Ankoku

Apr 28, 2018
Come on, Star Trek got a reboot a decade ago which was pretty good actually. It's not just really old people that know that.
Mostly old people but not exclusively.
Almost exclusively though ^^
Beat me to that reply by seconds.

Also, with how recently it was rebooted, I hope everyone on this site is old enough to get the reference.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Come on, Star Trek got a reboot a decade ago which was pretty good actually.
Right, thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I forgot about the Chris Pine reboots. I have the original series on the brain, haha. The reboots were entertaning enough, but compared to the original series, it was turned it into more of an action movie, and the director/writers watered down the philosophical questions present in the earlier series and the first 6 movies. At least in my opinion.

El_Zane_123

Oct 22, 2020
Right, thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I forgot about the Chris Pine reboots. I have the original series on the brain, haha. The reboots were entertaning enough, but compared to the original series, it was turned it into more of an action movie, and the director/writers watered down the philosophical questions present in the earlier series and the first 6 movies. At least in my opinion.
They are indeed a lot more shallow and fast-paced but honestly, few exceptions aside this is kinda the state of current hollywood (kinda a different zeitgeist). I did enjoy them quite a bit for the action they delivered though but admittedly I was never the biggest old Trekki to begin with so I can see why old-school fans might have been left disappointed :)

Reactions: alex2011

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
The Kobayashi Maru
Not quite, the Kobayashi Maru was designed as a test to determine a selected crew's ability to work as a team and a captain's ability to command that team and ultimately was designed as unwinnable, only won by Kirk's team during his final attempt through cheating. Lessons in Love, while technically unwinnable because there is no endgame yet, is not designed to be. It is designed to screw with us, the players, and to make a perfect run extremely challenging, but not impossible.

It is an extremely close comparison, but not quite accurate.

Reactions: ElukiaTV

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Not quite, the Kobayashi Maru was designed as a test to determine a selected crew's ability to work as a team and a captain's ability to command that team and ultimately was designed as unwinnable, only won by Kirk's team during his final attempt through cheating. Lessons in Love, while technically unwinnable because there is no endgame yet, is not designed to be. It is designed to screw with us, the players, and to make a perfect run extremely challenging, but not impossible.

Good summary. However, how do you know that Selebus has a winnable endgame? For all we know it will end up with other girls, or even the MC taking Maya's spot or something equally horrible. Maybe the MC will wake up one day in Maya's body, sitting in a classroom, as a new (horny) Sensei comes into the room and starts (poorly) teaching. I wouldn't put it past him, the scoundrel ;).

punisher2099

Forum Fanatic
Feb 25, 2020

Was referring to that specific choice not the whole game.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Good summary. However, how do you know that Selebus has a winnable endgame? For all we know it will end up with other girls, or even the MC taking Maya's spot or something equally horrible. Maybe the MC will wake up one day in Maya's body, sitting in a classroom, as a new (horny) Sensei comes into the room and starts (poorly) teaching. I wouldn't put it past him, the scoundrel ;).
I said the game has no endgame. At this point, there is neither a winnable nor an unwinnable endgame.

Was referring to that specific choice not the whole game.
There is a solution that allows for a winnable scenario in that case, unlike the Kobayashi Maru, as I said. While I was making a general statement, it does apply to the specific case presented as well.

Reactions: Ankoku and Smarmint

punisher2099

Forum Fanatic
Feb 25, 2020
I said the game has no endgame. At this point, there is neither a winnable nor an unwinnable endgame.

There is a solution that allows for a winnable scenario in that case, unlike the Kobayashi Maru, as I said. While I was making a general statement, it does apply to the specific case presented as well.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I'd say it's entirely possible to see either outcome as a loss. Depends on what you value. Game theory is an interesting topic.
For me, any negative result is a loss, so anything that avoids that is a win.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
Game theory is an interesting topic.
It is, but game theory is the study of large groups of individuals all strategically trying to get ahead of one another in complex multiplayer "games" such as the stock market, the African savannah, or even EVE Online, not a denpa VN author forcing two poorly contrived black-and-white choices on a player just to remind them that they can't have nice things and because the cake is a lie in the first place, much less eating it and keeping it, too.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes