4.20 star(s) 17 Votes

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
At the risk of annoying the mods by seriously straying off-topic, how well does EndeavourOS handle laptop and suspending? I've been looking for a lightweight alternative for my underpowered dell but every Ubuntu based doesn't seem to be able to handle suspending, causing the battery to continually run out.

I've been trying out different distros at the rate of one per week lately.
Nothing handles suspending/sleep/hibernation well. Microsoft sure never got it right. My linux laptop doesn't handle it well either.

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Nothing handles suspending/sleep/hibernation well. Microsoft sure never got it right. My linux laptop doesn't handle it well either.
Too bad. I know Windows didn't. My problem with Windows is the constant stutters and lockups. Had to power down the thing just to get it back to proper working. The hardware just isn't up to anything beyond say, Win 7. 10 and 11 just can't handle it.

Oh well, I'll probably just keep PopOS. I like the DE it comes with.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Consoles seem to do it very well nowadays. I throw my ps5 into rest and it basically serves as a savestate of exactly where I stopped in a game very handy in checkpoint save based games. I know my son's switch also does the same as did our 3ds/2ds handhelds. Phones at least running android also seem to do it pretty well. Not sure why Windows (no experience with Linux computing outside android) can't seem to pull it off. Sleep/hibernate is one of the first things I turn off cause it never works and rarely wakes up.

Last edited:

SHREDDER1976

Feb 25, 2021
best way to wake up from sleep / hibernation with Windows is to move the mouse around on the mouse pad, and tap away on the left and right mouse buttons a couple of times, don't use it on my computer, but i do one my mum's computer that only get's used a few times a week and she want's me to leave it in sleep hibernate mode

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

Hello everyone...

It has been about 7 weeks since my last public release (Last Human). And it has been a rough period. During that time, I was back and forth writing the next episode for Serenity Chapter 2 (episode 3). Monday night, I read through what I had, and I just hated it. It seemed like my depression had an effect on what I was writing, plus having written pieces here and there, it was too disjointed. That just won't do. Lately, I have good and bad days. Today is a good day (and there are more good days than bad now). But I am so unhappy with this episode that I am scrapping it completely. With it being almost 2 months since my last release, and because I already have the next episode of Last Human written and outlined, I am going to shift over to getting that episode done instead. I'll come back to Serenity after that.

I know that some of you won't like that at all and I'm sorry. But writing the next Serenity episode, well it's a big update. I would be 3 or 4 months out from getting it completed at this point and I am not up to rewriting it right now. I know there are also a lot of Last Human fans out there that might be excited about this change. And I am NOT going to abandon Serenity. I just can't commit to starting over on that one at this time, especially when I know I have a huge head start already on episode 3 of LH. What it boils down to is this: I am excited at the idea of working on LH right now. I just don't feel that way with Serenity knowing that I'd have to start from scratch. With my focus going that direction, it would be a bad idea to do that because I'd just end up repeating the same issue.

With all that said, I am officially putting the Serenity update on the back burner and will instead work on Last Human episode 3. I'll circle back to Serenity after this of course. Mentally, this is where my head is at right now. It is also a big update, and one that I think LH fans are going to really enjoy. Now, I could still be 2 months, maybe 3 out from this release. But I am in a much better place getting LH done. Hopefully after working on this, and the passing time, I'll feel more passion for writing a proper episode for Serenity Chapter 2. Today, it just isn't there.

Anyway, I hope you guys are okay with this. I know it isn't the best news to hear for those of you who are here for Serenity. I just know that if I try to start over on that right now, it won't be the best episode it can be. And with all the mistakes I have already made with that story, I need it to be my best. I have already begun coding LH episode 3 and also finding some assets I'll need for the artwork in preparation for the rendering stage. So, there is still plenty of work to be done, but at least I don't have to rewrite that one.

I'll post another devlog/update soon. Right now, I want to get back to coding episode 3 (LH). With any luck, I can finish that in just a couple of weeks then get to rendering. Thanks for the feedback, well wishes and support as always. I love you guys, ...Fire

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022

Hello everyone...

It has been about 7 weeks since my last public release (Last Human). And it has been a rough period. During that time, I was back and forth writing the next episode for Serenity Chapter 2 (episode 3). Monday night, I read through what I had, and I just hated it. It seemed like my depression had an effect on what I was writing, plus having written pieces here and there, it was too disjointed. That just won't do. Lately, I have good and bad days. Today is a good day (and there are more good days than bad now). But I am so unhappy with this episode that I am scrapping it completely. With it being almost 2 months since my last release, and because I already have the next episode of Last Human written and outlined, I am going to shift over to getting that episode done instead. I'll come back to Serenity after that.

I know that some of you won't like that at all and I'm sorry. But writing the next Serenity episode, well it's a big update. I would be 3 or 4 months out from getting it completed at this point and I am not up to rewriting it right now. I know there are also a lot of Last Human fans out there that might be excited about this change. And I am NOT going to abandon Serenity. I just can't commit to starting over on that one at this time, especially when I know I have a huge head start already on episode 3 of LH. What it boils down to is this: I am excited at the idea of working on LH right now. I just don't feel that way with Serenity knowing that I'd have to start from scratch. With my focus going that direction, it would be a bad idea to do that because I'd just end up repeating the same issue.

With all that said, I am officially putting the Serenity update on the back burner and will instead work on Last Human episode 3. I'll circle back to Serenity after this of course. Mentally, this is where my head is at right now. It is also a big update, and one that I think LH fans are going to really enjoy. Now, I could still be 2 months, maybe 3 out from this release. But I am in a much better place getting LH done. Hopefully after working on this, and the passing time, I'll feel more passion for writing a proper episode for Serenity Chapter 2. Today, it just isn't there.

Anyway, I hope you guys are okay with this. I know it isn't the best news to hear for those of you who are here for Serenity. I just know that if I try to start over on that right now, it won't be the best episode it can be. And with all the mistakes I have already made with that story, I need it to be my best. I have already begun coding LH episode 3 and also finding some assets I'll need for the artwork in preparation for the rendering stage. So, there is still plenty of work to be done, but at least I don't have to rewrite that one.

I'll post another devlog/update soon. Right now, I want to get back to coding episode 3 (LH). With any luck, I can finish that in just a couple of weeks then get to rendering. Thanks for the feedback, well wishes and support as always. I love you guys, ...Fire
Something to keep in mind on the depression front is that it may be poisoning your own reading/interpretation of your work. If you haven't thrown out the serenity stuff, maybe have a trusted person who's in the know look at it, it's entirely possible that it's just as good as your usual but depression brain just can't see it right now. From a fellow sufferer I hope things get better.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Something to keep in mind on the depression front is that it may be poisoning your own reading/interpretation of your work. If you haven't thrown out the serenity stuff, maybe have a trusted person who's in the know look at it, it's entirely possible that it's just as good as your usual but depression brain just can't see it right now. From a fellow sufferer I hope things get better.
It is still a good idea to switch focus. And when they come back to Serenity can read it again to see if they still feel it is not up to par.

Reactions: N2TheFire

SHREDDER1976

Feb 25, 2021
TigerWolfe does have a Point, please if you still have the script, get someone you trust read it and see what they think,
You are a fantastic Author, and the misstakes as you put it make the M.C. in your game's far more real then in anyone else's games I have ever Played.

And Yes N2thefire, it's all good for you to switch to something that your mind can focus on Better.
We all do this, or at least we all should, this is why many Author's writing book's write many different Serie's at the same time.
Ie they take time from one series to write the next book or just a chapter of a different series.
Or
they take a break and relax catching up on some reading to refresh there brain.

I think there will be very few people that will have any problem with you focusing on what your heart is drawn to right now instead of trying to write for something that you can't focus on right now.
also..
Please don't be afraid to start dabbling in script idea's for Re-Serenity, or any other script's for games that you might be thinking about for the Future, ie like the MC's sister's game or anything else that tickle's your fancy. :cool: :) ;)

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020

Hello everyone...
<...>
Do what you need to get back into a good headspace. Not having suffered from depression myself, but knowing many who do, I understand how important it can be to switch gears so to speak.

IMO, your health, both physically, and mentally, are important. Take care of yourself first and foremost. We'll still be here.

Apr 2, 2023

Hello everyone...

Take care of yourself first and foremost. As a former musician/artist I know the struggles of trying to work on multiple pieces at the same time. You've written an amazing world where both Serenity and Last Human intertwine and mesh so well I am sure I speak for most us when I say take your time as we know that story telling is a marathon and not a sprint . We're all our own worst critics. As always I look forward to the new adventures with the wonderful Neko's in either story.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

lh_special_kal_sfw_02(1920).png

Happy Friday everyone!
(Attached render is from a recent patron-only special CG set)

Another long and stressful week from my regular job finally ends. That job is probably contributing to at least 80% of my depression issues. I won't go into details about that here, but it's just a lot of bullshit. I wish I could quit but I'm at an age where finding a new job just isn't realistic. I'm 7 years away from being able to retire from there. If I could make around 4k per month on here, I probably would quit that job (which would knock out a huge part of my problems) and I'd be able to work on my games full time. But I don't like begging and growth on here is a long and tedious process... it just takes time and a lot of patience... and depends on whether enough people like what I'm doing. Some of you guys have been with me since day 1, and some of you have been with me for a very long time. I love you for that.

But back to the real world... For now, we'll have to get by with updates that will come as I have time to work on them. Hopefully that is starting to improve a bit now. I have finished all coding for episode 3 and have already completed the intro animation for the episode. I spent last night working on that. So far this morning, working from home (for the shit job) and that has been quiet. I managed to start setting up the first scene. All I have to do now is add characters and begin rendering scenes. I'll start that tonight. I don't like rendering while working the shit job because I like to be 100% focused on that part of the process.

I have started dividing up episodes into scenes to make things a bit easier for me to manage. This isn't something you'll notice much in the game itself. But in the coding process, I divided up the episode into 16 scenes. This way, I can work towards completing a scene at a time. I can't explain it, but it helps me when I set small goals this way. So, in future devlogs, I can also let you know what scene I am working on, which will give you an idea of how progress is going. Obviously with this devlog, I can report that I'll be working on scene 1. It's a long scene with around 280 images. The entire episode will have about 1400 images (could be more or less depending on what I cut or add during rendering and reading dialogue).

That's all I have for now. Some of you will surely comment or DM me after this with suggestions on improving my exposure. And I appreciate that! But if you want to help me get out there... you can do a lot by simply telling others to try Last Human. It's free and they can support with subs if they choose to after checking it out. You can also post reviews of my games on f95 and itch. Reviews, good or bad still generate interest because interested people will look at how many reviews a game has versus its overall rating.

Have a great weekend my friends, I love all of you, ...Fire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

Happy Weekend all!

Well, I wasn't able to get as much done on the game as I would like this past week. Work has been so busy this year. But I am more than halfway through scene 1 (of 16). So... not horrible. I am off work Monday and Tuesday for Independence Day. I'll probably get the scene completed and into scene 2 by then hopefully.

Keeping it short this week... really just wanted to share this render of Alexis with her fade bike out on the tunnel. Also, since it's Friday night, I'm free and this is prime rendering time for me. So, get out there and play some games for me! I just saw that my good friend Story Anon just released his next update to the public...
Go check it out!

LH-Lexi-FadeBike02(1920).png

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

cust-cg-rin-lex05.png

Hello everyone!

Well, where do I begin this? First of all, I posted this as a 'personal' devlog because I haven't been able to do any developing on the game since I last posted. This year has been the hardware refresh year at my IT job. We manage multiple companies (around 800 users). And since I'm the one that manages hardware inventory and also hardware purchasing... well... It is a huge, complicated pain in the ass for one person. Dropped in my lap at the last minute... I had to travel this past week to Texas to do some computer setups and swap outs myself as well. Thankfully, that trip went smoothly and without issues. But I'm physically and mentally exhausted because I put all of my energy into making sure I got everything done in the time I had. Twelve hours one day, sixteen on another day... I was barely in my hotel room (only to sleep, shower, and do it again the next day). Fortunately, that is the only site I had to travel to. The other guys will be travelling to the rest. I have two local sites to work on and I'll have help at those.

I know it's been five months since my last release. I'm well aware that it has been a long wait for you guys. Due to such a long delay, a lot of people have dropped their subs and I totally would do the same. It really sucks that if I had enough subs, I could probably retire from IT permanently and have ALL of my time to work on my games. Release much more often, more activity from me in general, the list goes on. But then I come back from this trip, and I have a few people in my DMs giving me shit about the long delay who obviously never bothered to read any of my posts, anywhere. If you don't know what someone is dealing with, then keep your bullshit to yourself please. I'm dealing with enough of it already. That plus dealing with depression and trying to manage my stress at the same time. So, if you were one of those people and didn't get a reply, it's because I have to ignore you for my health.

With all of that said... there is light at the end of this tunnel. There always is, but sometimes when you can't see it yet, it's still stressful. There are only a few sites left for us to upgrade. And all of these upgrades must be completed before the end of September. Next week I'll be working on getting computer quotes and orders completed for the rest of the sites and then I'll finally have a bit more free time. Outside of the two weeks I'll be working in the two local sites (one of those is our largest site with 150 users).

Okay, I know the last thing you wanted to read about in a new post from me was me talking about my other job. But in my effort to be as transparent as possible, I feel you deserve to know. Especially those of you who actually sub and give me money. FWIW, I'm never going to quit the game development stuff unless I just get to a point where I simply can't because I can't come up with new material or content. Stories are my life though... and I have enough shit written down to make more than the two I'm already working on. Anyway, just know that in between all of my IT job crap and 'real life' stuff, I am picking away at the next LH update as much as I can. I'm hoping to have every evening next week to just work on LH Episode 3 art. When I left off, I was still working on scene 1, which is a long scene (around 200 or more images). And it is also a new scene because it has different background and surroundings that I had to build basically from scratch (with help from a few modders of course getting me some much-needed assets). I will also have some time over this weekend outside of a few things I need to do around the house.

And by the way, if you're going to drop your sub, it is totally fine. You don't have to explain to me, and it doesn't hurt my feelings. If it were me, I might do the same (and have). Once my IT work gets back to the normal stuff, things will go back to the way they were. And I am also considering doing shorter, possibly monthly (or close to it anyway) releases. I don't prefer shorter releases because its less content. But basically, I would do half an episode per update. It might make things easier for me to manage. I don't know yet, I may try that for the next update (not this one because I am committed to getting you a full episode after this long wait). So, we'll see how that goes.

So, that's what is going on now. Time for me to work the IT job and focus on getting that shit done as soon as possible. I hope you guys can hang in there with me a bit longer. I WANT to get back to my games and I am excited about the new direction I have planned for Serenity once this LH update is completed. I love all of you, see you soon!

...Fire

Feb 21, 2023
Much love to you, and if only to counter that hate you got. Hope you get your stuff sorted out.

I for my part will just patiently wait it out and be back as soon as the cat girl glory continues. You have been transparent enough in my opinion. And you take quite good care of your community and even the just spiritual fans here. No way to give you any shit for that. Its just some people always start screaming delay tactics the moment things don't go smoothly just because someone else abandoned their game. Not fair to throw that at you without any real basis. It's not like you already have something finished up like the first chapter of Serenity.... oh wait.

Anyway, rant over, hope you can get back to what you love, love you and your cat girl universes and for all it's flaws I think you are making something truly beautiful for all the cat girl lovers out here so I'm hoping you will be with us for a long time.
Cheers <3

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Chiming in to say the same. No flak from me shattering a dev's mental health seems counter productive for game production. Do what ya gotta do. Hopefully things level off and you get a good long run where you can switch to this full time.

4.20 star(s) 17 Votes