dankcopter

Jun 15, 2018
Some thoughts on rental cost balance (hard mode):

1. The way things are right now, you are expected to be living in the slums for a very long time before you can afford to pay 250+ sparks a decade for the cheapest rental. Living in the slums bars you off from accessing many game mechanics such as kitchen, bath, alchemy, dungeon, etc. - I think this is not something you want to subject players to for too long.

2. By the time you can afford to rent the cheapest property in the Quarters, you'd most likely have trained and sold many slaves to many clients, building up your reputation in the meanwhile. Say you now have a C rank brand reputation... that home you worked so hard to afford is now considered substandard to your slaver and thanks to the way slaver's personality works, you'll find it difficult to increase it (unless I'm misunderstanding the way it works, idk I'm stuck at "caitiff" even after moving out of the slums)

3. In conclusion: Managing your finances feels so much harder than I remember it to be... it's probably the double whammy from rental cost increase and slave price nerf. I think lower tier housings could stand to be less expensive and if sparks is too easy to come by in the late game, then maybe the higher tier ones could be made more expensive instead.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 28, 2020

1. The way things are right now, you are expected to be living in the slums for a very long time before you can afford to pay 250+ sparks a decade for the cheapest rental. Living in the slums bars you off from accessing many game mechanics such as kitchen, bath, alchemy, dungeon, etc. - I think this is not something you want to subject players to for too long.

2. By the time you can afford to rent the cheapest property in the Quarters, you'd most likely have trained and sold many slaves to many clients, building up your reputation in the meanwhile. Say you now have a C rank brand reputation... that home you worked so hard to afford is now considered substandard to your slaver and thanks to the way slaver's personality works, you'll find it difficult to increase it (unless I'm misunderstanding the way it works, idk I'm stuck at "caitiff" even after moving out of the slums)

3. In conclusion: Managing your finances feels so much harder than I remember it to be... it's probably the double whammy from rental cost increase and slave price nerf. I think lower tier housings could stand to be less expensive and if sparks is too easy to come by in the late game, then maybe the higher tier ones could be made more expensive instead.

Thanks for reading.
It is harder and I used to believe that too, but after a second run (hard, no skills, 200 sparks, no Isabelle) with more thought into it, it wasn't that hard, it's true, you need to sell more slaves in the slums but that's the point of progression, in my case I sold a A+ slave (was like the 7th or 8th) and got like 12k in total to spare and moved to camira, didn't go alone I brought an assistant, from there I rented the dungeon and trained 2 girls at the same time, from there every 10 days you're losing around 500k sparks or 5k-6k every 100 days in rent and food so with that amount you have like 200 days before you need to auction one of your assistants, around that time they should be B+ or A+, if she's A+ then that's around 9k sparks which is another 150 days.

Next time you want to try it, take these into consideration...
Tips:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I think the rent right now is fine, but I do believe that brand rep growth is too high, like you shouldn't be B tier if you still live in the slums, maybe if it was limited by the reputation with the faction or the faction you're with?

Reactions: dankcopter

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020

Thanks for reading.
1. It is called "extreme difficulty" now. If you simply want less financial challenge, you can play on normal game difficulty but set the obedience difficulty in the options menu to "hardcore". Still, you can cover the extreme difficulty costs of living sooner than you think. Guild subpurchaser pays 250 for a D- slave, no questions asked. You can also rent an apartment for just a few days at a time to get access to services temporarily. The first decade bill is prorated based on how many days are remaining in the decade. You still have to pay the rental agency fee.

2. With C reputation the slaver wants B rank cost of living. That particular negative entry in the diary tends to follow you for a while, but you can address the "I live in a decrepit hovel" complaint with a sufficient amount of premium-quality interior remodeling, depending on the master's reputation. You'll know it's enough when the diary entry goes away. As for the master's personality level, some interactions with slaves increase it, but it tends to decay towards the standard of living or home decoration quality, whichever is less. The amulet reward from the forum quests counters that when personality is less than B+.

3. The path of least resistance is to move from slums to outcasts. You get a free barn, which allows you to keep a pig, an extra assistant, an egglayer and a cow. An egglayer has some setup cost but gives passive income of 100+ sparks per decade (having a fiend helps a lot here by reducing food cost). Cows can be sold to the public animal farm (conveniently located in the outcasts district also) and you can use the restraints if the cow is resistant. Cow value is mostly unrelated to skills, other than "cow" skill and a few sex techniques. Pig can be sold or simply used as an extra slave for training. You can alternate slaves between pig diet (cheap but unhealthy, gains weight fast) and restricted/starvation diet (cheap but unhealthy, loses weight depending on metabolism).

Alternatively or additionally, a dungeon is a very powerful tool for increasing your income because you can be training a prisoner alongside your active slave, passively raising the prisoner's obedience (through fear) just by imprisoning them overnight, and using them as an example of punishment for your current active slave. Moving to serpentine instead of outcasts has some merit too, as it gives you free (no travel cost) access to cryo storage and the pub for meals, and taking slaves to the beach costs half energy and is usually an effective way to build devotion faster after a slave reaches D-.

I think the rent right now is fine, but I do believe that brand rep growth is too high, like you shouldn't be B tier if you still live in the slums, maybe if it was limited by the reputation with the faction or the faction you're with?
Good advice. I also feel brand rep grows too quickly with regular arena events. I capped it at B+ from arena in a recent dev update but I'm considering lowering that to C- (Recognized) and also increasing the gap between C- and B+ so it takes selling several high rank slaves or buying your way into the Taurus club to socialize it up.

Another idea: require minimum D- brand rep to participate in arena, so "spreading rumors" in the forum becomes relevant again in the early game.

Last edited:

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
what does farm hand do? What affects cow productivity?
In the main home menu there's a business section that has an explanation of the farmhand's role. Cow productivity is affected by what you'd expect. Volume of mammary, cow "skill", impregnation level (the lactation surgery somehow adapts her womb to boost milk production), her mood, her weight, her physical maturity, how often she's being milked. Optimal frequency is to milk once per 2-3 days. According to some calculations I did a while ago, income from selling milk when market is high should average between 90 and 150 sparks per decade. Subtract feeding costs (fiend helps) for profit. Note that milk also saves you food costs if you cook at home, and you'll make more money from cows by selling them than from milking them.

Last edited:

Debonkers

Mar 21, 2022
just a quick question - my assistants always seem to become fat after some time, is there any way to prevent this without occasionally moving them to slave and training them?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
just a quick question - my assistants always seem to become fat after some time, is there any way to prevent this without occasionally moving them to slave and training them?
Is this happening with the latest ? (older 2.2.x version saved games are compatible)

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
I manage to download the game but it doesn't want to launch can anyone help?
The first post on this thread has links to Microsoft Visual Studio C++ (MSVC) redistributables. You need the ones from 2013. Also if you're not using the dev version, look at the post just above yours and follow the quoted link to get it instead of 2.2.2.

Flying Geaser

Jun 30, 2021
In the main home menu there's a business section that has an explanation of the farmhand's role. Cow productivity is affected by what you'd expect. Volume of mammary, cow "skill", impregnation level (the lactation surgery somehow adapts her womb to boost milk production), her mood, her weight, her physical maturity, how often she's being milked. Optimal frequency is to milk once per 2-3 days. According to some calculations I did a while ago, income from selling milk when market is high should average between 90 and 150 sparks per decade. Subtract feeding costs (fiend helps) for profit. Note that milk also saves you food costs if you cook at home, and you'll make more money from cows by selling them than from milking them.
physical maturity = mature instead of young?
Also, what affect farmhand's productivity?

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
physical maturity = mature instead of young?
Also, what affect farmhand's productivity?
Yes to the first question. The farmhand only affects productivity of the egglayer. How much depends on the farmhand's attitude towards sexual contact. A farmhand with lesbian trait is the best but even a homophobe is better than none.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Is there any good gameplay-related reason why fucking cows at the barn decreases nature, when simply getting her out of it for a little intimate time skips this issue?
Sorry for the late answer, I got one from the current main developer in case nobody answered to you since then: "Sex in the barn is treated as a dehumanizing interaction. There's no foreplay, no speech, it's simply the master inseminating the slave as efficiently as possible to make her produce more milk."

I think it makes sense, therefore I remove the change from the roadmap :)

Reactions: Isilindil

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
Do slaves get annoyed/tired from the repetition of a training? aka do they need variety?
Frequent repetition of an activity decreases merit generated from that activity but is not otherwise detrimental in the general sense. Specifics of the activity are a separate consideration (reduction of pride -> sanity risk; exercise beyond daily limit -> endurance loss; etc).

Reactions: Flying Geaser

Flying Geaser

Jun 30, 2021
I read "Free if the player's estate is Kamira." for restaurant. What is meant by estate? Do I have to live there or just be a patrician with them? Or both?

4.00 star(s) 59 Votes