1337Bob

Jan 31, 2018
Leap of Faith is a really good game. 2020 has been a surprisingly good year for high-quality, story driven games, with many new developers entering the space (thanks COVID?). For a first time developer especially, Leap of Faith is exceptionally good. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention, and it took me so long to find it as it's right up my alley. I can only assume it's a matter of time.

Drifty is creating a compelling narrative with interesting characters. It has meaningful choices. It has a good and consistent tone, it's serious when it needs to, and humorous when it needs to. It has beautiful renders. It has a great and thematically appropriate soundtrack. It has fluid and fun animation sequences. Perhaps above all, it has a very high level of polish. It's hard to describe completely but everything from the UI to the game mechanics just screams high quality. It is so high that you can easily compare Leap of Faith to current greats of adult VNs like Being a DIK and City of Broken Dreamers and not feel bad in the slightest - Leap of Faith matches up or even surpasses them in certain cases. Everyone who is interested in story-driven adult VNs should play this game.

---

I now want to talk about my issue with Leap of Faith. I prefaced this with the overwhelming praise because the game deserves it, even if I do have problems with it. My criticism is because I want the game to be the best it can possibly be.

Minor spoilers ahead.

My primary criticism is to do with Episode 4, and more specifically what I see as the game pigeonholing, or forcing major decisions on the player far too early. The start of Episode 4 asks you to pick one of the love interests. This decision will affect who you go on a "date" with at the end of Episode, and from all indications, who will be your primary (if not exclusive) love interest in the game going forward. This is far too early for the story. I realize I am not the first to raise this issue, and Drifty has mentioned it already (8 chapters), but I wanted to give my opinion on it. The choice of love interest should have really been at the end of chapter 4, not the start (at a minimum, anyway). Both the player, and James as a character aren't really at a position to make such a choice. You barely know anything about much of the girls, or at least anything other than the superficial. Chapter 4 should have been getting to know each of the love interests, then deciding.

The clear casualty of this issue is Stephanie. When we have to decide at the start of Chapter 4, we have yet to have single real conversation with her, nor have we heard her reason for leaving. There's also a disconnect between the player and James, who the player is meant to inhabit. James may or may not be in love with Stephanie based on his emotions, but the player doesn't really have anything to go on other than a couple of flashback scenes. The result is incredibly gamey. Most people probably won't pick Steph initially, then they get to the conversation with her and hear her out, then they have reload back to the decision to pick her if they like her, completely breaking immersion. Alternatively, players may pick Steph on a whim, then hear her out, decide her reason is shit, then reload to pick someone else. In other words, the player is making a decision that really requires knowledge they only obtain after that decision.

While the issue with Stephanie is the most obvious, the same issue affects all the love interests to some extent (with the possible exception of Lexi). You only find out more about them during Chapter 4 after the decision, or worse, only on their specific path. The relationship and history between Linda and James is unclear, particularly how they broke up and James began dating Stephanie instead. Robin and Kira come across only as a sexually open/promiscuous couple who just want a threesome. Only after you pick their route to you learn about their desire to settle down and have a family (a possible point of tension?). Cece's condition (and the cause thereof) isn't really explained or meaningfully expanded upon, even if you do pick her path. Lexi seems to be the only one who seems to be more or less what she initially appears to be, but her path has issues too. Unless you specifically pick her path, she barely chases after you, bizarre given it's the primary reason she invited you and your friends. On her path, she states she's been throwing herself at you, which doesn't seem the case at all. Lexi also seems incredibly unfazed by all the other competing love interests.

Chapter 4 should have allowed you to go on all the "dates" with all the love interests (even if it means skimping or moving the sex scenes currently within the dates) and get to know them much better, then you decide which one to pursue, then you can get a sex scene. While moving the decision to the end of Chapter 4 isn't perfect and there are still some underlying issues, I think it's far better than how it's currently set out. I still think there needs to be more time/chapters, especially to develop some interpersonal conflict, competition and jealousy between the love interests (and James), but okay for Drifty's planned eight chapter length budget.

While it's not as a big deal, I also find the forced choices and passage of time also annoying. Yeah I know devs have to limit choices and can't explore every combination of choices, it does at times feel really artificial. At the start of Chapter 4, there's no real reason James can't do more than one of the options. There's no real reason James can't text Steph (it takes like 5 minutes) then go visit Lexi. Robin's and Kira's conversation seems like in only takes ten minutes. The only two that seem like they take any substantial length of time is Cece and Lexi's choices (but James always has time to visit Linda after?).

The passage of time during Chapter 4's "party" section also confused me. It's one of those cases where I can't tell if I'm just an inattentive idiot, or it was poorly communicated to the player. Initially I thought the whole party sequence takes place over one night/two days - Lexi's song showing a flashforward. This is probably because I was first on Lexi's path where they say they would have a date tomorrow, so I took it at its word that the date was the next day? Then I though maybe the party sequence takes place over a few days (no more than a week). Now I see here on this thread people saying the time skip is a few weeks, which is why Cece has a tan? I'm really not sure what the passage of time is meant to be. If it is meant to be more than a few days, than it raises the issue of why James fails to spend more time having deeper and meaningful conversations with people other than his chosen love interest (and Linda I guess). Also don't Chris and Kira have jobs to go to? Like at Chapter 4 end summary screen, it says about Kira and Robin "In fact, you've dismissed both of them completely. They are completely ok with being just your friend". So over possible weeks we're at Lexi's, we don't get a single other opportunity to talk to them about being a couple/throuple, other than the very first night? Even with both of them being pretty into it? Like why not?!?

The weird, inconsistent passage of time really confuses the narrative. I'm left feeling like Chapter 4 is incomplete, even though it's meant to be finished and is by far the largest and most extensive of the chapters.

Most of the other issues I have with Chapter 4 have already been well articulated by ename144 in this good post.

Anyway enough from me. I've been really critical but I have to reiterate even with my complaining, this game is really fucking good.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hi DriftyGames

A while back I made that long form post both praising the game and offering my constructive criticism for the game.

Having just played the most recent chapter, and the revelation that LoF is a deeply personal story, I realise in retrospect that my criticism is pretty hollow, and misses the meaning and intent behind the creation of LoF and its story.

For that reason I wish to apologise for that post.

Leap of Faith remains a fantastic story, and I look forward to its completion.

Misosoc

Sep 28, 2020
I have 3 paths running of Cece, Linda and Lexi. I am able to get Cece path to move into chapter 5.

Linda and Lexi paths are stuck at chapter 4. Once the cut scene with maybe MC dad goes, I end chapter end screen, I hit continue but nothing and the game takes me back to main menu.

Is this a big, my game, or can someone direct me to getting these 2 other paths moving past chapter 4?

xinkala

Bonk
Game Developer
Nov 26, 2020
I have 3 paths running of Cece, Linda and Lexi. I am able to get Cece path to move into chapter 5.

Linda and Lexi paths are stuck at chapter 4. Once the cut scene with maybe MC dad goes, I end chapter end screen, I hit continue but nothing and the game takes me back to main menu.

Is this a big, my game, or can someone direct me to getting these 2 other paths moving past chapter 4?
can you give me cece path saves?

Hellkinglucifer

Apr 29, 2020
I'm getting really annoyed with Linda storyline. 1st it was the she loved you all her life but you never did and then had to watch you fall in love with Steph. Then came the did he or didn't he rape her thing with matt looming in the background now we have is she a stripper or something.

Misosoc

Sep 28, 2020
This is an extremely moving story. This is just my opinion but it touches home. If Drifty is the "dad" who jas a story to tell.... My heart goes out to you brother. Not all stories have happy endings And life is not all rainbows and roses. They is always darkness in all of our lives and it just hurts when it comes home.

Please finish this story strong even though one story line might not be able to continue.

No parent should ever have to put their child in the ground. For anyone who has, many thoughts And prayers to you. Always say goodbye and love those closest to you, you never know when they will be called away.....

LostGhost

May 16, 2021
This is an extremely moving story. This is just my opinion but it touches home. If Drifty is the "dad" who jas a story to tell.... My heart goes out to you brother. Not all stories have happy endings And life is not all rainbows and roses. They is always darkness in all of our lives and it just hurts when it comes home.

Please finish this story strong even though one story line might not be able to continue.

No parent should ever have to put their child in the ground. For anyone who has, many thoughts And prayers to you. Always say goodbye and love those closest to you, you never know when they will be called away.....
Dude it's just a game

Misosoc

Sep 28, 2020
Dude it's just a game
You do realize many authers write what they know right? Sometimes it's all made up and other times it's their real experience. Books, movies, music etc also have meaning that affect those who listen, read and or watch them. Comedies make a person laugh, horror makes you afraid, drama can make you feel other things as well.

If you are able to make your audience feel the emotion you were aiming for, then you have succeeded.

It is just a game but I have a feeling it is more than just that for Drifty.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Yeah .. welcome to the limbo of life .. gaming style:

You got friends, yet you are alone:
Going out to town you still get bullied by your long time no bulying bully.

You grow up, yet you are still bullied:
Going out to town and have your friends get to be cannon fodder
4 your bully .. you sure are a real pal serving them your pain, no?

You go out with your bullied friends:
Same bully shows up and low and behold - everyone gets bullied again.

When will it ever end?
Is that your only strategy?
Running away from the same bully all your life?

Yamura

Mar 14, 2019
With all the current angst regarding Cece’s plot development I almost hesitate to ask, but does anyone know if dev intends that Holly may end up a viable love interest, or only possibly in connection with Lexi?

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
If Drifty is the "dad" who jas a story to tell....
Yes he is.

Am I dead? Probably not
Coming soon? I think just about everybody here agrees with me that it's not soon enough.

With all the current angst regarding Cece’s plot development I almost hesitate to ask, but does anyone know if dev intends that Holly may end up a viable love interest, or only possibly in connection with Lexi?
IIRC she's supposed to be a possible solo LI but her path winds thru the Lexi-share 3-way on the yacht.

LostGhost

May 16, 2021
W
You do realize many authers write what they know right? Sometimes it's all made up and other times it's their real experience. Books, movies, music etc also have meaning that affect those who listen, read and or watch them. Comedies make a person laugh, horror makes you afraid, drama can make you feel other things as well.

If you are able to make your audience feel the emotion you were aiming for, then you have succeeded.

It is just a game but I have a feeling it is more than just that for Drifty.
What I'm saying is it's a game and yeah author written and he can do miracles just wait I should've written in detail

• Angry
Reactions: mlpoknbhuyg
Aug 24, 2019
I've often said in some other threads that those who complain about a game should try and make one themselves before complaining.
I wouldn't say its a problem of people not knowing how hard it is to make a game, its just most people here have the mindset of 12 year olds.
I never agreed with the "you can't critizice something you never tried to make yourself", it always felt like a lazy defense for me. I'm not gonna defend the brainlets but please, stop using the "then make it yourself" line.

Aweful

Jan 11, 2020
I don't have an older version of the game. What's another fix for the missing/corrupted files?

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I wouldn't say its a problem of people not knowing how hard it is to make a game, its just most people here have the mindset of 12 year olds.
I never agreed with the "you can't critizice something you never tried to make yourself", it always felt like a lazy defense for me. I'm not gonna defend the brainlets but please, stop using the "then make it yourself" line.
At its base these games are a large to massive combination of images and software. Yes the engines take care of a huge percentage of the software issues, but what is left is still incredibly daunting. Writing is independent of all the coding. So the writing is always open for criticism. Most of the rest, render quality, bug issues, etc, are certainly open to "then make it yourself", with the following caveat. It's always fair to compare the technical quality of one game to another. Especially if you contrast games from developers with comparable resources.

Good writing can save a pretty rough implementation, but the best tech ever can't save a crappy story.

Lucifer10051997

Jun 12, 2020
View attachment 665355

Overview:
You awake one day, realizing there's much more to life than it currently offers you. Having spent 2 years sulking over lost love, you finally move forward to pursue a different life. Which, through choices and opportunities, will lead you down a path you never thought possible.​

Thread Updated: 2021-09-03
Release Date: 2021-09-03
Developer: DriftyGames - - -
Censored: No
Version: Ch.6 v0.6.1c
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Codes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - MEGA - -
Mac: - MEGA - -

Others: COMPRESSED* - ANDROID*

Update only:
Win/Linux:
- MEGA - -

Extras: Fan Walkthrough - IN-GAME MOD* -
Fan Sig #1 - Fan Sig #2

*This unofficial port/version is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 742692 View attachment 742693 View attachment 742694 View attachment 742695 View attachment 742696 View attachment 742697 View attachment 742698 View attachment 742699 View attachment 742700 View attachment 742701

Best game. I ever played in my life. Story is so beautiful and heart touching. And songs are perfect for every scene. I love you dev. And thanks for this beautiful game. lots of blessings to you. I hope you get every success in your life. Thank you so much for this game. Love You!
View attachment 665355

Overview:
You awake one day, realizing there's much more to life than it currently offers you. Having spent 2 years sulking over lost love, you finally move forward to pursue a different life. Which, through choices and opportunities, will lead you down a path you never thought possible.​

Thread Updated: 2021-09-03
Release Date: 2021-09-03
Developer: DriftyGames - - -
Censored: No
Version: Ch.6 v0.6.1c
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Codes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - MEGA - -

Others: COMPRESSED* - ANDROID*

Update only:
Win/Linux:
- MEGA - -

Extras: Fan Walkthrough - IN-GAME MOD* -
Fan Sig #1 - Fan Sig #2

*This unofficial port/version is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 742692 View attachment 742693 View attachment 742694 View attachment 742695 View attachment 742696 View attachment 742697 View attachment 742698 View attachment 742699 View attachment 742700 View attachment 742701
Best game. I ever played in my life. Story is so beautiful and heart touching. And songs are perfect for every scene. I love you dev. And thanks for this beautiful game. lots of blessings to you. I hope you get every success in your life. Thank you so much for this game. Love You!

Reactions: VOYEUR
May 8, 2018

I hope you enjoyed the Chapter 7 sneak peek video. I saw that there was some confusion about the last chapter's ending and decided to push towards getting the sneak peek out early to clarify some things.

Other than that, I've been focusing on getting a good start to the chapter 7 development by both rendering and scripting the prologue to the point where it's fully completed. I always enjoy doing the prologue as it's a straight forward kinetic scene, independent of choices, phone and other things.

Render numbers for now are 106 story renders and 1,306 animated frames. I'm looking forward to the scenes I'm about to start. It's been a lot of Cece renders lately, but now it's time to bring in the rest of the girls. Hopefully it's another week of good progress ahead.

Have a nice weekend, and stay safe out there.

Yamura

Mar 14, 2019
I am getting the following error when trying to open the latest (full) update:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Before loading the script.
Exception: Couldn't find file 'image04.rpi'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\NEWPC\Downloads\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 316, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\NEWPC\Downloads\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\renpy\main.py", line 357, in main
renpy.loader.index_archives()
File "C:\Users\NEWPC\Downloads\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\renpy\loader.py", line 164, in index_archives
fn = transfn(prefix + ".rpi")
File "C:\Users\NEWPC\Downloads\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\LeapofFaith-0.6.1c-pc\renpy\loader.py", line 649, in transfn
raise Exception("Couldn't find file '%s'." % name)
Exception: Couldn't find file 'image04.rpi'.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606

Fri Sep 17 10:54:01 2021

4.80 star(s) 560 Votes