cckerberos

Jun 12, 2017
Does cckerberos Guide mod include a Gallery Unlocker? I notice that the separate gallery unlocker thread includes a v17 unlocker, that works via a modded screens.rpy file , and then I see that this Guide mod also includes a screens.rpy and so I can't use both, right?
No, there's no gallery unlocking in the guide mod.

The two mods could be made to work together easily (the guide mod only adds two lines to screens.rpy), but you can't use both without modifying one of them.

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
And who's to say he won't fix the fix? :WeSmart:
That's possible, but good luck with that in long term. As long as it's offline game where people get their hands on everything, somebody would fix it again. So many have tried to prevent such things...

Reactions: alex2011

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I think we're forgetting a certain butler. DLC release when?
Ah yes, that is missing. We need those coffins and outfits, do we not? :p

That's possible, but good luck with that in long term. As long as it's offline game where people get their hands on everything, somebody would fix it again. So many have tried to prevent such things...
And that is also easily fixed by encrypting the files, Renpy can do that and, actually, that's the way most people do it, though common files like console.rpy don't usually get touched, making setting the console to on easy either way. That wouldn't help very much if the variable gets changed along with the encryption, though.

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
And that is also easily fixed by encrypting the files, Renpy can do that ...
I didn't look too hard, but I don't see anything about encryption. I know there can be just compiled .rpyc files instead of .rpy readable source code, or files could be in .rpa archive, but neither is encryption and tools exist to deal with both. Even if there's support for actual encryption with unbreakable ciphers, the game itself must still be able to decrypt data to be able to use it, and that's the weak point. If the game can do it, someone else can too, because everything required for it (some decryption key) must be somewhere in game's files.

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
Still think it'd be easy to fix the cheater issue as regardless of what he does inspection of the code would find what he's done. Sure he can obfuscate it, the very basic level of that would be changing the name of the variable. Of course if he really was die hard on stopping you from changing the code he could try certain methods, although as has already been said as long as it's an offline game there's nothing he can really do to stop us.

The the Guy

Jun 28, 2018
I just finished .17 and as a note for the developer the Io content in the war was really good but would've been better if she had more events or appeared in other girls stories. The same can be said for a lot of the second half's since all of the second half's girls have so few events after they're update they can be pretty easily forgotten. The war as fun as it is could've been a lot better if the second half's girls were given more time.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I didn't look too hard, but I don't see anything about encryption. I know there can be just compiled .rpyc files instead of .rpy readable source code, or files could be in .rpa archive, but neither is encryption and tools exist to deal with both. Even if there's support for actual encryption with unbreakable ciphers, the game itself must still be able to decrypt data to be able to use it, and that's the weak point. If the game can do it, someone else can too, because everything required for it (some decryption key) must be somewhere in game's files.
Encryption might be the wrong term, I was tired when I commented at that point, but there is a way to prevent them from being read normally like a .rpy can be. The tools exist, but that's extra work. We've already seen through comments here how extra work is viewed, no offense to other players, of course. Also, no encryption is truly unbreakable, not even the most sophisticated military grade encryption. The difference is how much time and effort would be needed. In reality, they only seem unbreakable because there's nobody on the planet who has been stubborn enough to try until they succeed, that and it might take longer than the person trying has left to live.

Still think it'd be easy to fix the cheater issue as regardless of what he does inspection of the code would find what he's done. Sure he can obfuscate it, the very basic level of that would be changing the name of the variable. Of course if he really was die hard on stopping you from changing the code he could try certain methods, although as has already been said as long as it's an offline game there's nothing he can really do to stop us.
And if he starts setting backup variables? That's always an option. For example, he could make it so that if a save is loaded into a game with an alteration to make $Cheater = False, I don't have the code in front of me, this is an example only, he could then make $Tamper = True and then set that so that if $Tamper = True, then $Cheater is automatically changed to True as well. $Tamper would be False by default, but it would turn True if it found $Cheater was False when a save was loaded. To prevent this from firing on a false positive because $Cheater is False until the player cheats, he could also add a $Cheated variable that would be set to True if a cheat was used as a backup cheater variable, which would fire at every load cycle. It could become a long string of variables that continually set and reset the cheater flag and this would eventually come down to who is more stubborn, the players or Selebus himself. Given how he never budges against a complaint about his choices in design, like how consequences actually have an impact, which has come up multiple times, I would put money on Selebus winning that battle. Hell, if I was making this game, I would already have at least 10 backups from the start in a chain set up to make sure that flag stays active. If I'm going to put the flag in there, I am going to make sure it gets used since, if there is one thing I dislike in programming, it's keeping useless code.

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
And if he starts setting backup variables?
Everyone skilled enough to use some save editor can still play with all variables. You could make it more difficult with some checksum or digital signature. Then if someone just changes some varible, they won't match and such save can be rejected. Commonly available tools wouldn't be able to deal with that, because checksum/signature would be custom non-standard thing. And regular user wouldn't be able to compute correct one. But all it takes is one person who checks how the code does it and makes a simple tool to compute it.

And I think Selebus is either nice guy who doesn't really want to annoy players too much, or he's sensible enough to not fight losing battles. Otherwise he would have made that famous address random and unique for each player. And someone else would surely make a tool to extract it from saves. :)

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
I highly doubt the "cheater" variable would result in a punitive outcome (fatal exception, self-corrupting save, etc), but rather change how certain characters (the ones with meta-awareness of the universe and the things that talk to you in Happy scenes) interact. And from a completionist standpoint, that alone would make it worth pursuing in a secondary playthrough just to see if any lore secrets are revealed in one path vs another.

Hell, if I were making a game like this, the whole story would only become apparent if both the cheater dialogue and honest dialogue were revealed.

Reactions: Muk_king
Jul 11, 2019
I just finished .17 and as a note for the developer the Io content in the war was really good but would've been better if she had more events or appeared in other girls stories.
But... Io didn't want to participate at all. She was running away, since you know, she doesn't really like socializing.
Would be kind of strange for her personality to do a 180 and have her willingly participate in any of the events.
Yumi appeared mainly due to Chika, while Io avoided Uta.

Also Sensei better take her to an amusement park.

WHAT
THE
FUCK.
I see you've started your journey. Praise be.
All I can say is to make sure to have sound on, since it's half the experience (and also really important).

The the Guy

Jun 28, 2018
But... Io didn't want to participate at all. She was running away, since you know, she doesn't really like socializing.
Would be kind of strange for her personality to do a 180 and have her willingly participate in any of the events.
Yumi appeared mainly due to Chika, while Io avoided Uta.

Also Sensei better take her to an amusement park.
I do go on to say the girls from part 2 probably just needed a little more events in general before the war event

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

zekemckillip

Sep 16, 2019
Was just catching up on the Patreon page, and I noticed he hit the $10K goal, which is probably old news by now, but I was reading the list of new rewards for the $12345 goal and this one scares me:

- More shots of Maya's legs

I mean... attached right? And in some normal position for legs on a healthy individual? Because this game has taught me to assume NOTHING! everything is fine.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020

I mean... attached right? And in some normal position for legs on a healthy individual? Because this game has taught me to assume NOTHING! everything is fine.
Based on some of the happy scenes?

They'll only be attached in SOME of them.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Everyone skilled enough to use some save editor can still play with all variables. You could make it more difficult with some checksum or digital signature. Then if someone just changes some varible, they won't match and such save can be rejected. Commonly available tools wouldn't be able to deal with that, because checksum/signature would be custom non-standard thing. And regular user wouldn't be able to compute correct one. But all it takes is one person who checks how the code does it and makes a simple tool to compute it.

And I think Selebus is either nice guy who doesn't really want to annoy players too much, or he's sensible enough to not fight losing battles. Otherwise he would have made that famous address random and unique for each player. And someone else would surely make a tool to extract it from saves. :)
The point being they would eventually find themselves wasting more time setting the variables so they don't go off than they would be spending playing the game because, with each variable manually set by the player to avoid consequences, a new one would be added until theplayers give up. I wouldn't go so far as to do anything that would render a save unusable, that's too far. The only losing battle is on the player side with the method I described, the only way to get out of that battle would be to give up trying to make the variable not fire.

I highly doubt the "cheater" variable would result in a punitive outcome (fatal exception, self-corrupting save, etc), but rather change how certain characters (the ones with meta-awareness of the universe and the things that talk to you in Happy scenes) interact. And from a completionist standpoint, that alone would make it worth pursuing in a secondary playthrough just to see if any lore secrets are revealed in one path vs another.

Hell, if I were making a game like this, the whole story would only become apparent if both the cheater dialogue and honest dialogue were revealed.
That's not what he was saying, he was saying Selebus could use something like a checksum that would render saves that don't match it unusable and saves that were tampered with to avoid consequences for cheating would register as not matching. I disagree as well. An in game consequence for cheating should be fine, but it should also be made unavoidable because it defeats the purpose of having the consequence if people can get around it. This may sound like I'm going on a sadistic streak, but an in game consequence could be total and permanent lockout of lust and romantic character events. Remember the horror of the alternate end to Rin's latest events. The characters would outright reject any advances by player Sensei for the rest of the game. This would be maintained somewhere else even if the cheater variable is reset. Once the cheater variable goes off, that's it.

Was just catching up on the Patreon page, and I noticed he hit the $10K goal, which is probably old news by now, but I was reading the list of new rewards for the $12345 goal and this one scares me:

Careful, they could be attached, but not where you expect.

• Haha
Reactions: Partomatic
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes