DuDraig

Oct 6, 2017
The game is still in early access.
The whole point of posting comments is to present issues that will hopefully help to improve the future releases of the game.
They are still adding a lot of stuff to it, but some of the stuff you are complaining about is just because you missed stuff. There are most certainly hints for most of the stuff you are saying. There's a whole line with Ashley explaining why she hates the color red, and Derek is your go-to for most other hints.
There is a vast difference between plot hand-holding and leaving your player with no clue. In my play through, Derek does not provide you with any information on how to make up with Ashley until after you pick the red flower. There was never any comment from anyone about Ashley and the color red. There is no indication or hint at all that you need a flower in a situation where a flower as a make-up gift for parading her around naked would be considered by anyone as an appropriate gift. The only way for the player to look for, find, and get the flower is to be told you need to in a walkthrough, and that immediately stops this from being a game. This is just one example of many instances like this in this game. The idea is to bring them to light so that they can be fixed.
Also, there used to be a tutorial, but they removed it recently, probably because it was pretty redundant when you can just press F1, but it did involve the microwave. They probably just didn't get around to changing the inspection text in the main story yet. Like I said, the game is still in development.
If no one brings up that the tutorial microwave description has been missed then it will not get fixed.
This is also a point and click adventure game. There shouldn't be a hint for every single thing. Part of the game is walking around and trying to click on and inspect things and trying to figure out how things go together. I personally don't like too much hand-holding in games. That's what walk-throughs are for, and it's not like this game doesn't have tons of them floating around.
The biggest complaint about point-and-click games has always been poor plot design leaving the player with no clue what they need to do. Plot discovery is a legitimate game process but being forced to randomly try thousands of object/character/action combinations to find the one you need since you have to clue what it might be and it doesn't make any legitimate sense is just poor game design.
If you play through Ashley's quest, you'd see that you *need* to be able to open both doors individually. They wouldn't have been able to implement the "voyeur" effect if both doors just swung wide open, and I think that is a very unique and great part of the game.
There is a vast difference between interesting UI interfaces and animations and wasting the player's time. To go through the closet doors in this game, you need four clicks, two menus, and two animations when a single-click would perfectly suffice. Since you do not choose whether that closet door should remain ajar or not (it always closes ajar), it can easily remain ajar when both doors close at once. The focus should be on playing the game and not constantly waiting to get through the interface.
Also, Ashley's quest has several branching paths, so you don't always need to give her the flower based on your previous actions. It doesn't lock you out of any content, it's just a different path.
When you are told you need to perform a chain of tasks that then can not be completed because of an option chosen before that chain, that is not a "different path"; it is a plot track state bug. When you chose that option, you should never be told to perform a task chain that can not now be completed unless it leads to a different plot track and doesn't simply come to an unexplained and illogical stop. Again, if this is not pointed out to the developer then they will not know to fix it.
Aside from that, you do make some fair points, and the game does have some bugs and could do with some better fleshing out of certain story paths, admittedly. I would chalk that up to the game being unfinished, but saying this game is "unplayable" is a gross over-exaggeration. This game is so much fun, even if the state it's in. If you scroll back a few pages somebody posted something that the devs were taking some time right now to polish before they started adding more new content again because they just added a ton of new content.
You unfairly characterize my comments as "complaints". The whole point of forum feedback during in-development releases is to point out those issues that need attention and to present alternatives to the developer to consider in future releases. I certainly appreciate different opinions about how plot tracks might be handled, the level of tediousness in the UI, or the level of quality in implementation; but I will never accept telling anyone not to post comments about an in-development release simple because it is an in-development release when the entire purpose of this forum is to post such comments to help improve future in-development releases.

Morpheas

Oct 28, 2017
This is because I do not review in-development releases. I only review finished releases or the developer. The purpose of posted comments on an in-development release is to bring attention to the current pros and cons so that they might be addressed in future releases. It would be grossly unfair to permanently log a review of a game about issues that will hopefully be dealt with in future releases.
You do know that you can edit your review in order to update it, right??
You can change the rating and everything, even delete your whole review and post another one.
This forum gives you all the tools and options you need.

but that this can not be called a game if you have no recourse but to use a walkthrough or console cheats to get through it. The idea is to improve the plot tracks so that the game may be played without the requirement to cheat.
You dont need to use a walkthrough or console, technically all can be accomplished without those things.
Realistically though, most people would get stuck somewhere, and would need to either ask for help here or use a walkthrough for help.
This game isnt meant to be easy, in the sense that you accomplish everything without effort. If you were basically handed the answer, whats the point of having to do stuff in order to complete quests? It would just be a boring hassle.

Some things could have a little more indication however, to that I agree.
For example, I found out about the use of the flower by accident! Vickie had told me that I need to do something Ashley would appreciate, and since I had no real options (that I could see), I was like: "well, maybe I can give her something. I got a flower, maybe that will work?"
Surprisingly, it sort of worked. Ashley told me she hates that color though, so I had to change the flower's color.

BUT it is not a random guess as to what color the flower needs to be, btw. (That part is fine)
You are not given a whole palette of colors to choose from.
You actually get only 1 color dye: Blue Hair Color Dye.
So the answer becomes, DUH - I need to use my only color dye to change the color of the flower.
This is purely intuitive, and yes you dont know for sure until you try it, but thats the kind of game that this is: You need to figure stuff out by yourself.

So, you saying the game needs to be played without the requirement to cheat is just disingenuous, since you dont need to cheat anyway. That is not a requirement.

and situations where the player has no idea what to do outside of random wandering
Sure, some parts can be improved, no doubt.
That is what I meant when I said the story is flawed. The story as in the Original Story. Not the plot, the Original Story as is defined by the game. The game uses Stories that are written by people, and those stories include much more than just plot. Items, behaviour of NPCs, Clothing, hints, etc are all determined by the Story files.
I think we are in agreement here, you just misunderstood my previous comment.

have always been confused with these idiotic complaints about the load time and graphic card load of Unity games. It's a real-time 3D rendering engine that is configured by default to use as much of your GPU power as possible. Every other commercial real time 3D rendering game takes a long time to load so why the complaints about Unity games? You expect to configure the graphics settings of commercial games down if you do not have a top end graphics card, so why is anyone confused about doing the same thing with a Unity game? True, developers can take steps to better streamline the loading process to improve game load times, but that is something you do for a finished release and not the current in-development releases.
Well, if you've played several other real-time 3D games, you'd know that most of them have shorter loading times than House Party. Even those that have long loading times, once you actually load the game from the main menu and you get in game, if you simply load a save file to go back to some other point, the game will load faster than the initial load it does from the main menu.
House Party simply has unusually long loading times (even after the initial load), and this is frustrating because it is a kind of game where Save/Load is very important since you are bound to make mistakes, piss off NPCs, select the wrong dialogue option, go down a path you didnt want to, etc etc.

Now, I realize that this isnt a AAA game, and I am comparing it to AAA titles, so the game (and its devs) is actually excused.
This doesnt eliminate my frustration at times however. But I do understand that this isnt a freakin Ubisoft game, dont worry.

The GPU load is also unreasonably high, and this screams poor optimization. I am not particularly bothered by that however, since the "fix" is ridiculously simple and easy. I just turn off Realistic Shadows, and all is well. The graphics quality loss isnt even that significant in my humble opinion (feel free to disagree).
So with that option alone turned off, GPU-load is at more than acceptable levels, allowing me to get a good framerate.
The addition of a GPU-limiter is also pretty handy, especially for those that dont use V-sync.

Btw, "use as much of your GPU power as possible" isnt something thats good if at the highest degree. You should already know, that every real-time rendering game has to compromise between using a good amount of graphics resources and graphics quality.
In other words, (for ex.) a game could have 16392x16392 shadow resolution, but that would "KILL" most if not all gaming rigs. Plus, the actual quality benefit would be negligible.
But as for taking advantage of the resources that are available, then yes graphics engines should be able to take advantage of every resource, to provide maximum performance.
There's a difference between "use as much of your GPU power as possible" and "put unnecessary load that most single GPUs cant handle resulting in low frame rates" however.
I hope you understand what I mean. A gamer with a GTX 960 couldnt hope to run this game at max details. My GTX 970 cant handle that, how would the 960?
Basically, you need something like a GTX 1070 or better, to run it at max details.

THAT is the complaint. The complaint isnt that the game uses as much of the GPU as it can. Its that an excessively powerful GPU is required in order to run the game at max graphics details.

However, I am not gonna be the one who will complain about this, since the game offers tuning of key graphics details that make a difference and allows me to run it at perfectly acceptable frame rates.
This is simply something the devs can work on, to improve overall experience of the users.

You expect to configure the graphics settings of commercial games down if you do not have a top end graphics card
You dont need to have a top end graphics card for most commercial games. You dont even need to have the latest gen of graphics cards. My GTX 970 is usually enough, for 1080p, with my setup. I have neither a high refresh rate monitor nor do I try the most demanding games out there. Most games are actually easier to render than House Party at max details.

At the end of the day, most of this talk is just pointless. You have your opinion and preferences and I have mine.
I know people that are absolutely disgraced if they cant run a game at max details, ~120FPS stable, and using any high resolution packs and mods that are available, and in some cases they even demand Supersampling AA, and use of DSR for upscaling, etc.
The thing is, that some stuff is just entirely subjective.

This is why I told you to submit a review, because this is mostly a matter of subjective opinion.

Last edited:

ssmatt

Nov 26, 2017
The whole point of posting comments is to present issues that will hopefully help to improve the future releases of the game.

There is a vast difference between plot hand-holding and leaving your player with no clue. In my play through, Derek does not provide you with any information on how to make up with Ashley until after you pick the red flower. There was never any comment from anyone about Ashley and the color red. There is no indication or hint at all that you need a flower in a situation where a flower as a make-up gift for parading her around naked would be considered by anyone as an appropriate gift. The only way for the player to look for, find, and get the flower is to be told you need to in a walkthrough, and that immediately stops this from being a game. This is just one example of many instances like this in this game. The idea is to bring them to light so that they can be fixed.

If no one brings up that the tutorial microwave description has been missed then it will not get fixed.

The biggest complaint about point-and-click games has always been poor plot design leaving the player with no clue what they need to do. Plot discovery is a legitimate game process but being forced to randomly try thousands of object/character/action combinations to find the one you need since you have to clue what it might be and it doesn't make any legitimate sense is just poor game design.

There is a vast difference between interesting UI interfaces and animations and wasting the player's time. To go through the closet doors in this game, you need four clicks, two menus, and two animations when a single-click would perfectly suffice. Since you do not choose whether that closet door should remain ajar or not (it always closes ajar), it can easily remain ajar when both doors close at once. The focus should be on playing the game and not constantly waiting to get through the interface.

When you are told you need to perform a chain of tasks that then can not be completed because of an option chosen before that chain, that is not a "different path"; it is a plot track state bug. When you chose that option, you should never be told to perform a task chain that can not now be completed unless it leads to a different plot track and doesn't simply come to an unexplained and illogical stop. Again, if this is not pointed out to the developer then they will not know to fix it.

You unfairly characterize my comments as "complaints". The whole point of forum feedback during in-development releases is to point out those issues that need attention and to present alternatives to the developer to consider in future releases. I certainly appreciate different opinions about how plot tracks might be handled, the level of tediousness in the UI, or the level of quality in implementation; but I will never accept telling anyone not to post comments about an in-development release simple because it is an in-development release when the entire purpose of this forum is to post such comments to help improve future in-development releases.
I still disagree with most of these points for reasons I've already explained, and I feel they are pretty subjective and nit-picky in terms of the game that YOU want to play verses what this game is trying to be. The reason your post sounded like a complaint is because you said the game was "unplayable", again, a gross over-exaggeration of the game's current state, so it's hard to take that seriously. I honestly don't use walkthroughs very much for this game, and I find most of the game easy to figure out on my own. Could they enhance on a *few* scenarios? Sure, but that doesn't make the game unplayable, nor does having to click 4 times to open a door. I feel like the positives of this game far outweigh the nit-picky stuff you are talking about. I agree, you should definitely call them out and let the dev know if you feel these elements should be improved upon. However, I feel it's overly dramatic to call the game "unplayable".

Reactions: ricketychicken

Morpheas

Oct 28, 2017
The one thing I used walkthrough for was finding those Nitty Lites...
Strange, that was actually the easiest part for me.

The hardest part was how to knock out Frank. I had to use a walkthrough for that.
But when I finally got him knocked out, it was oh so satisfying!

CyberSnake89

Apr 23, 2018
Have they changed how you use the Intimacy command on the console?
Been trying to mess around a bit but everytime I input the usual command like "Intimacy madison player 10000 sexualact" it start but the positions are all messed up.

And the help command doesn't, well, help maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Morpheas

Oct 28, 2017
Have they changed how you use the Intimacy command on the console?
Been trying to mess around a bit but everytime I input the usual command like "Intimacy madison player 10000 sexualact" it start but the positions are all messed up.

And the help command doesn't, well, help maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Man, I dont know how many more times I can explain this.
Its like people cant read.
Read this please:

So for you it would be >Intimacy player Madison 10000 sexualact

CyberSnake89

Apr 23, 2018
Man, I dont know how many more times I can explain this.
Its like people cant read.
Read this please:

So for you it would be >Intimacy player Madison 10000 sexualact
Oh sorry, I used search option from google but it didn't come up so I didn't bother checking.

I thought it might have been that but wasn't sure, thanks.

Reactions: Morpheas

Morpheas

Oct 28, 2017
Oh sorry, I used search option from google but it didn't come up so I didn't bother checking.

I thought it might have been that but wasn't sure, thanks.
No problem, I wish I could pin these somewhere so people can find the answer immediately without searching.

[EDIT] Here's a list of a common set of console commands as well as brief explanations of what they do. They are mostly meant as examples, and can be copy/pasted and used by simply changing names for the NPC you want or the Player:

Code:
walkto amy missionarysexspot == Get any girl lying on bed

clothing amy 0-4 off == Remove clothes, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4  ('all' instead of number removes all clothes)

pose (name) (#) (true/false)  == Poses 0-30

warpto player Frank = teleport player to Frank
warpto Ashley player = teleport Ashley to player

intimacy player Amy 10030 sexualact  == Initiate sex with any girl,
#  10000 = BJ , 10030 = Missionary , 10050 = Doggy , 10051 = Masturbate ,
10052 = Cowgirl , 10053 = Face grind , 10054 = 69, 10011 = Hot tub handjob, 10060 = End
- 10060 needs only 1 character (or player) specified, with 2 it doesnt work

bodypart amy chest/butt/etc 1.5 = increase size of specified body part

Reactions: portsSouthWest
Dec 10, 2017
Is anyone else having issues where the camera is not taking any pictures or has this already been mentioned? I'm stuck were you have to take a picture of Katherine but its not taking a picture or gives me the option to take a picture.

Jazzy8D

Nov 22, 2017
can i ask something and can someone help me ^^ the game works but it says that i have no story content in it help cant play the game.. do i need to download the story ?

mgear

Dec 30, 2016
Does anyone else get a weird-ass ?

It reminds me of when you're using a very cold LCD screen.

This is the only program that does it for me so I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. I've tried turning on and off each individual setting to see if that fixes it but it doesn't.

jarb01

May 18, 2017
can i ask something and can someone help me ^^ the game works but it says that i have no story content in it help cant play the game.. do i need to download the story ?
this is a very common problem.

the game should download the most recent version of the official story content automatically when you boot it up. if it doesn't, your firewall is probably blocking the game from accessing the internet. there's usually a MOD file you can download that has the latest story versions, but the one available on the OP right now is for for an older version of the game. i'd upload the 0.9.3 MOD file myself, but i'm lazy and selfish.

for now, go through the settings on your computer and any anti-virus software you might have and make sure the game is allowed to access the intenet.

jarb01

May 18, 2017
Does anyone else get a weird-ass ?

It reminds me of when you're using a very cold LCD screen.

This is the only program that does it for me so I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. I've tried turning on and off each individual setting to see if that fixes it but it doesn't.
same here. no clue what's happening either, so i just tried to ignore it. seems to appear most often on the floor and walls of the house, and mostly comes from something in motion.

jarb01

May 18, 2017
anyone find the new story content for 9.3?
there's been nothing new story-wise since 0.9.0. every version since then has mostly just been trying to get the new stuff working properly.

anyway, all of the new story content has to do with ashley. there are three new "paths" with her that i don't think you can combine. here's a list on how to find them:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

jarb01

May 18, 2017
the changelog says npcs can have sex with each other now. What quest is that?
the new one where you help ashley get revenge on madison. it's probably the longest quest in the game right now, and there aren't any good walkthroughs that i know of. i don't remember exactly how to complete it, but i can give you some hints:
  1. you need ashley to trust you a little bit before you give her madison's diary.
  2. you need vickie to be at the party.
  3. you don't need to untie ashley's top to get vickie to come to the party.
if you don't care about the quest and just want to watch two npcs fuck you can always just use the console.

3.60 star(s) 64 Votes