LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
The ending was kinda a letdown. Wasn't expecting to Ben Shapiro my way into defeating a demon. Anticlimactic. But otherwise I liked the game.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
The ending was kinda a letdown. Wasn't expecting to Ben Shapiro my way into defeating a demon. Anticlimactic. But otherwise I liked the game.
In a game where your entire training is focused on using Invade Mind and Remove Inhibitions, you didn't expect that the climax would revolve around these two spells? Really? I mean, how could I have signposted it any clearer? Did you expect a swordfight?

I deliberately built this story and its puzzles to prepare players for the endgame puzzle. That's the point. It was one of the first things I wrote so that I would have a clear idea of what I was honing the experience in on.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
In a game where your entire training is focused on using Invade Mind and Remove Inhibitions, you didn't expect that the climax would revolve around these two spells? Really? I mean, how could I have signposted it any clearer? Did you expect a swordfight?

I deliberately built this story and its puzzles to prepare players for the endgame puzzle. That's the point. It was one of the first things I wrote so that I would have a clear idea of what I was honing the experience in on.
Well, some people will always complain about endings not being the exact way they invisioned it. It's not your fault.
I've yet to play the game to the end, last time I played it was still far from being there, but I can already say that having something that doesn't revolve around becoming a legendary swordman or an overpowered fireball throwing lightning spewing magician, is a nice fresh new thing.
Your game is a favorite of mine for a reason.

It's not just because of a certain fairy.

Okay it's half that, but still.

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020

It didn't have to be the MC at all who took down the demon. It could have been any of the other characters who were proficient at magic. It could have been the former fairy queen or Lilith or even leanen sidhe for that matter.

Now that being said, I didn't say that the game was shit or that the ending was shit or something like that. I said the ending was anti climactic with how easy it was to get rid of the demon. And that too is my personal opinion. It's subjective. So you don't need to get defensive mate. And I did say that I liked the game. Cheers!

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
It didn't have to be the MC at all who took down the demon. It could have been any of the other characters who were proficient at magic. It could have been the former fairy queen or Lilith or even leanen sidhe for that matter.
Isn't there someone at the beginning of the game saying literally to the MC that he's the only one who can do something to save the day though ?

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
Isn't there someone at the beginning of the game saying literally to the MC that he's the only one who can do something to save the day though ?
But didn't we find out later that merek considered primrose before the MC? So I doubt it was anything set in stone. Anyway, the mc did do the majority of the work of course. The final battle could be fought by anyone. Anyway, I am not whinging. I did quite like the game. The gameplay didn't feel repetitive or boring. The story is nice. I liked the MC and the other characters. It is a good game.

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
If I remember correctly, Merek had 2 choices - the MC or Primrose. Given Primrose's studious nature, Merek thought she would be a better candidate, only it turns out that Primrose wasn't magically adept, while the MC was. So he had to make do with what he had.

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
But the idea wasn't to make her into a fireball hurling master mage either way.
I never asked for that. Nor was it the point of my previous comment. My point was it didn't have to be MC who fought the demon because the game says nowhere that it could only be the MC. To support this argument I said that considering that primrose was the first choice, it wasn't like the MC and the MC alone could hage beaten the demon or that he was destined to do so. It could have been any of the other characters who were better at magic than he was. Also, I never suggested that the dev change the ending or that I found it shit. I just that 'I' found it anticlimactic. That's just a personal opinion man.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I never asked for that. Nor was it the point of my previous comment. My point was it didn't have to be MC who fought the demon because the game says nowhere that it could only be the MC. To support this argument I said that considering that primrose was the first choice, it wasn't like the MC and the MC alone could hage beaten the demon or that he was destined to do so. It could have been any of the other characters who were better at magic than he was. Also, I never suggested that the dev change the ending or that I found it shit. I just that 'I' found it anticlimactic. That's just a personal opinion man.
Didn't said you asked for an ending rewrite.
I just pointed out an old memory from the early days of the game, previously, about someone mentioning that the protag's special kind of magic was the key to save the kingdom (the old witch prehaps ? can't remember). I thought I remembered that being a thing at some point, which would mean that, no, one of the friendly NPCs wouldn't have been able to be the one fighting off the demon in the end if it was his power that was supposed to work.
But then again, old memory. I might be missremembering.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
All right, let's look at the big picture of what's going on in this story and why Dickon is in the unique position of being the only person who could deal with the situation. I'm going to dive into detail that is not readily available in the game without reading between the lines, so consider this MAJOR SPOILER TERRITORY.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
All right, let's look at the big picture of what's going on in this story and why Dickon is in the unique position of being the only person who could deal with the situation. I'm going to dive into detail that is not readily available in the game without reading between the lines, so consider this MAJOR SPOILER TERRITORY.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's pretty fascinating.
It might just be me, but I think that type of informations should be made availiable somehow once you finish the game, to help players understand stuff that is not meant to be known by anyone since it would be too "meta", but would help the player understand more fully once they're done with the story.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
That's pretty fascinating.
It might just be me, but I think that type of informations should be made availiable somehow once you finish the game, to help players understand stuff that is not meant to be known by anyone since it would be too "meta", but would help the player understand more fully once they're done with the story.
I disagree. Ordinarily, I would never share the stuff I just posted. I'm the kind of storyteller who likes to let players reach their own conclusions about character motivations and events that are beyond the scope of the immediate story. Straight up telling you what's going on destroys some of the mystery permanently. Besides, some players may find that their headcanon is more interesting to them than whatever story I came up with, and I like to support that.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I disagree. Ordinarily, I would never share the stuff I just posted. I'm the kind of storyteller who likes to let players reach their own conclusions about character motivations and events that are beyond the scope of the immediate story. Straight up telling you what's going on destroys some of the mystery permanently. Besides, some players may find that their headcanon is more interesting to them than whatever story I came up with, and I like to support that.
Well, you're the creator. In the end, it's up to you. I just, personally, love to see how creators come up with their stuff and how they considered it compared to how players understand it. That's what I find fascinating, that gap between the two.

Reactions: Katsumi-chan

primeumaton

May 4, 2017
Not sure if this has been reported.
So, new save, first time going to the Worksite and getting the bow results in the Abilities screen staying thereafter.
Currently I am just avoiding it entirely so I can play the game.

4.60 star(s) 375 Votes