Trapquest

Feb 26, 2018
You are thinking about things in a certain framing on game design that emphasizes systems being "fair". Now, a certain amount of accessibility is necessary for any good game, but not every game needs to frame it's systems around perfect 'fairness' to the player. Missing out on opportunities due to misfortune or bad plays is part and parcel of a game with a roleplaying emphasis.

It's perfectly obvious from the level of detail and dialogue in the game, and the way the systems are framed with small details being present, that jack-o-nine-tails is first and foremost a roleplaying game; and it just so happens to be in a fantasy setting which justifies some pretty grotesque fetishes, ryona, gore, cannibalism, rape, and pretty intense objectification that cannot be found in other games.

I'm not into any of that stuff, except maybe objectification to a limited extent, but I *do* like trainer games, and this one has one really big thing going on it's favour, it is fleshed out like crazy and has a difficulty going on that really makes you feel the world pushing back at you when you push forward, yet at the same time giving back when you put in, so long as you maintain a balance.

All that being said, the reason execution if a low-return mechanic is because it is, for all intents and purposes, designed with roleplay in mind, not utility. Execution is in the game because the original author clearly liked snuff, guro, gore and macabre fetishism, but also wanted to make an indepth game with a world that felt real. Jack-o-nine-tails is inadvertently an excellent horror game for people who aren't massive coomers because unraveling it's world with that soundtrack in the background playing is immensely disturbing, talking to people to figure out the game and finding out the in depth details of "pigs" in the game world is genuinely sickening in a way that a normal horror movie or story would not easily recreate. But that doesn't make killing a slave a good financial investment, and neither did the original dev.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2020
It's true that directly executing a slave currently has no gameplay utility (it simply removes the slave). The prisoner execution does have beneficial effects as discussed and for consistency we should probably extend some effects to your other slaves regardless of the method of execution.

In terms of cost, 20$ for a market slave (or time and expenses for obtaining a slave from the Fogs) is pretty cheap for the training acceleration you can get on another slave if you use example of execution.

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
You are thinking about things in a certain framing on game design that emphasizes systems being "fair". Now, a certain amount of accessibility is necessary for any good game, but not every game needs to frame it's systems around perfect 'fairness' to the player. Missing out on opportunities due to misfortune or bad plays is part and parcel of a game with a roleplaying emphasis.
I mean, maybe a bit, but I do play because the roleplay is fun. imagining these interactions, imagining what a jack anime/manga might be like*.

So I am mostly coming from a 'does this make sense' thing. A long time ago I talked about how threatening execution often causes the slave to promise to behave, and then will completely forget about this and refuse to do the very next task. Again, this was a thing that 'didnt make sense' to me, so I talked about it.

Again that was a long time ago, and since then it seems the threaten death system has since been reworked, although I haven't messed with it, because my slaves are good girls.

We could also talk about the role playing issues involving xenophilia in a location with no animals, but that has kinda been done to death.

*and we are so close to having AI actually make these things for us. I wish i had a green screen... and wasnt lazy as snot.

Isilindil

Apr 29, 2018
From a totally unrelated note: Old Huntsman seems to drag his ass out of whatever rock he was hiding and is making stuff again, this time something about... Cyberpunk, I believe? There is a demo, but in russian so good luck to average user of this site (including me). Also, there is Discord now (go to his twitter for direct link).
Now, who will be brave enough to ask him if he played modded Jack? :whistle:

Last edited:

viperviper12345

Dec 29, 2022
From a totally unrelated note: Old Huntsman seems to drag his ass out of whatever rock he was hiding and is making stuff again, this time something about... Cyberpunk, I believe? There is a demo, but in russian so good luck to average user of this site (including me). Also, there is Discord now (go to his twitter for direct link).
Now, who will be brave enough to ask him if he played modded Jack? :whistle:
Interesting... links? I can speak Russian if needed, would be interested to see his opinion at least that his J09t project survived to this day

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
hi how to run the program i tried installing VS 2013 & 2019 but still cannot start
If you've indeed installed these four prerequisite downloads, you in theory just need to run "Jack-o-nine-tails" executable.

If you have an error message, you might upload a screenshot here. (y)

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
can you create a video of how to install properly thanks,
sorry for the trouble. IT noob
Me I can't ^^ It would display personal infos from my computer, like which is my main language and stuff (besides, my firewall has rules blocking Microsoft IP adresses so I cannot even download these anymore lol)

As noob as you think you might be, the process of installing these is straightforward enough not to require a video. If you still need a video, YouTube must have hundreds of tutorial and the methods doesn't differ from version to version (it's just download>double click the installer>click next until installation finishes).

I cannot tell for sure if those you downloaded are the right ones, but from the names it looks alright.

These redistribuables are often necessary for PC videogames, so this process would have been necessary for you anyway.

So install every four of them, then start Jack-o-nine, and if you have an error message show me. (y)

Jan322

May 20, 2018
Hi, I updated the game from 2.2 to 2.2.3 and after winning the girl in battle I don't see the option to have sex with her, is it a bug or was this option removed? I have patch 2.2.3 installed.

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
Well. I just had a very interesting... mmm... bug. Slave attempted suicide (which I was quite surprised about given that she was only at 3 despair) But, my assistant caught her, and... My Slaver is unhappy because my slave ran away.

which. makes sense... cause in the in game files, it clearly says: master_moodlet['neg_escape'] = 1 in the suicide code.

Maybe we should add a new bad mood, something like:

$master_bad_mood[] = 'neg_slave_attempt_suicide' & $mood_description['neg_slave_attempt_suicide'] = 'The ungrateful wretch tried to kill herself! My assistant managed to stop her, but no one slept well last night.'

somewhere in there. I think it is a bit more complicated than just adding the line though?

save posted, but no real reason to look at it.

joeshmo828282

Mar 23, 2022
maybe i am dumb.

but this block of code

if cow['mood'] = 0: cow_base_price += 50
if cow['mood'] = 1: cow_base_price += 100
if cow['mood'] = 2: cow_base_price += 150
if cow['mood'] = 3: cow_base_price += 200
if cow['mood'] = 4: cow_base_price += 250
if cow['mood'] = 5: cow_base_price += 300
if cow['mood'] = 6: cow_base_price -= 20
if cow['mood'] = 7: cow_base_price -= 40
if cow['mood'] = 8: cow_base_price -= 60
if cow['mood'] = 9: cow_base_price -= 100
if cow['mood'] = 10: cow_base_price -= 250

and this block of code

if cow['mood'] = 0: $csell_mood = 'Hmm, she seems <font color="#0000D8">calm</font>. We do not like depressive cows, it can be disastrous for their productivity.'
if cow['mood'] = 1: $csell_mood = 'Hmm, she seems <font color="#0000D8">calm</font>. We do not like depressive cows, it can be disastrous for their productivity.'
if cow['mood'] = 2: $csell_mood = 'It seems that you have a <font color="#0000D8">pleased</font> cow: it’s a good point, they always are a bit more productive.'
if cow['mood'] = 3: $csell_mood = 'It seems that you have a <font color="#0000D8">pleased</font> cow: it’s a good point, they always are a bit more productive.'
if cow['mood'] = 4: $csell_mood = 'She looks really <font color="#0000D8">happy</font> with her fate, it’s enjoyable to see. Happiness is good for business, in a farm.'
if cow['mood'] = 5: $csell_mood = 'She looks really <font color="#0000D8">happy</font> with her fate, it’s enjoyable to see. Happiness is good for business, in a farm.'
if cow['mood'] = -1: $csell_mood = 'She looks pretty <font color="#0000D8">sad</font>… Not a big deal, but happy cows always are more productive, you see?'
if cow['mood'] = -2: $csell_mood = 'She looks pretty <font color="#0000D8">sad</font>… Not a big deal, but happy cows always are more productive, you see?'
if cow['mood'] = -3: $csell_mood = 'She looks pretty <font color="#0000D8">sad</font>… Not a big deal, but happy cows always are more productive, you see?'
if cow['mood'] = -4: $csell_mood = 'Well… This slave is <font color="#0000D8">depressed</font>… You know, it’s bad for business, it can impacts very badly the productivity of our cows.'
if cow['mood'] = -5: $csell_mood = 'Well… This slave is <font color="#0000D8">depressed</font>… You know, it’s bad for business, it can impacts very badly the productivity of our cows.'

feels like they dont line up.

am i stupid about how mood works?

4.00 star(s) 59 Votes