, 2020
I check in once every few months. I see that there will now be a holiday update. Woah... Every time I think things can't get any worse, they do. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I hope things work out. But at some point, patience and generosity morph into enabling. I have a strong suspicion--which, to be clear, is based entirely on my own experience and not any secret information--that you all are one very long update post away from finding out that the dev has become crushed beneath the weight of the expectations he's set for himself. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that he has been unable to make meaningful progress in a year plus. D.E.N.I.A.L. Don't Even kNow I Am Lying. If that's happening, I feel sorry for everyone involved. I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah got banned on his discord for pointing this out.

shaolao

Jul 1, 2018
Here we are again, with another delay without any ETA or whatever, just a pointless "holyday special" with no plot, no canon, spoilers maybe?

I played this game looong time ago and I check every now and then to see what's going on and every single time there is only smoke and words. I do hope to see the next chapter but at the same time I won't be surprised to see more delays till the end of time.

Finger crossed for the future and happy new year to all? :D

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Is the Christmas/New Year Special also delayed or am I missing something?
As far as I can see there is no ETA for release given, so it cannot be delayed yet. However, Komi said he wanted to resume working on chapter 1 on Jan 1st, which should mean "special complete" so a couple hours to go, he's still on 30th of December as I write ;) But again, I cannot find a specific date for the release.

4.40 star(s) 207 Votes