Apollo259

Sep 27, 2020
I don't know what the relevant literary analysis terms to describe it would be. But he does seem to have us trapped in a cycle that has some parallels to the games narrative. Trapped us in some kind of messed up ARG. Also I finally caught back up on the game/thread so I can re-join the cycle once more.

asdasdad1111122222

Jul 31, 2021
Every time I restart the game, I get an error, which causes me to have to reextract the game folder from the update to fix it - Doing so also deletes my save games.
Is this a bug, or is this the copy protection selebus put in because Im pirating the bonus content? I thought I fixed that, according to the OPs instructions.

Specifically, closing the game causes the script.rpy to be over-written with some byte code

File "game/script.rpy", line 1: expected statement.
79 6F 75 20 77 6F 75 6C 64 6E 27 74 20 64 6F 77 6E 6C 6F 61 64 20 61 20 63 61 72 2E 2E 2E

E: Which, I'm now realising, translates to "y o u w o u l d n ' t d o w n l o a d a c a r . . .".

Also, post #33000 get

Last edited:

k1n5l4y3r

Jun 20, 2018
Every time I restart the game, I get an error, which causes me to have to reextract the game folder from the update to fix it - Doing so also deletes my save games.
Is this a bug, or is this the copy protection selebus put in because Im pirating the bonus content? I thought I fixed that, according to the OPs instructions.
If you installed the care packages you have to substitute the sanitized gui.rpy file after every update.

Reactions: asdasdad1111122222

asdasdad1111122222

Jul 31, 2021
If you installed the care packages you have to substitute the sanitized gui.rpy file after every update.
Confirmed fix - replacing the mangled script.rpy with the one from the update, and replacing the gui.rpy from the OP has indeed solved this. Remember to backup your saves before an update :)

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021

Specifically, closing the game causes the script.rpy to be over-written with some byte code

File "game/script.rpy", line 1: expected statement.
79 6F 75 20 77 6F 75 6C 64 6E 27 74 20 64 6F 77 6E 6C 6F 61 64 20 61 20 63 61 72 2E 2E 2E

E: Which, I'm now realising, translates to "y o u w o u l d n ' t d o w n l o a d a c a r . . .".

Also, post #33000 get
sfv.jpg

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Maybe I am in the minority here but I feel that if the dev is already giving us a version for free the least we can do is respect his wishes and not pirate the stuff he uses as incentive for people to give him the money he needs to continue this project. At least not until it's actually done. If not for honor among thieves than at least out of simple self interest. After all, we want him to actually get this done.

Marie IV

Sep 9, 2023
Maybe I am in the minority here but I feel that if the dev is already giving us a version for free the least we can do is respect his wishes and not pirate the stuff he uses as incentive for people to give him the money he needs to continue this project. At least not until it's actually done. If not for honor among thieves than at least out of simple self interest. After all, we want him to actually get this done.
Piracy is the great equalizer, not a punishment nor an incentive. It doesn't discriminate, have interests or motivations, or judge content by any flawed standard, as a person or business would. It simply exists. In all respects, it serves as a baseline where all artists exist, and thus, all art is equal.

No honor, no self-or-monetary-interests, just free access to information. It's a reminder that everything is created equal, and that qualitative differences are made after the fact. Lessons in Love, like any other work of art, is not immune.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bingoogus

ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
On the one hand you are correct. On the other there is the human nature element of giving a big FU when told they can't/shouldn't do something. Ultimately people are more likely to respect someones wishes if they are polite about it. Unfortunately due to actions and words it can quickly become very antagonistic and a race for each side to constantly one up the other.

Piracy of some sort or other is likely always going to be a problem with any creative endeavour. The effect of it will depend on the engagement with the community. For example, with videogames the introduction of DRM systems encourage a mindset amongst some people of there being a challenge in breaking the DRM which can actually encourage piracy, whereas sometimes the lack of a DRM system can encourage people to actually buy the product if it is worthwhile. I mean there must be a reason why GOG.COM is able to keep running as a business.

Ern The Skáld

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
I legit had my subscription cancelled and got banned from discord, because I posted a preview pic on here. I get not wanting to get your subs-only content pirated, but come on.

Also - after I subbed I downloaded all carepackages and a fresh game from game's website and lost all my saves :HideThePain:

Reactions: grimfate56

Crazynutso

Sep 13, 2022
Personally I think it's outrageous that the dev expects people to wait 2 weeks (or however long it is) to play his free game.

Ern The Skáld

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
Personally I think it's outrageous that the dev expects people to wait 2 weeks (or however long it is) to play his free game.
It's... logical? Release dates are not 1st of every month, it's 15th of every month. Just those who pay can play it earlier. Not everone else can play it later. That's how supporting the creator works? You send them money for their art and get some shit in return? For example - an early access to the content.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Don't get me wrong. Like, I've been pirating games since back when that meant taking polaroids of the paper manual to get the secret answers to the in game DRM question. So I've no problem with piracy in general and no love for DRM.

I just think that overall it's a reasonable thing to not undercut the guys primary means of profit at least until he has finished the product. If nothing else, the guy has to have some incentive to make people actually give him money instead of just playing for free. If he does not than he might just not get enough money for this whole thing to be worth his while and decide that he can spend his skills on making something else that does. And than we're out of a fun product. Of course, once the game is done all bets are off. But that goes without saying. And he'll have made enough money by than that it's fair.

Plus frankly the dev here isn't some faceless corporation like EA that can use some putting down. And as a community we can and should give support to developers by, at the very least, not completely screwing them over before they've had a chance to at least see a reasonable amount of profit or else they'll just dry up and leave us without games to steal.

I think overall the best analogy here is that we should be like parasites and not viruses. We should leach off the host for nutrients but not outright kill it. Because if the host dies we go unfed. And that's just not fun.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 295 Votes