alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I'm going to preface this comment by saying that this is not a hill I intend to fight and die on, it really doesn't matter that much to me. Ultimately either Selebus sees my comment, agrees and tweaks the warning, or he sees it, disagrees and does nothing. There are more important hills.

I had intended to go no further than my original comment but as you have specifically asked me to explain I will. I really don't want to shit the thread up with a discussion about trigger warnings though (which funnily enough tend to trigger people).

You have definitely misunderstood my comment. Currently the warning states that "as in real life, horrible things may happen" then goes on to say "face your fears".

It is this final line that I was referring to as flippant.

The reason I say this is that usually I'd expect such a phrase to refer to more visceral fears - the dark, spooooooky ghosts, the unknown, blood and guts i.e. generic horror.

In a straight up generic horror setting this would be entirely appropriate. The ghosts (or whatever) aren't real, they aren't going to hurt you and it is through them that we experience catharsis.

But Selebus is pushing in to some really heavy topics regarding mental ill health and the very real consequences of that.This to me is starting to butt up against the boundaries of what would usually be lumped into the "horror" genre, particularly in games. Indeed I struggle to think of any mainstream games that really seek to address these issues, perhaps Silent Hill?

I would accept that "horrible things" does in fact include the kind of topics that are being explored. But I'm not sure it's a simple as facing one's fears when addressing them.

You specifically mention being more explicit to help him in covering his back but I think this really misses the point of content warnings and ascribes a really cynical motivation to Selebus. Given the very genuine style of his writing and engagement I don't think that's a fair assessment of his motivation for including such a warning given that he didn't have to include any warning at all.

I have found as I have gotten older and worked through my own issues that I have mellowed on the concept of trigger warnings, which I never used to like. To me, giving your audience a heads up that "hey we're going to be talking about some fucked up shit" is just a way of showing respect for that audience and hurts noone.

I suppose a parallel can be drawn with the medical warning immediately preceding the content warning in question. This is a photosensitive epilepsy warning. Very few people would begrudge such a warning despite it being virtually redundant. Why should we treat mental health differently?

So the point, if any is to be found in the rambly nonsense above, is that on the one hand Selebus is addressing some serious stuff in a serious and respectful way, but begins that by undermining his approach a little.

Tl;Dr snowflake got triggered ;)
Remember that this is a Denpa game, a common comparison game being Doki Doki Literature Club, which is also a Denpa game and also deals with very real issues in the same manner. Remember the scenes with Yuri and Sayori, those are very real issues and there is nothing addressing them as the real life issues they are in that game. Silent Hill is a traditional horror game, not a Denpa game. I don't think Selebus meant to face the fear of these topics, but to face the fear these topics coming up as suddenly as they do in this game can induce. I had forgotten where it said that since I haven't played from the start for a while, which is why I asked.

I mention making the warning more explicit as a precaution because there are some people out there who would take issue with the way it is now. They would completely gloss over the fact that there is indeed a warning to say that it isn't enough. I'm not trying to paint Selebus or the motivation to upgrade the warning as cynical, that's just a suggestion to make sure he doesn't run into that kind of trouble because that type of group can be a real pain to deal with. As I said, personally, I believe the warning is adequate as it is now, but some may not believe the same. Yes, the epilepsy warning does have very little use at the moment, but once again, it is better to be safe than sorry. There is no difference in the way the two are treated, he is very aware how serious both are and he is addressing them as such. Because I don't think he meant what you think he meant in the sections you think undermine his approach, I don't think he is undermining his approach at all. In fact, if one were to actually play the game and see the events, I am in no way saying or implying you haven't just to put that out there, they would see just how accurately he is portraying these very real issues.

If you need an example, definitely look at Rin. She is exactly what I picture when thinking of someone dealing with her issues and it actually scares me to consider that this fictional character isn't the only one going through such horrors, even though I was already aware it happens in real life, but that many very real people are as well, some of which have taken the ultimate and irreversible final step or who have caused permanent damage that they will live with until their time comes naturally.

Popletalko

Sep 14, 2019
Remember that this is a Denpa game, a common comparison game being Doki Doki Literature Club, which is also a Denpa game and also deals with very real issues in the same manner. Remember the scenes with Yuri and Sayori, those are very real issues and there is nothing addressing them as the real life issues they are in that game. Silent Hill is a traditional horror game, not a Denpa game. I don't think Selebus meant to face the fear of these topics, but to face the fear these topics coming up as suddenly as they do in this game can induce. I had forgotten where it said that since I haven't played from the start for a while, which is why I asked.

I mention making the warning more explicit as a precaution because there are some people out there who would take issue with the way it is now. They would completely gloss over the fact that there is indeed a warning to say that it isn't enough. I'm not trying to paint Selebus or the motivation to upgrade the warning as cynical, that's just a suggestion to make sure he doesn't run into that kind of trouble because that type of group can be a real pain to deal with. As I said, personally, I believe the warning is adequate as it is now, but some may not believe the same. Yes, the epilepsy warning does have very little use at the moment, but once again, it is better to be safe than sorry. There is no difference in the way the two are treated, he is very aware how serious both are and he is addressing them as such. Because I don't think he meant what you think he meant in the sections you think undermine his approach, I don't think he is undermining his approach at all. In fact, if one were to actually play the game and see the events, I am in no way saying or implying you haven't just to put that out there, they would see just how accurately he is portraying these very real issues.

If you need an example, definitely look at Rin. She is exactly what I picture when thinking of someone dealing with her issues and it actually scares me to consider that this fictional character isn't the only one going through such horrors, even though I was already aware it happens in real life, but that many very real people are as well, some of which have taken the ultimate and irreversible final step or who have caused permanent damage that they will live with until their time comes naturally.
I would say that the portrayal of the things presented are good and fine as they are. Actually i would say that it's a good choice that they are portrayed this way. Gives insight to how things look like under the shell that's commonly known. Gives the game additional quality in informational value. Connecting something you do for fun with something that will give you valuable experience in your life is often amazing. Especially with people that do end up like Rin. With her particularly, it is... scary, how accurate it was. And i'm saying that from first hand experience. Most of people do find themselves in that exact spot that you find her in back in the dorms. Knowing and seeing it may or may not help you and other people, but it's always to have that kind of knowledge just in case.

On the other hand i do agree and think that it would be nice to reimburse the initial piece of information. Giving a warning is already enough, but it doesn't hurt to make them click on the standard annoying "I understand" button. Maybe even double down and give them a second window right after it, saying that you are not joking and that they should be prepared for possibly disturbing things.

• Red Heart
Reactions: alex2011

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Selebus I photoshop edited something for you and then made a meme... I'd post it in your discord but this release still hasnt gone public
We must honor the newest addition to the fowl gang... welcome todd
we need new and different birds now... can we get a penguin at some point or something selebus
todd the chicken.png TODD HOWARDS CHICKEN.png

Last edited:

Razumdar

Feb 23, 2020
If you're finding the game is straight up not installing it may be worth fully uninstalling the game first and deleting all app data. (Just remember to backup your saves somewhere).

I have found with the most recent Android builds on various games that the installers aren't playing nice.
Yeah I always do that in between updates. (Unless you also mean stuff like my saves too.)

It gets past the staging step but only installs for a second before failing.

25thKnight

May 20, 2020
During the weekend there's a "Computer" option. Use it there.

However, using any of the cheats marks your save as a cheater. As of version 0.10.0p2 there are no consequences to this, but given the nature of denpa games like this (see horror tag), I wouldn't be surprised if there were pretty severe repercussions later. As such, I suggest playing without cheats unless you REALLY feel you need them.
I really need it for rin Lol
I dont have the save before fingering chika but you can tell me which is better starting over again or using cheats

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I would say that the portrayal of the things presented are good and fine as they are. Actually i would say that it's a good choice that they are portrayed this way. Gives insight to how things look like under the shell that's commonly known. Gives the game additional quality in informational value. Connecting something you do for fun with something that will give you valuable experience in your life is often amazing. Especially with people that do end up like Rin. With her particularly, it is... scary, how accurate it was. And i'm saying that from first hand experience. Most of people do find themselves in that exact spot that you find her in back in the dorms. Knowing and seeing it may or may not help you and other people, but it's always to have that kind of knowledge just in case.

On the other hand i do agree and think that it would be nice to reimburse the initial piece of information. Giving a warning is already enough, but it doesn't hurt to make them click on the standard annoying "I understand" button. Maybe even double down and give them a second window right after it, saying that you are not joking and that they should be prepared for possibly disturbing things.
Absolutely, and his portrayal makes it seem like he was one of those real life people with first hand experience on the subject, which is a scary thought in and of itself. I'm not sure if I should, but I feel I must and I'm going to be real for a moment here. If anyone here feels like these characters, please, seek someone to help even if it is one of us. I know my ear is always open if you need to let off some steam or get something off your chest, just message me and we'll talk. Don't let yourself end up like Rin.

I dont have the save before fingering chika but you can tell me which is better starting over again or using cheats
The cheats are good for those that don't mind the potential consequences of the cheater save flag or that just want to see how something could have played out differently. If you don't want to submit to the secret cheater flag later in the game, which will inevitably have something bad happen, don't use the cheats.

Btw a question guys

Is the secret event is the one with blue color font on eventslist?
No, those are invite over events or call events, where you ask the girl to come over or call her. I don't remember which. Secret events are the ones listed at the very bottom of the event tracker and are the really strange events that make very little sense at first. They look like any other event in the tracker except being at the bottom in their own section.

Popletalko

Sep 14, 2019
Absolutely, and his portrayal makes it seem like he was one of those real life people with first hand experience on the subject, which is a scary thought in and of itself. I'm not sure if I should, but I feel I must and I'm going to be real for a moment here. If anyone here feels like these characters, please, seek someone to help even if it is one of us. I know my ear is always open if you need to let off some steam or get something off your chest, just message me and we'll talk. Don't let yourself end up like Rin.
Honestly, i myself was left wondering if he had the experience from somewhere. I don't dare question it, no matter if he got it from someone or he knows it himself, but... it was frightening to relate to as much as i did. And a little bit comforting, knowing that there is some form of understanding in it.

And i add my own wish to yours as well. It's worth it to seek out help. Might not work, but everyone should give it an honest try. For their own sake, and for the sake of those that like them.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ankoku and alex2011

Ankoku

Apr 28, 2018
How about using someone elses save? Oblivion9900 has provided a save that starts right at the start of the beach event with everything set up to get the best possible outcome that doesn't miss any scenes (including being a good homie to Rin). Just click the name below to jump to it.
i made a mistake in that save before selebus posted what i needed to avoid for the beach scene. that event is crossed out if you chose to not kiss chika in her earlier events.
i made a save correcting that but i guess i forgot to post it here, my bad.
here is the corrected save with chika events enabled, starts at the beginning of the beach events.
If you're waaay past the beach event, you can use my save which is set up just like Oblivion9900's, except it starts right at the Halloween event. Once again, just click the name to jump to it.
If it's red and crossed out, and you don't have a save prior to that, I'm afraid there isn't. However, if you do everything prior to the Halloween event, you can have my save that starts right at the event and has that (and everything else) done. You can just watch it in scene replay with the save if you really don't wanna restart.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: oblivion9900

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Honestly, i myself was left wondering if he had the experience from somewhere. I don't dare question it, no matter if he got it from someone or he knows it himself, but... it was frightening to relate to as much as i did. And a little bit comforting, knowing that there is some form of understanding in it.

And i add my own wish to yours as well. It's worth it to seek out help. Might not work, but everyone should give it an honest try. For their own sake, and for the sake of those that like them.
I do have to admit I have never experienced it either myself or as a witness to it, like Sensei, but there are two parts I have experience in myself. Yumi's interactions with Futaba so far could be considered bullying no matter Yumi's intentions and Chika's backstory when you haver her call you something very specific. I'll spoiler it for the sake of not ruining any first experiences with the game. When you have Chika call you almost any variation of dad, she basically tells you in a very cheeky manner that her actual dad left her when she was little. I experienced the Yumi/Futaba dynamic in person in middle school, some call it junior high, and I experienced what Chika did frequently up to the age of five, when I never saw him again face to face. I've talked to him, recently in fact, but that's it. Those two hit extremely close to me and, while I did enjoy Chika's scene, it still hurt, a lot. I thought I'd gotten over it because I am able to talk to him without any negative feeling toward him, but I guess not completely.

Last edited:

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
Yeah I always do that in between updates. (Unless you also mean stuff like my saves too.)

It gets past the staging step but only installs for a second before failing.
I'd suggest backing up your saves to a different folder then performing an app data reset through app settings (then uninstall and reinstall). I have previously experienced a renpy game lose its shit over saves/settings during an update.

If it will then run, create a new save to rebuild the files in the data folder then move your old saves there.

I know Selebus changed directories in a relatively recent build so that could be causing you issues.

Reactions: alex2011 and Ankoku

Deleted member 1697433

Lessons in Love
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2019
Just wanted to chime in without replying to anyone as I see there was/is a lengthy discussion about mental health and how it relates to this game.

The “Face Your Fears” message is not an attempt to undermine that or make light of it. It’s exactly the opposite. I believe that the best way to combat the struggles real people face in life is to attack them to head on. We can not simply shy away from things that make us feel upset or uncomfortable or any other negative adjective that could be swapped in for one of those.

When I say “Face Your Fears,” I mean the fear of death. I mean the fear of loss. I mean the fear of rejection. I mean every “real” fear that people have.

I write things like this to help overcome my own mental struggles. All of these characters are reflections of different parts of me. I just also think many people may benefit from diving into the darkness in order to pull out some light when they can’t find any in other places.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Just wanted to chime in without replying to anyone as I see there was/is a lengthy discussion about mental health and how it relates to this game.

The “Face Your Fears” message is not an attempt to undermine that or make light of it. It’s exactly the opposite. I believe that the best way to combat the struggles real people face in life is to attack them to head on. We can not simply shy away from things that make us feel upset or uncomfortable or any other negative adjective that could be swapped in for one of those.

When I say “Face Your Fears,” I mean the fear of death. I mean the fear of loss. I mean the fear of rejection. I mean every “real” fear that people have.

I write things like this to help overcome my own mental struggles. All of these characters are reflections of different parts of me. I just also think many people may benefit from diving into the darkness in order to pull out some light when they can’t find any in other places.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

KingWeWuz

Mar 8, 2019
Huh... I was under the impression much of this game was intended to be a deconstruction of the happy-harem novel game guys like to play, similar to doki-doki. I got the vibe the game's story was allegory making fun of me for playing it.

Seems like it's meant to be the opposite?

Reactions: alex2011

Deleted member 1697433

Lessons in Love
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2019
Huh... I was under the impression much of this game was intended to be a deconstruction of the happy-harem novel game guys like to play, similar to doki-doki. I got the vibe the game's story was allegory making fun of me for playing it.

Seems like it's meant to be the opposite?
That’s in there as well. It’s a mixture of a bunch of different ideas and themes. It’s also a major critique and parody on religion. The mocking tone of the narrative is more designed to seep into the horrible sides and tendencies of all of us more than it is just making fun of people for consuming porn.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes