4.80 star(s) 102 Votes

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
It's done very well imo. I'm sure there is probably mistakes, but for an amateur like me, I don't see them. :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't call them mistakes per se, the dev has actual legal background so he knows what it's really like. It's like with TV shows... they can be realistic up to a point, but you shouldn't replicate irl stuff for entertainment purposes because it will get real boring then :ROFLMAO:

Antherak

Aug 20, 2020
Hey there!

I found this game a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try yesterday and while browsing the forum, i decided why not give my impressions. I am a blind run first play kinda guy with a 2nd play using a walkthrough to maximize the girl i want an ending with. Looking at the banner beforehand, i had decided i'd go for Jamie as the model looked nice, in middle pack i had Agavni and Malena, and in the not interested i had Emmeline.

I love that there seems to only have 4 main girls. Too many is always an issue in VN's. My prefered type of game is 5 or less LI's with single LI endings. Also, when there is too many LI's, the developers always end up bringing new ones later in the story and for me, after picking one early on to focus on, it kinda makes it that those late LI's will never be picked by me. Why would i play a no-one route for what can be multiple updates over the course of many years just in case someone may appear? Maybe after the game is completed and you know the story you can make a route for that girl, but before then, i makes no sense. I still play harem games too, but i prefer a game that focus on more developments between the MC and the LI as opposed to constant fuckfests where the MC's inevitably massively oversized magical dick have all the girls throw themselves at you on the first contact. Harems need more light-hearted stories and for me fit more in the anime type-ish VN's as usually they all try to include all the most common tropes, like the 28yr old bombshell model that is a shy virgin waiting for the MC.

Story: Actually interesting story that is more unique than the traditional VN. It is not often that you have a MC that is older than 23 and has a well established career. The military side of discorvering clues is also good. Why do u have a feeling that everyone is related and the dad is involved into a lot of those killings. I didn't like the part where you have to input a keyboard phrase in the investigation. It is way too restrictive and takes out of the experience. I would have preferred something like 4 choices and you pick one. Yes, people will reload to get the right answer, but they will already look for it anyways. For me, i "had" one right (after i looked) but it was wrong in game as i made a typo and it wasn't worded exactly as needed.

Characters:
Agavni: I started her mid pack with the banner, but going through the game, she didn't appeal to me and i will not have a route with her.

Jamie: I liked her and tried to get her, but it seems that whatever i do to be with her and please her, she cries and say to the guy at the movies i don't show any interest. Also i find she was acting a bit infantile so while i'm still going after her, she dropped to no2.

Emmeline: From the start she didn't appeal to me model wise. After meeting her in game, i only found her meh. Will stay friends but nothing more. Hope i can in future chapters put the scumbag from the wedding in jail for a long time. I went out of my way to her Agavni on her cold case, she can return the favor to help me with him.

Malena: Found her model mid at first, but meeting her was fun and i liked her personality. I'm not opposed to the girls that needs fixing, unless it takes 14 chapters of enduring being rejected or massive slow burn, then its too much. I dont want to play a fix it simulator for 5 years, but if the issues get touched then are included in the development without them being the main focus, i dont mind. She's the main girl i will pick for my WT run.

Others: I like that it's not just static and also develops the NPC's. Having the option for setting a double date was nice. Also, since it sems the MC was more or less a man whore with all the girls from his office, it adds worldbuilding to some scenes to have him interact, as long as it's not a constant reoccurance every chapter. Im also curious about the sister and the foundation as well as the guy in jail. I have speculations and i cant wait to see where those stories also go.

After i finished my run, i went and browsed the guide and found it surpriseing that the slightest wrong answer closes LI's paths. For me, it is way too restrictive and i agree with what i've read in this forum. One wrong choice should'nt close a path. Good answers should give points, and if you don't meet the points requirements, certain choices should be grayed so you can only pick the "friends" choices, making it more natural. As an example, i think it's not good design that the alsmost first choice of the game, looking or not at Emmeline closes her path right away. For her, i would have looking at her and liking kids each be 1 point and at the bar, if you have like X she write you off but if you have Y then you have the path where Malena backs off. It leaves more room for developments. Maybe the MC can be convinced later on to have kids, etc. Unless the game will only be like 5 chapters, then it's less of an issue. Any idea on how many chapters are planned for a complete story?

As of now on my blind run, i'm going after both Jamie and Malena as best as i can and won't start a second run for a while, as i dont see the necessity as there is only 3 chapters done and not enough to distinguish and path forking yet. Pretty good game and waiting for more.

Last edited:

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
Hey there!

I found this game a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try yesterday and while browsing the forum, i decided why not give my impressions. I am a blind run first play kinda guy with a 2nd play using a walkthrough to maximize the girl i want an ending with. Looking at the banner beforehand, i had decided i'd go for Jamie as the model looked nice, in middle pack i had Agavni and Malena, and in the not interested i had Emmeline.

I love that there seems to only have 4 main girls. Too many is always an issue in VN's. My prefered type of game is 5 or less LI's with single LI endings. Also, when there is too many LI's, the developers always end up bringing new ones later in the story and for me, after picking one early on to focus on, it kinda makes it that those late LI's will never be picked by me. Why would i play a no-one route for what can be multiple updates over the course of many years just in case someone may appear? Maybe after the game is completed and you know the story you can make a route for that girl, but before then, i makes no sense. I still play harem games too, but i prefer a game that focus on more developments between the MC and the LI as opposed to constant fuckfests where the MC's inevitably massively oversized magical dick have all the girls throw themselves at you on the first contact. Harems need more light-hearted stories and for me fit more in the anime type-ish VN's as usually they all try to include all the most common tropes, like the 28yr old bombshell model that is a shy virgin waiting for the MC.

Story: Actually interesting story that is more unique than the traditional VN. It is not often that you have a MC that is older than 23 and has a well established career. The military side of discorvering clues is also good. Why do u have a feeling that everyone is related and the dad is involved into a lot of those killings. I didn't like the part where you have to input a keyboard phrase in the investigation. It is way too restrictive and takes out of the experience. I would have preferred something like 4 choices and you pick one. Yes, people will reload to get the right answer, but they will already look for it anyways. For me, i "had" one right (after i looked) but it was wrong in game as i made a typo and it wasn't worded exactly as needed.

Characters:
Agavni: I started her mid pack with the banner, but going through the game, she didn't appeal to me and i will not have a route with her.

Jamie: I liked her and tried to get her, but it seems that whatever i do to be with her and please her, she cries and say to the guy at the movies i don't show any interest. Also i find she was acting a bit infantile so while i'm still going after her, she dropped to no2.

Emmeline: From the start she didn't appeal to me model wise. After meeting her in game, i only found her meh. Will stay friends but nothing more. Hope i can in future chapters put the scumbag from the wedding in jail for a long time. I went out of my way to her Agavni on her cold case, she can return the favor to help me with him.

Malena: Found her model mid at first, but meeting her was fun and i liked her personality. I'm not opposed to the girls that needs fixing, unless it takes 14 chapters of enduring being rejected or massive slow burn, then its too much. I dont want to play a fix it simulator for 5 years, but if the issues get touched then are included in the development without them being the main focus, i dont mind. She's the main girl i will pick for my WT run.

Others: I like that it's not just static and also develops the NPC's. Having the option for setting a double date was nice. Also, since it sems the MC was more or less a man whore with all the girls from his office, it adds worldbuilding to some scenes to have him interact, as long as it's not a constant reoccurance every chapter. Im also curious about the sister and the foundation as well as the guy in jail. I have speculations and i cant wait to see where those stories also go.

After i finished my run, i went and browsed the guide and found it surpriseing that the slightest wrong answer closes LI's paths. For me, it is way too restrictive and i agree with what i've read in this forum. One wrong choice should'nt close a path. Good answers should give points, and if you don't meet the points requirements, certain choices should be grayed so you can only pick the "friends" choices, making it more natural. As an example, i think it's not good design that the alsmost first choice of the game, looking or not at Emmeline closes her path right away. For her, i would have looking at her and liking kids each be 1 point and at the bar, if you have like X she write you off but if you have Y then you have the path where Malena backs off. It leaves more room for developments. Maybe the MC can be convinced later on to have kids, etc. Unless the game will only be like 5 chapters, then it's less of an issue. Any idea on how many chapters are planned for a complete story?

As of now on my blind run, i'm going after both Jamie and Malena as best as i can and won't start a second run for a while, as i dont see the necessity as there is only 3 chapters done and not enough to distinguish and path forking yet. Pretty good game and waiting for more.
Malena is my main play too, but I'm also doing a Jamie & Emme as well. So I have already had to split paths, because couldn't do Malena & Emme together already.

I can't remember if my memory is 100% that I read it (or maybe I just imagined it), but I was under the impression if you pursued more than 1 LI, it would bite you in the ass.

There will be 8 episodes all up according to Impious (4 & 5 as they are done, with 6-8 pretty close together).

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
top three in my mind,Jamie's cute,I'll buy a copy of the support DEV on Steam,I hope the final version can be translated into Chinese,LOVE DEV.
Thank you, glad you're enjoying it. I am hoping to pay for some translations when the game is finished, but I can't make any promises about which languages at the moment.

Reactions: VOYEUR

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022

I hope my supporters won't mind, but this will be a public journal also posted on Steam and Itch to give a progress update for everyone who has purchased the game.
There is still quite a bit of work left to be done on Episode Four. At this time I've posed, rendered, and done post-work on roughly 1,450 still renders. I've been working on Episode Four for almost six months (since the end of February, 26 weeks ago) for an average of 55 renders per week. That's not as much as I would like, but there is good progress being made. I've also set up the episode's first lewd scene and I'm just waiting for the animator to get time in his schedule to pose the animations.
Please keep in mind that I work on this game in my spare time--I have a full-time career and other personal responsibilities as well. In case you are wondering if I'm making enough money to quit my job and do game dev full-time, the answer is that Leaving DNA will never be successful enough for me to do that. It's a niche AVN with limited appeal, and frankly I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and already have a good career, so quitting my job to work on this full-time isn't realistic.
If you're wondering about the financial success of the game, I've sold about 8,500 copies of the game on Steam and Itch and I've had Patreon and SubscribeStar pages up for two years. After those businesses take their cut, I've grossed about $7,500 from Patreon and SubscribeStar and about $52,000 from Steam and Itch. After subtracting state and federal taxes and my own financial investment in the game, including two high-powered desktop computers, thousands of dollars worth of 3D assets, paying the animator, and other smaller costs like an Adobe subscription, music rights, and energy bills, that number whittles away pretty fast. My best estimate is that I've probably profited maybe $10K at this point.
So, $10K so far for over two and a half years worth of work, which generally takes place at night after I'm already exhausted from my full time job and on weekends. Based on the thousands of hours I've put into the game, that probably works out to something like getting paid $2-an-hour for my work. And I live in Los Angeles where $2-an-hour isn't jack shit. This isn't me complaining--on the contrary, I didn't make Leaving DNA because I thought it would make me money, I made it because I wanted to tell a story. Any money I've made has been a happy bonus, and overall I've been very pleased with the community's response to the game.
I bring these numbers up first to emphasize that quitting my job to work on this game full-time isn't realistic. Even with the advanced progress I could make on the game by working on it full-time Leaving DNA just won't ever sell as well as some other AVN's, and I could never come close to a sufficient income replacement to quit my job.
The other reason I bring it up is because some dumbass a few weeks ago called me a milker. Comments like that are based on a lack of knowledge and incorrect assumptions, so I'm putting these numbers out there to establish a few facts.
I promise you there is no person on Earth more motivated and eager for Leaving DNA to be finished than me. I want very much to finish telling this story and to share it with everyone who has supported me over this period. When I started working on the game, I thought it would be a two-year project. It has been very disappointing to me that the game has taken as long as it has, but I remain very motivated to complete it. Progress is not as fast as I would like, but quitting this project has never entered my mind.
I am very aware and appreciative of everyone who has pledged ongoing support on Patreon and SubscribeStar, and of everyone who has purchased the game outright on Steam and Itch. You have my word that I am still working hard on the game every day. I do give weekly updates to my Patreon/SS supporters and I can always be reached easily through Discord or email. No one should ever worry that progress on the game has halted or that I have stopped communicating about what I'm up to.
As I said, there are approximately 1,450 renders finished so far for Episode Four. By comparison, Episode One contained 1,705 renders (and took nine months to publish), Episode Two contained 2,536 renders (nine months to publish), and Episode Three contained 1,895 renders (seven months to publish). I can't tell you exactly how much more work there is left for Episode Four, but I believe I am past the halfway mark. However, work on Episode Four will continue for a period of months.
Thank you for your support, your understanding, and your patience.

--The Impious Monk

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022

I hope my supporters won't mind, but this will be a public journal also posted on Steam and Itch to give a progress update for everyone who has purchased the game.
There is still quite a bit of work left to be done on Episode Four. At this time I've posed, rendered, and done post-work on roughly 1,450 still renders. I've been working on Episode Four for almost six months (since the end of February, 26 weeks ago) for an average of 55 renders per week. That's not as much as I would like, but there is good progress being made. I've also set up the episode's first lewd scene and I'm just waiting for the animator to get time in his schedule to pose the animations.
Please keep in mind that I work on this game in my spare time--I have a full-time career and other personal responsibilities as well. In case you are wondering if I'm making enough money to quit my job and do game dev full-time, the answer is that Leaving DNA will never be successful enough for me to do that. It's a niche AVN with limited appeal, and frankly I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and already have a good career, so quitting my job to work on this full-time isn't realistic.
If you're wondering about the financial success of the game, I've sold about 8,500 copies of the game on Steam and Itch and I've had Patreon and SubscribeStar pages up for two years. After those businesses take their cut, I've grossed about $7,500 from Patreon and SubscribeStar and about $52,000 from Steam and Itch. After subtracting state and federal taxes and my own financial investment in the game, including two high-powered desktop computers, thousands of dollars worth of 3D assets, paying the animator, and other smaller costs like an Adobe subscription, music rights, and energy bills, that number whittles away pretty fast. My best estimate is that I've probably profited maybe $10K at this point.
So, $10K so far for over two and a half years worth of work, which generally takes place at night after I'm already exhausted from my full time job and on weekends. Based on the thousands of hours I've put into the game, that probably works out to something like getting paid $2-an-hour for my work. And I live in Los Angeles where $2-an-hour isn't jack shit. This isn't me complaining--on the contrary, I didn't make Leaving DNA because I thought it would make me money, I made it because I wanted to tell a story. Any money I've made has been a happy bonus, and overall I've been very pleased with the community's response to the game.
I bring these numbers up first to emphasize that quitting my job to work on this game full-time isn't realistic. Even with the advanced progress I could make on the game by working on it full-time Leaving DNA just won't ever sell as well as some other AVN's, and I could never come close to a sufficient income replacement to quit my job.
The other reason I bring it up is because some dumbass a few weeks ago called me a milker. Comments like that are based on a lack of knowledge and incorrect assumptions, so I'm putting these numbers out there to establish a few facts.
I promise you there is no person on Earth more motivated and eager for Leaving DNA to be finished than me. I want very much to finish telling this story and to share it with everyone who has supported me over this period. When I started working on the game, I thought it would be a two-year project. It has been very disappointing to me that the game has taken as long as it has, but I remain very motivated to complete it. Progress is not as fast as I would like, but quitting this project has never entered my mind.
I am very aware and appreciative of everyone who has pledged ongoing support on Patreon and SubscribeStar, and of everyone who has purchased the game outright on Steam and Itch. You have my word that I am still working hard on the game every day. I do give weekly updates to my Patreon/SS supporters and I can always be reached easily through Discord or email. No one should ever worry that progress on the game has halted or that I have stopped communicating about what I'm up to.
As I said, there are approximately 1,450 renders finished so far for Episode Four. By comparison, Episode One contained 1,705 renders (and took nine months to publish), Episode Two contained 2,536 renders (nine months to publish), and Episode Three contained 1,895 renders (seven months to publish). I can't tell you exactly how much more work there is left for Episode Four, but I believe I am past the halfway mark. However, work on Episode Four will continue for a period of months.

--The Impious Monk
This shit needs to be posted on the front page of F95, as mandatory reading before posting on any thread.
There are maybe 5% of AVN devs that make enough money to work full-time on developing AVNs, the industry just isn't there yet. The market is tiny, and product takes over 2 years on average to complete - that is, if they get completed.

Being an AVN developer needs to be a passion, full-time or half-time. Otherwise, either the fanbase burns out; or the developer burns out.

I wish nothing but the best to Impious Monk, because Leaving DNA is one of the few story-rich AVNs that I eagerly await an update for, and not for the lewdness but the mystery.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
This shit needs to be posted on the front page of F95, as mandatory reading before posting on any thread.
There are maybe 5% of AVN devs that make enough money to work full-time on developing AVNs, the industry just isn't there yet. The market is tiny, and product takes over 2 years on average to complete - that is, if they get completed.

Being an AVN developer needs to be a passion, full-time or half-time. Otherwise, either the fanbase burns out; or the developer burns out.

I wish nothing but the best to Impious Monk, because Leaving DNA is one of the few story-rich AVNs that I eagerly await an update for, and not for the lewdness but the mystery.
Ikr people always assume devs work full time but it's very rare for that to be the case.

Reactions: Jericho85

BorgiaBou

Jul 24, 2021
And the funny thing about those devs is that are doing this full time...:cautious:

Last edited by a moderator:

John972

Apr 24, 2018

--The Impious Monk
Hey IM,

I think it would be a hoot to let all those random internet users/amateur AVN critics know that you're a high-powered lawyer (with global connections) in real life, AND a really litigious one at that! :giggle: /s

[that's just my response to keyboard losers who call random developers 'milkers' but who have never tried to make an AVN themselves]

Apr 29, 2021
Glad you provided a well rounded context about why you cannot go full time as an AVN Dev Impious Monk . Overall your game has been nothing short of stunning, the genre itself is so fresh and the nuances the writing touches is well impeccable, It clearly shows the passion and meticulous planning you have done, and executing that especially after working at your day job 5 days constantly is a not a piece of cake; being one of the prime reasons why bought and support your game as can clearly see your will to make valuable content. So definitely believe you are on the right track so do persist with that.

Thanks for reading Dev, best wishes for ahead:)

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
hello everyone
sorry for the question
but who wants to start playing this game today, is it enough to download episode 3 which includes the whole story, or do you have to look for part 1; part 2; part 3 ??

sorry maybe it is written in some previous post and I missed it, but being Italian, I could not find anything about it and in the first post the link to the compressed version, leads to the link of the second episode, that's why I ask.

thanks in advance to whoever answers me. have a good day everyone.

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
hello everyone
sorry for the question
but who wants to start playing this game today, is it enough to download episode 3 which includes the whole story, or do you have to look for part 1; part 2; part 3 ??

sorry maybe it is written in some previous post and I missed it, but being Italian, I could not find anything about it and in the first post the link to the compressed version, leads to the link of the second episode, that's why I ask.

All Episodes are included in the Episode 3 download my friend. Welcome, I hope you enjoy it. Most of us loved it.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
hello everyone
sorry for the question

the DL links for episode 3 include the previous episodes as well, don't worry

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Jeeez, Impious Monk has 150 paying supporters (5 hundred bucks monthly) on Patreon. Anyone who tells he's a milker is a fucking idiot.
There is nothing to milk, literally: this is a niche AVN only made because its Author feels he has a story to tell us.

Don't give up, just shrug and move forward with your pace.

4.80 star(s) 102 Votes