Dank Quixote

Jan 1, 2019
From Googling:

How far can you see a boat before it disappears because of the curvature of the Earth?
Assuming a man's height to be about 6 feet, that is, 1.8 meters and earth's radius is 6400,000 meters. Assuming earth is spherical.
The right triangle formed is :

View attachment 672650

And we have equation

(R+x)^2 = R^2 + y^2

R and x are known (see above), and y is to be known.

Calculation tells y is little more than 5 Kms.

Next, y should be approximately equal to the distance of the boat from the feet of man. Thus, he will be able to see the boat up to little more than 5 Kms.

How far away can gunshots be heard from?
It would depend on the gun as some are louder than others but essentially two miles before no one could hear it. The dB drops pretty fast for instance a rifle of 134 decibels at the gun would most likely not be recognizable at two miles.

Two is less than 5, although other factors could mitigate. Can we be done now? I know, I said I was done before, but I hate to concede and I thought others might pick up the discussion.

PS: I believe the lights were on.
During the night, they can get much closer without being spotted. Besides, you wouldn't necessarily be able to make out the silhouette of the yacht at that distance. Other than that, you're just repeating what I already said. Humans suck at discerning illumination at a distance so at 5km, the lights being on might not matter that much, since it's not a large vessel. A 9mm can be as loud as 160dB but sound is kinda' tricky and there's a lot more to it than decibels. Anyways.. I'm done with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: billclinton99

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
During the night, they can get much closer without being spotted. Besides, you wouldn't necessarily be able to make out the silhouette of the yacht at that distance. Other than that, you're just repeating what I already said. Humans suck at discerning illumination at a distance so at 5km, the lights being on might not matter that much, since it's not a large vessel. A 9mm can be as loud as 160dB but sound is kinda' tricky and there's a lot more to it than decibels. Anyways.. I'm done with this.
With no wind and calm seas a 9mm gunshot can be heard from over 15 Km, as sound carries well over water. And at 10 Km that ship if it were 7 m high would be over the horizon as a navy trained watch station lookout I would know.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
With no wind and calm seas a 9mm gunshot can be heard from over 15 Km, as sound carries well over water. And at 10 Km that ship if it were 7 m high would be over the horizon as a navy trained watch station lookout I would know.
Okay, based on my google search; while there were some variations in answers, no expert said that a shot could be heard that far away. I recheck the game and the lights ARE ON in the ship. So they would be even more noticeable at night. Why would they move closer to the island at night anyway, to listen for gunshots.

Anyway, I have asked what posters my think of an OLDBOY scenario with no replies. It has occurred to me that maybe no one is familiar with the movie. Is that the case, or is there just no interest in that idea?

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i honestly hated the way things turned out at the end of this chapter/version ... i kinda felt it going down the tubes for me a few versions back ... but i guess the Dev has his plans for this game ... so good luck with the way things turn out ... i'm done with it ..
honestly i really did enjoy this game for awhile ... but not my cup of tea now (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Reactions: grv

Dank Quixote

Jan 1, 2019
Okay, based on my google search; while there were some variations in answers, no expert said that a shot could be heard that far away. I recheck the game and the lights ARE ON in the ship. So they would be even more noticeable at night. Why would they move closer to the island at night anyway, to listen for gunshots.

Anyway, I have asked what posters my think of an OLDBOY scenario with no replies. It has occurred to me that maybe no one is familiar with the movie. Is that the case, or is there just no interest in that idea?
We could go into how sound works but that would require a physics lecture.
If you're talking about the Japanese movie, then yes, I have seen it. But you'd have to be a bit more specific. You mean they'd get locked up in a room together for years?

It's obvious from the game that they know the MC but he doesn't remember them. Either something went wrong, resulting in memory loss. Or the memory loss was intentional but the people on the ship don't know that since their boss hasn't told them everything.

I don't think they were meant to be left on that island forever if that's what you're thinking.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
We could go into how sound works but that would require a physics lecture.
If you're talking about the Japanese movie, then yes, I have seen it. But you'd have to be a bit more specific. You mean they'd get locked up in a room together for years?

It's obvious from the game that they know the MC but he doesn't remember them. Either something went wrong, resulting in memory loss. Or the memory loss was intentional but the people on the ship don't know that since their boss hasn't told them everything.

I don't think they were meant to be left on that island forever if that's what you're thinking.
I really don't think that it is the case, just interesting to contemplate. What if F & D were put on the island under the influence of drugs (with continued dosing through the alcohol) to get the two to enter into a sexual relationship? The revenge comes when the drugs are removed and F realizes what he has done.

I have had college level physics and have also had college level courses on how hearing works. Many people using background noise (often the sound of the ocean) to mask sounds that may interrupt their sleep, for examples sounds from a busy street. The issue is not the sound itself, but the ability for some one to hear it. The ship is far enough away that the lights cannot be seen from the island. It is my contention that a gunshot would not be heard over the masking noise coming from the ocean and noises originating from the ship and crew. I suggest we end the conversation on this topic because neither of us will change the mind of the other.

Jstforme

Dec 20, 2019

I served in the Navy, the main variables are distance, and weather. They were in a yacht, not a ship...so you don't need to be "that far" out to be out of eyesight. If you've been anchored in the same spot for over a week, your hearing gets accustomed to your surroundings, so even a few miles out, that shot will ring out enough for someone to hear it.
Other minor factors were the weather...was a calm night, so no chop from the waves, no wind to drown it out. So yea, very possible she actually heard the gun shoot.

Reactions: Dank Quixote

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
I served in the Navy, the main variables are distance, and weather. They were in a yacht, not a ship...so you don't need to be "that far" out to be out of eyesight. If you've been anchored in the same spot for over a week, your hearing gets accustomed to your surroundings, so even a few miles out, that shot will ring out enough for someone to hear it.
Other minor factors were the weather...was a calm night, so no chop from the waves, no wind to drown it out. So yea, very possible she actually heard the gun shoot.
At this point, I really don't care. It was one item in a list of flaws in the story. How this one thing became so fixated on, I'll never know.

woj_tec

Oct 10, 2017
From Googling:

How far can you see a boat before it disappears because of the curvature of the Earth?
Assuming a man's height to be about 6 feet, that is, 1.8 meters and earth's radius is 6400,000 meters. Assuming earth is spherical.

View attachment 672650

And we have equation

(R+x)^2 = R^2 + y^2

R and x are known (see above), and y is to be known.

Calculation tells y is little more than 5 Kms.

Next, y should be approximately equal to the distance of the boat from the feet of man. Thus, he will be able to see the boat up to little more than 5 Kms.

How far away can gunshots be heard from?
It would depend on the gun as some are louder than others but essentially two miles before no one could hear it. The dB drops pretty fast for instance a rifle of 134 decibels at the gun would most likely not be recognizable at two miles.

Two is less than 5, although other factors could mitigate. Can we be done now? I know, I said I was done before, but I hate to concede and I thought others might pick up the discussion.

PS: I believe the lights were on.
First: this was shot near to water, sound vibration in water you can hear not only linear...
Two: this is .45" caliber... is wery loud...

woj_tec

Oct 10, 2017
They can be spotted by motor sound... :)
11.43 is much louder...

samis

May 24, 2017
hi. is this update ad good stuff to the game. i'm a big fan but playing from start...

preskerd

Sep 27, 2017
I must say I expected much more content. I played this game like a year ago ( or 6-7 months not sure) and I'm suprised how little content the game got in that time. Why so slow?

Skode

Mar 9, 2020
I must say I expected much more content. I played this game like a year ago ( or 6-7 months not sure) and I'm suprised how little content the game got in that time. Why so slow?
A one man dev team who is still has a day job to juggle.

robertalo18

Jan 15, 2019
I got a problem, a few days ago i played the game very well, but now i can't played, when I start the game th window stays in blank. What can I do?

3.30 star(s) 119 Votes