Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Illusion had partnered with Fakku for western distribution and rights enforcement, but rights enforcement by proxy is always murky. If Fakku winds up buying the assets, they'll be able to litigate much more cleanly, and based on how they have behaved in the past, I'd be shocked if they didn't go full-bore after everyone.
Oh shit, didn't realise Fakku was involved... fuck... I can just imagine their legal department licking their lips at this closure...
Just crappy RPGM and Daz3D games.
They're not all crap, but yeah, most are.

Reactions: FireCazador

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Oh shit, didn't realise Fakku was involved... fuck... I can just imagine their legal department licking their lips at this closure...
To be clear, I don't know if FAKKU is involved in the closure, or if they're acquiring Illusion's assets. I just know that FAKKU handles western (non-pirated) distribution of KK and Honey Select.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
To be clear, I don't know if FAKKU is involved in the closure, or if they're acquiring Illusion's assets. I just know that FAKKU handles western (non-pirated) distribution of KK and Honey Select.
Naw i understood you man, but Fakku are a cancer and i can easily see them eyeing the IP up in full so, for me at least, the water is even murkier now that i know this particular species of scum is presently growing in the pond.

Reactions: FireCazador

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
So does this mean the future of LiL is in jeopardy?
Potentially. It's going to depend on who gets the assets and how much they care about little guys, because literally all the creators using KK/HS are just that -- little guys. The amount that could be collected by pursuing damages is probably less than the cost of pursuing them. Nintendo's super litigious about their IP, but they also have piles of cash to burn on being petty. Most companies don't, and most companies that exclusively deal in morally dubious sexual content generally want to minimize their exposure to the courts to begin with.

And if they go after the bigger hitters like Selebus and Runey, but not the small fish, lawyers can have a field day about "selective enforcement"

There's also the fact that Fakku's been handling western distribution and rights enforcement since 2019, and has yet to pursue action despite a strongly-worded open letter saying they would. It's been 4 years with no real action taken.

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021
Lmao I'm not surprised, I came here to see how people were reacting to Illusion shutting down and the usual suspects are licking their lips fantasising about how this could lead to LiL shutting down.
I don't think anybody here is "licking their lips fantasizing about how this could lead to LiL shutting down", we are all clearly fans of the game and I think we all want to see how it ends. People here are speculating about what may happen. I will say I find it hard to feel sorry for a hypocrite but I still want the game to continue.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Lmao I'm not surprised, I came here to see how people were reacting to Illusion shutting down and the usual suspects are licking their lips fantasising about how this could lead to LiL shutting down.
Nor am I, but this is about a whole lot more than LiL at this point, an entire market is endangered by potentially litigation happy elements. I honestly couldn't care less about the rest of the market as all the games outside of LiL I have followed are either done (Once In a Lifetime by Caribdis), abandoned (There's a long list on this one), or I dropped them for one reason or another (Harem Hotel by Runey), I just want to see LiL get to its planned developmental conclusion.

Reactions: ComplexOne2

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Some people after hearing about this Illusion stuff:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Others:
Even more others:
Then there's me:

Honestly, considering the whole Patreon fiasco and how deadset Selebus seems to be on this game, I don't really think even losing Koikatsu will end this game. It'll definitely make things far more messy, and time consuming though.

Just imagine Kaori in Daz or a Blender made Koikatsu inspired version of the characters. Of course, this is me being optimistically out of character, so, who knows.

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
I don't really think even losing Koikatsu will end this game.
Hol' up!

Can someone explain to me what this "losing Koikatsu" is?

Usually, just cause a software goes bankrupt doesn't mean all their software becomes unable to use. I mean, sure, you won't be able to buy new copies of the game anymore. And there will be no more updates, which means your existing copy will need to be run by an emulator after it becomes uncompatible with the mainstream computer system 50 years from now .

But assuming Selebus bought Koikatsu, couldn't he just keep on using it for the time being? Or even download it from F95zone, worse case scenerio?

And since Illusion is busted and no company's apparently going to be buying them, isn't the possiblility of someone suing Selebus for using Koikatsu still at virtually 0%

Reactions: Black Raven

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021
Some people after hearing about this Illusion stuff:
Others:
Even more others:
Then there's me:

Honestly, considering the whole Patreon fiasco and how deadset Selebus seems to be on this game, I don't really think even losing Koikatsu will end this game. It'll definitely make things far more messy, and time consuming though.

Just imagine Kaori in Daz or a Blender made Koikatsu inspired version of the characters. Of course, this is me being optimistically out of character, so, who knows.
He could probably just hire an artist to draw the scenes if it came to it

Reactions: DeSkel15

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Hol' up!

Usually, just cause a software goes bankrupt doesn't mean all their software becomes unable to use. I mean, sure, you won't be able to buy new copies of the game anymore. And there will be no more updates, which means your existing copy will need to be run by an emulator after it becomes uncompatible with the mainstream computer system 50 years from now .

But assuming Selebus bought Koikatsu, couldn't he just keep on using it for the time being? Or even download it from F95zone, worse case scenerio?

And since Illusion is busted and no company's apparently going to be buying them, isn't the possiblility of someone suing Selebus for using Koikatsu still at virtually 0%
Presumably someone could buy up the rights to Koikatsu, then just go around suing anyone using it commercially or just go around bullying those who use it until they are forced to stop.

Selebus actually losing Koikatsu is more of a worst end scenario. I still think, even then, it wouldn't kill LiL.

It is quite possible that nothing happens and Selebus gets even more freedom to do what they want though.

Of course the actual legal stuff is more of an assumption by me. I'm not a lawyer.

Reactions: crustlord12

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Hol' up!

"losing Koikatsu" is a bit dramatic. Barring some absurd DRM lost media bullshit on Illusion's part that somehow breaks every copy of their games (highly unlikely) the toolset should continue to function.

When a company shuts down, it's very rare that they just turn out the lights, lock the doors, and shut down. There's usually a sell-off of assets to cover final debts, liabilities, and taxes. Nobody was interested in buying them outright, but individual assets may still have value.

It's just a question of "who buys what". If it's another eroge studio in Japan, odds are good nothing of value happens outside of Japan, because noen of those studios exist as legal entities outside of the country to my knowledge. If those rights are bought by an international hentai distributor like Fakku, however, all bets are off, because they're slimy litigious greaseballs.

In the short term, it will be business as usual. Depending on who acquires the rights, we might see some action down the line -- but I'll be perfectly honest, considering that Illusion is primarily shutting down because of what they considered excessive piracy, odds are good that the distribution rights aren't going to be considered to be worth much, which makes legal action a highly unlikely scenario.

The only real concern is copyright trolling. This is the exact kind of market that copyright trolls love, and if they get their hands on the rights, they'll go after pretty much everyone. Whether they're successful will depend largely on whether their targets can afford to fight back or not.

In an absolute worst case scenario, copyright trolls buy the rights, go after all the indie devs using KK/HS, most of them shut down, and the ones who aren't broken by the ordeal remake their game in a new engine using a different toolset. And given that Sel has already endured this nightmare once before with Patreon, he strikes me as being the kind of stubborn cuss who'd do exactly that. He's already said that whenever he starts his next project, it wasn't going to be using KK anyway.

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
Illusion ceasing operation does not mean their games will vanish.
Community around them is too big.
They'll get removed from any official platform like steam though.

What happens to their IP's is something that might become an interesting topic in the future.
Though, they could just take them down with the sinking ship.

The sad thing is mostly that Illusion was a pioneer with their games in the industry.
Without them things would look alot different today.

I hope that what made them make that decision was "only" a financial reason (bad sales) or similar and not something that will hit the industry entirely.

Last edited:

Kitty Hawk

Jul 8, 2020
Idk about this kind of law enforcement in your countries, but in mine if like any western company will try to sue locals the court will show the rights owner a big middle finger. Peppa the pig tried and got fucked over lol

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes