qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
also, not sure if this is a bug or not cause I've just gotten used to it but Isabella's portrait remains as her slave appearance regardless of what appearance you have picked for her.
Not a bug, that's just how it worked since the beginning and we haven't found it particularly necessary to change it.

The player can expect the portrait not to change despite the appearance change, same as how slave's portrait doesn't change when you give her a headband.

It is actually a good idea to keep the portrait not changing, so the player can settle on: "oh okay, this is an illustration, it is not meant to reflect the actual state of my slave's look". Because if ever we start to improve that by for exemple showing the slave's brand or display the equipped clothes on the full body with a neat global photoshop edit... it will condition the player to expect changes, and will feel weird when the slave will grow fat as fuck and still look like she is 42kg.

Kind of an uncanny valley. So counter-intuitively, doing less will give a better feeling of immersion.

(By the way the different "appearances" of Isabella have no reason to exist. It works for the pink haired loli princess because it's the same girl no matter the appearance, same for Julia. But for Isabella and Felicity it's just different girl models, so heh', it's bothering me)

StillSlyMarbo

Nov 7, 2018
By the way the different "appearances" of Isabella have no reason to exist
I feel like there may have been intentions to commission art/find a set of matching artworks for Isabella originally since all the pics have at least the same brown hair/blue eye combo. That being said, at this point you're totally right that their's really no point in Isabella having appearances.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I feel like there may have been intentions to commission art/find a set of matching artworks for Isabella originally since all the pics have at least the same brown hair/blue eye combo.
In 1.7.5, no, the pictures didn't meet that combo. But I indeed made the appearance "match" when making 2.0. If that sucessfully maintained your suspension of disbelief, then it's at least a success. (y)

That being said, at this point you're totally right that their's really no point in Isabella having appearances.
Exactly, but I first tried to find the original model and... I don't think I could ever find a maid/mistress/secretary versions of that girl model.

Life is life ^^

Aklackadaka

Feb 9, 2020
I cast Adverto Servili on a slave with 5 energy and this happened. Not sure if it's meant to work that way. I also noticed that the text for arena level 4 in the cheats menu is missing.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I cast Adverto Servili on a slave with 5 energy and this happened. Not sure if it's meant to work that way. I also noticed that the text for arena level 4 in the cheats menu is missing.
ImperatorAugustusTertius

This is definitely confusing everybody. Why not putting extra stars in gold like we originally meant to? Tho I seem to remember that they are originally assigned for something else, don't remember what exactly

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Extra energy stars do not have a different function so using a different color would be misleading, suggesting a nonexistent distinction.

What would we do when the energy stars switch to purple when the slave reaches the daily exercise limit?

The gold color we experimented with was hard to see over the yellow tones of the UI background.

You can tell it is not a visual glitch when you use them, since they behave like any other energy stars.

It is something new but I am sure we will quickly get used to it.

Rupert_

Jun 30, 2018
I have no idea how and why, but on a seemingly random manner, slaves that start with Dimwitted or lower intelligence stat barely gain more points or none at all. E.g I have a slave in a nurse outfit, and training her from F- to B+ in Nursery gave her 11 points. Also it seem that different slaves gain intelligence from different skills, like one gaining it from elocution and music, one from just nursing, and one from being a secretary, is it intentional? I'm playing 2.2 version updated on 30.11

edit. some slaves seem to gain intelligence in bulk, 4 trainings give no effect, 5th training gives 5 points,

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
If they don't put in at least a good effort (B+), they don't improve their intellect.

Gaining more than 2 points of intellect from one lesson should not be possible. Perhaps you had the slave assigned as your accountant at the end of the decade?

StillSlyMarbo

Nov 7, 2018
I've been thinking about how combat could be improved and I believe that one significant move would be to clear up the obscurity about what specific items/armor/and weapons do within the game. If you could see what the effects of leather armor (for example) are without having to use third party resources such as a wiki or forum, it would make it much easier to make informed decisions about where you are spending your sparks and why you might want to save up for that leather armor instead of aramid other then just knowing that one costs more then the other and whatever data you get for yourself from personal experience. The biggest problem (for me) with having to rely on third party resources for the meta info over specific mechanics and items within the game is that these things are subject to change at any moment and the wikis are (to my understanding) not supported by the same people making the game so you run into a problem where you can't be sure if the information you are getting from them is equivalent to what is actually occurring in the game itself. Naturally this isn't something that I expect to be worked on at the moment because there is plenty to do and never enough time to do it, these are just some of my thoughts on some of the issues with the current combat system in jack o' nine.

(edits: spelling and grammar)

CatAtomic

Dec 15, 2018
I believe cow and pony are reversed between slave and assistant. A S+ pony, F- cow assistant cannot teach pony skills to a D- pony, S+ cow slave.
Reverse them, a D- pony, S+ cow assistant can teach pony skills to a S+ pony, F- cow slave.

StillSlyMarbo

Nov 7, 2018
On a separate note, I’m not really sure why the Slaver has two mood debuffs from excitement. If I’m understanding this right you get both the “my pants are bursting from the boner” and “why did I have to play chaste and ignore my sexual desires?” debuffs from neglecting sexual release which seems redundant to me although I could be misunderstanding.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
On a separate note, I’m not really sure why the Slaver has two mood debuffs from excitement. If I’m understanding this right you get both the “my pants are bursting from the boner” and “why did I have to play chaste and ignore my sexual desires?” debuffs from neglecting sexual release which seems redundant to me although I could be misunderstanding.
One is just from having high excitement, the other is ending the day with max excitement for 3+ nights in a row.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I believe cow and pony are reversed between slave and assistant. A S+ pony, F- cow assistant cannot teach pony skills to a D- pony, S+ cow slave.
Reverse them, a D- pony, S+ cow assistant can teach pony skills to a S+ pony, F- cow slave.
Well spotted. Should be fixed now, and I checked that the others also match up with the correct skill.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I'm Johny. Even after spending nearly all the money I have on gear I can only sometimes beat the shitty unarmed slaves. I don't even get halfway through fighting the wardress at the next level. But I can't train any slaves because they always refuse to do anything unless I harshly punish them, but when I do that they fight back and kick the crap out of me. I can't even save scum to win any battle but the unarmed slaves.

So after a bunch of save scumming I managed to narrowly beat a Wardress and.... got the same message about not gaining any strength...
We've shifted all of the strength requirements down one tier, so you can now reach B+ strength sparring against Wardress tier opponents, and you can reach C- strength by beating unarmed slaves.

Reactions: Signtist

Signtist

Jun 8, 2017
We've shifted all of the strength requirements down one tier, so you can now reach B+ strength sparring against Wardress tier opponents, and you can reach C- strength by beating unarmed slaves.
I appreciate that! Sorry for ranting at you; I was in the middle of one of those classic throw-your-controller-in-frustration rages.

4.00 star(s) 59 Votes