barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
there is a therapy language?
Language might not have been the best word for what I meant, but here's some examples:

"Io has logged in"
"I now open the floor to you, Uta"
"Let out as much as you can, but stop if you get too uncomfortable. Just like they taught us"
"It's okay, you're fine"

Those last two especially. It's the soft, coaxing and comforting things therapists say to help patients get the painful words out.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Ayane was always pretty mid to me as a character. I like her now :KEK:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I laughed at that scene because i thought ayane was projecting so hard on kirin
we still have no reason for why ayane even likes sensei other than he gave her the bare minimum amount of attention to her when everyone else in her life ignored her

Last edited:

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
we still have no reason for why ayane even likes sensei other than he gave her the minimum amount of attention to her when everyone else in her life ignored her
Daddy issues.

You've got Ayane, whose father neglects her and whose mother abandons her, and her best friend Ami, whose UNCLE dotes on her. Sensei is more of a father to Ami than Ayane's own father is to her, and he accepts Ayane into his household on the regular without asking for anything in return -- which to most kids isn't a big deal, it's a thing that most parents do for their kid's friends, but because Ayane has such a low expectation from parents in general, it feels to her like something above and beyond. She's also got the "rich girl" stigma, so she's possibly expecting people to be nice to her with a financial goal in mind, but Sensei's nice to her for years in her formative years, and never seems to expect anything for it.

She starts idealizing him, first as a proxy parent, then as a man. Infatuation sets in when the hormones start to show up in the pre-teen years, and by the time she's in high school that's grown into an unhealthy (and exploitable) obsession.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Daddy issues.

You've got Ayane, whose father neglects her and whose mother abandons her, and her best friend Ami, whose UNCLE dotes on her. Sensei is more of a father to Ami than Ayane's own father is to her, and he accepts Ayane into his household on the regular without asking for anything in return -- which to most kids isn't a big deal, it's a thing that most parents do for their kid's friends, but because Ayane has such a low expectation from parents in general, it feels to her like something above and beyond. She's also got the "rich girl" stigma, so she's possibly expecting people to be nice to her with a financial goal in mind, but Sensei's nice to her for years in her formative years, and never seems to expect anything for it.

She starts idealizing him, first as a proxy parent, then as a man. Infatuation sets in when the hormones start to show up in the pre-teen years, and by the time she's in high school that's grown into an unhealthy (and exploitable) obsession.
yeah i mean, i get that. thats pretty much the only reason we got
but there seems to be no other reason than "he gives me attention"
which is why i laughed when the kettle called the pot black in that scene

Reactions: crustlord12

briarjohn

Jul 17, 2018
Same here; much of the remake content to me really seems to be catering solely to the old audience, to fill in what dev considered to be holes in his storytelling. I doubt any new player would have the same shock when they stumble upon their first happy scene because they've played the BREED YOUR NIECE game and known something is really up.

However, I am in fact a fan of having happy theme leaking into normal events. Before that I only need to be en garde during happy time because "I am safe" when I am outside of it, and now you could get caught off guard even during normal time! It's the delusional world corroding the supposedly normal world that gives you the uneasy feeling (but I can totally see people getting desensitized or simply annoyed if all the events just constantly go apeshit and violently flash you with TV static).

Plus, due to the nature of the game, people who got invested WILL start going through happy events with a magnifying glass because that's where all the lore is from. I remembered going through the first few happy events actually having acute mental stress and thinking "no no no what's happening". Now? it's "YAAAAAAAS A HAPPY SCENE!!!!" maybe I'm not playing this game right. When it comes to this, happy events are doomed to be less scary over time and are at best unsettling or just intriguing: in a way, I made them less scary to myself. But hey feeling unsettled alone is enough for me, and having "happy feelings" in normal events really did just that.
For me, the HAPPY SCENES go on a bit too long. I'm just in it for the character development. The happy scenes are just a means to an end...an avenue to explore the more philosophical themes. I can relate to Sensai on a few levels...feeling as if I inevitably hurting the ones I love...suffering from memory loss and a personality shift (I wouldn't recommend having multiple TBIs). Every time I'm completely about to give up on one girl as having any redeeming qualities, he draws me back in. I was damn surprised he made me not completely turned off by Nodoka.

I know Sensai will be breaking someone's heart, but I love his relationship with almost every character right now. I just hope we get a quality ending or two.

Black Raven

May 4, 2020
I was being hyperbolic, it's too big. :p
Sorry but i need a way to overcompensate for something and i'm too poor to buy a big fucking car (because i give all of my money to a certain dev).

anyways that incomprehsible meme (besides its other failures in the english language) something struck my eye 'ungrateful old lady Big Sel' needs a comma in it or should we refer to sel for all times as ungrateful old lady Big Sel as her title now...
I'm game, that sounds like a blast
maybe the moderators can change 'deleted member xxxxx' to that too... would be a hoot
How about "Ungrateful Old Lady Big Deleted Member 1697433" ? Maybe we can call him UOLBDM1 for short.

Or just "Ungrateful Old Lady Big Del". Actually that might be better.

• Haha
Reactions: Wardtnaci

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
I'd add the fact that she doesn't really hold Sensei being a groomer against him.
well the other reason why she could hate women... could be that she was in 'consensual' relationship with her male abuser and some women in a fit of jealousy ended it by reporting it. dont really see why she would be freaking out about not wanting any sexual contact if that was the case though

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
Io basically gave Uta permission to follow her heart.
Also, Io was a rape or sexual abuse victim? That's the only reason I can think of what could be the reason she can't ever do sexual stuff with the man she loves.
I really think Io was abused by a woman though... I cant really put my finger on it, might be her extreme hate towards women

I always just figured Io was aesexual. There are a lot of people who are aesexual but not aromantic - she wants to cuddle, she wants to do things with him, be around him, but sex just isn't interesting to her. Honestly it's been my read of her for a long time. I figured eventually she'd give in for fear of losing him to someone who *is* sexual.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
I always just figured Io was aesexual. There are a lot of people who are aesexual but not aromantic - she wants to cuddle, she wants to do things with him, be around him, but sex just isn't interesting to her. Honestly it's been my read of her for a long time. I figured eventually she'd give in for fear of losing him to someone who *is* sexual.
But that doesn't explain how she was terrified when Sensei touched her.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
It already progresses at a maddeningly slow pace, I can't imagine having even fewer hints of the real plot.
Yeah, I agree. I'm annoyed by the brag that it has more words than the bible... is that supposed to be impressive? What if you cut out all the superfluous shit? I can appreciate the fact that good writing isn't completely terse, but there's a lot of chaff in the text as well. Brevity is the soul of wit, why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?

And using my previous paragraph as an example, I used way too many words to say "this game has way too much text".

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
Io can be all of that combined, asexual, had been under some type of abuse, socially apathetic for the most part, and self-loathing altogether. Under abusive relationship might be the cause to all the effects we see today, including "Io being Io" the women-hater and getting scared by handsy Sensei (but to be fair Sensei is "acting up" again during that so maybe something else also scares her). However, her past was only heavily implied and essentially not enough was revealed to really figure out the details.

For the most part, her interactions with Sensei give me an IRL little sister vibes more than any character: a little sister that is smart, component, and perceptive enough but displays a little brother complex, gets upset if Sensei isn't "with an approved girl", and currently only wants plutonic affection from him. I think maybe the problem is that she hasn't completely figured out what she wants from her relationship with Sensei, or completely realized what relationship with girls in general means in Sensei's eyes.

She honestly is so difficult for me to read and I mostly just enjoy her complexity from afar (I remembered lengths of posts discussing her personalities at some point but I was and am still too dense to follow; will check them out again later)

I always just figured Io was aesexual. There are a lot of people who are aesexual but not aromantic.
I read it wrong and thought you said aromatic and I was like wait what LOL

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Her reaction when they were cuddling and she suddenly freaked out would imply she is actively sex-averse, which is usually something born from trauma.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Her reaction when they were cuddling and she suddenly freaked out would imply she is actively sex-averse, which is usually something born from trauma.
i mean there is that
and her convo with uta on the beach.
but i pegged her as asexual early then changed my mind quickly based on her peeping habits in the onsen.
It's actually kind of funny this is being brought up. I had an asexual friend in college and he couldn't stand the college group for it, because in his words "it became a support group for sex abuse victims that were traumatized about sex and anyone that was actually asexual was pushed out years ago". apparently its a thing

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
i mean there is that
and her convo with uta on the beach.
but i pegged her as asexual early then changed my mind quickly based on her peeping habits in the onsen.
It's actually kind of funny this is being brought up. I had an asexual friend in college and he couldn't stand the college group for it, because in his words "it became a support group for sex abuse victims that were traumatized about sex and anyone that was actually asexual was pushed out years ago". apparently its a thing
Yeah, asexuality and sex rejection due to trauma overlap a lot, and I don't know if that relationship is causal or coincidental, but in the sample size I have access to, most of our trauma happened so early in life that we didn't have time to experience a normal sex drive.

Io may or may not be asexual, it's hard to tell. Her voyeuristic tendencies don't disqualify that, as aesthetic attraction and physical/sexual attraction are wholly different things. And enjoying watching sex is not the same as enjoying having sex. Asexual voyeur is entirely within the realm of possibility.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Yeah, asexuality and sex rejection due to trauma overlap a lot, and I don't know if that relationship is causal or coincidental
my friend made it sound like its a large group that were traumatized and wanted to be asexual and were not. He never went back to that group because these people were either always talking about sex and their experience with sex negatively like it was getting a root canal or some were openly flirting using body language. from what he said for someone that is actually asexual, sex is like an annoying chore but you don't get anything out of it and if you do it, its for someone else, not for you. guy just wanted a place to go to where he didnt need to be constantly aware of other peoples body language for a few hours a day and can just talk about shit... guy was stupidly good looking too so he got hit on all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bingoogus

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Ayane was always pretty mid to me as a character. I like her now :KEK:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I laughed way too hard at this

we still have no reason for why ayane even likes sensei other than he gave her the bare minimum amount of attention to her when everyone else in her life ignored her
yeah i mean, i get that. thats pretty much the only reason we got
but there seems to be no other reason than "he gives me attention"
which is why i laughed when the kettle called the pot black in that scene
For me, it was more because of what had happened in the beach event, karma. It is as if Ayane finally snapped and told her off, something I love to see in the face of things like what Kirin pulled. I don't see it as projection from Ayane since it was true, not a reflection of her own actions or self, but something Kirin herself was responsible for. If it hadn't been for the way Kirin acts, I could see projection. As far as reasons, yeah, pretty much as you said. Her own family doesn't pay enough attention to her, she has to rely on her butler for it at home and that's not good enough. Plus there's the rich thing as
barglenarglezous said, which no doubt gets her unwanted attention in more ways than one, possibly negative attention for being rich from other people around her that are not, probably at least a few looking to exploit that wealth, yet Sensei gives her unconditional attention in a positive way.

For me, the HAPPY SCENES go on a bit too long. I'm just in it for the character development. The happy scenes are just a means to an end...an avenue to explore the more philosophical themes. I can relate to Sensai on a few levels...feeling as if I inevitably hurting the ones I love...suffering from memory loss and a personality shift (I wouldn't recommend having multiple TBIs). Every time I'm completely about to give up on one girl as having any redeeming qualities, he draws me back in. I was damn surprised he made me not completely turned off by Nodoka.

I know Sensai will be breaking someone's heart, but I love his relationship with almost every character right now. I just hope we get a quality ending or two.
The happy scenes are far from a means to an end, this being a Denpa game, they are an important part of the main story. They are starting to blend together in the later story, which with Denpa games is a good sign that we are heading down into the very dark part of the story even if we haven't reached it yet.

Nah, too easy, there's usually more to it in this game if it seems like it could be as simple as that.

But that doesn't explain how she was terrified when Sensei touched her.
I would say androphobia, but she doesn't freak out all that much around him, just at a touch. There's a chance of it being a more subdued case of it, but I am not certain.

Yeah, I agree. I'm annoyed by the brag that it has more words than the bible... is that supposed to be impressive? What if you cut out all the superfluous shit? I can appreciate the fact that good writing isn't completely terse, but there's a lot of chaff in the text as well. Brevity is the soul of wit, why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?

And using my previous paragraph as an example, I used way too many words to say "this game has way too much text".
As a literary work, which VNs can be counted as, yes, it would be impressive.

Reactions: vehemental
4.20 star(s) 295 Votes