alutarox

Nov 15, 2017
Only in method, other than one being physical and one being electronic, they are the same.
I'm with the Salad on this one, physical theft is both a loss of material and a loss of profit (you're losing the object itself and the opportunity for that sale) whereas game piracy is "just" a loss of profit, the developer doesn't actually lose an object on top of not getting paid.

Note that I'm not saying that piracy is justified either morally or economically. But physical theft is fundamentally different to piracy.

Having said that I totally download the leaked versions of this game (though if I were in a position to support Sel, I would and I'd never leak the game myself if I were in a position to do that).

hcguy

Aug 29, 2019
Sure, wasn't saying that it wasn't theft, was just saying it IS fundamentally different.
It's not fundamentally different, it's the same. A thing exists. The creator of that thing has asked that he be paid for providing that thing. Taking that thing without paying is theft. The nature of the thing (physical or digital) is irrelevant - it's the taking which is the issue.

In this case, it's even less justifiable, since it's pretty unlikely that a physical store would say, "hey, if you wait two weeks after this thing goes on the shelf, you actually can just come in and take it off the shelf for free", but that is the case here.

In any case, if the actual creator of the thing coming here and saying, "please do not take the thing for free" doesn't mean anything to you, there is a fundamental error in your moral programming.

hcguy

Aug 29, 2019
Having said that I totally download the leaked versions of this game (though if I were in a position to support Sel, I would and I'd never leak the game myself if I were in a position to do that).
If you are not in a (financial, I assume) position to support Selebus, then you wait the two weeks and get it for free with his permission. Not being in a financial position to pay for a thing does not entitle you to have it for free, or I would be driving a Maserati right now.

The fact that LiL is not a physical object does not matter.

Sep 16, 2018
Sure, wasn't saying that it wasn't theft, was just saying it IS fundamentally different.
While I see the point you're trying to make, in both cases the theft isn't of the object itself. It's of the time, materials, and expertise that goes into making it. Without those things there's no product to begin with so the number of copies you could theoretically create is meaningless.

Selebus is remarkably well compensated between patreon and subscribestar so I don't specifically feel bad for them, but adult gaming as a whole is kept waaaaay behind mainstream games because it's so much more likely to be pirated. They say sex sells but this genre really doesn't because players are so used to getting it for free, it's pretty much kept alive through subscription services.

Reactions: alex2011 and hcguy

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I'm with the Salad on this one, physical theft is both a loss of material and a loss of profit (you're losing the object itself and the opportunity for that sale) whereas game piracy is "just" a loss of profit, the developer doesn't actually lose an object on top of not getting paid.

Note that I'm not saying that piracy is justified either morally or economically. But physical theft is fundamentally different to piracy.

I was in the same position way back in the early days of the game, so I get where you're coming from on your reasoning. Still, it is also available for free after two weeks, publicly.

It's not fundamentally different, it's the same. A thing exists. The creator of that thing has asked that he be paid for providing that thing. Taking that thing without paying is theft. The nature of the thing (physical or digital) is irrelevant - it's the taking which is the issue.

In this case, it's even less justifiable, since it's pretty unlikely that a physical store would say, "hey, if you wait two weeks after this thing goes on the shelf, you actually can just come in and take it off the shelf for free", but that is the case here.

In any case, if the actual creator of the thing coming here and saying, "please do not take the thing for free" doesn't mean anything to you, there is a fundamental error in your moral programming.
Exactly, I couldn't have said that first part better.

Yeah, no a physical store will NEVER give the item out free, even some other developers are like that. We got lucky it's Selebus we're dealing with. He offers the game free on a two week delay in order to give people who pay for their benefits said benefits, which mostly entails the earlier patron releases.

Agreed, though to be fair, this is a rare case, extremely rare. Some just stay out, some don't even know we exist, and some don't ever realize or believe their game could end up here, usually developers that are releasing only in their country like Illusion, though that specific example is very much aware of us.

If you are not in a (financial, I assume) position to support Selebus, then you wait the two weeks and get it for free with his permission. Not being in a financial position to pay for a thing does not entitle you to have it for free, or I would be driving a Maserati right now.

The fact that LiL is not a physical object does not matter.
Exactly, I'd be driving a Rolls-Royce if that were the case, with all the optional extras.

While I see the point you're trying to make, in both cases the theft isn't of the object itself. It's of the time, materials, and expertise that goes into making it. Without those things there's no product to begin with so the number of copies you could theoretically create is meaningless.

Selebus is remarkably well compensated between patreon and subscribestar so I don't specifically feel bad for them, but adult gaming as a whole is kept waaaaay behind mainstream games because it's so much more likely to be pirated. They say sex sells but this genre really doesn't because players are so used to getting it for free, it's pretty much kept alive through subscription services.
Exactly, and time is not and has never been a physical object nor has the expertise. The materials sometimes are depending on the stolen item, but that is beside the point.

I, on the other hand, feel bad for any developer regardless of how well compensated they are except a VERY select few that do things I am not okay with. Among those things I am not okay with are focusing on DRM instead of the game to avoid your players putting back content you removed (School of Lust) and putting exclusive content for patrons into a game instead of leaving the exclusives out of it for separate download so everyone gets the same game.

how far is the game now are all the girls doable?
No, and it is going to be a while, this game is slated for multiple years of development.

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019

That's like saying there's a difference between physical torture and physiological torture. Sure, the former will physically hurt you (like ripping off your nails) and the latter won't physically hurt you (it'll just drive you literally insane, like forced sleep deprivation or solitary confinement) but both are equally bad 0_O.

Or it's like hate crimes. Regardless if you scream the N-word at a black person or if you physically assault them, it's still a hate crime. And it's not nice either way, even if screaming the N-word at a black person won't physically hurt them.

So maybe not get too caught up in the nitty gritty details between physical theft and electronic theft? - (ツ)_/¯

alutarox

Nov 15, 2017
That's like saying there's a difference between physical torture and physiological torture. Sure, the former will physically hurt you (like ripping off your nails) and the latter won't physically hurt you (it'll just drive you literally insane, like forced sleep deprivation or solitary confinement) but both are equally bad 0_O.

Or it's like hate crimes. Regardless if you scream the N-word at a black person or if you physically assault them, it's still a hate crime. And it's not nice either way, even if screaming the N-word at a black person won't physically hurt them.

So maybe not get too caught up in the nitty gritty details between physical theft and electronic theft? - (ツ)_/¯
Note that I wasn't making any judgement as to which was worse, I was just stating that they're inherently different. In physical theft the victim has lost something tangible as well as the opportunity for a sale, whereas in piracy the victim has lost "only" the opportunity for a sale. Both are effectively the same thing, in that something that is being provided with an expected compensation is being taken without giving said compensation, but they have a fundamental difference between them that means you have to treat them differently.

Take for example my case, I do not have the ability to support creators financially. It's not that I won't, I can't. If I pirate something, the alternative is that I don't play the game at all. Either way the developer gets nothing from me in terms of money. I can however provide some value (perhaps not much, but not necessarily nothing) to the dev by praising the game, and recommending it to people that may be able to support them financially. Thus my piracy of any given game has at worst a neutral effect on the dev's success.
If I stole something physically then that's an inherent destruction of value for the seller. I am taking something from them. Even if I do the same thing; recommending the thing I stole to others, that destruction of value means that the worst case scenario is a net negative for the seller.

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying that piracy is inherently justified. Hell, if I had it my way then this game would never leak at all, Sel is incredibly generous releasing the game for free two weeks after the release date for the people bankrolling this entire thing. But my problem is not with those who download the game after it leaks, that'd be hypocritical at best. My problem is with the leaker(s).

Downloading a leaked copy of this game harms nobody. At best not doing so would be a show of respect to someone who would likely neither know or care that you did so.

Note that none of what I've said applies to those who can support developers, and would if there were no leak, who don't due to said leaks. If you would pay for the game if it wasn't free, you should definitely pay for it.

TL;DR: fuck the leakers, but you shouldn't feel bad for downloading this game if it does leak. If you can support Selebus (or other developers) then you should, even if you don't have to.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

Indeed, either way is theft and all forms are equal in their morality, or lack thereof in this case, and damage dealt to the target of the theft.

Note that I wasn't making any judgement as to which was worse, I was just stating that they're inherently different. In physical theft the victim has lost something tangible as well as the opportunity for a sale, whereas in piracy the victim has lost "only" the opportunity for a sale. Both are effectively the same thing, in that something that is being provided with an expected compensation is being taken without giving said compensation, but they have a fundamental difference between them that means you have to treat them differently.

Take for example my case, I do not have the ability to support creators financially. It's not that I won't, I can't. If I pirate something, the alternative is that I don't play the game at all. Either way the developer gets nothing from me in terms of money. I can however provide some value (perhaps not much, but not necessarily nothing) to the dev by praising the game, and recommending it to people that may be able to support them financially. Thus my piracy of any given game has at worst a neutral effect on the dev's success.
If I stole something physically then that's an inherent destruction of value for the seller. I am taking something from them. Even if I do the same thing; recommending the thing I stole to others, that destruction of value means that the worst case scenario is a net negative for the seller.

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not saying that piracy is inherently justified. Hell, if I had it my way then this game would never leak at all, Sel is incredibly generous releasing the game for free two weeks after the release date for the people bankrolling this entire thing. But my problem is not with those who download the game after it leaks, that'd be hypocritical at best. My problem is with the leaker(s).

Downloading a leaked copy of this game harms nobody. At best not doing so would be a show of respect to someone who would likely neither know or care that you did so.

Note that none of what I've said applies to those who can support developers, and would if there were no leak, who don't due to said leaks. If you would pay for the game if it wasn't free, you should definitely pay for it.

TL;DR: fuck the leakers, but you shouldn't feel bad for downloading this game if it does leak. If you can support Selebus (or other developers) then you should, even if you don't have to.
They've lost something tangible in both cases, the money not gained, which is tangible in that you can use it outside of the transaction for the stolen product, including turning it into a physical form. No, theft of any kind can be treated the same because they are both still inherently theft, the only thing missing is an actual physical item that was stolen.

There is no neutral effect, once people learn of an easier source of the game than supporting the developer or waiting the requested amount of time, that's two weeks in this case, so that actual patrons can get benefits that actually mean something, they will flock to the easier source. It's just the nature of most humans, we flock to the easiest method even if it isn't the correct method. I'm not saying those people are lazy, no, it's just in our nature to follow the path of least resistance, usually, there are some exceptions to this. So, you suggest a game after pirating it, the new players you recruited, for lack of a better term, look it up, and they flock here, a pirate site, instead of the three sites the developer officially uses.

I absolutely agree with the first sentence of that third part, it almost never is justified. Again, there are exceptions to this, such as developers wasting their time on DRM instead of developing the game (School of Lust).

Except it does hurt the developer, Selebus has specifically noted a decrease in patrons signing up to support around leaks and downloading leaks encourages them. On the other hand, there is an increase in patron sign ups around versions that are not leaked. The law of supply and demand is in effect here, the leakers supply the leaks and the downloaders download them. Because the leakers see that their leaks are being downloaded, they continue to supply the leaks and because the leak was supplied, it gets downloaded.

hcguy

Aug 29, 2019
What a convenient self-justification for your theft.

Yes, not being able to afford something means you do without.

Reactions: alex2011

spam753

Aug 6, 2017
What a convenient self-justification for your theft.

Yes, not being able to afford something means you do without.
Noble words spoken in a piracy forum. :p

Why does this thread need regular piracy discussions? It's not like anyone changes their mind. Some will never pay and will always pirate, some will always pay and some only pay occasionally.

It's almost as bad as the NTR discussion that some threads here can't go without.

I prefer the weird LiL Lore discussions in this thread, even though I can't even keep up most of the time.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
What does the ------------------ means on the character events tracker? I thought it was a divider for events of chapter 2 since it's my first time playing but i don't think i'am correct.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I quit this game in a huff, threw it in the bin along with its appdata folder. I got yet another 'happy' scene and it pissed me off. I went away angry and brooded on it for a while, i couldn't understand why i was so bothered by it, sometimes a game just isn't for me, that's ok, others like it, all power to them. So why did this one get under my skin so much? It took me half a day to realise. It's cause there IS a good game here, well written with good pacing and interesting characters, but the constant meta comments in dialogue and injections of faux-deep philosophy with deliberately jarring screen tears just get in the way of it, it doesn't add anything, it just detracts and disrupts. Like some shitty DDLC rip-off without the interesting pay off. I have no idea what Selebus's goal is with it, maybe i didn't stick with it long enough, but it came off as pretentious and intellectually insulting. I do not expect or even request such stuff be removed, Selebus is more than free to do their own thing with their game, i just felt like commenting on my experience. I wanted to like this game, but it got in its own way and prevented me from doing so.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
One thought I've had recently... not sure if I'd call it a concern, or a worry, necessarily, but I am curious how much content Sel's got planned for this game. Hearing "years" makes me apprehensive, because I guess I don't want the story to become too bloated, or meandering, you know? I've been a supporter for a while, and will continue to do so, but I do wonder sometimes if the story might end up getting to be too much if it goes for a looooong time

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
I quit this game in a huff, threw it in the bin along with its appdata folder. I got yet another 'happy' scene and it pissed me off. I went away angry and brooded on it for a while, i couldn't understand why i was so bothered by it, sometimes a game just isn't for me, that's ok, others like it, all power to them. So why did this one get under my skin so much? It took me half a day to realise. It's cause there IS a good game here, well written with good pacing and interesting characters, but the constant meta comments in dialogue and injections of faux-deep philosophy with deliberately jarring screen tears just get in the way of it, it doesn't add anything, it just detracts and disrupts. Like some shitty DDLC rip-off without the interesting pay off. I have no idea what Selebus's goal is with it, maybe i didn't stick with it long enough, but it came off as pretentious and intellectually insulting. I do not expect or even request such stuff be removed, Selebus is more than free to do their own thing with their game, i just felt like commenting on my experience. I wanted to like this game, but it got in its own way and prevented me from doing so.
The Happy scenes are definitely part of the overall story. You didn't like it, and that's fine, but I thought it might be helpful to try and give my perspective on them.

They exist to give hints as to what's really going on - Is Sensei descending into madness? Is this just a thin veneer that hides the real world? If so, is the real world the more normal looking place, or the happy scenes? Is it the gods that keep getting mentioned trying to force their will on the people of Kumon-mi? etc. It adds to the mystery, and is actually a part of the story. It's where the horror aspect of the game comes from.

It's perfectly okay not to like this. Like I said, I just wanted to help you understand its intended place in the story from the perspective of someone who wasn't put off by it.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
One thought I've had recently... not sure if I'd call it a concern, or a worry, necessarily, but I am curious how much content Sel's got planned for this game. Hearing "years" makes me apprehensive, because I guess I don't want the story to become too bloated, or meandering, you know? I've been a supporter for a while, and will continue to do so, but I do wonder sometimes if the story might end up getting to be too much if it goes for a looooong time
Yeah, i feel like 3~4 chapters should be the target.

My biggest concern right now (starting chapter2 just now) is the ending, i have a feeling it's going to disappoint.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Noble words spoken in a piracy forum. :p

Why does this thread need regular piracy discussions? It's not like anyone changes their mind. Some will never pay and will always pirate, some will always pay and some only pay occasionally.

It's almost as bad as the NTR discussion that some threads here can't go without.

I prefer the weird LiL Lore discussions in this thread, even though I can't even keep up most of the time.
It doesn't need it, but we're doing it anyway, now by developer request, you could say. It isn't about changing minds for me, it's about letting people know what negative effects are going on as a result of their actions. Education is effective on any topic, getting them to stop would be a bonus, though.

This game is VERY effective at playing with your very real emotions, you don't want to know how genuinely angry I get at player Sensei sometimes.

Saying 'a lot' would probably still be an insane understatement. This thing seems to be essentially going fora novel in VN form, though the word count has already passed some of the highest count works known to mankind, like the bible. Who knows, he might be well on his way to setting a record with it.

The Happy scenes are definitely part of the overall story. You didn't like it, and that's fine, but I thought it might be helpful to try and give my perspective on them.

They exist to give hints as to what's really going on - Is Sensei descending into madness? Is this just a thin veneer that hides the real world? If so, is the real world the more normal looking place, or the happy scenes? Is it the gods that keep getting mentioned trying to force their will on the people of Kumon-mi? etc. It adds to the mystery, and is actually a part of the story. It's where the horror aspect of the game comes from.

It's perfectly okay not to like this. Like I said, I just wanted to help you understand its intended place in the story from the perspective of someone who wasn't put off by it.
Well said, this perfectly sums it up.

Yeah, i feel like 3~4 chapters should be the target.

My biggest concern right now (starting chapter2 just now) is the ending, i have a feeling it's going to disappoint.
Nah, it won't. I have total confidence that Selebus will see this through with the same quality from start to finish. It's not like this is a money project, he's making it because he wants to, the money aspect only comes in where we get involved, but he has every intention of finishing the game. It is a passion project.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021

Yeah i'm totally cool with others liking it, we're all different people. Thanks for being respectful, i was honestly expecting to cop some serious hate for saying something negative, as usually happens on the internet. Anyway, good luck to everyone who likes this game.

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah i'm totally cool with others liking it, we're all different people. Thanks for being respectful, i was honestly expecting to cop some serious hate for saying something negative, as usually happens on the internet. Anyway, good luck to everyone who likes this game.
Nah, this game, and the Denpa genre in general, just isn't for everyone. There's always going to be people who don't like something, there would probably be people who don't like that it wasn't a Denpa game if it wasn't one. You can't please everyone and the game typically suffers in general if a developer even tries to.

Reactions: Bingoogus

hcguy

Aug 29, 2019
I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I respect Selebus' work enough to try. I am always amazed by the mental gymnastics that people can go through to argue that a) piracy somehow isn't wrong, or b) piracy is wrong, but this specific form of piracy I am doing is somehow not wrong.

I have <checks> 15,000 or so songs on my computer. Every one of them I have either purchased through iTunes or uploaded to my PC from a CD that I purchased. When I was a teenager, I definitely borrowed cassettes (to date myself) from friends and made copies of them. because I was a teenager and teenagers are idiots. But I have been an adult for many, many years now and I understand things on the moral level of a adult, not a child. I understand that if I cannot afford something, I do without. I understand that taking something without paying for it is wrong. I understand that I am not entitled to instantly gratify every urge and desire that I have, especially at the expense of others.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes