Algorist

Jul 18, 2022
The first time I played through 0.35, the latest update, I did it the night after receiving multiple vaccines. I was in a surreal fever-dream state through the entire night: sore muscles, fuzzy thoughts, headache that feels like pumice looks.

Since it seemed likely to be a reset update, I decided to read LiL, thinking my condition might help to put me in Akira's head. It worked pretty damn well. It felt deeply immersive to be physically dissociating while I viewed the perspective of a man losing his grip on mind and reality.

A memorable moment was the end of the reset puzzle, when we're given our final prompt before escape. Akira can choose to leave the room, or to "Stay here forever". After everything I had read, and with that music on, the latter option had an unbelievably magnetic draw.

I have never been so tempted to take an out. Even reading it again later, that moment feels like a real ending. The story could terminate right there, with Akira an inch away from the rest of his journey, and I somehow would not be dissatisfied.

Beyond my understanding, part of my mind wants to set the story down right there and walk away forever.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Notwithstanding all that, I am thoroughly psyched for the next update.
Wow! First post I've seen of someone describing the exact same sensation I felt seeing that scene... (though it seems you have reacted to it.)

...When you are about to finish the puzzle, setting Smells of Summer as the BGM using the computer and then choosing Stay here forever feels strangely fitting as an ending. It managed to satisfy me somehow. I cannot find a way to exactly put in words what I mean; it feels like... euthanizing Akira. I'll just say: if Selebus stopped making the game this update, seeing that ending, I would have no regrets. Reminded me slightly of the End of Fire ending in Dark Souls 3, my favorite one...

Indeed, LiL could never be finished, and I'd be satisfied still.

Reactions: andreandre2

chronox42

May 1, 2020
Wow! First post I've seen of someone describing the exact same sensation I felt seeing that scene... (though it seems you have reacted to it.)

Indeed, LiL could never be finished, and I'd be satisfied still.
Right, I thought I recalled someone saying the same! I always wait to read the thread until after I've read the update, and I loved seeing the post of yours you quoted because I concurred entirely with your perspective.

Took me a long time to write my own experience out because I only have time to post every so often and I wanted to read the update again while I felt normal, to make sure the effect was similar. It's good to know multiple people shared that feeling.

Just as you say, I now feel entirely at peace about the future of Lessons in Love. No matter what happens, for better or worse, I know there exists a path where it all ended already.

But after I pushed through the call of oblivion and chose to escape, Paper City only deepened that surreal mix of melancholy and contentment which Times New Roman fomented. The feeling I got from those scenes will stay with me for as long as LiL runs, and probably beyond. It's the deepest, most enigmatic impression this story has yet left me.

never.png

Reactions: Algorist

xNezzen

Jan 1, 2022
I wrote a small mod that lets you skip the affection/lust point grind without having to go through the tedium of typing in cheat codes or having your save labelled with the cheater flag. Features:
  • Sets all girls' affection and lust points to a value X unless they were already higher than X
  • Can set a specific girl's love/lust points
  • Written to be future-proof (i.e. will automatically work for any new girls, you will never need to update the mod)
  • Enables the developer console
Usage Instructions:
  • Download the attached file
    • Note: if you get sent to a new tab with a bunch of text, just right click and hit "Save as" and name it as z_set_love_lust.rpy
  • Move into the game subfolder (found in the folder that you launch Lessons in Love from)
  • Load a save and open the developer console with Shift + O
  • Press Enter a few times until you can see the ">" symbol in the top left of the screen
  • To update all girls' love and lust: type setLoveAndLust(X) and press Enter(for an example, see the image below)
    • Note: X must be an integer (aka whole number)
  • To update a specific girl's love or lust, for example Ami: type "ami_love += X" and/or "ami_lust += X" without the quotation marks and then press Enter.
    • Note: the girl's name must be fully lower-case.
    • This will increase their love/lust by X. If you want to make it equal to X then omit the plus sign
  • Press Esc to close the console and now you can play!

View attachment 1901303

Bonus stuff (not essential to read):

Note: I recommend using this with the guide mod for max efficiency because other than grinding points, the main time-sink with this game is trying to trigger events.

Note: if you want a version of the mod that lets you set affection and lust points separately (useful if you don't want to see any lust events), see here: https://f95zone.to/threads/lessons-in-love-v0-30-0-selebus.48158/post-10770605

Advice from alex2011 on how to use the mod so that you don't accidentally miss events (note: I used the mod myself with 50 affection from the start and didn't experience any issues. You can still miss events even if you follow the instructions below and you can still see all events while ignoring those instructions.):

Uninstall: delete the files z_set_love_lust.rpy and z_set_love_lust.rpyc from your game subfolder

I also made a mod that lets you scroll your mouse-wheel to simulate clicks, makes the game more convenient to play https://f95zone.to/threads/use-scroll-wheel-to-simulate-mouse-clicks.120507/#post-8406783
Any way to change lust names via some dev console command? If not, could this be implemented?

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
Any way to change lust names via some dev console command? If not, could this be implemented?
You can probably use URM:
If you want to change lust names as well. Just type in "master" in the variables search bar, then change the master name.

For example:

Mad Hatter

Nov 17, 2017
You think Sel is going to bait people into thinking Maya is actually gone for the entire event chain just to have her show back up in the last two events? Just so Akira can know what a world without Maya would be like for a little bit. Being a Christmas event chain, I just have a feeling he's going to "It's a Wonderful Life" it.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes