Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
As for "dead time" (as in, I followed the walkthrough, and there's no unique events towards the final days of book 3), those are mostly set aside for exploring the world and character building (reading books, building stats, going on the paths).
Well, not much exploring, reading, or anything else during Late Night. But this is why I'm explaining that one can finish all the books long before the ending and have nothing else to do except path exploration that gains nothing anymore, because there are no actual consequences to the rest. You've given us this giant sandbox to explore — two fleshed-out cities plus all of Elsewhere — and other than Akane or the group sex with the Chosen — it stops mattering. Honestly, I would've preferred nailbiting timelines in which I could just barely finish everything before the end.

I'll fully grant that I'm salty about Book 3 and it's negatively affecting my impression of the entire game. I'm not going to expand on this until I've played it again, which probably won't happen until next year.

The problem with following the walkthrough is that it frontloads as many unique scenes as early as possible, so all the "dead time" is a contiguous block at the end.
Even if you spread things out like a more rational walkthrough might, there's still plenty of dead time in Book 3; it's not inevtiable that it's all at the end. When I sleep at the King's Dragon, what happens? Nothing, unless I've gotten there earlier (sacrificing non-dead time) and triggered one of the two repeatable events. When I sleep with Emily, what happens? Nothing. But neither of those are avoidable events; we're forced to sleep one of the two places over the course of the book. When I go to any of the locations in which I've bedded one of the minor NPCs, what happens? Nothing.

You don't like repeatable events. Fine and understandable, though you've certainly written plenty. I think they'd improve your second and third books, or at least the third given the state of things with Emily2. And, as noted elsewhere, your main character isn't written as the sort of person who'd deny anyone other than Jenny. Perhaps that, more than anything, is the real issue.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I already have once, and I plan to do so again with bk3 - now that it's complete. There was so much I missed the first time - not just foreshadowing (tho' that too), but things like the entire bringing Draco on the paths arc. But you do you.
I didn't miss anything aside from one relatively minor quest. Don't worry, I saw everything else.

victermanus

Aug 14, 2018
I'm having a weird issue and I'm not certain how to fix it. I downloaded and extracted the win64 version of book 1 but when I run it I get stuck on the main screen and the top says "loading text" but doesn't ever actually load. Anyone know how to fix this?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm having a weird issue and I'm not certain how to fix it. I downloaded and extracted the win64 version of book 1 but when I run it I get stuck on the main screen and the top says "loading text" but doesn't ever actually load. Anyone know how to fix this?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

At a wild guess, the extraction went wrong. I've seen similar issues either because built in zip extractor failed, or because someone put it in a deep path (that pushed absolute filenames > 256 characters) or one that used special characters ($%[]), and confused Unity's addressable system.

Try extracting it using winrar or 7zip, and put it somewhere simple (like c:\tmp or whatever).

Reactions: Morentho

victermanus

Aug 14, 2018
At a wild guess, the extraction went wrong. I've seen similar issues either because built in zip extractor failed, or because someone put it in a deep path (that pushed absolute filenames > 256 characters) or one that used special characters ($%[]), and confused Unity's addressable system.

Try extracting it using winrar or 7zip, and put it somewhere simple (like c:\tmp or whatever).
That fixed it! Thank you

rxiw

Mar 21, 2020
I keep thinking about it; there's three big challenges:
- I need to rewrite the video playback system to use addressables (so they can be downloaded), and all references updated
- I need to rebuild all the addressables using remote downloading options
- I need to host all of this somewhere, without breaking the bank

The problem is all our 'normal' hosting space (mega, etc) don't support hosting stuff like this; I need either an S3 bucket or a web-server somewhere, and while I guess I'll have some downloads, there's not necessarily any clear revenue to pay for that. It's also a LOT of data, even with image quality / video quality reduced, book 2 is 3GB (on Android, 6 on PC) and book 3 11GB (never tried to make an Android version).

Anyways, not as simple as you might imagine; I did fight to keep doing Android builds (the last one on this site downloads from my server to pull down an additional 1GB of data), but maintaining two different version, a much more complex build pipeline, paying for hosting, etc... at the point where just the basics + the videos went over 2GB I said fuck-it.
wouldn't it be possible to import these additional assets locally from another downloaded file? I don't know if something like this can be done with Unity on Android, but large RenPy games often come with a separate archive.rpa file that has to be moved into the app folder after installation. If those files were already on the device you at least wouldn't have to deal with remote downloads and hosting. Out of Touch for example uses 4 additional asset APKs.

edit: nvm, found your comment from August. Unfortunate that there isn't an android version of LoM and Morningstar, but I can understand if it is too much work for you.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020

Please port android
Book 2 and book 3

TheOtherPeter

May 11, 2018
i started playing recently. will there be alot more talk about fucking the MC's dad? i don't mind female characters with previous experiences but when it's with your character's dad... kinda of boner killer

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Note that this is still very early; basically it's the book 3 code / world, with Book 1's content... means stuff like rollback, updated music, updated paths, all the various poker fixes, all the enemies, etc will all come along.

On the flipside it means that data that worked fine on Book 1's codebase is now broken :) I'll be playing through from scratch, adding optional NG+ content, tweaking the existing content and looking for places where my spanky new 4090 card can go brrrrr. the_equisite_art.png

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Well, not much exploring, reading, or anything else during Late Night.
Late night isn't actually a timeslot; it started as "night time, but you've already had your action, so time to go sleep". If I recall it originally became a thing because people were complaining they couldn't take a shower after working the night-shift at the Crowley; evidently this caused PTSD in people with bartending backgrounds.

It doesn't help that, in book 2, I actually broke my own plans and made Molly have Late Night (after her bartending shift ends) actions, like the Dojo dance-number. It made sense at the time, but in retrospect it's not great game design.

In code there's only MORNING/DAY/NIGHT, with a _NIGHT_ACTION flag being responsible for the "late night" state. The fun part of a semi-organic evolution, gameplay wise; I had some thing very clearly in mind (the ending of Act IV, Book 1 and 2 endings, the Wedding, and ActXV, for example) when I was writing the opening act, but other events (catch Molly dancing at the Dojo at night) was very much a product of me sitting down and writing from one 'waypoint' to the next, adding stuff as it felt natural.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes