ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
The game has felt like a Purgatory at several points throughout its runtime, and that technically would be neither dream nor simulation. That's why the suicidal characters like Makoto and Rin repeatedly find themselves in situations where they're driven to that point - they can't move on until they are able to resolve their problems without taking the easy way out, Miku and Ami likely died in their respective accidents and cannot move on until they've worked through their trauma, etc.
Isn't there a risk though of if this is handled and implemented badly it will go down like a lead balloon in the same way as the ending of LOST did?

• Haha
Reactions: Bingoogus

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Isn't there a risk though of if this is handled and implemented badly it will go down like a lead balloon in the same way as the ending of LOST did?
LOST was somehow a purgatory with absolutely no hints that it was one until it's spoon-fed to the characters in the finale. Better foreshadowing would have prevented that, but I suspect that it was a hastily thrown together explanation for the what-the-fuckery of the show once they decided to wrap it up, and they didn't actually have that in mind early on.

Drew Anderson

Dec 1, 2017
There are at least three instances where Sel has confirmed that:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I don't know if he's changed his mind or contradicted himself or is simply lying here, but I'm convinced of this being the case, as for whether it's a simulation or a dream, I'm not sure, but it's probably more complicated than that.
If it were true, it would explain a lot of the really dumb excuses for the state of the city, him not remembering his name, etc... They are obviously not meant to be plausible. There could be other explanations of course, but I've always felt the "He's dead" or "He's dying" explanation made the most sense. Seems like a minority theory though, haha.

And Sel's changed his mind about a few things about the game, so it's possible he did a retcon there too. Who knows for now.

Angra Shadow

Jun 6, 2023
The game has felt like a Purgatory at several points throughout its runtime, and that technically would be neither dream nor simulation. That's why the suicidal characters like Makoto and Rin repeatedly find themselves in situations where they're driven to that point - they can't move on until they are able to resolve their problems without taking the easy way out, Miku and Ami likely died in their respective accidents and cannot move on until they've worked through their trauma, etc.
That is a cool idea, but I wonder if it will go to the extent of every character being dead or dying and having to come to terms with that. Though imo the one character that cannot be dead or die in the end is Maya, my hypothesis is that the True Ending will be about her continuing to live in the real world and shutting down the wishing well (or at least the Kumon Mi program running in it).

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
LOST was somehow a purgatory with absolutely no hints that it was one until it's spoon-fed to the characters in the finale. Better foreshadowing would have prevented that, but I suspect that it was a hastily thrown together explanation for the what-the-fuckery of the show once they decided to wrap it up, and they didn't actually have that in mind early on.
But the purgatory thing was just an addon after the story was done. It's not supposed to be the explanation for the whole story.
I guess that part was just to stretch the series for another season to earn more money.

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018
This talk of purgatory made me remember Sisyphus hell, where he is forced to roll a boulder up a mountain just to have it roll down and having to restart over, and over.

EpicVN

Mar 1, 2022
I can't trigger Wither event. I can't call Kaori at night on a Saturday. I'm on day 689. I've done all happy events up to XIII "good boy", main event 'Glued to the sky', done all other missions.
The guide said that I need to do Rin event. I found that I missed "I died with you" bc I'm in badhomie route.
Could somebody help me.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
You know, above all else, and in spite of any issues i have with Selly, at least his choice in music for the game is good quality more than 90% of the time. I'm trying out yet another game found on this site, probably well over my thousandth by now and again the curse of cheap as fuck sounding low-fi music kicks in, with it's sterile 'connections' between its instruments, its percussion that sounds like some dude in his kitchen tapping on jars and plates with a butter knife, and the laziest, most cliche, lowest common denominator of beats.

I get that we all have our tastes such that there's no objectively good music in existence and that everyone's taste in music is completely shit in someone else's view, but in terms of actual objectivity, i just detest the low-fi music the majority of smut devs put in their games. If it at least had some quality, some actual blending of the synthetic instruments, some degree of real audible depth to the percussion and at least the occasional 2nd most cliche beat, i'd have no complaint to make and no reason to give props to Selly for what feels like a very low bar to pass... and yet...

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
I can definitely see there being some "Can't move on"/"Can't be fixed" stuff going on.

Both Long Maya and Nao have implied that fixing Sensei seems to be a goal/ideal:
and there's implications that Sensei isn't the only one facing stuff:
So, this might all just be some deranged version of therapy.

Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl

Crazynutso

Sep 13, 2022
Akira almost certainly committed suicide at the beginning... but why? My personal theory is that Ami found out about Maya and Akira and freaked out, died, then Akira killed himself. Then Maya made a deal with God or god or dog and brought them back, but, of course, whenever those kinds of deals are made, it's never as nice as you hope for...

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
My Compressed unofficial Android port of Lessons in Love 0.33.0
Gestures etc included.
Added scrollable textbox
Alternative persistent saves/log location

**Special Instructions:**

Install apk.
Grant storage permissions on first run!
On first run you will get a prompt to copy the archive.rpa file to "documents/Wills747/lessons.in.love/game" folder.
(game will quit now)
Copy the archive.rpa file to the directory indicated in game.
Restart the game.
Keep in mind if your default install location is an actual SD card and slow speed this may slow the launch.

Also, keep the archive.rpa. I'll likely use it for future updates to minimise the apk size.

Other mods can be added to "documents/Wills747/lessons.in.love/game" folder as well
All my ports can use 0x52's URM mod, just drop the RPA file in the same folder

archive.rpa:
Mega

v0.33 APK:
Mega
You will still need the rpa from above zip if you haven't got it.
Updated my Android port to v0.33

Reactions: Scorn.

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Akira almost certainly committed suicide at the beginning... but why? My personal theory is that Ami found out about Maya and Akira and freaked out, died, then Akira killed himself. Then Maya made a deal with God or god or dog and brought them back, but, of course, whenever those kinds of deals are made, it's never as nice as you hope for...
My personal theory at the moment, is that Sensei found out that Maya had been taking advantage of his memory to control him, and he winds up killing himself because of it once he remembers his past. Maya then prays at her shrine for any god to bring him back, and the god there answers. This is the result.

ContraBxss

Jul 2, 2023
Here's translation for secret message written by shapeshifter girl
I couldn't find any here so I just did it for fun
The hexadecimal is under the decode if you want to try yourself

(Note the "0a" in the lines are not in the image, I just put them there since it makes the message cleaner since "0a" is just "begin new line" in hexadecimal)
screenshot0002.png

Also also if anyone is somehow able to read her phone??? I've zoomed in and tried reading but nothing makes sense. I'm assuming it's another code with letters so a cipher is needed. I don't remember which cipher Selebus uses so if anyone could help tyvm :)

Last edited:

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
That is a cool idea, but I wonder if it will go to the extent of every character being dead or dying and having to come to terms with that. Though imo the one character that cannot be dead or die in the end is Maya, my hypothesis is that the True Ending will be about her continuing to live in the real world and shutting down the wishing well (or at least the Kumon Mi program running in it).
If Kumon-mi is a purgatory, I don't think every single character is dead. I think some of the characters are specifically PART of it, they're there to test, tempt, or otherwise challenge those sentenced to it. Nodoka, in particular, feels like she'd be part of that world, rather than someone being subjected to it.

saerav

Jun 8, 2017
My theory is that it wasn't exactly suicide in the traditional terms; it was a bout of hallucinations during which Sensei just stepped off the roof believing he could fly.

• Haha
Reactions: Bingoogus

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
If Kumon-mi is a purgatory, I don't think every single character is dead. I think some of the characters are specifically PART of it, they're there to test, tempt, or otherwise challenge those sentenced to it. Nodoka, in particular, feels like she'd be part of that world, rather than someone being subjected to it.
I can definitely see this applying to Kirin. Ignoring how she was intended to be a side character originally, Yasu has more or less said she only exists when she needs to:
I wouldn't be surprised if this applies to most characters.

I'm thinking "seeing shit" is the biggest hint at a character being "real", though.

Angra Shadow

Jun 6, 2023
My personal theory at the moment, is that Sensei found out that Maya had been taking advantage of his memory to control him, and he winds up killing himself because of it once he remembers his past. Maya then prays at her shrine for any god to bring him back, and the god there answers. This is the result.
Tbh I don't know how I would feel if the story is going in the direction of "Maya abused/manipulated Sensei", my theory has always been that Sensei replicated the abuse and grooming he received from Sekai with Maya and when he eventually realized how much he damaged her life (and possibly some other things like stillbirth being involved) he decided to "undo it all".

Imo it would be very questionable if Sel portrayed a case of a man in his 20s having a relationship with a wizard age girl as anything but Sensei being the abuser.

4.20 star(s) 295 Votes