Mod QSP Jack-o-Nine-Tails Developer Versions and Mods

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I haven't experienced that. It does sound like something is triggering an infinite loop, but offhand I can't think of why that would be occurring. If you give me your json and pngs I can add them to my local build and see if I run into the same problem.

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
Just wondering, why is the media content for audio in uncompressed WAV files? Surely, if we encoded it, the loss in quality would be minimal, or we could use lossless compression codecs. Is it a limitation of the QSP engine?

The music and sound effects are good in Jack-ONT, but I don't see why it's 820MB for 1hr21mins. This harkens back to before the 2000s when CDs were the main audio format, and it was about 650MB for around an hour of music.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Just wondering, why is the media content for audio in uncompressed WAV files? Surely, if we encoded it, the loss in quality would be minimal, or we could use lossless compression codecs. Is it a limitation of the QSP engine?

The music and sound effects are good in Jack-ONT, but I don't see why it's 820MB for 1hr21mins. This harkens back to before the 2000s when CDs were the main audio format, and it was about 650MB for around an hour of music.
Yeah... in September the whole audio folder was in FLAC and it was cool and all but some computer couldn't play the game's music. It wasn't a question of codec or anything, it was just (seemingly) random.

I was sad about having to go to wav but it's still better to have a 820MB sound folder than the light folder of mp3 128kbps in JONT 1.7.5. In the end, I think the increase from FLAC to WAV was only 20% in size, which we largely made up for by doing lossless compression of all the images (y)

Reactions: dookie85

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
Yeah... in September the whole audio folder was in FLAC and it was cool and all but some computer couldn't play the game's music. It wasn't a question of codec or anything, it was just (seemingly) random.
Audiophiles like FLAC because it's lossless and has been around a while. However, some systems have trouble with native playback for whatever reason, and it isn't great for file size reduction. I assume you have backups of the audio in various formats, so is it not prudent to distribute the media encoded with a lossy codec like mp3 for better compression? Also, mp3 playback is nearly always compatible.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Audiophiles like FLAC because it's lossless and has been around a while. However, some systems have trouble with native playback for whatever reason, and it isn't great for file size reduction. I assume you have backups of the audio in various formats, so is it not prudent to distribute the media encoded with a lossy codec like mp3 for better compression? Also, mp3 playback is nearly always compatible.
It's not our will to go back to lossy anything. Neither sounds nor pictures. People can still distribute modded versions of the game with 320kbps mp3 and put these in the wiki, but I won't do it specifically because, on principle, I don't like to start doing any downgrades, especially since we've on parallel reduced the game size by 50% since 1.8 (by removing censored and badly compressed animations mostly)

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
It's not our will to go back to lossy anything. Neither sounds nor pictures. People can still distribute modded versions of the game with 320kbps mp3 and put these in the wiki, but I won't do it specifically because, on principle, I don't like to start doing any downgrades.
Thanks for your response and the great work on the game.

I understand your principle, but I have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion, there is no discernible difference between good compressed sound files and raw cd-quality digital audio. This is especially pointless because (some or most) of the sounds were originally in mp3 at some point and then encoded to FLAC before being converted to WAV. So for those particular files, there is literally no difference in quality and just take up more space for no reason.

Although I disagree, if you don't want to change it, I understand your reasons. In any case, I've been testing the alpha 2.2 version and have some noob questions:

I assume the reason I can't go into any of the citadel towers is because my reputation is too low. So, I understand that selling is the way to increase rep, but it's kind of confusing -- selling to both the shops and residences within a district increases rep, but by how much?
1) Do you get more rep for higher ranked slaves sold? with the faction, guild or brand status?

The buyers at the residences turned down my offer, saying something about her being "unpresentable" which I read was a failed charm check. The wiki has the formula for 'charm', but I have no clue what the value of those variables are...
2) Is there a way the check the charm of characters in-game? Is there any indication of a buyer's level of charm requirement?

After I tried to raise the exotic rating and improved her style, I still had no idea what her 'charm' value would be, nor did I know the threshold the buyer wanted. Upon returning to the buyer, I apparently got a dead end bit of dialog.
3) Why can't we try to sell again after making improvements?

I thought training and improving was the whole point, haha :D There's a lot of interlocking ranking systems and stats. The game tells me that I need A, B, and C; but it's not telling me that I also need X, Y, and Z. I love this game, but it's pretty opaque and convoluted.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Thanks for your response and the great work on the game.

I understand your principle, but I have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion, there is no discernible difference between good compressed sound files and raw cd-quality digital audio. This is especially pointless because (some or most) of the sounds were originally in mp3 at some point and then encoded to FLAC before being converted to WAV. So for those particular files, there is literally no difference in quality and just take up more space for no reason.

Although I disagree, if you don't want to change it, I understand your reasons. In any case, I've been testing the alpha 2.2 version and have some noob questions:

I assume the reason I can't go into any of the citadel towers is because my reputation is too low. So, I understand that selling is the way to increase rep, but it's kind of confusing -- selling to both the shops and residences within a district increases rep, but by how much?
1) Do you get more rep for higher ranked slaves sold? with the faction, guild or brand status?

The buyers at the residences turned down my offer, saying something about her being "unpresentable" which I read was a failed charm check. The wiki has the formula for 'charm', but I have no clue what the value of those variables are...
2) Is there a way the check the charm of characters in-game? Is there any indication of a buyer's level of charm requirement?

After I tried to raise the exotic rating and improved her style, I still had no idea what her 'charm' value would be, nor did I know the threshold the buyer wanted. Upon returning to the buyer, I apparently got a dead end bit of dialog.

I thought training and improving was the whole point, haha :D There's a lot of interlocking ranking systems and stats. The game tells me that I need A, B, and C; but it's not telling me that I also need X, Y, and Z. I love this game, but it's pretty opaque and convoluted.
I will respond to the music part: no, the songs weren't in mp3 and then converted. I took lossless sources myself, there's only 2 or 3 exceptions.

The sfx were indeed in mp3 (exceptions of the new ones that were taken in WAV)... But we're counting on a modder to eventually remake the lossy sound effects with more professional sounding ones.

Edit: we also went back from when files had several extensions depending on the folder. So we are not going to have some files in .mp3 and some in .wav. Besides, the original mp3 sfx still needed some edition to be normalized to -24 LUFS. If I had exported them to .mp3 again, this would have fucked them. And to add it all, I passed several blind tests, I could make the difference between mp3 320kbps and flac each time without mistakes, even with mediocre speakers.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
In any case, I've been testing the alpha 2.2 version and have some noob questions:

You need to sell progressively higher ranked slaves to faction members to raise your reputation with their faction. Within the Guild, it's possible to reach the maximum reputation level without ever completing a contract above C- rating, but it will take considerably longer. Your brand status similarly can reach the maximum even by selling lower-ranked slaves, as sales to some repeat customers that have comparatively low requirements still count towards your brand status. But it will take longer. As you should intuitively expect, and as stated in the help text for the respective reputation characteristics, "the quality of slaves you train speaks for your reputation."

Have you ever looked at the Anatomy tab of your slave?

If they decide they don't like the slave, they don't like the slave. However, if you wait a while before trying again, they might be open to reconsidering.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
2.2 alpha has been updated.

- Winning arena battles now pays significantly less, balancing the fact that you can field multiple contestants each decade.
- Winning races now pays sparks too, providing another way to supplement your income. It is still possible to live on income from arena + races (+ barn optional) without regularly selling slaves, but now there's more incentive to do the occasional guild contract, Fog hunt, or side project.
- Rape effects have been tweaked slightly (less nature/temperament drain, less taming boost).
- A broken slave can no longer raise temperament or pride; nature must be raised to B+ first. It didn't make sense for a broken slave who doesn't care about anything to be prideful or have strong desires.
- Capped nature and sensitivity boosts in a couple of rewards: hot springs won't make a slave Determined +; Garden of Gethsemane won't make a slave Independent + or Caring + (the Golden Cage top-tier reward is still uncapped for both)
- Fixed some more issues with moods and psychological states; slaves will exhibit more variation in attitudes now (please let me know if you still see any combination of mood and psychological state that seems incongruous).
- Repeated dates or erotic rewards of the same type in the same day will increase devotion by a diminishing amount, reducing the exploitability of those reward categories to raise devotion excessively fast, particularly when combined with the Bull Ring.
- Top-tier erotic rewards sometimes have text indicating that the slave is not in a mental state to view them as a reward, so there is no point continuing. Now, in those few cases, the interaction actually does stop immediately after that text, so you don't have "no point continuing" followed by "the slave orgasms" for example.
- Fixed some long-standing typos in the slave market auction bidding texts.
- Chariot race outcomes are now deterministic across save/reload; you'll have to try alternative strategies to pass difficult tracks, not just save-scum until the random roll falls in your favor. I successfully won a few races with a less-than-optimal pony, so I don't anticipate any issues, but please let me know if you find anything unexpected.
- Improved help text for boudoir sleeping rule and nature attribute.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I just updated again to fix a cosmetic issue introduced yesterday with the "how are you feeling?" interaction that caused some of the lines to be blank.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
The Garden of Gethsemane now lowers the slave's arousal by a full level so you can actually see the effect.

The cow/prisoner impregnation interaction now has slightly better effectiveness so you can do it less frequently and still maintain optimal lactation output. The lactation formula itself remains the same.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Fixed a blank screen caused by incorrect syntax in one of the response texts for a spoiled slave, which was extremely rare before my recent mood/psyche improvements but now is more easily encountered.

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
The links in the first post of this thread don't seem to point to the newest v2.2 alpha. I have to enter the git URL manually or use the main game thread's links. Perhaps Lokplart or someone could update links in this thread since it is focused on the development branch.

Download:
2.2 Alpha — ( , , Media Patch {removed temporarily})
2.2 Alpha (no-loli edition) — ( , )

I'm not familiar enough with v2.1 to recognize the more subtle differences. The 'roadmap' is a decent log, but it is more like patch notes. It might be helpful to testers reviewing each line, but it's very difficult to digest for someone who hasn't played in a while. There isn't an immediate need, but eventually we ought to summarize the gameplay changes more concisely.

For example, changes were made to the merit system, and I saw something odd: it looked as if guilt was stacked ontop of merit. She had a few merit, then it displayed guilt without direct action that affects it. After punishment, the merits were gone sometimes but occasionally they'd remain? I don't recall enough about v2.1 to know if this was abnormal, so I didn't think to reproduce what happened and take notes. I apologize for being a bad tester, but I couldn't be bothered to lookup that last post about merit at the time. :D

Thank you all for your work on the game, but I doubt I'll find anything unless it's gamebreakingly obvious.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
We now allow merit and guilt to coexist. In previous versions they were mutually exclusive. Punishment usually does not remove merit, but if the slave feels merit first and then feels guilty, the merit decreases proportionally: some or possibly all of the merit may be cancelled out.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
The links in the first post of this thread don't seem to point to the newest v2.2 alpha. I have to enter the git URL manually or use the main game thread's links. Perhaps Lokplart or someone could update links in this thread since it is focused on the development branch.

Download:
2.2 Alpha — ( , , Media Patch {removed temporarily})
2.2 Alpha (no-loli edition) — ( , )

I'm not familiar enough with v2.1 to recognize the more subtle differences. The 'roadmap' is a decent log, but it is more like patch notes. It might be helpful to testers reviewing each line, but it's very difficult to digest for someone who hasn't played in a while. There isn't an immediate need, but eventually we ought to summarize the gameplay changes more concisely.

For example, changes were made to the merit system, and I saw something odd: it looked as if guilt was stacked ontop of merit. She had a few merit, then it displayed guilt without direct action that affects it. After punishment, the merits were gone sometimes but occasionally they'd remain? I don't recall enough about v2.1 to know if this was abnormal, so I didn't think to reproduce what happened and take notes. I apologize for being a bad tester, but I couldn't be bothered to lookup that last post about merit at the time. :D

Thank you all for your work on the game, but I doubt I'll find anything unless it's gamebreakingly obvious.
The links in the first thread are always up to date. Even if it doesn't say so (the date of last update is just indicative, but the link never needs to change, it updates itself).

You are right about roadmap being insufficient unlike patch notes... Especially since I stopped updating it a month ago.

But we'd be wasting time with patchnotes, the alpha is not meant to be updated for its features, it's meant to allow a playthrough to check for unseen bugs (which are often found by doing actions unrelated to the change). The alpha version is not meant to stay long, if it could be removed in favor of a stable version as soon as now, I'd be happy...

Don't worry about being so thorough to be able to differenciate bugs from features ^^ just activate auto-save, and if anything looks odd, tell us and post your last save :)

dookie85

Nov 18, 2020
The links in the first thread are always up to date. Even if it doesn't say so (the date of last update is just indicative, but the link never needs to change, it updates itself).
Thanks for your response and advice. I'll keep that in mind. :)

The issue with the links on the OP of this thread "...developer versions and mods" is this:
  • Beta — ( , , )
  • Beta (no-loli edition) — ( , )
The Beta links are to the "master" branch of the repo, whereas it appears your latest development version is named "master-ia" or "master-patch-ia". The same is true of the media (i.e. "ia-media-patch" etc.) Now that I'm looking at it, I'm assuming the "-ia" affix means ImperatorAugustusTertius did the edits/changes, and the dev branch will be merged with the "master" soon.

What confused me is in the Main thread under "v2.2 Alpha" subsection, the links are to those newer "-ia-" repositories branches instead of the master branch. That's why I pasted those links in my last post, to show that they are different from the ones in this thread.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Thanks for your response and advice. I'll keep that in mind. :)

The issue with the links on the OP of this thread "...developer versions and mods" is this:
  • Beta — ( , , )
  • Beta (no-loli edition) — ( , )
The Beta links are to the "master" branch of the repo, whereas it appears your latest development version is named "master-ia" or "master-patch-ia". The same is true of the media (i.e. "ia-media-patch" etc.) Now that I'm looking at it, I'm assuming the "-ia" affix means ImperatorAugustusTertius did the edits/changes, and the dev branch will be merged with the "master" soon.

What confused me is in the Main thread under "v2.2 Alpha" subsection, the links are to those newer "-ia-" repositories branches instead of the master branch. That's why I pasted those links in my last post, to show that they are different from the ones in this thread.
Ah, yes! The beta version is certainly outdated. The alpha of the main post are up to date.

Lokplart would have to change it but I don't feel like calling him just to do that, especially since the beta is the master branch and we went on the Alpha branch temporarily (lol, in theory).

The future of the "master" branch will depend on what we do for 2.3. If we do anything about it now, it's almost as if we'd be planning not to release 2.2 anytime soon, but we definitely are (we just currently are slaves of contingencies: bugs).

Reactions: Asia Argento

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I have something to add to the sound discussion. I am on linux and run the game using wine and I have no sound. I assumed that it was an issue with wine I was unable to sort out but it might be related?
I have no idea.

Some bugs:
The alarm rule with low blowjob skill results in guilt the next morning, no prompt as to why is given.
You can give neoplasty to a slave with S+ beauty.
Impalement has no text or image.
Sometimes slaves for sale or have been conquered in battle that have the virgin trait are not actually virgins.
When a slave in the prison is unconscious her picture disappears.
In combat special techniques are not available for the weapon in the right hand.
In combat it's possible for the turn to end with both participants having negative hearts, this results in the slaver winning. - (not sure if bug)
Alarm rule - click the “follows the rules” text on the slave’s rules tab.

Neoplasty and impalement and virgin trait, thanks for report, will check.

No full body image when unconscious is intentional. The full body images appear awake and conscious.

Dual wielding only allows you to use special techniques for the primary weapon. Intentional, and stated in the help text when selecting weapons.

Ending battle with a tie counts as the slaver’s win. Has been that way forever. It does seem a bit odd to win with negative hearts, I agree. It’s not quite a Pyrrhic victory... you emerge from combat injured, exhausted or demoralized, but you won and those conditions are treatable or temporary.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
2.2 alpha is updated, fixing neoplasty (added a check for natural beauty level so a slave with temporarily degraded beauty doesn't qualify), impalement (syntax error) and virgin trait (I only saw an issue with this for Fog battles; you also saw this problem at the market?)