• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

MrMax

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not a developer but I used to work in IT as a tech. These delays seem just like what was happening with full time programmers. From what I understand, many developers here are part time and have regular jobs. That so many still continue after the trials and tribulations of real life impresses me.
I do work in tech and you are right up to a point. The lying and the inconsistency: if you can have years of constant releases and then start screwing up for no apparent reason it's on you and your time management, and then lying about things being alllllmost done for days and weeks, that's just devaluing your customer.
I know IT professionals do both all the time but they also have some management breathing down their necks to keep this shit to a minimum

Ooh

Jun 9, 2018
I do work in tech and you are right up to a point. The lying and the inconsistency: if you can have years of constant releases and then start screwing up for no apparent reason it's on you and your time management, and then lying about things being alllllmost done for days and weeks, that's just devaluing your customer.
I know IT professionals do both all the time but they also have some management breathing down their necks to keep this shit to a minimum
That's why this game has such a love/hate relationship with me. I love the game but I hate the devs practices. Not knocking what hes accomplished but there is a sneaking suspicion that he's milking it and you don't have to be a programmer to know when something doesn't add up. That's what these threads are for, if we didn't give constructive feedback there would still be a stupid sanity meter in this game. DMD's MC would still have blueballs also. He's not the worse dev, I still think that belongs to Icstor and Dark Cookie. Great games with terrible developers, they are the EA of Renpy games lol

jon123789

Jan 6, 2018
to be honest all of his updates are to short I would rather wait over a month for a lot of story than a short burst that last only 5 minutes. but I will say this is one of the best stories I have ever seen.

uncejay

May 19, 2017
I am a supporter, and I will tell you that he has changed. He used to be a "perfect" developer- regular updates with great communication. He has now delayed an update twice, and used the excuse that he will be combining updates. Oh, but he somehow found time to do cross-promotion, but no time to update his financial backers. Now the combined update is delayed for some unknown reason. But the real problem for me is that he doesn't seem to want to initiate communication anymore- two months in a row he has not said anything until the end of the month, and then only after he was asked. And the responses are vague ("....I'm sorry but unfortunately there has come to some changes about the release... again. I'm sorry about that. I'll have more details tomorrow in my next post.") Then nothing for days. All he does is apologize and not release the update. He is definitely falling into the Gumdrop Games pit. This is my last month of support no matter what happens now.

And I really like this game. Too bad.

anschwww

May 10, 2017
yeah, .... I really think, he is out of ideas.

He started this game of "Lewd Robinson" with no idea, how to fill this game.

So which filler next?
Pirates? Check
Corruption drugs? Check
What's next? No clue :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The longer a person does something the less fun it becomes. The Celtic proverb "What is new is bright, What is familiar is stale".
Lewd Island may have transitioned from a hobby to a job.
Remember for every beautiful woman there will be a guy sick of fucking her.

throw_nws

Jul 19, 2017
Then nothing for days. All he does is apologize and not release the update. He is definitely falling into the Gumdrop Games pit. This is my last month of support no matter what happens now.

Im in this same exact same boat. I'm a high tiered patron to XRED, and i honestly had my mouse hovering over the 'cancel' button on the 31st, before payments kicked in.

I sponsored him because he had showed steady progress, on top of the monthly updates. His renders has really matured, and his animations are fantastic. The one thing i love about this game is D's writing. She can switch from brat to princess to sultry goddess and none of it feels forced, unlike some games that just add dirty talk and it seems so out of character.

But his behaviour the last 2 months has been questionable, almost ICSTOR like just without the snark. Barring A+++ unbeatable content, this is most likely my last month of support also.

Last edited:

RobZombi3

Donor
Oct 15, 2019
I am a supporter, and I will tell you that he has changed. He used to be a "perfect" developer- regular updates with great communication. He has now delayed an update twice, and used the excuse that he will be combining updates. Oh, but he somehow found time to do cross-promotion, but no time to update his financial backers. Now the combined update is delayed for some unknown reason. But the real problem for me is that he doesn't seem to want to initiate communication anymore- two months in a row he has not said anything until the end of the month, and then only after he was asked. And the responses are vague ("....I'm sorry but unfortunately there has come to some changes about the release... again. I'm sorry about that. I'll have more details tomorrow in my next post.") Then nothing for days. All he does is apologize and not release the update. He is definitely falling into the Gumdrop Games pit. This is my last month of support no matter what happens now.

Is this a new plague? I mean how many damn great projects were abandoned, completed in rush and nonsensical manner or with mindset of flipping bird to the community. Milking the audience and patrons seems like a "successful" dev model.

This is beyond sad and I strongly believe its doing serious harm to the rest of devs that are still in a ship of great communication, steady updates etc. Not that just antagonize and discourages people to support on patreon at all but also shows still reputable developers that there is easier way to make dosh for little to no effort.

Just do a little amazing demo (or small part of the game), promise heavens and suck on that patron tit.

Conversion to this new milking religion is a pure cancer and I really hope some of still faithful devs will stay on the righteous path to our salvation of them customers and fans. Reputation still matter, people don't forget and forgive easily (I hope)...

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
The whole practice of releasing the game in parts encourages the milking. Smart devs can milk a single "game" for years and years with no end in sight (bigger=better, eh?). And they're using the Patreon as a Netflix type subscription. The best adult games I experienced had been released as full completed games and for free. If someone wants to develop a game, why not just do it with the tools available? If people like the concept, they'll support the development. Updates on the progress is enough, no need to release the unfinished parts unless the game is nearly finished and needs beta-testers. I'd prefer a shorter but consistent game to a bloated confusing mess.

RobZombi3

Donor
Oct 15, 2019
The whole practice of releasing the game in parts encourages the milking. Smart devs can milk a single "game" for years and years with no end in sight (bigger=better, eh?). And they're using the Patreon as a Netflix type subscription. The best adult games I experienced had been released as full completed games and for free.
To be completely honest, like it or not, money produce quality. Making good, or even better great, games is not an easy nor cheap task. You need a lot of time, knowledge and skill, good idea, means of production (very much pumped up PC or several) and if you go full time, means to sustain yourself. For some projects even more people to speed up or cover skill holes you are not efficient of doing yourself.

We are not talking about games that are being sold or backed up by big publishers. This is underground level where your game will inevitably be played for free so IMHO patreon is great idea for devs to value their effort as any creator would and should to remain active and motivated.

Does it encourages milking? Well, I would say it's incites corruption of those who do stop to value reputation, personal pride and respect of their audience over money gain. So IMHO there is not necessary direct link to milking in patronage idea but there is definitely a rising numbers of those that does so.

Is there a better way (for all sides)? No in my opinion.

If people like the concept, they'll support the development. Updates on the progress is enough, no need to release the unfinished parts unless the game is nearly finished
How exactly would you make them like the concept in the first place if there was no "demo"? By still images? Animations? Text?
People are whimsical. How would you keep your audience sure that you are delivering what you promised, to keep them supporting you?
Also in your logic, GD for example is actually delivering "updates on progress" in his "previews". If a new guy comes around he would assume everything is ok and pledged him support. Now you can just check when the last time game was actually updated instead of falling for false promises.
I believe that there would actually be a huge rise of milking devs if they were ("allowed") just working months (years) on a full game without any playable results in the meantime.

I'd prefer a shorter but consistent game to a bloated confusing mess.
Longetivity is a very subjective factor. You prefer shorter full games? Ok. I like long games with character progression, quality renders, animations (if possible) and superb imagery. There is definitely "market" and good devs for both.

LemmeFapNow

Aug 19, 2019
''467 of 500 patrons

If we reach this goal, I'll be able to leave my day job, and spend more time on this project.
4 of 4 ''

If I remember correctly he had more than 500 patrons. Imagine him quiting his job and now lose all of his patrons that would be really bad for him.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
@RobZombi3
Sure, you might need to release demos from time to time but are we seriously considering the not-so-monthly updates as demos? Because they really aren't. I won't argue with your valid points, but I'll ask. How many long games do you know that are consistent in quality through and through? A handful I bet. In my opinion, almost every continuous game has either:
1) A good example - a slightly mediocre beginning that gets much better the further you play. Either the renders are getting better or new features are implemented when the authors reach their goals. When all the parts are released, they're done with the game as if it doesn't need any polish. Most of the authors are really reluctant to fix things in the early updates or bring the quality up with the rest of the game. Therefore the final product doesn't feel whole but as multiple parts roughly stitched together which they are exactly that.

2) A bad example - rushed releases, the plot is all over the place, features getting added and cut, numerous coding bugs in the later updates (scenes not triggering or wrong scenes triggering, giving incorrect amount/not giving points, etc) and overall staleness of the latter half due to bloat or author's lack of passion.

RobZombi3

Donor
Oct 15, 2019
@RobZombi3
Sure, you might need to release demos from time to time but are we seriously considering the not-so-monthly updates as demos? Because they really aren't. I won't argue with your valid points, but I'll ask. How many long games do you know that are consistent in quality through and through? A handful I bet. In my opinion, almost every continuous game has either:
1) A good example - a slightly mediocre beginning that gets much better the further you play. Either the renders are getting better or new features are implemented when the authors reach their goals. When all the parts are released, they're done with the game as if it doesn't need any polish. Most of the authors are really reluctant to fix things in the early updates or bring the quality up with the rest of the game. Therefore the final product doesn't feel whole but as multiple parts roughly stitched together which they are exactly that.

2) A bad example - rushed releases, the plot is all over the place, features getting added and cut, numerous coding bugs in the later updates (scenes not triggering or wrong scenes triggering, giving incorrect amount/not giving points, etc) and overall staleness of the latter half due to bloat or author's lack of passion.
Well since there are usually many features missing, story just prologues or so, bugs and glitches occuring - I would say most games first parts of the content (neverming the planned lenght) might be labeled as demo for show. Of course when a game progresses its shifts more to a unfinished full game than just a simple demo. Good or bad games, long or short, pacing yourself is super important to keep yourself interested as the creator and more importantly your fandom hype in green numbers.

I am not focusing just on quality of the product released (if you refer to my recent post) but very much also on communication and steady progress being made and presented to the audience.

I wholeheartedly agree that there are good and bad examples, sometimes things just go all wrong and on rare occasion a creator deliver long game masterpiece from the start to finish. Sure, many long games have issues, story might get clunky and wierd but imagery, animation and/or other features/qualities might make it worthy of playing anyway.

Definitely I still do enjoy short intensive quality game as well. Its nothing bad about it. That being sad I honestly don't know a short game that would make me remember it fondly like DoD, DA, Lancaster Boarding House or The Babysitter. I usually just wish all stuff I play to last longer and go for more depth.

Don't we all want to last longer in general? All meanings applicable :BootyTime:

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
The desire for longevity is very subjective. An outstanding short experience often is infinitely better than long "not as bad as could be" one. It's important to be mindful of your pacing as it's easy to overstay your welcome. Sometimes you wish the thing to be over soon and it's never good.

oulala93

Aug 30, 2017

Update about upcoming release
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, this version is long overdue and I'm sorry I wasn't able to release it sooner. I was making some changes which unfortunately didn't work out and they cost me a ton of time. The whole idea behind the change was to continue with the big versions like the day 9 Full, but it all backfired and ruined my whole scheduling and my creative process.
The upcoming version will be named Lewd Island day 10 morning and will have 330 new renders and 14 new animations. It's planned to be released first half of this week, with the following day 10 afternoon also targeting for the end of this month.
A couple of animations still need to be finished with rendering and the update is ready for release.
Thank you all for your support! This project wouldn't be possible without it!
Cheers!

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I hope he gets back on track, his updates were never particularly big, but they came at a steady, quick pace for a long time.
Sadly, for the last 6-8 months that has changed and I would really like to know why, even though I still give Xred the benefit of the doubt, because he has done better in the past and deserves the chance to show he can return to that.

3.30 star(s) 119 Votes