Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
That's where the term originated, though (that is, within the ero media community). It's a neologism that appeared only in the late 90s surrounding ero VNs and doujinshi. The content it was used to describe is older than the term itself. An established relationship is not needed, but there needs to be mutual affection (without mutual affection, it's called BSS). Given the informal nature of the term though, there's argument about it everywhere. Especially the BSS scenarios are recently parodied heavily in media as a form of entitlement.
:sigh: Mostly, I get that, however it happens to be defined, there are people for whom it's a huge squick, and others for whom it's a huge turn on. As someone for whom it's neither, the endless (frequently heated) conversations in just about every thread about what does and doesn't constitute NTR/netorare/netori/whatever get more than a bit tedious. Which I am willing if not happy to admit is my problem.

MysteryCrabs

Dec 15, 2019
:sigh: Mostly, I get that, however it happens to be defined, there are people for whom it's a huge squick, and others for whom it's a huge turn on. As someone for whom it's neither, the endless (frequently heated) conversations in just about every thread about what does and doesn't constitute NTR/netorare/netori/whatever get more than a bit tedious. Which I am willing if not happy to admit is my problem.
The issue is that the word does not accurately describe what people like or dislike, which is why there is an argument. It would be much simpler if people just said things like "I don't like seeing a potential love interest have sex with someone else" or "I like to see the MC's wife get corrupted by having sex with another man". People just like to lean on terms in order to get more people in their "group" because there is greater overlap. If they are using a "term" then they look less willful as it's something common enough to enter language

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
The issue is that the word does not accurately describe what people like or dislike, which is why there is an argument. It would be much simpler if people just said things like "I don't like seeing a potential love interest have sex with someone else" or "I like to see the MC's wife get corrupted by having sex with another man". People just like to lean on terms in order to get more people in their "group" because there is greater overlap. If they are using a "term" then they look less willful as it's something common enough to enter language
I get that, honestly, and I agree, the imprecision of the language is a problem. (We can talk about the philosophical problem of language's imperfection in general another day. ;) )

I'm just saying that, as someone who couldn't care less either way, knowing that the minute any of the currently-in-use words pops up in a thread, that's all the thread is going to talk about for pages and pages — it gets a bit old.

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
I love this game, but I also find it incredibly frustrating the more I look into it... It constantly seems to punish you and hide content from you based on your decisions. I put so much effort into proving Primroses innocence on time.. I thought I did the right thing that would allow me to see all the content, but what do I find when skimming the walkthrough? By doing that I am denied an entire section where Prim is in a cell and I can get her to be naked in there and have fun visits with her. So the game actively punishes me for playing well...

..and then I see there's all sorts of confusing decisions about rejecting/accepting advances (with no indications of which content I will arbitrarily be blocked from for choosing one or another) and well as choosing if girls are girlfriends or just friends without knowing if that means I'm being blocked from content with other characters as a result. What should be a fun experience of opening new content is becoming more and more a struggle against the games attempts to permanently block me from it's content. It's infuriating.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I love this game, but I also find it incredibly frustrating the more I look into it... It constantly seems to punish you and hide content from you based on your decisions. I put so much effort into proving Primroses innocence on time.. I thought I did the right thing that would allow me to see all the content, but what do I find when skimming the walkthrough? By doing that I am denied an entire section where Prim is in a cell and I can get her to be naked in there and have fun visits with her. So the game actively punishes me for playing well...

..and then I see there's all sorts of confusing decisions about rejecting/accepting advances (with no indications of which content I will arbitrarily be blocked from for choosing one or another) and well as choosing if girls are girlfriends or just friends without knowing if that means I'm being blocked from content with other characters as a result. What should be a fun experience of opening new content is becoming more and more a struggle against the games attempts to permanently block me from it's content. It's infuriating.
You misunderstand. You're not missing content because of your choices. You're just taking different paths with different scenes available to them. It will be completely impossible to encounter all the scenes in one playthrough. The game is designed around this philosophy. The concept of choice (that means something) is core and center to the design of Long Live the Princess. I don't punish "wrong" choices but instead, allow them to open new paths with different rewards. This will be even more true as I start to flesh things out after NG+.

Embrace your choices. You'll have plenty of chances in NG+ to try different ones, and I will do my damndest to make sure it's fun and not tedious to go through the game in that mode.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
For the record, I'm considering making the time limit optional, a choice you make at the start of the game (alongside a different one that I will reveal later). It would break the game and its intended purpose, but for players who absolutely cannot stand a time limit of any kind, at least they'll have a choice. The ending is going to lose a lot of its impact on them, but I can warn them about this when they make the choice in the first place.

I personally feel like choosing to remove the time limit would be like pissing in your pants to stay warm, but if it's the thing that decides whether or not someone even plays the game, to begin with, then maybe the proverbial pissing of your pants should be an optional feature after all.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018

You can't get ALL the content in one playthrough in any game with choices, it's what choices are designed for, to get you to choose.

You might want to stick to movies or kinetic novels, there are no choices to make and you can see it all.

If it handed all the content over, it would make choices pointless and they may as well not be there. The entire game would be ruined just because you can't understand how games work.

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
You can't get ALL the content in one playthrough in any game with choices, it's what choices are designed for, to get you to choose.

You might want to stick to movies or kinetic novels, there are no choices to make and you can see it all.

If it handed all the content over, it would make choices pointless and they may as well not be there. The entire game would be ruined just because you can't understand how games work.
Why might I want to "stick to movies or kinetic novels"? Am I not entitled to voice an opinion about a game mechanic that frustrates me without being told I shouldn't be playing a certain type of game? One should voice their opinion on these things. I'm sorry that opinion upset you to the point you felt the need to be insulting.

Nothing I said was untrue. The "choices" presented aren't really choices if you have no expectations about their outcomes. I have no way of knowing that not clearing Prims name wouldn't lead to a game over (let alone leads to an alternate path), so it wasn't a choice. It was doing what the game told me to do. Nor do I have any idea if accepting a girlfriend proposal means cutting off content with other characters. If I'm completely in the dark about the alternatives, then I have no idea I'm even making a choice at all.

SonicMan1234

Mar 17, 2019
The point of "locking" content is to promote going back and doing multiple playthroughs, either fresh or with NG+. Like, of course some things are going to be confusing, LLtP has never been about giving you all the answers to all the problems. You have to pay at least a little attention to everything and everybody, like in real life, as if these were actually people. Can't just mash the mouse and jack off the whole time. There's some actual light gameplay elements here paired with some great writing and it's honestly refreshing. There's some actual smart game design here that pushes the limits of a usually limited engine/style of game.

KillerKlown

Aug 19, 2018
For the record, I'm considering making the time limit optional, a choice you make at the start of the game (alongside a different one that I will reveal later). It would break the game and its intended purpose, but for players who absolutely cannot stand a time limit of any kind, at least they'll have a choice. The ending is going to lose a lot of its impact on them, but I can warn them about this when they make the choice in the first place.

I personally feel like choosing to remove the time limit would be like pissing in your pants to stay warm, but if it's the thing that decides whether or not someone even plays the game, to begin with, then maybe the proverbial pissing of your pants should be an optional feature after all.
Stick to your guns. When people make these type of compliants, it's because you're doing a good job. You leave them wanting more, but with the tools to do so. Please don't waiver like Summertime Saga did, and make it so further plays throughs are pointless

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Selena has not been crowned yet. So, still a princess. And Nell qualifies as a princess as well, being the daughter of a queen. At least until she is a queen herself
The Fey don't work that way though... it's said early on, that the title of "Queen" is not inheritable in Fey society.
And So far Selena is not in the game.... she is only a hinted shadow to become.
We heard of 3 Fairy Queens, the first we never met, the second one steps down inorder to die after looseing most of her Powers by saveing you, and finally you convince Nelle to take the test about becomeing the next Fey Queen... and she succeeds.... so I repeat myself TECHNICALLY there is only 1 Princess included in the game right now

4.60 star(s) 375 Votes