4.20 star(s) 17 Votes

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
lh_ep03_prev03(1920).png

Happy Friday! Well, I've somehow gotten back into my normal workflow in the midst of my full-time job bullshit and other outside interference. I can happily announce that I have about 70% of the rendering completed for episode 3. I am now starting on scene 11 (of 16) which is (spoiler alert) a nice event with Natalie. It would be really nice to have this update completed for an end-of-month release. But that is just one week away now and I feel like there is about 2 weeks worth of work left to do. Aside from completing the images, there is also choosing and adding in music in the right places and my own play through the finished product to proofread and check for any issues.

In my last big post, I'd mentioned that I was planning to do 2 Serenity updates once this LH update was released. But I received a lot of feedback from many of you saying I should just go back to 'taking turns' on them so you guys won't be waiting so long for the next LH update. That makes sense to me, so that is the plan moving forward. The holdup on doing the last Serenity update (for those who missed it) was that I was very unhappy with how I'd written it and scrapped the episode completely. That means that I still need to rewrite it, even before starting on the rendering process. I have already written some of it and have a good idea of the direction I want to take it. If you didn't read this post, there are a lot more details about the changes coming to Serenity here:

Not to beat a dead horse, but my last release was back in February. I've never gone this long without having something to release. And I hope to never go this long again. But through the last 7 months, I am stunned that so many patrons have stuck around. I am hopeful that after this release, I can get back to my 2 - 3 month release schedule. If I can ever get an episode ahead on the writing (for both projects), that may reduce development time a bit. After these past months and all the full-time job craziness and other crap, I am definitely taking a 2-week break once LH EP3 is out... Some time to myself to play some of my friends' games. Once the computer upgrades are done at my full-time job, I've got a week's vacation to take. I will spend that week chilling and finish writing Serenity's update. I always have so much to do and so little time LMAO!

Anyway, I wanted to say again that I appreciate you guys sticking around. That includes the non-patrons who continue to follow my projects. LH EP3 should be a great update, but I can't wait to get back to the fade again. We're getting close! Hang in there!

Love you all, ...Fire

May 13, 2018
Just started this game, and I suppose it looks promising.

But if you're going to add a soundtrack (dev did), add sound effects (dev didn't).

Because narrative isn't a sound effect.

<smirk>

1695782709641.png

• Angry
Reactions: Maviarab

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Just started this game, and I suppose it looks promising.

But if you're going to add a soundtrack (dev did), add sound effects (dev didn't).

Because narrative isn't a sound effect.

<smirk>

View attachment 2959797
Hard pass on random ass alarm sounds while I'm reading an AVN...
I like sound effects generally, but only if they are done well. I also give a hard pass on jarring, sudden noises that are inserted for "reasons". This sounds like a terrible idea. Would I still play the game and love it? Yes. Would I wince whenever I hear the same sound that calls me to my 9-to-5 every day? Also yes.

Reactions: Twistty

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I like sound effects generally, but only if they are done well. I also give a hard pass on jarring, sudden noises that are inserted for "reasons". This sounds like a terrible idea. Would I still play the game and love it? Yes. Would I wince whenever I hear the same sound that calls me to my 9-to-5 every day? Also yes.
I did not add sound effects because I hate them in a visual novel. I like the 'narrative' so that is why I did it this way. Sound effects might make the story better for you and a few others, but it wouldn't for me. There are plenty of other reasons I didn't add sound effects... Finding the right ones is a time-consuming nightmare that usually requires another subscription. Then editing them and fitting them into the game in the right place... hell I've already taken a lot of development time to get an update out. I chose to spend that time choosing music instead. Music is at least easier to find (decent music) and if I don't, I can make my own (and have). Also, if you're not going to make sound effects for everything in the game that would make a sound, then you end up with sudden sounds as you mentioned. Believe me, I gave it a lot of thought. Just isn't for me.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
I did not add sound effects because I hate them in a visual novel. I like the 'narrative' so that is why I did it this way. Sound effects might make the story better for you and a few others, but it wouldn't for me. There are plenty of other reasons I didn't add sound effects... Finding the right ones is a time-consuming nightmare that usually requires another subscription. Then editing them and fitting them into the game in the right place... hell I've already taken a lot of development time to get an update out. I chose to spend that time choosing music instead. Music is at least easier to find (decent music) and if I don't, I can make my own (and have). Also, if you're not going to make sound effects for everything in the game that would make a sound, then you end up with sudden sounds as you mentioned. Believe me, I gave it a lot of thought. Just isn't for me.
Look at this folks. Keeping the end goal in sight. Not allowing project bloat, love to see it. This is how you dev.

I tend to be a fairly strong believer in more is more, especially with regards to LIs, but at the end of the day some stuff doesn't add to the story in a way that is any kind of meaningful boost. And for a lot of folks, not all obviously, they play without sound (almost like how all my other non Adult non visual novels work) so even adding music for those folks is lost effort (music is super effective at ramping up the emotion in a scene, don't get me wrong). So adding sound board effects, definitely doesn't increase the experience, for enough people (dev enjoyment counts here too) to be worth it.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Oh, no worries. TBH I only like sound effects if they're done very well, and even then it really depends on the situation. I'm a million percent fine with no sound effects at all. Do I like them in general terms? Sure, sound effects are cool. Are games lesser without them? Absolutely not. I think Last Human is amazing exactly as it is. Heart.png

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Oh, no worries. TBH I only like sound effects if they're done very well, and even then it really depends on the situation. I'm a million percent fine with no sound effects at all. Do I like them in general terms? Sure, sound effects are cool. Are games lesser without them? Absolutely not. I think Last Human is amazing exactly as it is. View attachment 2961158
I guess I am more of the old fashioned, narrative kind of guy. I came from just writing 'text only' stories - to making VN's, so there's that too. I am used to writing in sounds like "<alarm sound>" LOL. Looks funny when you see that, but it gets the point across. I've played a few that had sound effects. But the funny thing about sounds (and music too) in renpy games is the damn volume. I'd have to edit every sound. The completionist in me would then want sounds for everything because - why did I get to hear 'that' but not 'this'?

There is one thing I did that will be new in Episode 3 - I added some light atmospheric sound to a scene. It's just a cold, windy sound and edited so the volume isn't too high. I purposely made it barely noticeable, and a bit lower when indoors during the scene. Listen for it during the first scene when the episode is released. Really just an experiment because I wanted to see if it made the scene feel 'colder' and how people would respond to it. These kinds of sounds I can deal with (I like that better than the sudden knock on a door or phone ringing, etc.)

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I guess I am more of the old fashioned, narrative kind of guy. I came from just writing 'text only' stories - to making VN's, so there's that too. I am used to writing in sounds like "<alarm sound>" LOL. Looks funny when you see that, but it gets the point across. I've played a few that had sound effects. But the funny thing about sounds (and music too) in renpy games is the damn volume. I'd have to edit every sound. The completionist in me would then want sounds for everything because - why did I get to hear 'that' but not 'this'?

There is one thing I did that will be new in Episode 3 - I added some light atmospheric sound to a scene. It's just a cold, windy sound and edited so the volume isn't too high. I purposely made it barely noticeable, and a bit lower when indoors during the scene. Listen for it during the first scene when the episode is released. Really just an experiment because I wanted to see if it made the scene feel 'colder' and how people would respond to it. These kinds of sounds I can deal with (I like that better than the sudden knock on a door or phone ringing, etc.)
100%. Things like waves crashing or wind howling are the types of sound I usually prefer. I don't need to hear someone knocking at the door, a drawer opening and closing, an alarm ringing, or a girl screaming during sex in a loop again and again. That type of stuff is almost always done badly and gets annoying.
oh... -CookieMonster666- I just realized I replied to you instead of the OP that brought this up LOL
No worries. :)

Reactions: N2TheFire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
lh_ep03_prev06(1920).png

Hey everyone!
I am excited today because I think we may have just one more devlog then finally it will be time to release this thing! I have 3 scenes left to render at a total of about 180 images. And they aren't too complicated or time consuming to do. So, I am 'fairly' confident in saying that we can expect the release announcement possibly by next weekend. Maybe a few days into that week at the latest. It depends on how long it takes me to place my music. It's a simple task doing the music, but what takes time is finding the right music for the situation. I am very picky about that because I don't want to be one of those where people say the music sucks. I would really like to be the developer where people decide to actually turn on the music in my VNs :)

On the personal side... I posted recently about my financial situation taking a turn and having to come out-of-pocket on some unexpected expenses. Good news on that front is that the insurance adjuster did approve the work to replace my roof (thankfully) and they cut us a check today... which we'll receive around middle of next week. We do still have a $2k deductible that we have to pay, alongside some car repairs that came up at the same time. Yeah, I know... it sucks. Needless to say, we're strapped for cash right now so I unsubbed from everyone I was subbing on Patreon, and also cancelled some streaming services I wasn't watching as much lately. Although, I kept my crunchyroll account (hell, I want to have something to watch lol).

With that said, I would really like to try growing my fanbase and possibly gain more patrons/subscribers. So spread the word, stream my VN's, or whatever it takes! I know my VN's aren't everyone's cup of tea... but I am sure there are more like us out there. Even if they don't subscribe, more fans are always a positive thing. Compared to many of my dev friends, I am still the lowest on the list if going by number of patrons. In any case, I am so thankful to those of you who have stuck with me all this time! Even through these long development times. You guys absolutely rock.

Now time to get back to work. The sooner I can get these last renders completed; the sooner I can get started on picking music tracks. We really are almost there now!

Love you all, ...Fire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

(Go to the patreon post to read the full post... release schedule below)

RELEASE SCHEDULE: Because it has been so long since the last update, I am pushing this one out rather quickly. There will only be 2 days between each of the tier releases, and then it will go public. I know in my recent post I said that I wanted to get more patrons but I would prefer to get more fans first. And then those that like it enough and are able to might patron and support. I just want to get it out there as quickly as possible. Basically, it will be public in about one week. I hope that you guys like episode 3.

Dream Angel-$50, Fade Crown-$25, & Fade Defender-$15 - Wednesday 11, Oct. 2023 (TODAY)

Fade Goddess-$10 & Fade Angel-$5 - Friday 13, Oct. 2023

Fade Visitor-$2 - Sunday 15, Oct. 2023

Public (Free) - Tuesday 17, Oct. 2023

Download Post Here: (Post will be released to each tier as listed above)

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021

(Go to the patreon post to read the full post... release schedule below)

RELEASE SCHEDULE: Because it has been so long since the last update, I am pushing this one out rather quickly. There will only be 2 days between each of the tier releases, and then it will go public. I know in my recent post I said that I wanted to get more patrons but I would prefer to get more fans first. And then those that like it enough and are able to might patron and support. I just want to get it out there as quickly as possible. Basically, it will be public in about one week. I hope that you guys like episode 3.

Dream Angel-$50, Fade Crown-$25, & Fade Defender-$15 - Wednesday 11, Oct. 2023 (TODAY)

Fade Goddess-$10 & Fade Angel-$5 - Friday 13, Oct. 2023

Are you updating itch.io at the same time as the Public release?

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
Sound in Space is not working. Because something is missing and we are not in Star W.
And ii forget to ask about Rin is she from Chapter 1 or endgame?
And something else When depress hit´s you eat Chocolate with 70 caocao min it helps me to overcome it try ration out and it helps. sorry but dont press to much yourself.

Last edited:

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Now released to Fade Goddess and Fade Angel tiers

Dream Angel-$50, Fade Crown-$25, & Fade Defender-$15 - Wednesday 11, Oct. 2023

Fade Goddess-$10 & Fade Angel-$5 - Friday 13, Oct. 2023 (TODAY)

Sep 26, 2021
I'm reading through the new update right now. I noticed that if music is playing, and you scroll back through the text, the music stops and it doesn't start again even when you continue reading new text. I don't really know anything about Ren'py but is there a way to make the music keep playing while reversing the text?

SHREDDER1976

Feb 25, 2021
I'm reading through the new update right now. I noticed that if music is playing, and you scroll back through the text, the music stops and it doesn't start again even when you continue reading new text. I don't really know anything about Ren'py but is there a way to make the music keep playing while reversing the text?
well you could save before reviewing and reload, that should fix the problem.
I normally listen to "Lonely fish" music when there is no sound when correcting Grammar and spelling. (the music is mostly used in - A House in the Rift)
Otherwise N2thefire should have that problem fixed by the next update or by the time he release's the Delta version of this update.

4.20 star(s) 17 Votes