dosenspezi

May 2, 2017
It's not obsolete because a lot of events send you back there, depending on time of day. While it no longer has direct links to other places (except the home location), it still serves as a "hub" of sorts. You'll go there less often than you used to, though, since you can now move directly between otherwise unrelated locations without going through the streets first.
Why not using home instead and from home to the town map without another transporting screen?

Reactions: Pendrag

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Why not using home instead and from home to the town map without another transporting screen?
Because that would mean the MC returns home after every single action he performs in town. I return the player to the streets because that makes far more sense, as if you're stepping out of whatever building you were in.

I need to keep the Home location isolated and without a map screen because events may trigger as a result of leaving that location, unlike most others. For an example of this, look at Samarra's and Nell's arrival in town. If I were to hook that into the map system, the code would turn into an ungainly mess and the event would confuse the player anyway ("Hey, I just clicked the library. Why am I in the streets looking at a bunch of horses?").

Pendrag

Nov 14, 2018
LOL its exactly as I think (Crone's identity) ..... and that scene with Belle - perfect (including that "rocket")
PS: I hope we can meet Fairy Queen soon again

Reactions: Belle

Pendrag

Nov 14, 2018
Can you add point to map for stables and training ground (and maybe for Samara's tent)?? I think it will be better....

and for that problem with streets - can't you use that map as "location"? (when you leave home you go to "map").... useless streets are weird

Reactions: johnconnor

weaselman

Apr 6, 2018
tbh I was actually dissapointed when the MC said that this wasn't his vision since it was quite clear that it belonged to the crone (with the whole foreshadowing, you're not strong enough to do that to me-line)

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Can you add point to map for stables and training ground (and maybe for Samara's tent)?? I think it will be better....
Too much clutter. More importantly, the town hall is intended to function as a hub you need to transition through to reach those places. There are historical reasons why I did it this way that I might still need. For example, I originally planned (but never implemented) guards keeping you away from the town hall in the days after Samarra and Nell arrive. The stables, training grounds, and Samarra's tent are all within the walls behind the town hall, so the idea is that you can't reach them without going through that place first.

and for that problem with streets - can't you use that map as "location"? (when you leave home you go to "map").... useless streets are weird
The streets are not useless, as I just explained a few posts ago.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
The important point here is this: if you hadn't seen the original PNG, you would never have noticed any of those things.
Except for some things on the right side that are white in the png and dark in the jpg, I can't tell the difference. At all.

Have you thought about using webp? Better compression than jpeg at the same quality. Lossless might be better than the jpeg compression you're currently using, and would satisfy the folks who can see the difference.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Except for some things on the right side that are white in the png and dark in the jpg, I can't tell the difference. At all.
Good catch! There's actually a problem with the 3D assets I used in this scene, which meant that some parts of the image where the asset was "missing" became transparent to a varying degree. PNGs support transparency, so you're probably seeing white because that's how your image viewer (or browser) decides to handle that. For the JPG, I've already manually fixed the problem by turning transparent sections of the image black.

So as an example of differences between the two formats, that was just about the worst image I could have picked.

Have you thought about using webp? Better compression than jpeg at the same quality. Lossless might be better than the jpeg compression you're currently using, and would satisfy the folks who can see the difference.
I've heard it mentioned but don't see much of a need. The game is already small enough, and replacing the image format at this point would be an absolutely punishing amount of work (with a large potential for bugs) for little real gain.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I've heard it mentioned but don't see much of a need. The game is already small enough, and replacing the image format at this point would be an absolutely punishing amount of work (with a large potential for bugs) for little real gain.
If you and your patrons are happy with the size, there's no need to do anything. At 414 megs for the Mac version, I certainly can't complain!

But, in the future if you want to change, setting up a script to call cwebp (the free webp converter from google) is really simple.

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
If you and your patrons are happy with the size, there's no need to do anything. At 414 megs for the Mac version, I certainly can't complain!

But, in the future if you want to change, setting up a script to call cwebp (the free webp converter from google) is really simple.
And along that line, if you have all the original pngs still, someone else could do the batch convert for you on the original images and deliver them in a format where you could just drop them back into the game, with the appropriate codec, and no one would be the wiser, except the images would be better.

k8pohni

Dec 9, 2018
That's life these days though.....take, take, take with no give or even appreciation. Besides if you can't play without a walkthrough are you really playing? I can understand using one to help with tough spots but just blindly following a walkthrough just seems blagh to me.
What would be awesome would be game help à la the ... (no not volunteering as tribute)

TheKryptonian

Truth, Justice, and TheKryptonian way...
Donor
Nov 22, 2018
@Belle You said its obvious that Evelyn loves the MC and her dark secret is far darker then her feelings of incest but I have a suspicion that its more a mix of guilt/love.

I may be totally wrong but I get the feeling she knows far more about how and why the MC has all this hidden knowledge and who locked it away. Like the MC has been prepared for a long time for the path he is now walking and this was not a voluntary assignment.

Reactions: smokebox

HB38

Oct 3, 2017

Webp isn't a default though; so it may break for some users.

Reactions: Antosha

Gabriel0316

Sep 13, 2018
Great game and renders, I wonder if the fairy Belle is created to look like the creator?... Except the wings part. ;)

And also thinking to myself if such a game can be done without a walkthrough... Or there's some hints inside I've passed by?

Reactions: Belle

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Webp isn't a default though; so it may break for some users.
Ren'Py handles webp. If someone can't open an individual image file he or she can install the webp codec. Anyone who can figure out how to unpack the rpa can figure out how to do that, or ask how.

Reactions: RobJoy

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
Why does the MC blush when he has an erection? When that much blood rushes to your penis your face will go pale, not flushed. I'm surprised this isn't common knowledge, because schoolgirls told me this was how they knew guys (including me) were getting an erection in class.

Reactions: Cirro84
4.60 star(s) 376 Votes